Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – April 14, 2005

Presentation by Ray Fox

“Changes at USGS” Overview of NSDI National Geospatial Programs Office. Discussion about proposed need to have GIS Coordinator position in order to receive grant money.

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:40 a.m.

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Tim Haithcoatpresent
Tom Stokespresent

State Members

Gary Beahan (Dep’t of Economic Development)absent
Debbie Briedwell (Dep’t of Health and Senior Services)excused
Chair Jeff Falter (State Emergency Management Agency)present
Bobbie Sue Koelling (Dep’t of Elementary and Secondary Education)present
Ryan Lanclos (Dep’t of Agriculture)present
Eric Maness (Missouri National Guard)present
WallaceMcMullen(Dep’t of Mental Health)present
Jeff Schloss (Dep’t of Natural Resources)present
Tony Spicci (Dep’t of Conservation)present
Mike Sutherland (Rep. 99th District)absent
Arnold Williams (Dep’t of Transportation)present

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth Cook (USDA-NRCS)present
Secretary David Drum (MOREnet)present
Mike Duncan (St. Louis County Dep’t of Planning)absent
Ray Fox (USGS/MCMC)present
Michael Gawedzinski (Whiteman AFB)present
Dawn Hilderbrand (City of Kansas City)excused
Pam Kelrick (City of Kirksville, Adair Co.)excused
Curtis Koons (Cass County)absent
Kevin Kuhlmann (Village of Innsbrook)excused
JamesLaScala(City of Liberty)present
Steve Marsh (Jackson County)present
Gary Mook (EastWestGateway)excused
Greg Resz (City of Jefferson)present
Kim Swisher (Missouri Mappers Association)absent
Diane True (MoRAP)present

Other Attendees

Michelle Carey (City of Kansas City) (proxy for Dawn Hilderbrand)
Colin Duewell (Dep’t of Health and Senior Services) (proxy for Debbie Briedwell)
Mark Duewell (MSDIS)
John Howe (City of Jefferson)
Terry Libbert (Dep’t of Social Services)
Michael Palazzolo (Whiteman AFB)
Sonny Sanders (ESRI)

Approval of the Minutes

March minutes on the web site. Motion to approve by Tony Spicci, seconded by Ryan Lanclos, approved by vote.

Election of Vice-Chair

Quorum established. Motion from Liz Cook to accept nominations from floor and conduct voice vote, seconded by Tony Spicci, approved by vote. Liz Cook nominates Jeff Schloss, multiple seconds. Jeff Schloss declines nomination. Jeff Schloss nominates Ryan Lanclos, seconded by Ray Fox. Nominations closed by motion and vote. Ryan Lanclos elected by affirmation.

Subcommittee Reports

By-lawsJeff Falter

No Report

CommunicationsDavid Drum

Local Government files posted, call for projects for compendium.

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Meeting April 26 in Columbia at 1 p.m. at MSDIS, 102 Stewart Hall, MU. Need to get moving if leaf-off orthophotography flights are to happen this year. Discussion about when flights will occur, splitting across years, other projects that may participate (NAIP, NDOP). St. Louis has flown LIDAR for City and County. Data Development subcommittee should be aware of [projects?], please bring to Ray’s attention.

Education and OutreachRyan Lanclos

Missouri Digital Government Summit planning committee attended and GIS is included. Summit is June 16th. Register early as it is expected to fill up. GIS talk at 3:15 p.m. concurrent session. Someone from MGISAC will be tapped to speak. Tim H: MSDIS obtained booth for Summit.

GIS Data PolicyTim Haithcoat

No Report

GIS Training & CertificationTom Stokes

Continue to collect information on different training programs. Make recommendations in a couple months.

GIT ArchitectureTim Haithcoat

Have centerline document out for review; need more members on subcommittee, considering using whole committee as review.

Homeland SecurityDebbie Briedwell

No Report

Local GovernmentSteve Marsh

JimLaScala: meeting at 1 p.m.

NominationsTom Stokes

Ryan Lanclos new Vice-Chair. No nominations up for renewal; always interested in new nominations. Need to replace DED and Revenue members.

Strategic PlanningPam Kelrick

Tony S: sending email to group to set next meeting. Quick show of hands of interest: Ryan L, Tim H, Jeff S, Ray F, Debbie B.

Liaison Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

No Report

Federal/USGSRay Fox

Missouri congressional delegation meeting with Chip Groat to advocate for Rolla facility.

ITABJeff Falter/Tony Spicci

GIS position consolidation: will there be an agency GIO? No–agency coordinator will report to agency CIO.

MACOGDoug Hermes

No Report

MAGICTim Haithcoat

April 28 in Discovery Center in Kansas City, van leaving from Columbia. Planning for next symposium. Workshop topics needed. MAGIC Remote Sensing workshop April 21 in Lawrence KS; Iowa, April 22; Missouri, April 28. Tony S: MAGIC has money for workshops.

MORAPDiane True

No Report

MMAKim Swisher

No Report

NSGICTony Spicci

Bill in Congress, FLAIR Act (H.R. 1370), identify Federal land (to sell) by Rep. Cannon of Utah. Developed by MAPPS. Goal to develop cadastre of federal land. NSGIC substituted some language, tie-in to NSDI, Federal standards, neutralize MAPPS-only membership language. No companion language in House [should be Senate?]. Western states supportive (Nevada is 70% federal land). Discussion. Geospatial One Stop v. 2 portal awarded to ESRI, basically will be able to “google” GIS data. Discussion. Mention ofhttp://maps.google.com/. Tony S: Project Homeland: NGA program not dissimilar to GOS to harvest data in event of “event”. Tim H: work with ESRI on data integration issues. Ray F: secure side of National Map basically same thing as Project Homeland. BARGIS (Bay Area) and Colorado pilots. Very large document, will place at MSDIS (documenthere). Issue of data being shared.

OITTom Stokes

OIT now ITSD. Consolidated with OA-DIS. Debbie Tedeschi leaving. Now is a really good time to get a GIS Coordinator position. Need bylaws changes, section 4.2, others, due to references to OIT.

Missouri GIS Conference

Conference Chair/Arrangements: Ryan Lanclos & Tony Spicci Tony: total participants 312. Conference generated about $45,000, cost about $41,000, so about $4,000 generated. 2007: October or February, vote split. Tan-Tar-A: President’s Day week, can shift forward one day, will affect salon availability but workshops can move to Thursday and avoid availability problem. Would like to decide today. Motion from David D to hold at Tan-Tar-A Tuesday-Thursday after President’s Day in February. Note from Tony that room rates would apply the weekend before. Liz Cook second. Motion approved by vote. Tony will make arrangements. Ray F: were numbers up? Tony: yes.

MSDIS Activities

Quarterly report on web site, also linked from MGISAC home page. Martin adding budget spreadsheet. Steve Gay asked for RFP to be sent out, Greg Breuer set up list for vendors and for local government (two lists). Jim L would like to focusLocGovlist toLocGovmembers, please do not subscribe needlessly. Lot of new data going up, list is really long. CARES 10m DEM up. 23 students in 2 Intro toArcGISclasses, one with HAZUS focus. Had all 19 Regional Planning Committees sign addendums for National Map. Thanks to all who helped getRPCson board. Five regional trainings at end of April: St. Joseph, Perryville, SMSU, GTC, and Trenton. Three-day classes. Metadata explorer available to MGISAChttp://msdis-maps.missouri.edu/metadataexplorer/ still under construction, available for review.ArcSDEsolution should be up May 1. Tim H: flood map modernization: FEMA working with SEMA to remap all counties in Missouri, 10 counties in queue now; USGS doing Boone and Franklin, CARES/GRC doing other eight. Howard, Ralls, Montgomery, Warren, Audrain,MacDonald, ?. State Remote Sensing workshop April 28 at Capitol Plaza Hotel at 9 a.m., multiple presentations. Detailed agenda out tomorrow. Lunch provided. Discussion.

NSGIC Dues

MGISAC is a state coordinating council. Dues run July 1 to June 30. Motion from Tony S, seconded by Ryan L. Mark D: where is the money coming from? We are behind a year; $3,000 forFY05was paid by MSDIS. Discussion. Motion from Tony S to renew NSGIC membership forFY06. Motion withdrawn. Issue assigned to Strategic Planning subcommittee. Ideas to Tony S in next two weeks. Ray F expressed need to holdStratPlanmeeting before next full meeting. Discussion.

State GIS Coordinator Position

Dan Ross behind idea 100%, budget constraints, have given justification to Dan Ross, referred to NSGIC coordination criteria. Request from Jeff S to see what was submitted. Jeff F suggested small subcommittee to address this specifically. Discussion. Suggestion from Tony S to convince ITAB that NSGIC membership is good for the state and to cover dues through State. Ryan L, Tony S, others for GIO subcommittee.

ESRI Contract

Withdrawn

Round Table

Tony S: NAIP 04 imagery at MDC soon
Sonny S: Nominated Dan Ross and Mike Sutherland to attend conference. Note about GOS. Master purchase agreement potential for state. ESRI now has an enterprise license model for states.

Announcement of Next Meeting

May 12, 2005 at the MDC Employee Credit Union

Adjournment

Adjourned at 12:22 p.m.

 

 

Comments are closed.