Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – February 14, 2002

Members Present

Barnett, Chris MU – CARES
Beahan, Gary – Dept. of Economic Development
Carey, Michelle – City of Kansas City
Cole, Julia – East West Gateway Coordinating Council
Daw, Steve – Shafer, Kline, & Warren
Dorge, Greg – City of Jefferson
Duewell, Mark – Dept. of Health & Senior Services
Haithcoat, Tim MU – MSDIS
Holder, Renee – Dept. of Revenue
Pitts, Debbie MO State Library – Census Data Center
Schloss, Jeff – Dept. of Natural Resources
Shaw, Jo Ann – Dept. of Natural Resources
Spicci, Tony – Dept. of Conservation
Williams, Arnold – Dept. of Transportation
Williams, Darryl -USGS – MCMC

Others Present

DeOrnellis, Cindy Dept. of Agriculture
Duncan, Janet Dept. of Insurance
Walker, Kristi City of St. Louis
Wiggins, Tracey (proxy) USDA – NRCS

Members Not Present

Cook, Liz (sent proxy) USDA – NRCS
Davis, Jim Dept. of Mental Health
Duncan, Mike St. Louis Dept. of Planning
Falter, Jeff (excused) SEMA
LaScala, Jim (excused) City of Liberty
Peterson, Jennifer (excused) City Utilities of Springfield

Call to Order

Tony Spicci called the meeting to order at 9:10 a.m.

Reading of Minutes / Approval of Minutes

Revised minutes were emailed out on 2/13/02. These minutes were approved.

Subcommittee Reports

GIS Position Development

Jeff Schloss reported that Tony made an excellent presentation to ITAB. ITAB approved the positions and forwarded them to OA. There may be some minor changes to the positions before OA sends them to the Personnel Advisory Board. Tim suggested that when these positions go into the merit system that we check some scores. Since there is no test, the scores will be based on education and experience.

ITAB Liaison

No report.

Strategic Plan

Tony spoke with Dan Zekor, MDC, about assisting with the strategic plan. Mark will set a meeting soon.

Education and Outreach

Tim will send out the design for the logo on Wednesday. Debbie asked if anyone knows of upcoming conferences that we should have a presence at. Tim mentioned Missouri Mappers scheduled for the summer. Debbie asked for other mailing lists to send out brochures. She will include a letter from Tony.

Federal Initiatives

According to Darryl, NEMA and USGS will acquireDOQswhere needed for the 45 cities which have been identified as top priority for homeland security. St. Louis is in the process of doing the RFP now. TheseDOQswill then be available for the public. Kansas City is in the top 126 cities. Tim asked if this is a one-time thing or if it would be repeated. Darryl stated that the funding is not in place yet for an ongoing project.

Greg Dorge said that the City of Jefferson will be acquiring aerial photography at the end of February or the first of March. Greg will try to get this data out on MSDIS for others to use. Tim stated that there will be $35 billion dollars for homeland security. Tony said that 10% will go to the federal government, and the remaining 90% will come to the states and local governments in a 25-75 split with a portion going to first responders.

SMAC

Darryl asked that we change the MGISAC meeting in May to the sixteenth and have it in Rolla with the SMAC meeting. Motion passed to do this. Liz and Darryl will be sending out the agenda.

Training

Renee sent out the Vermont training CD, but she did not receive any feedback. Michelle handed a CD of the training web pages to Tim for posting on the web. She asked that if anyone receives comments on the web pages to forward those to her and Renee.

Debbie suggested that we put some fun GIS links in for teacher and students.

Data Standards

Arnold stated that the group is currently focusing on the address standard. The next address standard meeting will be on February 26 at 9:00 a.m. in the OIS Conference Room at the Dept. of Mental Health at 1706 East Elm Street. The group will be discussing the writing assignments which were handed out at the last meeting. Tim will be demonstrating a pilot project of addressing for Boone County.

Internet

Documents were sent out via email, and Chris is waiting for feedback. Comments are due by February 22, 2002.

Bylaws

The bylaws are currently being reviewed by the CIO.

State Architecture

Tony and Tim met with Gerry Wethington. Four domains of the state architecture plan are now ready. Work will begin when the new consulting contract is completed. The consultants will conduct the meetings. The four domains are: knowledge management, security, privacy, and GIS. GIS has its own domain as well as participation in other areas. $1.9 million has been allocated to the state architecture plan, and $220,000 has been spent to date.

MSDIS

Tim stated that they are in the process of changing the look of MSDIS. Data will be grouped based on themes. The following are examples: Natural Resources – Land Cover, Natural Resources – Water, Transportation, Utilities – Telecommunications, etc. They will be serving a lot more data soon. Tim handed out the MSDIS budget to the group. He asked them to let him know if anyone found problems with metadata on the website or any file that cannot be downloaded.

MoGIS 2003 Conference Committees

No reports.

I-Team

Tony is working on the draft I-Team plan for the state.

MAGIC

Tony encouraged everyone to sign up for the MAGIC conference as soon as possible.

FGDC Grant Writing Status

Renee and Tim are working together on writing the grant.

Round Table Discussion

The need for data sharing, standards, and addresses were repeated by several members and guests. Homeland security coordination was discussed.

Upcoming Meetings

The next MGISAC meeting will beMarch 14th at the Runge Nature Center. NSGIC’s mid-year meeting will be held in Dallas March 22-24th. The State Mapping Workshop for the Central Region will be held in Denver for 2 days the week of May 6th.

Adjournment

Motion carried to adjourn.

 

 

Comments are closed.