Minutes for March 13, 2013
Date: March 14, 2012
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:00 a.m.
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:07 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions
|Missouri Spatial Data Information Service||Mark Duewell—present|
|USGS||Ray Fox—present via teleconference|
|OA ITSD GIS||Paul Wright—present||State|
|SEMA||Debbie Briedwell, Vice-chair—excused|
|OA ITSD Economic Development||Colin Duewell—present|
|OA Budget and Planning||Matt Hesser—present|
|OA-ITSD Natural Resources||Jeff Schloss—present|
|OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services||Tracy Schloss—present|
|Department of Conservation||Tony Spicci—present|
|OA-ITSD Revenue||Beth Struempf—present via teleconference||Cooperating|
|Washington University in St. Louis||Aaron Addison—excused|
|SEMO RPC||Stan Balsman—present via teleconference|
|Great River Associates||Josie Bock—present via teleconference|
|Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors||Joe Clayton—present|
|USDA-NRCS||Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer and Past Chair—present|
|MOREnet||David Drum, Secretary—present (proxy for Shannon White)|
|City of Columbia||Matt Gerike—excused|
|Camden County||Jennifer Gordon—present|
|Northwest Missouri State University||Ming-Chih Hung—excused|
|Cole County||Melissa Johnson—present (proxy for Jason Warzinik and Matt Gerike)|
|MARC||Steve Marsh, Chair—present|
|Jackson County||Amber Reynolds—present|
|City of Jefferson||Greg Resz—absent|
|Sanborn Mapping||Kenny Legleiter—present|
|MoRAP||Diane True—present via teleconference|
|City of Maryland Heights||Andy Wagner—excused|
|Boone County||Jason Warzinik—excused|
|MU Extension/Department of Geography||Shannon White—excused||Other Attendees|
|OGI||Alexis Giesker (proxy for Debbie Briedwell)|
|Fugro EarthData||Keith Owens|
3. Approval of Minutes
January minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Tracy Schloss, seconded by Tim Donze, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright
- Aerial Imagery/LiDAR RFP – The RFP has gone out and a pre-bid meeting is set for March 19th in Jefferson City.
- Collaboration – A meeting is set for March 19 with consolidated and non-consolidated GIS representatives to discuss collaboration via a state agency committee. A draft plan was developed and will be one of the first items discussed at the meeting.
- Strategic Plan – ITSD has developed a strategic planning format for the various areas under the CIO. OGI completed a draft plan and forwarded to the CIO in late February. The plan contained projects currently underway as well as projects for future planning. The plan covers fiscal years 2014-2016.
- Various projects – OGI is involved in a number of projects including Google projects for Public Safety, Labor and Natural Resources; WebEOC for SEMA; Real Estate DB redesign for OA Facilities Management; creation of online maps for end-user support, State Data Center and the CIO.
Question from Reynolds about the state data centers map. Wright explained that there is a desire for a monitoring visualization tool to show server location and status. Discussion about the storage and maintenance of GIS data under the new Socrata system. Cook pointed out that there needs to be open and clear communication between MSDIS and the Socrata project, so there is no duplication of work. Reynolds expanded that sentiment and asked that there be no duplication of mission. Wright explained:
- Socrata is being used by several states and the federal government to provide a “portal” to publicly available data.
- This is a project under the ITSD Web team and not a GIS initiative even though MSDIS is one source of data.
- The portal would not require a duplication of data but would provide links or paths to the data.
- Meeting with Tim Haithcoat tomorrow (Friday) to discuss MSDIS and Socrata linkage.
4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell
- GeoPortal: Efforts continue to improve the Portal's search capabilities. We feel great progress has been made in this respect but welcome additional comments from users. Remember – gradually the old “State” folder will be depopulated as files move into the Portal. This will eventually remove duplications and wasted storage space. I expect Louisa will begin in early April to reach those files we've not had opportunity to publish previously or had issues (usually FGDC compliance issues).
- Virtualization of the MSDIS-Web servers:
The virtualization of these servers will enhance MSDIS' failover capability, allow for additional future storage expansion and result in a great many other practical improvements in our services. The first server is scheduled to move over March 12th after 6PM. Update: Migration to VM did not go well and has been reverted to the physical servers; situation being researched by MU Department of IT.
- Broadband “Structures” Project:
Tim and Mark attended the Broadband Structures roll-out of the project sub-contract at the MACOG Directors and Planners meeting March 7th in Jefferson City. Tim spoke on the contract's various aspects and asked for comments from the RPCs. A number of questions came from the audience on project deliverables — especially as regards the community anchor point attribute collection, the “match” required, and dates. Training and database visits will begin at a number of RPCs whose points and footprints are ready for review — when the signatures are in place on the sub-contracts.
- MSDIS staff members presented — or taught workshops – at the recent 2013 MOGIS Conference in Chesterfield.
- Sadly, we've had one of MSDIS' longest serving staff members move on to new pastures. Wenbo Song, PhD — our Imagery Specialist has taken a position at the St. Louis/Lambert Airport. He'll be sorely missed – but our own Jason Hinsen (HinsenJ@missouri.edu — (573)882-2149 ) has stepped up and will be taking on many of Wenbo's projects and interests…
- Reminder – MOLiDAR — has been launched. Public comments are always welcome. The service is available in both LAS: (http://www.msdis.missouri.edu/data/lidar/download/index.html) and DEM form:
East — West Gateway 6” imagery is now available as a service here: http://moimagery.missouri.edu/arcgis/rest/services/LGov/EWGateway_6inch/ImageServer.
4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook
|Expense||Travel expenses for Chris Dunn to Spatial Law Workshop||$395.80|
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
Kenny Legleiter is now the representative for Sanborn.
4.5 By-laws — Steve Marsh
Nothing submitted for consideration.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 2013 Missouri GIS Conference Review — Conference Committee Chairs
Philip Marley, Spence Lynch, and Joel Sartwell, “Using GIS to Track Black Bears in Missouri”, Missouri Department of Conservation.
Huajuan Chen and Zhenhua Qian, “Geographical Accessibility of Senior Centers in New York City”, Washington University in St. Louis.
Daniel Hyde, “Detecting Unregistered Buildings Using Remote Sensing”, Northwest Missouri State University.
William Platt and Ming Hung, “The Change of Land Cover Composition in Urban Area from 1972-1999”, Northwest Missouri State University.
Rebecca Gernes, “Offender Reentry & Mental Health in St. Louis”, Washington University in St. Louis.
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Ray Fox
6.2 Homeland Security — Debbie Briedwell
6.3 Local Government — Matt Gerike, Melissa Johnson, Jason Warzinik
6.4 Outreach and Education — Mark Duewell, Shannon White
Duewell: Southeast regional workshop is changing substantially. Now scheduled for September with a focus on education rather than local government. MMA is moving their conference to Tan-Tar-A at the end of July. Regional workshop in west Missouri to be formulated beginning at the end of March.
6.5 Policy and Legislation — Joe Clayton
SB 6 dealing with broadband and smart grid access to utility poles. Not moving very fast. SB 24 is through second reading in House, gives planning and zoning authority to third- and fourth-class counties. HB 651 move Survey from DNR to Agriculture. HB 652 to increase education requirement for land surveyors from 30 credit hours to a four-year degree. Spicci: FLAIR legislation is back at the Federal level. Lots of noise about drone technology and precise geolocation data.
6.6 Strategic Planning — Shannon White
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Amber Reynolds
2014 MAGIC Symposium plans shaping up nicely. Consortium has selected the Senior Executive Seminar, Emergency Management seminar, E911 seminar, and NSGIC events to host or support.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Paul Wright
- NSGIC affiliation with AASHTO-GIS-T. – NSGIC is working with The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), which sponsors the annual GIS for Transportation Symposium (GIS-T). NSGIC has agreed to advertise their conference to our members and they would like to put the NSGIC Logo on their Web Page located at http://www.gis-t.org/index.php. Since they refer to other organizations as ‘Partners’ we must ask for a vote of the NSGIC State Members to form this affiliation under provisions of our Bylaws. Voted “Yes”.
- NASCIO Releases Federal Priorities – The 2013 Federal Advocacy Priorities are now available at:
- Licensing GIS Professionals – The issue of licensing for GIS Professionals was being discussed in a few states. NSGIC has a position paper on this issue and some speaking points were developed that can used (attached). It appears that something has caused the surveying community to make a renewed push on this issue.
Spicci: a lot of things are coming together now: Transportation for the Nation, FirstNet, parcels, 911, broadband. Addresses have emerged as a critical effort. Don’t know what to expect due to uncertainty at the Federal level. NSGIC conference in Kansas City this fall. Please attend this great event.
8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
Currently, Missouri is on the third level of priority for acquisition in 2013. Working on a small CIR compliance project.
8.2 USGS — Ray Fox
Landsat 8 satellite was successfully launched. LiDAR data download experience from Earth Explorer on Observer much improved. Duewell: once again sending data to data.gov.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
MMA conference July 23-26 at Tan-Tar-A.
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
9. Round table Discussion
Gieseker: location of department uncertain due to political wrangling.
Spicci: just hired a new full-time GIS specialist.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, April 11, 2013, 9:00 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:06 a.m.
One thought on “Minutes for March 13, 2013”
8.2 Earth Explorer on Observer
Comments are closed.