Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – September 14, 2006

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building-9:00 am

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:07am

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Ryan Lanclospresent
Tim Haithcoatpresent

State Members

Debbie Briedwellpresent
Jeff FalterChairpresent
Bobbie Sue Koellingpresent
Melissa Lanclospresent
Eric Manessabsent
Jeff Schlossexcused
Tony Spiccipresent
Beth Struempfpresent
Mike Sutherlandabsent
Becky Veitpresent
Arnold Williamspresent

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth Cookpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Mike Duncanabsent
Ray Foxpresent
Michael Gawedzinskiexcused
Dawn Hilderbrandexcused
Pam Kelrickpresent
Curtis Koonsabsent
Kevin Kuhlmannexcused
JimLaScalapresent
Steve Marshpresent
Gary Mookexcused
Greg Reszpresent
Ed Siegmundpresent
Kim Swisherabsent
Diane Truepresent

Other Attendees

Lin BatesSanborn
Tim Donze, Surdex
Mark Duewell, MSDIS
John Howe, City of Jefferson
Renee Robinson, DNRproxy for Jeff Schloss
Helen Stewart, SEMA

Approval of the Minutes

August minutes are available on the web site. Motion to approve by Jim L, multiple seconds, approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

Announcements/Executive Activity

No report

By-laws

Unclear who has the authority to spend MGISAC funds held by MSDIS. Proposing to add that to vice-chair responsibilities. Discussion. Need draft by-laws changes for vote at a future meeting.

Nominations

No report

State GIO ReportRyan Lanclos

Mapping out where ITSD employees are located in the state. Fifty-five different skill sets, 1200 employees geocoded. Homeland Security exercise yesterday. Jason Ebersole, MODOT and Helen Stewart, SEMA participated. Offer fromTeleAtlasfor trial license. DOQ RFP in process, goal to have out in October. Steve M: had any inquiries from entities that might want to buy up? Ryan L: yes; approximate answers given. Want to do this on a five if not three year cycle. Liz C: Corps of Engineers flew 1-foot Missouri River imagery, not orthorectified. Glasgow to St. Louis this year. Possibility of NAIP cost-share for leaf-off imagery. Tony S: heard anything about funding for Imagery for the Nation? Liz C: no, but could be the result of the new interest in leaf-off imagery. NAIP’06 all completely in. Bring an external hard drive by if you need the data.

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Ortho just discussed. National Hydrography Dataset training scheduled in Rolla at the end of the month.

Funding & GrantsPam Kelrick/Ryan Lanclos

Pam K: waiting on Fifty States Initiative CAP grants, delayed until Oct. Looking at a list of projects that need funding rather than looking for funding first.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementTim Haithcoat

Met Sept. 5, minutes forthcoming. Looking at training; developing templates for data acquisition; working with 4-H and Red Cross on gathering shelter information; reviewed HSAC decisions about funding priorities; next meeting October 10 at National Guard facilities which have excellent teleconference capabilities. Second Tuesday of every month from 10-12 at the Army National Guard. Ray F: USGS template on the Homeland Security subcommittee web page. Related Phelps County planning meeting. Pam K: local 4-H group interested in shelter project. Steve M: everyone is doing their own thing and nothing is coordinated; money is not trickling down to the lowest levels where data collection needs to occur. Tim H: the only thing that has worked at all is grass-roots effort. Discussion. Consensus to hold a well-facilitated special meeting on this topic at a facility that supports teleconferences.

Local Government GroupSteve Marsh/Greg Resz

Stalled again on regional meetings over location. We need to pick the site and the content. Conference planning will replace today’s LG meeting. Committee should select large topics and delegate work down to subcommittees to get traction on issues.

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell/David Drum/Jim LaScala

Geospatial Web Services Roundtable held August 30, came out $247 ahead; MOGIS’07 conference planning; survey results developing. Pam K: thanks to Mark D for putting the roundtable together.

Strategic PlanningPam Kelrick

Would like to see that approach with respect to the strategic plan. Annual report approval. Strategic plan update coming soon. Will meet after 11/9, 2/8 meetings. Motion to approve Annual Report by Tony S, seconded by Steve M, approved by vote.

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

Cadastre standard, met yesterday, up to 16 different parcel identification numbers, next mtg 9/25 DNR Elm St Rt 66 room 9-12, 10/5, 10/26. Will meet with assessors at the beginning of Oct. Children’s data warehouse FIT matrix comparing Oracle,DB2, MS SQL. Probably available after 10/20. Pam K: is consistent funding for assessors being discussed? Tim H: yes. Discussion.

Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

Will arrange an all-day forum about data access and policy issues. Discussion.

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

Geospatial roundtable; grant process for two USGS proposals; CAP training in Trenton;ArcGISclass in Kirksville; increased remote class capacity, loanable GPS equipment expected Nov.

Missouri GIS Conference

Tentative schedule handout; vendor packet handout; conference registration brochure handout. Met Sept 1 to finalize budget; seeking motion to approve budget including conference registration fees. Review of conference budget handout. Discussion. Motion from David D, second Jim L to approve conference budget. Motion passed by vote.

Programs

Steve M: More complicated schedule, should be out soon. Gathering presenters.

Workshops

Mark D: seven half-day: 6 confirmed, 1 outstanding, four full-day: 2 confirmed, 1 maybe, 1 outstanding. No success with Dell on workshop computers. Will attempt to use MSDIS laptops, need 14 more capable of runningArcGIS9.1.

Vendors

Jim L: vendor packets out; send potential vendors to Jim L.

Posters

Arnold W: call for posters went out on save the date card.

Awards

Mark D: looking for more members for awards subcommittee, remind MD if you already volunteered.

Publicity

Bobbie Sue K: No Report

Social

Melissa L: wine tasting, Mardi Gras, raffle, games at vendor booths, drink tickets.

2009 Conference

Jim L: should have the next conference’s date before MAGIC in order to promote at MAGIC. Discussion. Motion from Jim L to pursue and make arrangements for 2009 Missouri GIS conference location and date. Second from Steve M. Friendly amendment from Mark D to task Custom Meeting Planners to begin this work the day after the conference ends. Friendly amendment from Tony S to have CMP begin to do the work now to be able to make a decision after the conference ends. Mark D friendly amendment withdrawn. Friendly amendment from Tony S accepted, restated as we will ask CMP for a contract for conference services. Approved by vote.

MAGIC Symposium Committee

No Report

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

Contracting LIDAR for selected counties.

Federal/USGSRay Fox

Training Highway Patrol as part of Homeland Security activities.

MACOG

No Report

MORAPDiane True

No Report

MMAJennifer Peterson

No Report

MSPSDon Martin

No Report

NSGICTony Spicci

Lots going on with Geospatial Lines of Business, but closed process. Tony driving to NSGIC meeting.

Alternate Meeting Locations

Tim H: waiting on grant funding for teleconference equipment.

Round Table Discussionall

Mark D: Sat in on clearinghouse discussion in Arkansas, lots of good ideas.
Tim H: What is the status of the GIO strategic plan? Ryan L: it is on my computer.
Jim L: CAD/GIS user group met yesterday. Next mtg 10/11 in Lee’s Summit. Want to get them data standards for database development.
Arnold W: New state road map went to printer last week.
Renee R: Question about state license.
Greg R: Pricing for Arc GIS Server out.
Teresa V: Looking for help with their GIS application.

Announcement of next meeting

October 12, 2006 @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Adjourned at 11:57 am

 

 

Comments are closed.