Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – October 14, 2010

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building9:00 a.m.

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:03 a.m.

Welcome and Introductions

Ex-Officio Members

Mark Duewellpresent
Tim Haithcoatexcused

State Members

Debbie Briedwellpresent
Colin Duewellpresent
Matt Hesserexcused
Renee Robinsonexcused
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tracy Schlosspresent
Tony SpicciTreasurerexcused
Beth Struempfpresent
Arnold Williamsexcused

Cooperating Members

Aaron Addisonpresent
Mark Allenexcused
Leslie Chamberlinexcused
Elizabeth CookChairpresent (proxy for Leslie Chamberlin)
David DrumSecretarypresent
Ray FoxVice-chairexcused
Ming-Chih Hungpresent
Steve Marshpresent (proxy for Tony Spicci)
Greg Reszabsent
Diane Truepresent
Andy Wagnerpresent
Shannon Whiteexcused

Other Attendees

Stan Balsman, Southeast MO RPC
Joe Clayton, MSPS
Tim Donze, Surdex
Joe Eckmann, ESRI
Matt Gerike, City of Columbia (proxy for Shannon White)
Frank Hutto, Redistricting Office
Melissa Johnson, Cole Co
Kenny Legleiter, Wilson & Co.
Kirk Webb, Redistricting Office (proxy for Matt Hesser)

Approval of Minutes

September 9 minutesavailable on the web site.Motion from Tracy Schloss to approve minutes. Seconded by Colin Duewell. Approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

Missouri GIO ReportTim Haithcoat

Tim not present; no report.

MSDIS ReportMark Duewell

MSDIS Quarterly report available. Still planning Geoportal and Imagery Server. Have been working extensively with ESRI, MU Dep’t of IT, and other state clearinghouses.

Treasurer’s ReportTony Spicci

Report: 1-Detail Income Statement Based on Fund & Deptid.Date: 10-08-2010
Results forTree:BCM_ACCOUNT_L1BU:COLUMFY:2011Mo:Oct.Funds: AllDeptid: C1642022-MGISAC(Fiscal Year to Date)
Account Current Month YTD
BEGINNING BALANCE $0.00 $24,945.26
EXPENSES
721700 Business mtg exp-food catering $0.00 $235.48
738100 Employees dues to prof assoc $0.00 $2,000.00
739800 Contracts/agreements/license $0.00 $89.55
720001-Department operating expense $0.00 $2,325.03
TOTAL OTHER EXPENDITURES $0.00 $2,325.03
TOTAL DIRECT COSTS $0.00 $2,325.03
TOTAL EXPENSES $0.00 $2,325.03
EXCESS OF REVENUES OVER EXPENDITURES $0.00 -$2,325.03
ENDING BALANCE $22,620.23

By-laws

No bylaws submitted for acceptance. Bylaws revisions to allow private company membership still pending.

MembershipTony Spicci

Mark D: subcommittee approved Melissa Johnson, representing Cole County, for membership.Motion from Steve M to approve Melissa Johnson, representing Cole County, for membership. Seconded by Jeff S. Approved by vote.Jeff S. requested that the Membership Subcommittee consider his nomination of the Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors represented by Joe Clayton for membership. Liz C will remind Tony S to put membership subcommittee information on the web site.

Project Updates/Action Items

Report on MSDIS ReviewMark Duewell

New servers, storage, and software licenses identified and pending purchase. More detailed report planned for November.

Update on State/Local Government Data Sharing and Sunshine Law IssuesLiz Cook

Unsure of the status of this topic. Prior expectation was that this issue was going to be resolved in the near future. Tracy S: agreement with SEMA regarding data sharing will probably not happen. Andy W commented about the distinction in the Sunshine Law between officials and staff. Steve M commented about custodians of record. Matt G and Andy W noted how city-level issues differed from other entities. Liz C summarized her understanding of what we are trying to accomplish, i.e. that shared data from entity A cannot be released by entity B even if entity B receives a Sunshine Law request.

Aerial Photography State Contract ReviewLiz Cook

We have a draft proposal to put out an RFP to fly leaf-off imagery. Feedback sought outside the Data Development subcommittee.

MGISAC Web Site UpdateDavid Drum

Reports from web site logs were generated and made available last month. New MGISAC and MMGUG sites exist, but are empty. Drum has obtained a “room” in Adobe Connect from which to conduct on-line training, whether over the existing wiki software or alternatives. Discussion about wiki vs. something else, secretary vs. webmaster roles, and the possibility of paying someone to keep the site up to date. Committee members invited to provide feedback of any topic regarding the web site. Drum will schedule an on-line session to review the existing site and alternatives, and (along with Marsh) look into the possibility of hiring someone to take care of the site.

Discussion Topics/Presentations

Missouri GIS Conference 2011 Sessions/Topics Roundtable DiscussionSteve Marsh

The conference is in four months.

WorkshopsDavid Drum

Steve M: The most important item right now is for workshops to be set so that they can be publicized. Discussion about workshops. David D: Expect a call, especially if you have taught in the past.

ExhibitsTim Donze

Only have one additional exhibitor at this point, so a reminder email will be going out to past exhibitors. Mark D suggested that Universities with geospatial programs consider exhibiting.

PostersMing Hung

Planning flyer for call for posters. Jeff S would like to coordinate program and posters call for submissions.

SocialDiane True

Need to get with Jamie regarding menus.

AwardsMark Duewell

Suggested using same awards company as was used by MAGIC. Informally approved.

ProgramJeff Schloss

Ignite Sessions

An Ignite Session is a series of very short, timed-slide presentations. Jeff is concerned that this would sap the regular session schedule. Discussion about obligating and/or asking session presenters to also participate in the Ignite session. Discussion about what Ignite sessions really are and how they differ from regular, technical sessions. Decision postponed until the schedule is better known.

Keynote

Several names being forwarded, would like to find more Missouri people to contact.

Tracks

Around-the-room suggestions. Please email ideas to Jeff Schloss.

Sessions

ESRI Technical Sessions,LiDARand NHD, DNR, MSDIS, Census, lots of other possibilities mentioned.

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox

Jeff S: minutes of prior subcommittee meeting will be posted on the Data Development web page. October meeting was cancelled.

Funding & GrantsMark Duewell

The 2010 FGDC CAP grant has been released. USGS has had another reorganization; this one rather significant. Ray Fox may be harder to reach for a while.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementDebbie Briedwell

First draft of map books for nine counties in the bootheel. Once draft is approved, entire state will begin.GeoPDFsandMXDswill be available. RFP for state homeland security regions data inventory and assessment, and QA/QC pending.

Local Government GroupMark Allen

No report

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell

West central geospatial regional workshop on November 10. Thanks go out to Mark Allen, Leslie Chamberlin, and Jason Warzinik. Workshop agenda will be done tomorrow; registration may be open as early as tomorrow. Tri-Lakes area will probably host the next regional workshop. Request for up to $50 for money toward breaks.Motion from Steve Marsh, seconded by Tracy Schloss, to provide up to $50 toward breaks. Approved by vote.

Policy & LegislationJoe Clayton

Nothing happening; 19 days till the next election. Will have at least 60 new legislators.

Strategic PlanningShannon White/Jeff Schloss

No report

Missouri GIS ConferenceTony Spicci, Steve Marsh

Previously covered

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

No report

MAGIC ConsortiumTony Spicci

Consortium retreat the first weekend in November.

NSGICTim Haithcoat

No report

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

NRCSLiz Cook

No report

USGSRay Fox

No report

Missouri Association of Councils of Government

No report

Missouri Resource Assessment PartnershipDiane True

Won a Governor’s award for [x]. DNR and Civil Air Patrol also involved in that award.

Missouri Mappers AssociationMelissa Johnson

Mark D: another big discussion on whether they wanted to change their conference location. Will probably continue to be at Port Arrowhead. They are also dealing with web site issues.

Missouri Society of Professional SurveyorsJoe Clayton

Annual conference was last week.

Round Table Discussionall

David D:
Mark D:LiDARcooperative effort with Washington University moving forward. Very pressed for time. An enormous amount of metadata to process; moving forward getting into Geospatial One Stop.
Kirk W: mock redistricting held on September 28. Overall, went well.
Tracy S: flu shot site will be up soon.
Debbie B: nationwide earthquake exercise coming up next spring. Providing a lot of data layers. GIS has been received very well at the national level.
Melissa J: playing around with the new version of the Flex viewer.
Shannon W via Matt G: broadband summit is October 26-7. Broadband map moving forward.
Tim D: Missouri NAIP has been produced and delivered to the APFO.
Andy W: USGS and Maryland Heights have begun receiving imagery for QA/QC. Already talking about the next round of imagery in 2012. People would really like to seeLiDARon the state contract.
Kenny L: info aboutLiDARproject.
Steve M: more on earthquake exercise. There have been a lot of small earthquakes in the New Madrid area of late.
Liz C: have a lot of wetlands surveys to review.
Joe E: have a great turnout for theArcGIS10 sessions in Missouri.

Announcement of next meeting

November 18@ USDA Training Room, Parkade Center Suite 232, 601 Business Loop 70 West, Columbia, MO

Adjournment

Adjourned at 11:43 a.m.

Comments are closed.