Minutes for June 14, 2012

Date: June 14, 2012
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:00 a.m.
Agenda
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:02 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewell—present
USGS Ray Fox—present
OA ITSD GIS Paul Wright—present
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell—excused
MoDOT Joe Carter—present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—present
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—excused
JFMO-EM Renee Robinson—excused
OA-ITSD Natural Resources Jeff Schloss—present
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schloss—present
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci—present
OA-ITSD Revenue Beth Struempf—excused
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—excused
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—present
Great River Associates Josie Bock—present via teleconference
Camden County Leslie Chamberlin—present
Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Clayton—present
USDA-NRCS Elizabeth Cook—present
Surdex Tim Donze—excused
MOREnet David Drum—present
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—present
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—excused
Cole County Melissa Johnson—present
Sanborn Kevin Kuhlmann—present
MARC Steve Marsh—present
Jackson County Amber Reynolds—present
City of Jefferson Greg Resz—absent
MoRAP Diane True—present
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—excused
Boone County Jason Warzinik—present
MU Extension/Department of Geography Shannon White—present
Other Attendees
Sanborn Sanchit Agarwal
MOREnet Joshua Carey
Esri Joe Eckmann
MU Tim Haithcoat
OGI Arnold Williams
SEMA Scott Zeller (proxy for Debbie Briedwell?)

3. Approval of Minutes
May minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Kuhlmann, multiple seconds, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright

  • We received input from the the Local Govt and Data Committees input for the aerial imagery/LiDAR RFP and have made those adjustments. We will be submitting this to the ITSD Finance and OA Purchasing for their review. It was determined that this will be put out as an RFQ in order to provide a list of approved vendors.
  • We are looking at the DHSS geocoding app as a possible enterprise wide solution. It was recently updated and accepts comma delimited and single entry records for geocoding. It also provides an API to tie into apps.
  • The memorandum of understanding (MOU) with MSDIS is completed and forwarded to MSDIS. They have reviewed and we will be discussing any changes on 6/21.
  • OGI has been involved with some GIS projects for Corrections and Agriculture. The Moberly Correctional facility will be the first facility to utilize GIS to help with maintenance and safety. They are getting data from Randolph County and having their facility blue prints entered into GIS. If this pilot is successful it might be picked-up by the other correctional facilities.
  • We are working with the state department of Agriculture to do a pilot at the State Fair. We will meet in Sedalia on 6/25 to determine the scope of the project.
  • Google has provided some demos of their products and services to a few of the state departments. There is interest by a few organizations and more demos/discussions are upcoming.

4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell

  1. MSDIS site failovers. After some additional server architecture changes failover tests will be planned for this month or early next month. Plenty of notification will be given via the list-servers, Twitter, RSS feeds and on the web site.
  2. OGI/MOU status. The MOU is in the works. There will be a meeting next week for discussion purposes. Development server OGI logins are ready to be tested – again.
  3. Geoportal data added.
  4. Springfield data is up. Additional “Structures” data sets for Bootheel RPC are up. SEMO counties soon to follow. We’ve been told to expect the Congressional boundaries (with metadata) in the near future.
  5. MSDIS will be presenting geoportal functionality at the next SEMO Symposium on June 20th. So far 36 are registered.
  6. MSDIS continues to meet with MU DOIT staff planning hardware and software additions to be ordered in September. Notably they’ll include 2 new servers or virtualizations to replace current MSDISWeb servers. Also significant improvements in storage space are envisioned.
  7. ArcGIS Server training – June 25th – 27th. For Mark, Wenbo, Martin (OGI others?). Geography’s SPAM Lab.

4.3 Treasurer's report — Leslie Chamberlin
Leslie stated we had one expenditure for $500 leaving us with a balance of $22,595.05 The $500 amount was to pay the person doing surveys for the Local Government Committee and is incorrect as we are sharing the cost. It will, therefore, be reduced to $250 on next month’s financials. There was one other entry moving a previous expense from one account to the other.

Leslie let the Council know that she would be sending out an email asking for budget numbers to come together for our 2013 budget. Council members should contact the Council Committee Chairs if they are aware of any expenses the committee may want to incur in our next fiscal year and Council Committee Chairs will be asked to provide her their expenses they would like budgeted for 2013.
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
No members in violation of by-laws. No new members pending. Membership renewal letters to go to OGI/CIO today or tomorrow.
4.5 By-laws — Liz Cook
No changes up for a vote this month. White sent the following email by way of a report:

Please find the most up to date By-Laws of MGISAC at http://www.mgisac.org/by-laws/. There are links to a Word Doc of the current by-laws and older by-laws changes at the bottom of the page. There have been 2 By-Laws changes in the past 8 months. First was a change of terminology related to OGI/GIO and the designation of the USGS liaison as an ex-officio member as required by a change in USGS policy. Second was the membership section 6.1 which was voted on in March 2012.

Discussions began at this time also about the Structure of the Council but were not voted on as they have been under discussion with the Strategic Planning Committee. There will be a Doodle poll for a Strategic Planning meeting in the next month to discuss the following:

a) By-laws – structure changes (committee review before presenting to full council)
b) Relationship/Role of MGISAC to other organizations (OGI, MSDIS, etc)

5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 GIS Survey to Local Governments Update — Local Government committee
Interim report distributed as a PDF on the web site and as a handout. Review of handout. Discussion regarding “typical” costs for data. Discussion regarding quality of responses, how to garner more and better responses. Survey will continue to be worked on until it is comprehensive. Discussion about how to communicate results of the survey.
5.2 2013 Missouri GIS Conference — Andy Wagner, Aaron Addison
Colin Duewell: report on site visit plans. Discussion about merits of candidate and alternate sites.
5.3 Elections — Liz Cook
Need to form an election committee.
5.4 Discussion topic/presentation for September — Liz Cook
Ideas suggested: K-12 education license, redistricting, in-depth technical vendor presentation, cadastral standard, LiDAR status.
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Ray Fox
Mo-Grand Lidar project: Two deliveries have been made, two remain with the final delivery scheduled for the end of September.
East/West Gateway Imagery: USGS and E/W Gateway have reviewed and approved the two pilot areas submitted. Four deliveries are planned, the first is Franklin and portions of St Charles and Jefferson by July 18. Final delivery of the Missouri counties by September, Illinois portion in October.
Kansas City – MARC: Pilot area accepted by USGS and NGA. Delivery by August.
6.2 Homeland Security — Debbie Briedwell
No report
6.3 Local Government — Matt Gerike, Melissa Johnson, Leslie Chamberlin, Jason Warzinik
Already covered in survey.
6.4 Outreach and Education — Mark Duewell, Shannon White
Statewide K-12 Esri license has gone to MU Office of Sponsored Programs for completion. It will be important to track outreach in order to show match. SEMO symposium June 20th; on track to get to full capacity. LiDAR workshop at Washington University in St. Louis still being planned for August.
6.5 Policy and Legislation — Joe Clayton
Two bills pending signature.
6.6 Strategic Planning — Shannon White
Will meet soon.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh
Election results: Amber Reynolds, chair; Tony Spicci, symposium chair; Steve Marsh, treasurer; Susan Norton, secretary.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Paul Wright

  • It is critical to the long-term health of NSGIC that we get as many states as possible to attend the Annual Conference. We know travel approvals are difficult and budgets are lean. The 2012 NSGIC Annual Conference is September 9-13, 2012, Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
  • Travel grants information is available at http://www.nsgic.org/conference-grants.
  • Attached are the notes from the last President’s Call to help keep you informed about the issues being discussed by the Board and other NSGIC leadership. You will note the discussions about responding to NTIA’s Request for Information (RFI) on FirstNet. NSGIC is trying to wrap up their draft comments.

8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
NAIP already mentioned. Other imagery being reprocessed at higher resolution.
8.2 USGS — Ray Fox
No report
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
No report
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
MMA conference July 24-27, $90 registration.
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
July 14, Tan-Tar-A, minimum standards workshop.
9. Round table Discussion
Shannon White: Geo kids camp next month the week before Esri UC. September 29 event.
Mark Duewell: thoughts about tablets and the cloud from the Digital Government Summit.
Kevin Kuhlmann: Sanborn is now an oblique provider.
Leslie Chamberlin: looking forward to upcoming user group GIS training. Coca-Cola Mack’s Creek park contest.
Joe Carter: really like the most recent LaGIStic user group meeting.
Amber Reynolds: Jackson Co getting ready to release their first mobile app.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 9:00 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:54 a.m.

4 comments to Minutes for June 14, 2012