Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – November 9, 2006

State Emergency Management Agency-Emergency Operations Center-9:00 am

Call to Order

Called to order at 9:08 am.

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Ryan Lanclospresent
Tim Haithcoatabsent

State Members

Debbie BriedwellVice-chairpresent
Bobbie Sue KoellingChairpresent
Melissa Lanclospresent
Eric Manessabsent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tony Spicciexcused
Beth Struempfpresent
Mike Sutherlandpresent
Becky Veitpresent
Arnold Williamsabsent

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth Cookpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Mike Duncanabsent
Ray Foxpresent
Dawn Hilderbrandpresent
Pam Kelrickpresent
Curtis Koonsabsent
Kevin Kuhlmannexcused
JimLaScalapresent
Steve Marshpresent
Gary Mookexcused
Greg Reszpresent
Ed Siegmundabsent
Diane Truepresent

Other Attendees

Kim BurnsESRI
Mark DuewellMSDIS (proxy for Tony Spicci)
Nathan MattoxUM-Extension
Paulette MitchellMidwest CAD
Helen StewartSEMA

Approval of the Minutes

October minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve by Ray Fox, second by Jeff Schloss, approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

Announcements/Executive Activity

By-laws

Bylaws are open for review to clarify officer replacement. Jeff S, Mark D, others will participate. Steve M: time to eliminate the requirement of chair and vice-chair being state employees.

Nominations

Michael Gawedzinski resigned. No word if Whiteman AFB will nominate a replacement.

State GIO ReportRyan Lanclos

Explanation of Homeland Security grants from Tom Mohr will be at the next meeting.

Notice ofArcServergrant through ESRI. CAP grant announcement should come in November. New GIO should be announced in the next couple weeks. DOQ project still in the works, still short on funding. Short $290k for half-state 2ft; short $200k for half-state 1m. Being pursued aggressively. MOMAP being picked up by DNR. Al Garrison from SEMA will assist with data needs. Been a pleasure working with you. Ray F: has there been any thought to dividing the state into thirds? Ryan L: it could; explanation of timing and mechanics of funding. Kim B: will GIS employees be added to ITSD employee locator? Jeff S: I’d like to add this. Ryan L: there are 47 approved skills, talk to Jan Grecian to add more.

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Ray F: need to have a meeting to discuss impact of Ryan’s departure and funding status. Jeff S: any point in meeting before a new GIO is appointed? Ryan L: yes, we need to push in order to be ready in the spring. Discussion.

Funding & GrantsPam Kelrick/Ryan Lanclos

50 States Initiative grant “coming any day now”. Thought it was Nov 3, now it is mid-Nov. Very short turnaround time. Need a lot of coordination, will be difficult in absence of GIO. Many decisions need to be made to submit good, thoughtful application. Discussion needs to occur about what general direction will be. Many recipients of grant in the past have not been successful in achieving the aim of their application. Would like to focus on achievable goals. Is there one item so important to focus solely on? Discussion.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementTim Haithcoat

Ryan L: Typically the second Tuesday of every month, next week cancelled.

Local Government GroupSteve Marsh/Greg Resz

Steve M: Miniconference in Concordia April 19.

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell/David Drum/Jim LaScala

Mark D: Busy with the conference; registration is open. Mailing lists have been busy. Brochures still haven’t been printed. Motion to have brochures printed if funds are available. Discussion about funds downpayment to Tan-Tar-A from last month. Waiting on Jamie to tell us how much deposit will be. Second Steve M, approved by vote.

Strategic PlanningPam Kelrick

Meeting today here after lunch. Will discuss how 50 States grant will change existing strategic plan. Encourage everyone to attend. Debbie B: has annual report been approved? Pam K: yes. Ryan L: Jeff F was to submit it to Dan Ross.

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

Ryan L: Cadastral standard still in the works, should be approved in the next couple months. Steve M: will a new PIN number be required, or duplicate ids, or …? Ryan L: just going forward, not retroactive, and an interchange standard. Discussion.

Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

Ryan L: introduce Mike Sutherland, 99th district rep. Mike S: former assessor, been in the legislature 4 yrs, got 2 more on Tuesday. Want to take a more active role, will be glad to be an advocate. Challenge will be educating the legislature. Another former assessor from Monroe Co is now a legislator, have representation in both parties. Jeff S: time to schedule next GIS Day at the Capitol? Ryan L: time to start looking at the calendar, yes. Contact Facilities Management for first floor, Senate and House Administration for third floor. Discussion.

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

Mark D: Hoping people have had a chance to look atNAIP06. Purchased 6 servers and 2 powervaults, will establish mirror site in kansas. Will get out to most of the area user groups in the coming weeks. Jeff S: are you considering serving data in geodb format in addition to shapefile and arc interchange formats? Mark D: mandate from committee to make data available in published formats so geodatabase format would be in addition to these. Discussion.

Missouri GIS Conference

Ryan L: registration open! Go and register. If you encounter any difficulties, let Jamie or Tony know. Jim L: need PDF registration brochure online for people who are not allowed to register on the Internet.
Arrangements: Jamie working with Tan-Tar-A about room block. Ray F: can we reserve rooms now? Mark D: I have, but worried that room block ends Tuesday night of the conference.
Keynote: all speakers have confirmed. Rep. Sutherland, Learon Dalby, Missouri Botanical Garden.
Program: if you have a session topic that needs to be in the program, let me know. Only have about 6 or 7 abstracts, start shaking the trees now, we’re already behind.
Workshops: have a good variety, new workshops. Are teaching workshops throughout conference.
Exhibits: have 6 exhibitors, keep shaking the trees, would like to fill all 28 slots. Ray F: how can I promote to vendors at St. Charles User Group? Jim L: have Jamie mail you some exhibitor packets.
Social: on for wine reception. Tweaked menu for Tuesday to reduce cost. Working on decorations, again keeping costs in mind.

MAGIC Symposium Committee

Steering committee asserting more control, worked hard at retreat. New subcommittees: emergency response, Outreach and Education, Technical, Finance.

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

LIDAR project kick-off Nov 30 9am at Parkade Center.

Federal/USGSRay Fox

Exhibiting at St. Charles GIS Day at St. Charles Community College. Passed around example line map generated from national map data.

MACOGEd Siegmund

No Report

MORAPDiane True

Have been talking to Monica Wilbur at ESRI about what’s new in Arc 9.2 in January at Environmental Research Center. Exact date TBD.

MMAJennifer Peterson

Discussion about who representative is.

MSPSDon Martin

New representative, John Teale

NSGICTony Spicci

No Report

Round Table Discussionall

Liz C: met with Surdex to look at imagery from new digital camera. imagery is very blue, working with intergraph and Leica. resolution is impressive, though.
Debbie B: next week is Geography week. Having open house next Wed from 1-4. 930 Wildwood
Steve M: our imagery from digital camera and colors and resolution are impressive.
Greg R: what happened to DNR, Conservation, USDA contributions to Imagery for the State. Liz C: our contribution was in-kind. Jeff S: DNR will consdier contributing when a product and cost share have been determined. Discussion.
Jim L: GIS Day at Clay Co mapping office Wed 11-3. Looking for contributions of example needs assessement and implementation plan for workshop.
Pam K: if anyone has ideas for 50 states grant, please tell her. question about availability of remote backup.
Jeff S: have new Web viewer service, not public yet, demonstrating internally on GIS Day. Discussion of streamlining permit process.
Kim B: ESRI office supporting St. Charles GIS Day, send her maps if you would like them displayed. 12/12 free half-day seminar “GIS for Water” in Columbia. Arc 9.2 on the way.
Ray F: USGS liaison in Idaho position open.

Announcement of next meeting

December 14, 2006 @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Adjourned 11:22 am

 

 

Comments are closed.