Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – March 13, 2008

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building-9:00 am

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:08am

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Mark Duewellpresent
Tim Haithcoatpresent

State Members

Debbie Briedwellpresent
Colin Duewellpresent
David Finchabsent
Matt Hesserpresent
Bobbie Sue Koellingpresent
Donna Rehagenpresent
Renee Robinsonabsent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tony Spiccipresent
Beth Struempfpresent
Mike Sutherlandexcused
Arnold Williamspresent

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth CookTreasurerpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Mike Duncanabsent
Ray Foxpresent
Dawn Hilderbrandabsent
Pam KelrickVice-chairexcused
Curtis Koonsabsent
Kevin Kuhlmannpresent
Steve MarshChairpresent
Gary Mookexcused
Greg Reszexcused
Ed Siegmundabsent
Kim Swisherabsent
Diane Truepresent

Other Attendees

Aaron Addison, Washington University in St. Louis
Joe Clayton, MSPS
Tim Donze, Surdex
Stan Balzman
Ed Turner, Surdex
John Teale, MSPS

Approval of the Minutes

February minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Ray F, seconded by Jeff S. Approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

Announcements/Executive Activity

No Report

By-laws

No Report

Nominations

No Report

Treasurer’s Report

Balance at MSDIS stands at $14,252.45. Spent $59.98 on renewal of the mgisac.org domain. Anticipating small expense from sponsoring breaks at Regional Workshop in Dexter. Tony S: have we paid the Platinum sponsorship of the MAGIC Symposium? Liz C: will follow up with Diane at MSDIS. Steve M: will also have to approve funds for GIS Day at the Capitol.

State GIO ReportTim Haithcoat

Cadastral standards coming out of Dan Ross’ office. White paper on topic out to Rep. Sutherland and Sen. Lager for comments; now public. Want feedback from all stakeholders. Heavily involved in strategic planning meetings. A lot more buy-in from a lot more people than in the past. First draft out by April 3 in advance of final meeting April 10. Eastern imagery will be final next week. Western imagery in process; buy-up to be final next week. Master purchasing agreement with ESRI will be complete very soon. Arnold W: what about Trimble equipment? Tim H: currently a problem. Speaking to a variety of organizations. Missouri Digital Summit planning progressing; there will be a geospatial component. Discussion of topics to cover. Matt H: beginning work on redistricting. Redistricting itself will not occur until after 2010 census.

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Jeff S: will try to arrange a meeting in Jeff City, location TBA next Tuesday from 10-noon. Going to discuss projects. Tim D: have flight planned the 2 foot part of the Western Imagery for the State. Working on details of buy-up; hopefully will be done tomorrow. Working out final details of Area 4 Eastern Imagery for the State. Discussion. Tim D has offered to host a tour and workshop at Surdex; send email of interest and questions to Mark D. Discussion.

Funding & GrantsPam Kelrick, Tony Spicci, Mark Duewell

Did not receive CAP grant for building data in Bootheel. Barely missed the cut. Looking at other avenues to continue project. Ray F: MN, WV, IA, MD won; will be posted at FGDC. Mark D: state’s coordination role was unclear; dinged for using University students for data collection.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementTim Haithcoat

Spent three days last week working with a design team from ESRI. Validated requirements, functionality, etc. Data bricks are beginning to be brought together for processing at ESRI. Outlined architecture of system. Will walk through project in detail at meeting on the 18th. Project has to be done by June; we are actually ahead of schedule. Jeff S: will this work plug into MERIS? Tim: yes, they will be integrated depending on the type of incident and the credentials of the user. Debbie B: will the code being developed be available to other agencies? Tim: yes.

Local Government GroupMark Allen

No Report

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell/David Drum

Mark D: have had three regional meetings,StL, KC, SE. Finding regional distinctions. Discussion. Seeing a lot of stakeholders who have not come to other venues. Homeland Security Summit held in KC. Highly recommend attending future summits. Summary of summit.

GIS Day at the Capitol

Briefing on plans as they stand. Motion from Kevin K to provide two box lunches per table, seconded by Jeff S. Approved by vote. Motion from Jeff S to provide up to $1000 for popcorn supplies and soda/water, seconded by Bobbie K. Approved by vote. Jeff S: tested the wireless last week and had a really strong signal. Debbie B: we had a problem with the connection dropping about every 20 minutes.

Strategic PlanningEric Foster

No Report

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

Not aware of anything at the State. FLAIR act is now HR 5322.

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

Helping out Project Homeland on hardware and data. Helping with a GIS consortium workshop in Kirksville August 20-21. Mark is MAGIC Metadata Workshop coordinator. Materials are on the MAGIC web site. Missouri Metadata Workshop is March 24 9am-3pm at MU. Course is free and parking tags will be available. Have about a dozen new or updated layers to publish on web site.

Missouri GIS Conference

Conference ChairsTony Spicci, Mark Allen

Working on the Save the Date card. Will arrange a conference chair meeting after the card is mailed.

MAGIC Symposium CommitteeTony Spicci

Preregistration closes March 15; register now if you have not yet. Some of the technical short courses are close to full.

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

No Report

Federal/USGSRay Fox

Agreed to do the QA of the 1ft Cape Girardeau imagery. New Madrid Seismic Zone Conference in Rolla August 12-14.

MACOG

No Report

MORAPDiane True

Working with Texas Parks and Recreation on vegetation mapping. Hope to have a methodology come out of this to easily map vegetation; ultimate goal would to be able to have an annual LULC layer. Joint technical committee meeting on April 4.

MMAJim LaScala

No Report

MSPSJohn Teale

Participating in Cadastral mapping intitiatives. Preparing comments on white paper. Spring Workshop May 8-9, in particular afternoon of the 9th when cadastral standards will be discussed.

NSGICTony Spicci

Just finished mid-year conference last night. Have sent link to NSGIC blog for your review. Mike Mehaffie did a good job summarizing sessions. Met with many officials. RAMONA is now GIS Inventory.

Round Table Discussionall

Arnold W: main line railroad layer being built. Money fromMoDOTdrying up.
Jeff S: public land, counties, etc. updated and at MSDIS. GIS Web Service now available, similar to CARES map room. www.dnr.mo.gov/internetmapviewer
Debbie B: have accepted a position at SEMA starting April 1. Open position will be refilled.
Tim H: there is interest in LIDAR from DNR, NRCS, USGS. Trying to arrange a meeting to coordinate LIDAR efforts.
Jeff S: will look for a 1pm-3pm meeting next Tuesday to discuss LIDAR.
Kevin K: running for State Rep for district 13. www.kevinkuhlmann.com

Announcement of next meeting

April 10, 2008 @ Conservation Auditorium (left side)

Adjournment

Adjourned at 11:45am

 

 

Comments are closed.