Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – November 18, 2004

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:09 a.m.

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Tim Haithcoatpresent
Tom Stokespresent

State Members

Gary Beahan (Dep’t of Economic Development)absent
Debbie Briedwell (Dep’t of Health and Senior Services)present
Chair Jeff Falter (State Emergency Management Agency)present
Vice-chair Jeff Haney (Dep’t of Revenue)present
Kevin Keeney (Missouri National Guard)excused
Bobbie Sue Koelling (Dep’t of Elementary and Secondary Education)present
Ryan Lanclos (Dep’t of Agriculture)present
Nathan Mattox (Missouri State Highway Patrol)excused (proxy to Jeff Haney)
WallaceMcMullen(Dep’t of Mental Health)present
Jeff Schloss (Dep’t of Natural Resources)present
Tony Spicci (Dep’t of Conservation)present
Mike Sutherland (Rep. 99th District)absent
Arnold Williams (Dep’t of Transportation)present

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth Cook (USDA-NRCS)present
Secretary David Drum (MOREnet)present
Mike Duncan (St. Louis County Dep’t of Planning)excused
Ray Fox (USGS/MCMC)excused
Dawn Hilderbrand (City of Kansas City)excused
Pam Kelrick (City of Kirksville, Adair Co.)present
Curtis Koons (Cass County)absent
Kevin Kuhlmann (Village of Innsbrook)excused
JamesLaScala(City of Liberty)absent
Steve Marsh (Jackson County)present
Gary Mook (EastWestGateway)excused
Greg Resz (City of Jefferson)present
Kim Swisher (Missouri Mappers Association)absent
Diane True (MoRAP)present

Other Attendees

Jason Ebersole (Dep’t of Transportation)
Kathleen Knudson (Dep’t of Transportation)

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Approval of the Minutes

October minutes on the web site. Minutes were approved by motion (Jeff Schloss), second (Ryan Lanclos), and vote.

Subcommittee Reports

By-lawsJeff Falter

CommunicationsDavid Drum

No Report. Jeff Schloss: subcommittee and liaison page out of date. MGISAC profile on NSGIC web site out of date.

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Jeff Schloss: met to contribute updates to the Work Plan.

Education and OutreachRyan Lanclos

Yesterday was GIS Day. Tim Haithcoat: Mark Duewell and Greg Breuer attended GIS Day at the St. Louis Zoo. Department of Natural Resources Water Protection and Soil Conservation Division Public Drinking Water Branch also attended.

GIS Data PolicyTim Haithcoat

First meeting November 5. Will set up resource area on web site. Concentrating on overview/executive summary, liability statements, disclaimers, data sharing memorandum of understandings.

GIS Training & CertificationTom Stokes

Need to collect and send info to Mark Duewell. Tim Haithcoat: going to pursue URISA certification as a trial run.

GIT ArchitectureTim Haithcoat

Continuing to move architecture forward. Some uncertainty due to Gerry Wethington retirement. Discussedhandout. Questions from Steve Marsh, Debbie Briedwell, Jeff Schloss.

Homeland SecurityDebbie Briedwell

Good turnout for October 28 meeting. Worked on Work Plan. Discussed direction. Work on improved communication with Federal, State agencies. Look at grants. Support local government efforts to incorporate GIS into Homeland Security grants. Next meeting November 30 at 9 a.m. at the Department of Natural Resources Ha Ha Tonka room. Tim Haithcoat: I am on a committee with Ryan Cast at the Department of Homeland Security. There will be a call for GIS projects in December.

Local GovernmentSteve Marsh

Gary Mook resigned as co-chair. Individuals interested in co-chair please speak to Jeff Falter.

NominationsTom Stokes

Bylaws changes allowed new member from Missouri State Highway Patrol (Nathan Mattox).

Strategic PlanningPam Kelrick

Meeting today at 1 p.m. All invited. Discussing 04-05 Work Plan. Schedule to have new plan approved by June. Comments, etc. via email. Final draft review after December meeting.

Liaison Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

Began interviews for extension geographer NRCS funding at Mizzou. Hope to have someone starting January 1. Position important to Local Government subcommittee and county implementation. Rural parcel mapping/common land unit line work will be available by request from Salt Lake City Aerial Photography Field Office. Monthly update to national database. Soil data: now have national soil archive (soil mart) MSDIS will link to data rather than hosting data. Soil Mart actually easy to use. Soil data extension still anArcViewextension,ArcGISon the way. Ryan Lanclos: can we do something to facilitate statewide common land unit availability. Liz: yes.

Federal/USGSRay Fox

Tim Haithcoat: National Geospatial Program Office has 90 day feedback on program initiatives. Tim can forward feedback to interested parties.

GIS Merit System PositionsJeff Schloss

Next month is a reporting month.

ITABJeff Falter/Tony Spicci

Gerry Wethington retiring. Ryan Lanclos: Tim Haithcoat recognized for architecture work.

MACOGGary Mook

No Report

MAGICTim Haithcoat

November meeting cancelled. Met at Tan-Tar-A to develop next Symposium program last weekend.

MORAPDiane True

Plan is to have Missouri LULC by end of December. Currently being reviewed. Working with Conservation and EPA to develop vegetation modeling. Look atDEMs, solar flux, geology to calculate potential natural vegetation.

MMAKim Swisher

No Report

MSPS

No Report

NSGICTony Spicci

Tim Haithcoat: opportunity to get $5,000 grant to hold remote sensing workshop through NASA liaison. Proposal needs to be in by December 17. Tony Spicci: USGS reorganization geospatial efforts: National Geographic Program Office. 90 day comment period ends December 15. Will forward information as available. NSGIC mid-year in Washington, DC in March. NSGIC Annual in Rochester, New York. Tony: Sufficient interest in grant? Discussion about holding workshop at MOGIS. Discussion. Ryan Lanclos: Motion to hold remote sensing workshop on Monday free of charge to attendees in conjunction with MOGIS. Second Diane True. Motion passed by vote.

OITTom Stokes

Gerry Wethington retiring, no news on who replacement will be. Target end of November for replacement.

Missouri GIS Conference

  • Conference Chair/Arrangements: Ryan Lanclos & Tony Spicci
    Tony: only big change is adding the remote sensing workshop. Everything is ready at the hotel. Registration page will be up very soon.
  • Program: Steve Marsh & Jeff Schloss & Ray Fox
    Steve: Outline sent to Tony and Ryan. Have 13 abstracts for presentations, need 55-60. Have listing of all previous session titles. Please look for good presenters within your own groups. Spoke with Attorney General’s Office for keynote. Hopeful to get Attorney General for 30 minutes; have 75. Other keynote ideas to Steve. Tim Haithcoat: are you planning to have MGISAC/MSDIS address the entire group? Excel spreadsheet out tomorrow.
  • Workshop: Mark Duewell & David Drum & Jeff Haney
    David: overview of workshops. Steve Marsh: workshops can also be distilled into presentations. Please ask workshop presenters to also submit a presentation.
  • Exhibits: JimLaScala& David Drum
    Tony Spicci: exhibitor packet has gone out via email, snail mail pending. Motion from Steve Marsh to grant MGISAC and MSDIS a free booth each. Second Tony Spicci. Approved by vote.
  • Posters: Liz Cook & Helen Stewart
    Liz: will there be Internet access? David Drum: yes, if LAN/Wireless LAN equipment provided by vendor. Discussion about maximum poster size.
  • Awards: Mark Duewell & Jeff Falter
    Note from Mark conveyed by Tim Haithcoat: Lewis and Clark nomination open. Email notice to membership through format template.
  • Publicity: Tim Haithcoat & MSDIS
    Tim Haithcoat: everyone has postcards, pass them out! Distributed at GIS Day at the Zoo. No time to place in magazines.
  • Social: Bobbie Sue Koelling & Ryan Lanclos
    No Report

Question from Arnold Williams about the computers. Question from Debbie Briedwell about overnight travel for state employees. Discussion.

MSDIS Activities

Tim Haithcoat: Mark Duewell has been working with MACOG. All equipment in for mobile training lab. Mark close to ESRI Authorized to perform instruction. New data on site. Server and SDE migration in next month/six weeks. Imagery data coming in and being populated. Tony Spicci: question about lab availability. Tim: just request it. Jeff Schloss: question about class material, are you bound to ESRI? Tim: no, will focus as needed/requested. Other question. Tim will prepare briefing for a future meeting. Jeff Schloss: NHD data received yet? Tim: don’t know. Problem with disk array delaying work. Jeff: will ask CARES to forward new 10mDEMsto MSDIS. Question from Jeff about NASA grant. Tim: no.

MMGUG

January 19 meeting will cover Internet Mapping.

Round Table

Arnold Williams:MoDOTstill working on getting accurate linework. Getting data toRTCs. ConvertingNAIP03to natural color.
Tony: we’re doing that too, talk to us.
Greg Resz: Does MGISAC have connection to the Legislature? Having problems getting data from Callaway Co due to HB 388. Discussion.
Jeff Schloss: Found out that maintenance costs forArcViewSingle Use Secondary have gone up from $200 to $300 andArcIMSPrimary from $1500 to $2000. May violate increase cap of 7.5%. Many more questions than answers.
Sonny Sanders: Would like to encourage all state agencies, etc. that might outsource work–the outsourcer must have a commercial ASP license. Marge Daugherty has sample text available for grant applications. Is there any interest in anyone from this group assisting in grant writing for local government, small cities, etc.?
Tony Spicci:NAIP04is no longer accepting partners. We must buyNAIP04($25,000). Doing 100% compliance checking (one year delay potentially). Discussion.
Tony Spicci: embarking on map-on-demand service. Who else has done this?
Arnold Williams: John Blogsdale atMoDOT. Discussion.

Announcement of Next Meeting

December 9, 2004 at SEMA, 2302 Militia Drive, Jefferson City

Adjournment

Adjourned at 11:18 a.m.

 

 

Comments are closed.