Minutes for June 13, 2024

Minutes for June 13, 2024

MGISAC Meeting Minutes
Call to Order – 10:02am


Ex-Officio Members
MSDIS – Thomas Vought – p
OA-ITSD/NSGIC – Tracy Schloss – pp
USGS – David Nail – p
State Members
DNR – Zackary Becker – p
MDC – Tim Bixler – p
MOARNG – Wiley Howell – p
MoDOT – Colin Duewell – p

Cooperating Members
All State Consultants – Katilin Belk – p
BCFPD – Jason Warzinik – p
Boone County – Matt Smith – p
City of Columbia – Calvin Patterson – p
City of Jefferson – Buster Schrage – p
City of KC, Water – Stacey Roberts – p
Cole County – Melissa Johnson – p
Mid-MO RPC – Jennifer Bowden – p
MO 911 Board – Brian Maydwell – p
MU Extension/CARES – Chris Barnett – p
Northwest MO State – Ming-Chih Hung – p
Sanborn – Brad Arshat – p
Surdex – Steve Kasten – p
GISCI – Tony Spicci – p
US ACE ST. Louis – Jennifer Backer – p
Washington University – Mollie Webb – p
City of Springfield – Nathan Huggins – pp
City of Branson – Curtis Copeland – p

Other Attendees
Dan R
Dustin Goodwin
Ryan Rhee
Shawn Penman
Richard Jones
Dvid Nykokym
Jack King
Amanda Bybee
Philip Marley
Rick Staudinger
Morgan Holtmeyer
Tara Vansell

Approval of Minutes – Motion made and seconded to approve minutes from the May MGISAC meeting. Motion passed unanimously.


OGI Report – Still waiting on Governor to sign the budget for fiscal year 2025, starting in July 1. A New Decision Item was approved that will support GIS expansion, including an Esri Enterprise License Agreement (ELA) for all the agencies that OA/ITSD supports. The Governor is allowed to strike certain items from the budget, but we hope this won’t happen since this expansion was in his recommended budget initially. Annual maintenance for these agencies are mostly due the end of August, so timing is tight to get this written and approved. Esri Master Purchase Agreement is also starting again in this same time frame. The new product list is expected to contain the new user types that Esri is rolling out this June. Tracy has been meeting regularly with fiscal staff in OA and ITSD and Esri to move these contracts along. This budget includes a chunk of money to support MSDIS more long term.
There’s currently a vacancy to support SEMA (Reid has left.) This will be posted soon. We gained new FTEs in this budget request. When you see multiple postings this is mostly because we’re growing our office.
Tracy hasn’t not gotten with CIO John Laurent about membership letters. It’s on my to-do list for this week.
There’s an imagery stakeholder meeting for later this month, Monday, June 24. Attendees are upper management from the agencies, since we need support at this level to manage imagery funding any differently than we have. The purpose of these meetings is to discuss funding and scheduling for future flights

MSDIS Report – May 2024
Updated Data
– Boone County 2023 1m Tree Canopy Imagery Service

MSDIS General News
Taking advantage of the glorious downtime afforded by the end of the semester, I have begun carefully reviewing the usage statistics (as reported via ArcGIS Server Manager) of our various imagery services. In particular, my interest is directed at some of our older, more topic-specific services, such as the historic St Louis data, the oldest NAIP imagery, and several of the emergency management projects. While I would love to be able to always keep all these services active, the fact of the matter is that there are a lot of imagery services that get little to no use. As such, I started taking some of these older services offline throughout the month of May. This includes all NAIP imagery prior to 2010, all St Louis imagery prior to 2022, and all emergency management imagery other than the 3-inch resolution Joplin service. Because I have an impeccable sense of timing, I was almost immediately contacted about the loss of the 2019 Jefferson City tornado imagery, which was of particular interest to several entities given that May 2024 happened to be the five-year anniversary of the event. That service was turned back on and remains active. As of the writing of this update, I have not received any complaints or concerns about the loss of the other services.
In addition to server cleanup, I have added the first four months of imagery server logs to the MSDIS Data Archive. These are the same raw server logs that I had previously used to create the monthly usage reports before we migrated to the new imagery server.

MSDIS Downtime
A representative from MoDOT reported a slowdown in the NAIP 2022 imagery service at 2:55PM on Thursday, 23 May 2024. On investigating the service, I was able to replicate the interruption. In lieu of my usual method of restarting the whole server, I attempted a more surgical fix by restarting just the NAIP 2022 service via ArcGIS Server Manager. This workflow appeared to resolve the issue, as confirmed by MoDOT.

Image Server Statistics
Since the replacement of the MSDIS Image Server, we have struggled to find a software to provide a comprehensive breakdown of server and service usage. We had hoped that the statistics pulled directly from ArcGIS Server Manager would be a suitable substitute, but the very bare-bones records were significantly less than what we wanted.
Moving forward, we will no longer publish these numbers in our monthly reports. We will remain on the lookout for a reliable option for parsing the server usage in the hope that we can publish these numbers again. The raw server logs are still being saved if anyone requires them. Should anyone need a rough estimate of usage for certain specific services, we are more than happy to run those numbers via Server Manager.

Treasurer’s Report – No change. $35,144.36. NSGIC renewed around $1700 will hit soon. That renewed 5 current representatives. Need to review who we want as reps. Leadership had budget meeting to do mid-term review. 1/3rd planned budget spent so far. No modifications proposed.

Membership Report – No change. It’s renewal season waiting on CIO letters.

By-Laws Report – No change.

Discussion Topic – 508 compliance. CARES getting some questions from other agencies on how to go about it. ESRI has some guidance out there.

Committee Reports

Data Development – had some emails about Lidar and Imagery. Rhyan Rhee will be taking over as chair of data dev committee.

911 – Imagery processing is complete and started loading into viewer. Bigger area this time. Data Ag portal running and getting data submissions. 16 counties done initial assessment. Dashboard out there so folks can check if they have submitted yet and if validated. 30 grants for 35 counties, 8 more hopefully coming. 19 NG911 grants.

Legislative – MGISAC legislation didn’t pass due to basic politics. If interested we can start process again. Taylor willing to present. Issue this time was that language didn’t go through OA fist so it got changed. Would like to really have language locking in before so no changes during process. With new governor and some new legislators it’s hard to say how things may go next time. Discussion of a revolving fund for imagery. Might be useful to tie into our legislation to help. A possible different strategy. North Carolina man sued by surveyor organization for apparently doing licenses surveying work with GIS. There is a proposal to have GIS people licenses.

North Carolina Drone Operator to Seek Further Review in First Amendment Lawsuit

Education – School is out. Next is figuring out how to get teacher workshop mixed with conference. Struggling to get educators at group meetings. Going to ask some teachers on a panel later today. Need to find a way into the clique. Need to find out if council can help in any way. Could use a list of general workforce needs. St. Louis seems to think that geo-intelligence is all the industry needs. A while ago some members gave presentation at Columbia Career Center about job opportunities that teachers can steer kids toward.

Outreach – Have conference dates to update webpage. Talked about some kind of GIS social or working group/networking. Still don’t know how to access LinkedIn. Looking for high resolution version of Logo. Trying to update data dev and council history pages. July 10-11 Geo Camp for girls from Dep. Of Geography at MU. MGISAC used to sponsor this kind of stuff and is still interested if a camp needs some help.

Conference – Conference date is set for April 21-24, 2025. Doodle will be going out to have meeting to set the theme and logo. Need these things so that we can start sending out save-the-dates and doing social media pushes.

Liaison Reports

MAGIC – Symposium was successful. Great attendance. Have new officers now. August is the retreat.
NSGIS – No Report.

Cooperating Agency Report

USGS – Lidar in SEMO QL1. August will get pilot data. Looking ahead of schedule. Preliminary data may occur September to November. Have 7 SW MO is now downloadable and Lake Wappapello. Northern SEMO published and headed for Tom.

Adjourned – 11:11am

Comments are closed.