Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – May 12, 2005

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:09 a.m.

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Tim Haithcoatpresent
Tom Stokesabsent

State Members

Debbie Briedwell (Dep’t of Health and Senior Services)present
Chair Jeff Falter (State Emergency Management Agency)excused
Bobbie Sue Koelling (Dep’t of Elementary and Secondary Education)absent
Ryan Lanclos (Dep’t of Agriculture)present
Eric Maness (Missouri National Guard)absent
WallaceMcMullen(Dep’t of Mental Health)present
Jeff Schloss (Dep’t of Natural Resources)present
Tony Spicci (Dep’t of Conservation)present
Mike Sutherland (Rep. 99th District)absent
Arnold Williams (Dep’t of Transportation)present

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth Cook (USDA-NRCS)present
Secretary David Drum (MOREnet)present
Mike Duncan (St. Louis County Dep’t of Planning)absent
Ray Fox (USGS/MCMC)present
Michael Gawedzinski (Whiteman AFB)present
Dawn Hilderbrand (City of Kansas City)excused
Pam Kelrick (City of Kirksville, Adair Co.)excused
Curtis Koons (Cass County)absent
Kevin Kuhlmann (Village of Innsbrook)present
JamesLaScala(City of Liberty)present
Steve Marsh (Jackson County)present
Gary Mook (EastWestGateway)present
Greg Resz (City of Jefferson)present
Kim Swisher (Missouri Mappers Association)absent
Diane True (MoRAP)present

Other Attendees

Mark Duewell (MSDIS)
Jason Ebersole (Dep’t of Transportation)
Nathan Mattox (MU Dept’ of Geography / Geospatial Extension)
Sonny Sanders (ESRI)
Helen Stewart (State Emergency Management Agency) (proxy for Jeff Falter)

GIT Architecture Presentation

Tabled until Tim Haithcoat arrives.

Approval of the Minutes

April minutes on the web site. Minutes discussed, tabled until Tim H arrives and can answer a question. [Later] Corrections discussed. Motion from Jeff Schloss to approve minutes with corrections, multiple seconds, approved by vote.

Subcommittee Reports

By-lawsJeff Falter

Edits to change OIT to ITSD. Motion to approve from Tony Spicci, multiple seconds, approved by vote.

CommunicationsDavid Drum

No Report

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Ray: met last month in Columbia. Steve Gay, Nathan, Greg Resz, Stan, Liz, Arnold. Next meeting around June 7 by conference call. Survey going out to local governments via regional planning councils. 2-foot or 6-inch photography being discussed. Split state in half forFY07andFY08flights. Looking for additional contributors, especially Federal Homeland Security.

Education and OutreachRyan Lanclos

Missouri Digital Government Summit 6/16. 3:15 GIS talk. Question from Liz Cook about free registration. Steve Marsh: all government employees are free. June 6-10 hosting Business Technology Information Institute high school juniors and seniors, sponsored by Linn Tech. Being asked to present on June 7 at 2:15 at Runge. Nathan Mattox or Debbie Briedwell possibly available.

GIS Data PolicyTim Haithcoat

Tim is on a NSGIC panel. Don’t know where the two bills are.

GIS Training & CertificationTom Stokes

No Report

GIT ArchitectureTim Haithcoat

National Geospatial Enterprise Architecture effort meeting end of [fn?] to create framework acceptable to states and feds. Use cases being pursued. Setting up aWiki. Working to set single geolocation data element at Federal level. [EA?] debriefing “webinar” coming soon. ManagerCIOsgeospatial briefing.

Homeland SecurityDebbie Briedwell

Working on an inventory of priority layers, out for review, seeing what we have, probably wrapped up by June meeting. Responses due by next Friday.

Local GovernmentSteve Marsh

Have meeting at 1 today. Looking to put more material up on web site. Want to set 2-3 goals.

NominationsTom Stokes

No Report

Strategic PlanningPam Kelrick

Tony Spicci: tried to set up meeting for this week, lack of response. CAP grant $45,000 for Strategic Planning did not come out; new $25,000 grant pending. Will send out email again to try to set meeting date and time.

GIO Position PlanningRyan Lanclos

Met twice since April, v2 draft out to subcommittee, will send to committee soon. Tight timeline so changes can be made on July 1. Comment from WallaceMcMullenabout June 15 payroll deadline.

Liaison Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

Tony S: OMB looking at funding for NAIP, up in the air, may come through this year, next year a huge question. Flight window 6/15-8/15. APFO supposed to sendNAIP04data this week.

Federal/USGSRay Fox

Product (topo) generation from National Map demo, National Map can create a topo if data is available. Contours an issue if not preprocessed.

ITABJeff Falter/Tony Spicci

No Report

MACOGDoug Hermes

No Report

MAGICTim Haithcoat

Ray F: discussed having LIDAR workshop in Sioux Falls in August. Two-day workshop. Will coordinate to take MAGIC bus.

MORAPDiane True

No Report

MMAKim Swisher

No Report

NSGICTony Spicci

Web site being redesigned.

ITSDTom Stokes

No Report

Missouri GIS Conference

Conference Chair/Arrangements: Ryan Lanclos & Tony Spicci Can get Tan-Tar-A in 2007, can shift conference to Tuesday-Thurday after President’s Day weekend (February 20-22). Courses can shift to Wednesday and Thursday, we have free reign Wednesday, but only two salons Thursday, so only 2-4 workshops Thursday. Discussion. Will move forward. Vendors can get in Monday evening, so Exhibit Hall can run during all of conference. Steve Marsh suggested booking out 4 years to avoid schedule conflicts.

MSDIS Activities

Metadata explorer online. CAP regional training ongoing. Springfield this week, St. Joseph and Perryville over. Going fairly well, requests for more training. Local Government hungry for GIS. Hosting booth at Digital Government Summit. Presenting at MMA conference in August. Seeking more CAP grant money, will send something to the list. May pursue metadata and web feature service grants. National Map forum for USGS been approved again. GTC HAZUS advanced training proposal to Heartland HUG, Tony S teaching in June 14-16. Opportunity for those interested in HAZUS to attend. Discussion.

NSGIC Dues

NSGIC renewal notification letters going out this week. Jeff Schloss commented that topic was supposed to go to Strategic Planning subcommittee per April MGISAC meeting. Tony pointed out that Strategic Planning subcommittee did not meet between April and May MGISAC meetings due to lack of response. Discussion. Jeff Schloss states we’re not ready to spend money on NSGIC dues. JimLaScalapointed out that dues might be sought from ITAB. Discussion. Tony: need to find out how to pay, yes; need to decide if we want to maintain state membership. Steve M: what do we get for the membership? Tony: NSGIC is the voice of the states to the Federal government. NSGIC helped shape NGPO at USGS, working with NGA. Serves as coordination point with NASCIO, NACO, URISA, MAPPS, lots more. Allows us to position ourselves for grants. All this takes money. NSGIC has administrative staff but actual work is all volunteer. Tim H: NSGIC response for Geospatial in Homeland Security legislation. Discussion. Motion from Jeff Schloss to let membership lapse until issue is covered by Strategic Planning. No second. Motion from Tony Spicci to continue state membership forFY06, second by JimLaScala. Friendly amendment from Liz Cook to have this apply one year, to have Strategic Planning discuss for future years. Discussion. Motion approved by vote, two against. Issue will go to Strategic Planning subcommittee. Tony will begin funding justification for ITSD. Discussion. Added Mark D, Steve M, Michael G to Strategic Planning.

ESRI Contract

End of contract is 2/28/2006, not too early to begin discussion, especially with new ESRI model license. Discussion.

Round Table

Ray Fox: need to have some kind of teleconferencing solution for meetings with widespread attendees.
Sonny Sanders: Health and Human Services person (Carl) at ESRI moving to CDC, call Sonny instead.
Steve Marsh: requested copy of survey done with MACOG from Sonny
Greg Resz: question about video/teleconferencing capabilities at MU Extension offices. Discussion.
Liz Cook: will be in Scotland in June.
Arnold Williams: distributed new road maps.
Tim Haithcoat: will miss June meeting also
Michael Gawedzinski: will miss June meeting also

Announcement of Next Meeting

June 9, 2005 at the MDC Employee Credit Union

Adjournment

Adjourned at 11:11 a.m.

 

 

Comments are closed.