Date: July 9, 2015
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:30 a.m.
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:40 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions
|Missouri Spatial Data Information Service||Mark Duewell—present|
|OA ITSD GIS||Paul Wright—telephone||State|
|SEMA||Debbie Briedwell, Past-Chair—excused|
|OA ITSD Economic Development||Colin Duewell—present|
|OA Budget and Planning||Matt Hesser—present|
|Missouri National Guard||Wiley Howell—present|
|OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services||Tracy Schloss—absent|
|Department of Conservation||Tony Spicci, Chair—present (proxy for Donze)|
|OA-ITSD Revenue||Beth Struempf—telephone|
|Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources||Michael Weller—telephone||Cooperating|
|Washington University in St. Louis||Aaron Addison—excused|
|Sanborn Mapping||Brad Arshat—telephone|
|SEMO RPC||Stan Balsman—telephone|
|USDA-NRCS||Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer—present (proxy for Gawedzinski)|
|MOREnet||David Drum, Secretary—present|
|US ACE St. Louis||Michael Gawedzinski—excused|
|City of Columbia||Matt Gerike—excused|
|Camden County||Jennifer Gordon—telephone|
|Woolpert, Inc.||Rick Hammond—telephone|
|Northwest Missouri State University||Ming-Chih Hung—excused|
|Cole County||Melissa Johnson, Chair-Elect—present (proxy for Gerike)|
|City of Lee's Summit||Steve Marsh—absent|
|City of Jefferson||Greg Resz—telephone|
|City of Maryland Heights||Andy Wagner—absent|
|Boone County||Jason Warzinik—excused|
|MU Extension||Shannon White—absent||Other Attendees|
|Pioneer Trails RPC||Yunnan Chen|
|SEMA||Alexis Gieseker (proxy for Debbie Briedwell)|
|Boone County||Heather Schafer (proxy for Warzinik)|
|Custom Meeting Planners||Jamie Schieber (telephone)|
|Quantum Spatial||Bill Walker|
3. Approval of Minutes
June minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Cook, seconded by Carter, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright
- Imagery We have requested from Quantum an online viewer for the imagery in order to more easily review it. No word on that progress as of today (7/7).
There are no updates on the plans for flying the eastern section of the state. Hope to have an update on this by next month.
- Data Quality OGI had a meeting with Tim Robyn and the state data center, security and app dev management to discuss overall data quality. OGI has been running into data quality issues of late in various projects. The meeting was to discuss these and other related issues and determine a course of action.
Tim requested that information relating to the creation of a data quality position be developed. This should be completed in a couple of weeks.
- Biofuel Infrastructure Project (BIP) From Office of Administration-General Services and Department of Agriculture, they are interested in a map to help determine where there are E-85 capable vehicles in the state fleet versus where E-85 public fueling sites are located. The goal is to determine where new infrastructure would be beneficial and would help Missouri make the case to the USDA for funding.
A meeting was scheduled for 7/2/15 to discuss this request. ITSD-GIS requested the current data for review prior to the meeting. Cindy Dixon, OA-GS, provided that data on 6/30/15. ITSD-GIS used that data to create a draft map of vehicle locations and E85 fueling sites. This map was passed along, on 6/30/15, to the meeting attendees as a starting point for discussing specific needs.
The draft map that ITSD-GIS provided just needs a few adjustments based on the meeting conversation. A new draft map was completed 7/2/15.
4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell
- MSDISWEB-TC-S Server update: The backup web server (the new MSDISWeb-TC-S, the “s” designation is for secondary) is still experiencing issues. We solve one problem, test it online, and discover another. The FTP issue is fixed, but we are researching a new problem with the geoprocessing tool for the clip & download on the GeoPortal. Testing will continue until it passes all tests.
- MSDISIMAGERY servers update: The current IMAGERY services are on the MSDISImagery-NN and MSDISIMAGERY-TC servers. The new virtual servers IMAGERY-TC-P and IMAGERY-TC-S have been spun up and tested internally. They will be tested externally sometime this week – watch the MSDIS-News list server and email for announcements regarding this event. At this time, we do not think the links will change or that users will need to make any changes to their service connections.
- Jason Hinsen reports that he the updates to the MOLiDAR tool are built into the new virtual imagery servers (see #2 above) – as soon as they go online the updates should be available to all. Martin Wills will begin building a web page for access to the county-wide LiDAR datasets that Liz Cook has created. This user interface will function similarly to the user clickable county map for the current 2’ and NAIP imagery.
Had a server issue after Windows updates. Permissions are changing on a folder affecting ArcGIS Server. Has caused issues on imagery. Apologies for the inconvenience, we are getting better at watching for it.
4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook
Updated version of the two-year budget was redistributed after the last meeting. White has asked to proceed with the floor map.
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
All members whose terms were expiring on June 30, 2015 should have received letters renewing their term for another two years. Question from M. Duewell about old issues with reaching quorum and council size. Spicci replied that meeting quorum has not been an issue and that attendance issues have generally not been a problem. Anyone interested in joining the council should show up. Discussion about finding a replacement representative for the Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors.
4.5 By-laws — Joe Carter
Carter is the new committee chair. M. Duewell raised the issue of write-in candidates in elections, which is not covered by the by-laws.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 2017 Missouri GIS Conference Site Selection Contract — Tony Spicci
Spicci requested a motion to host a conference in 2017. Motion from C. Duewell, seconded by Johnson, for the Council to hold a conference in 2017. Motion passed by vote, Cook abstained. Spicci raised the topic of which month(s) in 2017 to seek available conference hotels. M. Duewell voiced concern about the recent trend of winter weather. Discussion of pros/cons of months and locations. Agreement to stick with seeking facilities in the Central Missouri region (Columbia/Jefferson City and Lake of the Ozarks). Motion from Johnson to approve the contract with Custom Meeting Planners, seconded by Drum. Approved by vote. Schieber to send contract to Haithcoat; Spicci to ask Haithcoat to sign.
5.2 Geospatial Data Act — Tony Spicci
Review of legislation and suggestion of sending letters of support to Missouri’s senators. Motion from C. Duewell,
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Liz Cook
Broad Agency Announcement of LiDAR funding. July 17 is the release date for information, including a web presentation, on submitting a proposal. Proposals are due August 21st. In Missouri we know we have three co-funders but do not have dollar amounts fixed.
6.2 NG911 Addressing — Steve Marsh
6.3 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
Survey results still pending.
6.4 Education — Shannon White
Cook: I know that Shannon is beginning to work on acquiring data layers for the floor map. Carter mentioned a neighbor who has received a perfect score on the ACT and listed GIS as one of his interests. Council will send a letter of congratulations.
6.5 Outreach — Colin Duewell, Tim Donze
Southeast regional workshop registration open but not publicized just yet. September 16 8:00-3:00 in Cape Girardeau. South Central workshop is stalled. Discussion
6.6 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
Schafer: Warzinik is going to be working on the conference display. !!! M. Duewell: can you remind him to begin the process of ordering the new conference phone?
6.7 Policy and Legislation — Aaron Addison
6.8 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike
6.9 Missouri GIS Conference —
Spicci: is anyone interested in chairing? My goal is to have that filled by the end of next month. M. Duewell: it was fun but a lot of work.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh
Silch: clearinghouse coming up August 16 – 18 in Bentonville, Arkansas.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci
- NGAC is accepting nominations through July 17. Spicci and Warzinik are members. Terms are three years.
- Geospatial Data Act is moving forward.
- The National Address Database Summit report is now available. US DOT is surveying state and local governments for address database availability.
- GAO report forthcoming.
- NSGIC Geospatial assessment in process.
- NSGIC Annual coming up in Kansas City. Great national conference in our backyard. There will be (actual) fireworks.
8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
Related comments made in hearing testimony yesterday by USDA chief.
8.2 USGS — Shelley Silch
Held hydrography workshop yesterday in Jefferson City. Workshop on how to do BAA proposal submissions soon.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
Conference July 28 – 31. Mapping labs on Wednesday. missourimappers.org
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors —
9. Round table Discussion
Weller: special thanks to Liz and Tim for presenting to DNR in August.
Chen: leaving the RPC to move to Germany for graduate school.
Howell: Moving from 10.1 to 10.3 soon; if anyone has any experience with that switch please share your experiences.
Eckmann: Esri has restructured account management through verticals. I am representing State government.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, August 13, 2015, 9:30 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:19 a.m.