Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – December 14, 2006

Department of Elementary and Secondary Education – 205 Jefferson St., 1st Floor Conference Room -9:00 am

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:01 am

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Tony Spicciproxy for Arnold Williamspresent
Tim Haithcoatpresent

State Members

Debbie BriedwellVice-chairexcused
Bobbie Sue KoellingChairpresent
Melissa Lanclosexcused
Eric Manessabsent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Beth Struempfpresent
Mike Sutherlandpresent
Becky Veitpresent
Arnold Williamsexcused

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth Cookexcused
David DrumSecretarypresent
Mike Duncanabsent
Ray Foxproxy for Liz Cookpresent
Dawn Hilderbrandexcused
Pam Kelrickexcused
Curtis Koonsabsent
Kevin Kuhlmannabsent
JimLaScalaexcused
Steve Marshproxy for JimLaScalapresent
Gary Mookexcused
Greg Reszpresent
Ed Siegmundabsent
Kim Swisherabsent
Diane Truepresent

Other Attendees

Terri Amoroso, Cole County
Linden Bates, Sanborn Map
Kim Burns, ESRI
Tim Donze, Surdex
Mark Duewell, MSDIS
David Finch, DPS/OHS
Melissa Johnson
Nathan Mattox, UM-Extension
Kent Park, Earthdata
Jamie Schieber, Custom Meeting Planners
Tracy Schlossproxy for Debbie Briedwell
Bill Walker, Surdex

Discussion by Alan Garrison about Homeland Security Grants

David Finch attending: no fewer than three GIS working groups, trying to get an idea of who is doing what. In the past, got money, divvied it up, sent it out. Now looking at how money is being spent, making sure it is interoperable.

Approval of the Minutes

November minutes available on the web site. Reapproval of minutes (with quorum): motion to approve from Tony Spicci, second from Greg Resz, approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

Announcements/Executive Activity

No Report

By-laws

JS read proposed changes. Meeting does not have a quorum. Issue of members with three or more unexcused absences forfeiting membership touched on. Possibility of postponing action until later (end) of meeting. [Later, with quorum] Reread bylaws. Motion from Greg Resz to table changes, second from Tony Spicci. Discussion. Motion failed. Motion from Tracy Schloss to accept change to section 2.2, second by Bobbie Sue. Motion passed by vote. 4.1.1 spell out GIO at first occurrence. Motion from Ray F, second Beth S, passed. 5.2.1 rule of officer succession. Discussion of Mark’s alternative. Motion from Jeff S not to approve change, second Steve M, motion passes. 7.2 proxy designation. Motion from Tracy S, second Jeff S. Discussion. Call for question by Steve M, second Tony S. Motion reread. Motion did not carry. Discussion about bylaws committee. Tony S: moving forward through consensus.

Nominations

Helen Stewart from SEMA and Alan Garrison (replaced by David Finch) from Homeland Security.

State GIO ReportTony Spicci

Ryan resigned to move to ESRI. Ryan remaining as Conference cochair. Tony now GIO, continuing at Conservation. GIO agenda: increase the amount of coordination; building state spatial data infrastructure; communication. Top 3 items: strategic plan; statewide imagery; coordination with homeland security.

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Discussion about orthoimagery after this meeting. Jeff S and Ray F began effort, Ryan L took it over, CIO would not meet with partners last month, assume Tony S will be taking project over. looking at CAP grant for funding.

Funding & GrantsPam Kelrick

Mark D: been writing a CAP grant on behalf of MAGIC, went out to the states in draft form yesterday, been reviewed by multiple USGS liaisons, Arkansas has signed on. Regional grant for train-the-trainer metadata course. Ray F: FEMA grant, …

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementTim Haithcoat

Met Tuesday. reviewed state HSAC meeting. David F: MERIS Tim H: Skills of National Significance, overview of new Center for Geospatial Intelligence,GeoPDF, etc. Contacted byDoHSto review plan.

Local Government GroupSteve Marsh/Greg Resz

No Report

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell/David Drum/Jim LaScala

Agreed to meet with Rick Childers in Concordia about regional miniconference. Tim H: Columbia Career Center wants to create a geospatial career track, have volunteered some of your names.

Strategic PlanningPam Kelrick

Written report: At the November subcommittee meeting, the Strategic Planning Subcommittee discussed options for reviewing and updating the Strategic Plan. Our discussion led us to make a proposal to the broader MGISAC group. We recommend securing funding to support a professionally moderated gathering (possibly in the form of a day retreat) of the full committee to define the overarching goals of the committee. This proposal is recommended for the following reasons:

1. The Strategic Plan and subsequently the Work Plan are both documents which ought to guide and affect everyone’s activity as it relates to the MGISAC. It stands to reason that therefore every possible person ought to provide input for at least overarching goals.

2. Participation in the strategic planning subcommittee meetings has been chaotic at best. It is unreasonable and unfair to expect even the few regulars to make decisions for the entire group.

3. The Strategic Plan needs significant updating in some components of the plan. This is an excellent time to have the full committee review the document and consider some overarching goals for both the new components as well as on-going projects.

I have discussed this proposal with the new GIO. Although Tony can certainly speak for himself, I believe he supports this effort as a general activity. Towards this end, I intend to work with the GIO to submit a 50 States Initiative grant application to help fund this and other needs for a comprehensive Strategic and Business Plan. The details of this are still being worked out. If anyone has any suggestions or comments about this, please contact Tony or myself.

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

Still working on ETL/ELT. Jumped into data warehousing.

Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

Quiet in DC and JC.

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

USGS end ofFY06funds: equipment received. GPS units will be available for locals. Laptops ready for classroom use. Nathan working with metadata explorer. MSDIS has tentatively agreed to support HSAC with a workshop. Issues. End of Feb. Regional workshop meeting in Concordia at 2:30 today. Diane T: server backup and mirroring? Mark D: MOU was bouncing around previously, purchasing taking place now. KS antsy to move forward. Backups being taken daily. Racing a Jan 1 close.

Missouri GIS Conference

Tony S: most of stuff done, waiting for people to register. Logistically we’re doing well. Please register as soon as possible. !!!!Program Steve M: Really need presenters. Arm-twisting for presentations.

Workshops

Mark D: workshops are all set. Numbers are low, but are “normal” as a percentage of registrations.

Vendors

Jamie: thirteen vendors, two tool times, no sponsors.

Posters

On track

Awards

Mark D: On track, more or less. Please respond to MD email.

Publicity

Bobbie Sue K: checking into putting a link to the conference on the state home page. Tony S: weekly January emails highlighting different aspects of the conference.

Social

Why to come to conf: 1. Mardi Gras Tuesday night 2. Wine Tasting Monday night

MAGIC Symposium Committee

LIDAR workshop developing now, more next meeting. Looking at changes to governance and symposium. Next planning meetings in January and April.

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

No Report

Federal/USGSRay Fox

New contract (gypsy) replaces cartographic services contract. $5m for interesting projects; matching funds helps. National LIDAR meeting 2/14-16 in Reston, want state representation.

MACOGEd Siegmund

No Report

MORAPDiane True

Monday 12/18 1pm ESRI 9.2 rollout at Columbia Environmental Research Center. Cartography, visualization, modelbuilder, server.

MMAJennifer Peterson

No Report

MSPSDon Martin

No Report

NSGICTony Spicci

Mid-year coming up in Annapolis. Fifty States moving along. Imagery for the Nation working with stakeholder groups to get into next legislation. Transportation for the Nation moving along. LIDAR for the Nation being discusssed, personally feel that Elevation for the Nation would be the right approach. Tim H: LIDAR to try to get NASA funds, elevation would be a product. LIDAR+gravity+electromagnetics. Discussion. Going to work to strengthen ties with stakeholder groups.

Round Table Discussionall

David D: apology to Jeff for testy response
Jeff S: issue of unexcused absences, lack of quorum, need to follow bylaws. Suggest ex-officio membership for Rep. Sutherland. DNR staff testingArcIMSviewer application, has metadata everywhere, hoping to roll out in the next month.
Mark D: MSDIS staff undergoing formal training via USGS funds.
Tony S: MDC evaluatingArcGIS9.2 with an eye toward department-wide rollout. Having some problems.
Jeff S: users pretty happy with it, service pack 1 out soon.
Tony S: Conservation Wildlife Strategy applications. Dep’t of Agriculture looking for mapping help. Asked CIO about supporting a teleconferencing service.
Greg R: rolled out 9.2 on two machines.
Steve M: Jackson Co point address database essentially done. Half a million address points. MARC web EOC ready. Eight counties plus KC.
Ray F: very tentative USGS plans for liaisons to add five positions.
Kim B: 9.2 out, phone support was tripled
Beth S: will try to attend 9.2 rollout
Tracy S: will probably wait on 9.2. Thanks to everyone who attended open house in November. Making GIS of office floor plans.

Announcement of next meeting

January 11, 2007 @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Adjourned at 11:46 am

 

 

Comments are closed.