Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – October 13, 2005

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:18 a.m.

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Tim Haithcoatpresent
Tom Stokespresent

State Members

Debbie Briedwell (Dep’t of Health and Senior Services)present
Chair Jeff Falter (State Emergency Management Agency)present
Bobbie Sue Koelling (Dep’t of Elementary and Secondary Education)excused
Vice-chair Ryan Lanclos (Dep’t of Agriculture)present
Terry Libbert (Dep’t of Social Services)present
Eric Maness (Missouri National Guard)absent
Jeff Schloss (Dep’t of Natural Resources)present
Tony Spicci (Dep’t of Conservation)present
Mike Sutherland (Rep. 99th District)absent
Arnold Williams (Dep’t of Transportation)excused

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth Cook (USDA-NRCS)present
Secretary David Drum (MOREnet)present
Mike Duncan (St. Louis County Dep’t of Planning)absent
Ray Fox (USGS/MCMC)excused
Michael Gawedzinski (Whiteman AFB)present
Dawn Hilderbrand (City of Kansas City)excused
Pam Kelrick (City of Kirksville, Adair Co.)present
Curtis Koons (Cass County)absent
Kevin Kuhlmann (Village of Innsbrook)excused
JamesLaScala(City of Liberty)present
Steve Marsh (Jackson County)present
Gary Mook (EastWestGateway)excused
Greg Resz (City of Jefferson)present
Kim Swisher (Missouri Mappers Association)absent
Diane True (MoRAP)present

Other Attendees

Mark Duewell (MSDIS)
Melissa Lanclos (Dept’ of Economic Development)
Dan Ross (State CIO)
Bill Wiesepape (GEC, Inc.)

State CIO DiscussionDan Ross

I had the sense that GIS was missing from Homeland Security discussions in recent meetings. We have created a Homeland Security subcommittee for IT including GIS. Productive meeting. Ryan Lanclos has been appointed GIO. Among other things, GIO will be the Federal coordination point for the state. Hopefully resources will become available after July 1, 2006. Have read and like the MGISAC Strategic Plan. [GIS as an Economic Development tool] [On state IT consolidation] Trying to avoid 16 similar decisions at 16 different cabinet-level agencies. Question from Jeff Schloss about location of GIO within the new organizational chart. Dan: GIS may cross groups. Question from Greg Resz about the GIO becoming a permanent position. Dan: It is my intent in the future to create the GIO position out of FTE savings; this will have to be weighed against all IT needs. [Description of savings through sharing expertise] [Goal of meeting needs through cost-effective, centralized fashion]

State GIO DiscussionRyan Lanclos

Not just coordinating state gov’t activities, but reaching out to local gov’t to try to act as a state. [Opportunity for outside facilitators to assist committee with goals] [Other opportunities to facilitate and assist across all activities] [Relationship between GIO and committee] Business case called for ex-officio membership; currently I am vice-chair. Possibility of resigning as vice-chair; looking to committee for direction. Question from Jeff Schloss about GIO also being an ex-officio member of ITAB? Ryan: yes; yet to be determined. Debbie Briedwell: Dep’t of Agriculture needs to have a voting member on the committee. Ryan: may bring someone else in to represent Ag. Jeff Falter: would like to discuss ex-officio status of GIO. Tony Spicci: is Ryan the GIO or just acting GIO? Dan: he is the GIO. Motion from Steve Marsh to make GIO an ex-officio member. Multiple seconds. Approved by vote.

Approval of the Minutes

September minutes on the web site. Motion from Tony Spicci to approve minutes, multiple seconds, approved by vote.

Subcommittee Reports

By-lawsJeff Falter

Will make changes next month concerning GIO, ITAB liaison responsibilities.

CommunicationsDavid Drum

Met with MSDIS about web site technology directions.

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Jeff S: Ray and I are meeting withMoRAPsoon.

Education and OutreachRyan Lanclos

Resigning as chair. Jeff F: need a new chair.

GIS Data PolicyTony Spicci

Jeff F: now chaired by Tony Spicci. Ryan L: myself, Dan Ross, and Mike Sutherland will meet at the end of the month to discuss legislation.

GIS Training & CertificationTom Stokes

No Report

GIT ArchitectureTim Haithcoat

Centerline standards moving forward; hope to have a draft out by the end of the month. Tasked by ITAB and Dan Ross to look at geocoding software, etc. whether to purchase an enterprise resource, also by the end of the month. Architecture templates defining data elements coming out via mailng list soon.

Homeland SecurityTim Haithcoat

Tim H chairing now. Quick turnaround via listtrying to amend state plan to include GIS. Will allow locals to write geospatial into their plans. Question from Liz C about this morning’s meeting with Dan Ross and SEMA. Discussion. Tim: we could be chosen for a Project Homeland. Discussion.

Local GovernmentSteve Marsh/Greg Resz

Steve M: making slow, steady progress on outline. Meeting at 12:45 today. Will discuss information Pam K needs for Strategic Plan. Kansas City MARC trying to fly springtime imagery, though it is getting more complicated. Added oblique to orthophotography requirements; maybe add LIDAR too. RFP should be out in one to two weeks. Discussion.

NominationsTom Stokes

Vice-chair office open. Jeff F: open nominations now through October 28; will send out a ballot with elections held at November meeting. Tim H: have Melissa Lanclos coming in from Dep’t of Economic Development. Tom S: please give contact information to me and I will pass along to Dan Ross.

Strategic PlanningPam Kelrick

Handout of new annual work plan outline. Description. Subcommittee chairs should not hesitate to contact Pam K with questions.

Liaison Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

Common Land Unit layer is on line now via NRCS Lighthouse Gateway.

Federal/USGSRay Fox

No Report

ITABJeff Falter/Tony Spicci

Will move this to GIO report. ITAB announced Ryan Lanclos as GIO.

MACOGDoug Hermes

No Report

MAGICTim Haithcoat

No Report

MORAPDiane True

Working on Natural Resources data needs on October 24 at 9:00 a.m. at 4200 New Haven, Columbia.

MMAKim Swisher

No Report

NSGICTony Spicci

NSGIC Annual conference held recently in Rochester, NY. About 325 attendees, 35 sponsors. Gaining a lot of traction among states, federal, private. Met with multiple Federal agencies. Imagery for the Nation proposal approved by the board at the conference. A lot of support from both Federal and local government. Believe this will move forward. Will not replace NAIP or other specific imagery functions. Information on Imagery for the Nation available on the NSGIC web site, currently under the Ortho committee; will be linked from the home page soon. Three scales of resolution based on population density. All leaf-off. Would allow states to split expense over three-year period to have a flat budget line item. Discussion of proposal goals. Tony: locals are really happy about this proposal. NSGIC Strategic Plan has been approved. RAMONA (GIS Inventory Tool) is also now official. Both state and local entities can maintain an inventory in RAMONA. Perhaps in the future it will integrate into the Geospatial One Stop. Thirteen states (Missouri included) will pilot RAMONA. Mark D: MSDIS has the NSGIC presentation on RAMONA; could present it at the next meeting, put it on the web site, etc. Tony: Geospatial One Stop version 2 is supposed to go live soon. Google-enabled. NGPO/FGDC/USGS moving forward in an interesting way. NSGIC has received a grant to focus on seeding state strategic plans consistent with the goals of the NSDI and the Fifty-States Initiative. Will create a template of what a good strategic plan is. USGS is funding ten states at approximate $50,000 each. Discussion. Tony: Federal government and FGDC discussion about governance of NSDI coming up; USGS very supportive, some agencies less so. Project Bluebook: USGS/DHS/NGA lessons learned out of Project Homeland; templates, etc. Principles and ideas are good. Anyone involved in Homeland Security should check this out. Tim H: DHS being asked to validate the templates; there will probably be a revision. Data-sharing agreements included. 800 pages; have fun! Tony: met with several agencies about Katrina data availability of HSIP Gold layers. Discussion. Tony: legislation has been passed which will shore up the E-911 centers. Affected E-911 centers have to use GIS and use it effectively.

ITSDTom Stokes

Covered previously.

Missouri GIS ConferenceRyan Lanclos/Tony Spicci

Please comment on 2009 conference dates.

MSDIS Activities

RAMONA recap. MSDIS Q1 report out. Applied as a beta state but don’t have an official response. New GTC schedule up; goes out six months. A lot of changes on the web sitenew content, new data, new local government site, cookbook, grants, and presentations. Phani has left for GE; Greg is leaving for MODOT. Tom S: still encouraging agencies to contribute to geospatial projects compendium.

ESRI Contract

Tom S: collected information from agencies to update discussions with ESRI. Ryan will be involved in future negotiations. Discussion.

Round Table

Ryan L: have a position open with database and some GIS responsibilities.
Steve M: have an IMS position open
Debbie B: GIS Day next month

Announcement of Next Meeting

November 10, 2005 at the MDC Main Building Commission Board Room

Adjournment

Adjourned at 11:25 a.m.

 

 

Comments are closed.