Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – March 10, 2005

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:12 a.m.

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Tim Haithcoatpresent
Tom Stokespresent

State Members

Gary Beahan (Dep’t of Economic Development)absent
Debbie Briedwell (Dep’t of Health and Senior Services)present
Chair Jeff Falter (State Emergency Management Agency)present
Vice-chair Jeff Haney (Dep’t of Revenue)present
Bobbie Sue Koelling (Dep’t of Elementary and Secondary Education)present
Ryan Lanclos (Dep’t of Agriculture)present
Eric Maness (Missouri National Guard)absent
WallaceMcMullen(Dep’t of Mental Health)present
Jeff Schloss (Dep’t of Natural Resources)present
Tony Spicci (Dep’t of Conservation)present
Mike Sutherland (Rep. 99th District)absent
Arnold Williams (Dep’t of Transportation)present

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth Cook (USDA-NRCS)excused
Secretary David Drum (MOREnet)present
Mike Duncan (St. Louis County Dep’t of Planning)absent
Ray Fox (USGS/MCMC)excused
Dawn Hilderbrand (City of Kansas City)present
Pam Kelrick (City of Kirksville, Adair Co.)excused
Curtis Koons (Cass County)absent
Kevin Kuhlmann (Village of Innsbrook)excused
JamesLaScala(City of Liberty)present
Steve Marsh (Jackson County)present
Gary Mook (EastWestGateway)present
Greg Resz (City of Jefferson)present
Kim Swisher (Missouri Mappers Association)absent
Diane True (MoRAP)present

Other Attendees

Mark Duewell (MSDIS)

Approval of the Minutes

February minutes on the web site. Minor corrections to GIT Architecture, MSDIS Activity. Comment from WallaceMcMullenabout house bill discussion not being detailed in the minutes. Minutes were approved by motion (Tony Spicci), second (JimLaScala), and vote.

Subcommittee Reports

By-lawsJeff Falter

No Report

CommunicationsDavid Drum

Missouri projects page up, please contribute more projects.

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Good meeting at conference, good spectrum of people. Putting together a survey, trying to coordinate flights. Looking to partner with anyone to achieve leaf-off DOQQ. Putting together web pages to go on site.

Education and OutreachRyan Lanclos

No Report

GIS Data PolicyTim Haithcoat

Two letters distributed by Jeff Falter to Dan Ross on house bills, sent to Dan Ross. No feedback yet. Not sure Mike Sutherland was notified that the meeting Tuesday night of the conference was recorded. Tim Haithcoat would rather summarize. Motion from Jeff Schloss, seconded by Ryan Lanclos to summarize. WallaceMcMullenrequested discussion of content of letters. Outlined concerns. Tim H: bill came from a specific stakeholder, ideal would be to bring all stakeholders together. Greg Resz: get stakeholders talking, we don’t need to lead. Local government up rather than State government down. Tim H: facilitator? Greg R: yes. Comment from Wallace M. Tim H: local associations don’t talk to each other. Find out who’s willing to talk, yes? Greg R: yes. Tim H: too scattered to speak with one voice, can’t influence legislation. Steve Marsh: first discussion needs to be: what do we want to advocate for? state resources for a GIS coordinator? money for local government data development? what is the most appropriate to go for, who are the stakeholders for those items, where does this live in the subcommittee structure? what do we want to accomplish, what is in it for the stakeholders? need a position paper to give to local groups. Jeff Schloss: agree. how do data policy and legislation fit together, is this discussion in the right subcommittee? Tony Spicci: we have a legislative liaison, Mike Sutherland. Comment from Steve M. JimLaScala: we have a strategic plan subcommittee. Diane True: should not get set in goals before we talk to other groups. Tony S: we can set our own goals but still listen to other groups. Comment from Steve M. Tony S: issues differ from goals. Debbie Briedwell: disagreement with content of House bill 349 letter. Comments from Steve M and Greg R. Tim H explained softening language in letter. Jim L: state: “give us data” vs. local “help us pay for data acquisition”. Tim H: across the country the states that are most progressive, the state has helped foster local government data acquisition. Jeff S: data development subcommittee is touching on some of these issues, passed around draft survey. Disagreement with beginning of letters, agreement with recommendations. Tim H: Senate bill 210 still active, can suggest changes to it. Jim L: how does local government subcommittee feel about legislation? Comment from Tim H. Mark Duewell: Mike Sutherland has specifically offered to advance legislation, let’s get an effort going. Discussion. Suggestion to ask Mike S to ask Dan Ross to ask MGISAC to look into issues.

GIS Training & CertificationTom Stokes

Jeff Schloss: Question: anyone know where MOTECArcSDEforDB2inquiry came from? Terry Libbert: DSS and two other groups. Tim H: trying to figure out how to offer MSDIS training at MOTEC, include City and County if seats are available.

GIT ArchitectureTim Haithcoat

Secretary of State Office validated that Addressing standards are in sync with Help America Vote Act. Working in different areas with Architecture, need help. Beginning Centerline standard, can ship out to full committee, Addressing standard part built into Centerline standard. Looking for participation and review. Jeff Haney working on Cartography standard, map symbology. Spatial indexing review. Geocoding tools survey and review. Accuracy statement for geocoding. Data management side, currently developing email id, gender, race, country of origin standards. Terry L: have you checked Federal standards? Tim H: yes, there are issues.

Homeland SecurityDebbie Briedwell

Working on prioritization of layers, will feed to Data Development. Next meeting in April.

Local GovernmentSteve Marsh

Steve M: commented on House bills, Jim L set up mailing list for local government, talk to Jim. Intend to get together to set time to meet. Set goals for year, add to Strategic Plan. Jim L: had about 10 local government people express interest in subcommittee. Discussion.

NominationsTom Stokes

Discussion about nominations process. Jeff Schloss nominated Terry Libbert.

Strategic PlanningPam Kelrick

Tony S: Pam Kelrick out, will miss April and May meetings. Tony will help Pam keep on schedule. Subcommittee meeting today cancelled.

Liaison Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

No Report

Federal/USGSRay Fox

Tony S: Ray Fox and Tony working on an NSDI document supporting USGS changes. Comment from Tim H.

ITABJeff Falter/Tony Spicci

Worldwide Tech vendor fair March 16-17 at Capitol Plaza hotel. Digital government summit June 16 at Capitol Plaza hotel. MGISAC, MSDIS interest in presenting

MACOGGary Mook

No Report

MAGICTim Haithcoat

Next meeting March 24 in Kansas City.

MORAPDiane True

No Report

MMAKim Swisher

No Report

NSGICTony Spicci

Update after mid-year conference.

OITTom Stokes

Ron Thomas taking over State Architect responsibilities. Question from Debbie B about IT consolidation as it relates to GIS. Jeff Falter comment about federal funding complications. Tony S: still a lot to be worked out. Could invite Dan Ross to meeting to explain. Jeff F will wait until an expected white paper is published.

Missouri GIS Conference

Conference Chair/Arrangements: Ryan Lanclos & Tony Spicci Ryan L: may need to double up chairs. Also need a conference book and schedule. Tony S: one of the more successful conferences. Keynotes full, sessions full, waiting for final figures from Jamie. Had over 300 attendees, met room block. Should at least break even if not generate some funds. Do we want to do this in 2007? Select chairs now, pick dates now. Tan-Tar-A dates, three available, best one over same holiday weekend. Other times of year significantly higher cost. Diane T: do you know when the natural resources conference is? Tony S: last week in February. Motion from Jim L, second from Steve M, to hold conference, approved by vote. Wallace M likes Tuesday-Thursday schedule. Discussion. Motion to work with Univerisity of Missouri-Columbia Conference Office from Jim L, multiple seconds, approved by vote. Discussion about sessions, need for people to learn something instead of just sit through an interesting talk. Tim H: require handouts. Mark D: track through whole conference on starting a GIS. Discussion. Jim L: need to pull more locals in, they attract vendors. Discussion about other conferece subcommittees.

MSDIS Activities

Data conversion to SDE going well, National Map NAIP beginning, developing CAP training for Regional Planning Councils, GTC two training sessions coming upIntro toArcGISand HAZUS. Mark D attending FEMA GIS training in April. Sat down with ESRI staff to discuss training licensing, projects, technical assistance, on-site SDE support, talk about the future. ESRI very supportive.

Proposed GIS Bill

Jeff H: what do you want me to ask Mike Sutherland to do? Jeff F: what do we want to go to him with? Tim H: we would like a directive allowing us to pull together a consortia of groups to develop a GIS bill. Would Dan Ross initiate that activity. Mark D: gets to the three-four focus items. Tim H: resources for local government, joint development activity, joint coordination, data policy.

Round Table

Steve Marsh: several positions open in SDE, IMS. Jackson County residency required.
David Drum: is the detail of the minutes sufficient? Group: yes.
Terry Libbert: is there a way to consolidateArcSDElicenses? Tony S: complexity of purchasing, licensing, support. Held up at state. Discussion about renewing effort for statewide license.
Arnold Williams: working withRPCs. State highway maps about to go to print. Migrating to Arc 9. Working with a few counties, leasing GPS for centerline, bridge, basemap work. Beginning to work with SDE.
Debbie Briedwell: setting up SDE/Oracle, looking for others with the same setup. Springfield mentioned.
JimLaScala: tree inventory in right-of-ways, looking for interns, but they need to know their trees.

Announcement of Next Meeting

April 14, 2004 at the MDC Employee Credit Union

Adjournment

Adjourned at 11:52 a.m.

 

 

Comments are closed.