Minutes for June 9, 2016

Date: June 9, 2016
Location: Department of Conservation Columbia Regional Office/Research Center, Columbia, MO
Time: 9:30 a.m.
Agenda
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:36 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewell—present
USGS Shelly Silch—present
OA ITSD GIS Tracy Schloss—telephone
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell, Past-Chair—telephone
MoDOT Joe Carter—present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—telephone
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—telephone
Missouri National Guard Wiley Howell—present
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services vacant—
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci, Chair—present (proxy for Marsh)
OA-ITSD Revenue vacant—
Missouri Dep't of Natural Resources Michael Weller—telephone
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—excused
Sanborn Mapping Brad Arshat—telephone
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—present
USDA-NRCS Marty Comstock—present
Surdex Tim Donze—present
MOREnet David Drum, Secretary—present
US ACE St. Louis Michael Gawedzinski—absent
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—present
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—telephone
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—excused
Cole County Melissa Johnson, Chair-Elect—present (proxy for Warzinik)
City of Lee's Summit Steve Marsh—excused
Woolpert, Inc. Kent Park—telephone
City of Jefferson Buster Schrage—telephone
MoRAP Diane True—present
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—telephone
Boone County Jason Warzinik, Treasurer—excused
MU Extension Shannon White—present
Other Attendees
Census Bureau Craig Best (telephone)
MSPS Jon Cole
Law Office of C. Dunn Chris Dunn (telephone)
Esri Joe Eckmann
St. Louis County Melisa McLean (telephone)
OGI Arnold Williams
Washington University in St. Louis Bill Winston (telephone) (proxy for Addison)

3. Approval of Minutes
May minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Johnson, seconded by Donze, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Tracy Schloss

  • Actively working to fill four vacancies. Some in interview, some just posted.
  • Sent out email requesting volunteers to help QA/QC imagery. Have five or six volunteers. Discussion about how to rephrase the time commitment involved, as each county should take only 20-24 hours actual effort.

4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell

  1. MSDISWEB/Imagery Virtual Servers update – DOIT has set a new schedule for the planned target date for the relocation of the MSDIS MST (Rolla) servers to UMKC – July 11th, 2016. There is still every intention of making the move of the BACKUP servers to UMKC as transparent to our customers as is possible. We will notify you all ASAP if we think users will be impacted.
  2. A successful test of the backup MSDISWeb MST server was conducted June 1st.
  3. Geoportal – Clip & Download – The number of files available in the Portal C&D has dipped slightly by two datasets to 2,860 – this after the removal of some dated MODNR files.
  4. Imagery – Drives are being returned and a final LiDAR “Catch-up” drive is being sent to Wash U. that should bring LiDAR FTP up-to-date. This will enable us to finally also make the MOLIDAR Clip & Download application current – since it utilizes the Wash U. FTP as its source files. Marty Comstock (USDA/NRCS) has graciously provided some updated status maps – the latest map is up on MSDIS. The map reflects only data actually available at MSDIS/Wash U. for download.
  5. MSDIS will meet with Esri (Joe Eckmann) June 8th. On the agenda are Web AppBuilder, ArcGIS Online and Open Data (and a short tour of the GRC offices in Mizzou North).
  6. MSDIS will be significantly involved in presenting the ISO19115-1 Workshop in St. Charles, MO on June 15th. The workshop is sponsored by the MGISAC and MOMAPPERS. Current enrollment is 22. There is some indication that number may yet increase.

4.3 Treasurer's report — Jason Warzinik

Previous balance   $33,730.02
Income Boone County-Purchase Old Display $150.00
Expense Lowe’s/Shannon-Giant Mo Map storage supplies $138.60
Ending balance   $33,741.42

Pending: Flowers for Madelyn Weller – Reimbursement for Jason Warzinik will be processed in June – $67.98
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
4.4.1 Renomination of existing members with expired terms
Letters have been sent on to the CIO's office per Schloss.
4.4.2 New member
Cenovich not in attendance. Wilson & Co. represented by Eric Cenovich tabled until next month.
4.5 By-laws — Joe Carter
Discussion about whether elections can take place by acclaimation as the by-laws specify elections by ballot. Discussion. Carter noted that Robert's Rules of Order allow for “custom”. Annual officer elections and a vacant officer position refill election have previously occurred by acclaimation in 2012 according to Drum. Accepted as “custom” by those present.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 Elections — Tony Spicci
Officers elected by acclaimation. Warzinik incoming Chair-elect. Donze incoming Treasurer. Drum continues as Secretary. Johnson becomes Chair and Spicci becomes Past-chair.
6. Committee Reports
6.0 Service Recognition — Tim Donze
No report
6.1 Data Development — Jason Warzinik
Working to formalize our committee's efforts using the idea of themes: 1) Imagery 2) LiDAR, and 3) NG-911/Addressing and identify a leader (or two) for each our committee. Buster Schrage has offered to lead the NG-911/Addressing and we are working to finalize the others.
Imagery: Eastern Imagery QAQC is starting – if interested in volunteering, contact Arnold or Tracy. NAIP 0.6m resolution 4-band acquisition window opened early this past Monday. As of Wednesday AM, no imagery has been flown in MO yet.
LiDAR: Marty did an inventory of the LiDAR in MO and its availability to download from MSDIS as LAS files or mosaics. We will do our best to keep everyone updated with the gap filling progress and work being done to improve the data sharing process.
NG-911/Addressing (Buster): Information gathering continues. Buster Schrage is working on getting connections to provide the council updates. Debbie B helped with 911 and FirstNet contacts; for 911 it is Linda Frazier and for FirstNet it is Bob Bloomberg; both from Missouri Department of Public Safety. Buster will be attended FirstNet's MO State Interoperability Executive Committee meeting coming up on June 15, 2016 in Jefferson City. Jason will be attending the NSGIC NG-911 committee meetings and has started getting the FirstNet weekly updates and sharing them with Buster.

Schloss: Esri contract renewal remains in progress. Imagery contract vendors (Surdex and Woolpert) terms for existing work have been extended. State Purchasing is rewriting language in the new imagery contract. Williams mentioned a variety of newly completed imagery he's dropping off with MSDIS. Discussion about getting additional volunteers for the QA/QC effort.
6.2 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
Met 6/1 and discussed the state of the 2014 survey and whether to send out another survey. Meeting again on 7/13.
6.3 Education — Shannon White
GeoTech camp is focused on drones. First time we've ever had more than 10 kids. Commuter slots still open. FAA has loosened policies regarding educational use. Meeting with the outgoing president of the State (Linn) Technical College to discuss geospatial technologies. BioBlitzes going on; well over 300 people have participated. Discussion about using UAVs in agriculture.
6.4 Outreach — Tim Donze and Mark Duewell
ISO 19115 Metadata standard workshop. June 15, St. Charles Government Building, 8:$1–$2:00. Free. Sponsored by MGISAC and MMA.
6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
Working with OA IT regarding ongoing issues with being locked out of the WordPress Admin by their new cyber security/network firewall settings. This has hampered timely updates to the website.
6.6 Policy and Legislation — Aaron Addison
HB 1956: hearing not scheduled, bill not on a house calendar.
6.7 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike
No report
6.8 Missouri GIS Conference — Steve Marsh and Melissa Johnson
No meetings, no report. Expecting to get into action soon.
6.9 Emergency Preparedness — Debbie Briedwell
No report
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh
Spicci: Discussion about 2018 Symposium location. New officers take office on July 1.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci

  • Bill Burgess is retiring soon. NSGIC has made an offer to an executive director.
  • Discussion about the relationship between addresses and NG911. Expect this to be the priority next year.
  • NGAC meeting next week. Partial summit on Friday (Warzinik attending).

8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Marty Comstock
GIS specialist position has not yet been advertised but is in the pipeline. Hope to fill it this year. Contract to acquire additional LiDAR is progressing well. One county (Moniteau) of pilot data has been submitted for review. QC2 data in the southeast will be processed first. County mosaics will be finished with the help of an office volunteer.
8.2 USGS — Shelley Silch
The Dewberry Report on the USGS Hydrography Requirements and Benefits Study was recently released. The Executive Summary is available and is 19 pages long. The final report is over 2,000 pages. Dewberry will have both posted to their website. The USGS is currently working on a website to also release these reports along with how this will affect the National Hydrography Dataset.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
Pilot program with Missouri DNR dam safety to update the national inventory. Lakes data was a by-product. Working on that by county.
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
Missouri Mappers Association conference coming up.
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Jon Cole
Nothing happened in the legislative session that affected survey.
9. Round table Discussion
Duewell: this is my final meeting with the MGISAC. MSDIS and University budgetary issues. I'll be around.
Carter: Legislature wants MoDOT's building in the Capitol complex, so I'll be moving offices. Have posted a couple positions. GIS-T (transportation) state survey has just come out. Will share a link on the mailing list.
White: Is anyone going to the Esri UC? Various replies.
Spicci: Have filled open position with an internal candidate.
Eckmann: Carter was featured in an article on governing.com.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, July 14, 2016, 9:30 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:22 a.m.

Comments are closed.