Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – March 12, 2009

Governor’s Office Building, Room 4709:00 a.m.

Call to Order

Called to order at 9:10 a.m.

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Mark Duewellpresent
Tim Haithcoatpresent

State Members

Debbie Briedwellpresent
Colin Duewellpresent
David Finchabsent
Matt Hesserpresent
Donna Rehagenabsent
Renee Robinsonpresent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tracy Schlosspresent
Tony Spiccipresent
Beth Struempfabsent
Mike Sutherlandabsent
Arnold Williamsabsent

Cooperating Members

Aaron Addisonpresent
Mark Allenabsent
Elizabeth CookTreasurerpresent (proxy for Ray F)
David DrumSecretarypresent
Mike Duncanabsent
Ray FoxVice-chairexcused
Pam Kelrickexcused
Curtis Koonsabsent
Kevin Kuhlmannabsent
Jim LaScalaabsent
Steve MarshChairpresent
Greg Reszabsent
Ed Siegmundabsent
Diane Truepresent

Other Attendees

Leslie Chamberlin, Camden County
Joe Clayton, MSPS
Tim Donze, Surdex
Joe Eckmann, ESRI
Eric Foster, MoDOT
Kenny Legleiter, Merrick
Don Martin, MSPS
Cristian Oros, MSHP
Chuck Rackers, ITSD-DESE
Chris Renna, MSHP
Shannon White, University of Missouri
Ming-Chih Hung, NWMU

Approval of the Minutes

March meeting minutes are available on-line. Motion to approve from Tony S, seconded by Tracy S, approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

State GIO ReportTim Haithcoat

Have been busy tracking Senate bill 384/House bill 881. Working on various stimulus package funding possibilities, including:

  • Supplemental Flight Funding
  • Enterprise GIS
  • Broadband Mapping
  • Addressing for new construction right before the 2010 census. Based on projections from Matt Hesser’s office, Missouri is within +/- 1% of a congressional seat.
  • Aerial image base control

By-laws

No items submitted

Nominations

Question from Liz C about how to nominate someone. Nominations should go to the Chair. Discussion. Suggestion of a membership committee. Suggestion of multiple levels of membership. Tony S and Mark D will review bylaws.

Project Updates

Senate Bill 384/House Bill 881 Support Letter

Background from Steve M. Request for approval of letter of support. Discussion. Motion from Tracy S to support SB384/HB881 as revised. Seconded by Jeff S. Discussion. Call to question. Motion passed unanimously. Discussion of content of letter of support and to whom to send copies of the letter. Reading of final letter of support. Motion from Tracy S to send the revised letter of support. Seconded by Jeff S. Motion passed unanimously.

Discussion Topic/Presentation

Development of 2009 Work Plan, Subcommittee plans discussion

Steve M: what are the four or five key goals for each subcommittee? Tim H: we could spend all our time on a lot of little issues. Steve: it is difficult to aggregate up. Discussion. How do we bring more visibility to the MGISAC? Discussion about standards. Tim: there is a call for big-picture items.

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox

Liz C: Recent LiDAR coordination meeting to draft a state LiDAR plan and understand if there is any overlap in areas of interest. Good turnout. Batted around a draft FGDC standard on data acquisition. Planning a status map of available data. Nearly done flying western half of statewide imagery.

FinanceLiz Cook

Had a $1,000 expenditure to contribute to the Rural GIS Summitt. Balance is $11,956.71. Expecting to hear about final conference expenses soon. Pending expense not to exceed $100 for the upcoming Emergency Management workshop.

Funding & GrantsPam Kelrick, Tony Spicci, Mark Duewell

Mark D: wrote a proposal to MAGIC for upcoming Emergency Response workshop which was funded.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementDebbie Briedwell

Meeting next week. Contact Debbie Briedwell if you want to be on the contact list for meetings. Had annual SEMA conference, presented GIS. Well-received. Had lots of offers of data.

Local Government GroupMark Allen

No report

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell

Emergency Response using GIS on May 5 at Washington University in St. Louis. Particularly interested in first responders interested in what GIS can do for them. Working with Pam on the Rural GIS Summit. Had first conference call for conference review committee with seven participants.

Strategic PlanningEric Foster

Need to vote on the October 2008 report draft. Report is basically a summary of the minutes. Motion from Jeff S to approve report, including Jeff’s comments. Seconded by Liz C. Approved by vote.

Liaison Reports

Missouri GIS ConferenceTony Spicci

Tony: we had a very successful conference in spite of the economy. Jamie: 175 full conference registrations, 11 student registrations, 17 complimentary registrations, 30 workshop-only registrations. About 50 people were presenters. 233 people overall. Estimates: $52,475 registration income, $15,150 in exhibit income. $195 outstanding. Estimating just over $12,000 net proceeds from conference. Originally thought conference numbers were going to be lower, kept expenses to a minimum. Had feedback that breaks need to be restored and food needs to be increased/improved. Tony: conference evaluation: good+excellent responses were high. People liked the format and content. 95% said they would attend again in 2011. 55% February, less in March, less again in April. People like the concept of a central conference, but not overwhelming. About half of attendees responded to the survey. Discussion. Tony: we should strongly consider holding the conference again and making improvements where possible. Committee should be in a position to commit to the 2011 conference by May or June at the latest.

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

No report

Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

FLAIR legislation has come back up again.

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

Quarterly report is available and up on the web (now or soon).

MAGIC ConsortiumTony Spicci

No report

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

Stimulus funding will pay for some floodplain easements. Nationally, about $1 billion has been proposed. Missouri should get $10-12 million.

Federal/USGSRay Fox

No report

Missouri Association of Councils of Government

No report

Missouri Resource Assessment PartnershipDiane True

Currently working on a vegetation map for EastWest gateway.

Missouri Mappers AssociationJim LaScala

Mark D: MMA is requesting a common work group to combine the two conferences in 2011.

Missouri Society of Professional SurveyorsJohn Teale

No report

National States Geographic Information CouncilTony Spicci

Tim H: good to have NSGIC as a resource on SB384. Kansas has shared a LiDAR plan.

Round Table Discussionall

Mark D: will not be at the next meeting.

Announcement of next meeting

May 14, 2009 @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Adjourned at 11:44 a.m.

Comments are closed.