Minutes for March 10, 2022

Minutes for March 10, 2022

  1. Call to Order – Chair

The meeting was called to order at 10:36am, MDC Credit Union – Jefferson City (also by Zoom).

  • Welcome and Introductions / Roll Call / Proxies – Secretary

26 Voting Members present, and at least 8 non-members in attendance. There were enough voting member attendees to have a quorum (17+).

Ex-Officio Members

Thomas Vought – MSDIS – p

Tony Spicci – NSGIC Liaison – p

Tracy Schloss – OA ITSD GIS – p

David Nail – USGS – p

State Members

Jerry Prewett – DNR – p

VACANT – Economic Development – a

Tim Bixler – MDC – p

Wiley Howell – MOARNG – proxy by Nathan Mattox – p

Colin Duewell – MoDOT – p

Matt Hesser – OA Planning – a

Brandon Wolfe – SEMA – a

Cooperating Members

Jason Warzinik – Boone County FPD – p

Nathan Mattox – Boone County – p

Dan Rose – City of Columbia – a

Buster Schrage – City of Jefferson – p

Stacey Roberts – KC MO Water – p

Steve Marsh – City of Lee’s Summit – p

Melissa Johnson – Cole County, MO – p

Richard Perkins – CPS – p

Jennifer Bowden – Mid-MO RPC – p

Brian Maydwell – MO 911 – (proxy by Shawn Penman) – p

Chris Barnett – MU Extension/CARES – p

Ming-Chih Hung – NW Missouri State – p

Brad Arshat – Sanborn – p

Indi Braden – MMRPC – a

Jeremy Tanz – SEMO RPC – a

Jack King – Surdex – p

Michael Gawedzinski – USACE – p

Katie Philbrick – NRCS – p

Mollie Webb – Washington University – p

Derek Smith – Wilson & Co – p

Kent Park – Woolpert – p

Other Attendees (non-voting)

Misty Perry – Mo Dep. Of Ag

Kayla Flamm – MO Botanical Garden

Joe Eckman – ESRI

Craig Best – US Census

Sara McDale – National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency/OA

Amanda Bybee – MO Mappers Association

Rob Ryan – St. Louis Board of Elections

Travis Thomas – MSPS

  • Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes – Chair

Motion to approve February 2022 Meeting Minutes by Melissa Johnson, Seconded by Buster Schrage.  Motion carries by vote.

  • MGISAC Administration
  • OGI Report – Tracy Schloss

Tracy addressed issue of website updates.  Jason Warzinik responded that this is mainly about the formatting of the January meeting minutes and how WordPress handles special characters from MS Word.

Social Equity Projects Discussion.  The State ITSD/GIS is beginning to get requests from various departments related to social equity based applications and services to vulnerable populations.  This is something that is new to the State office.  Tom Vought said MU was doing some things related and would find value in the Social Equity Solution.  Chris Barnett state they have done projects for vulnerable populations in California, projects related to equity and health, and gender equity issues.  Also said Angela Johnson is a good contact for this discussion.  Tracy said data for this is not as clear cut as data for the physical world.  GIS has always been involved in this, but not particularly the State GIS group.  It makes sense to have conversations around the topic.  Sources of data can be: Tapestry, Living Atlas, ESRI maps for public policy.  People will be asking about data specific to Missouri.  The people asking the questions are the people holding the data.  Has this been spurred by ESRI articles?  Joe Eckman, ESRI, provided links in the chat:

ArcGIS Solution on Social Equity Analysis: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-solutions/local-government/social-equity-analysis-solution-released/

ESRI Maps for Public Policy on Living Atlas: https://livingatlas.arcgis.com/policy/browse/#col=null&hs=0&viz=45e6bb0c0960449cb29031f590af9a59&loc=-93.167,35.01,4

Tim Bixler – MDC has an interest in the social equity subject.  He is seeing people want to know more about their customers.  Who is MDC reaching and who is attending to learn more about them.  Goal is to reach new customers not reached before

Tracy – Mental Health is interested in access to greenspace.  Mental Health as well as Social Equity.  Know where things are, but also where is the underserved population.

Richard Perkins – Recent discussion with a group that seeks to assist CPS in areas that in reduced cost school lunch areas.  Using GIS to define where those locations are

Tracy – Seems like there is interest as far as what we are working on

Tracy – Economic Development GIS position has been filled

  • MSDIS Report – Tom Vought

Tom Vought – Little to report.  Absorbed in new Imager Server.  Some changes in layer organization related to Emergency Imagery layers.  Tom will compile a list of changes before things go live.  Also several new datasets posted this morning.

Treasurer’s Report – Tim Bixler

New Point of contact at MU Geography – Niko Tapia.  Has been able to get NSGIC Representative reimbursed.  Balance is $21,673.82.  MGISAC will have a sponsorship of the MAGIC Conference of $500.  This is a budgeted expenditure.

  • Membership Report – Wiley Howell

No report provided

Motion to extend membership to the Missouri Department of Agriculture from Melissa Johnson.  Seconded by Jerry Prewett.  Motion carries by vote.

By-Laws Report – Colin Duewell

No updates

  • Discussion Topics / Presentations

5.1 State Imagery Project presentation – Tim Bixler, Sanborn Mapping Company

  • Committee Reports

6.1 Data Development – Buster Schrage

A large portion of the Data Development update was covered in the State Imagery Program presentation.  Data Development is contacting outside organizations seeking to market partnership with the Missouri GIS Advisory Council on project like the State Imagery Program.

6.2 Education – Richard Perkins

Thanks to Jason Warzinik and Boone Fire Protection District for the hosted Drone Pilot session attended by CPS.  The Columbia Career Center took their Virtual Sandbox to the Missouri School Board Association’s Student Showcase at the State Capitol.  CPS is trying to add other components, in the realm of GIS, to align educational programs.  Also still looking for potential apprenticeships or internship opportunities for CCC students.

6.3 Legislative – Jennifer Bowden

If you indicated interest in Legislative Subcommittee, more information will be coming out soon. 

Tracy Schloss – There is a cycle to all of this.  Things will move forward or they won’t.

Liaison Reports

7.1 MidAmerica GIS Consortium – Steve Marsh

Conference is at a critical point in registration, determining if the conference will make money or not.  Right now, it is half of what was expected.  It is important for Missouri attendees to support the conference being the host State. 

Tony Spicci – Register and get a hotel room.  There are a ton of good workshops.  Can’t find better training for the money.

Jerry Prewett – Have the Speakers Been announced?

Tony – If you want to present, you will be able to.

Steve – I would like to hear from all of you.  Is there any organizational holdback in terms of sending personnel to the conference?

Tracy Schloss – The State budget allows $250/person/year for training.  It is hard to send people to conferences on that limited amount of funds.

Tom Vought – I have been encouraged by my management to attend for networking purposes.  Not much support for sending others.

Tracy – What are we going to have in the booth

Jennifer Bowden – We will have the MGISAC testimonials that were run on the last conference.

7.2 National States Geographic Information Council – Tony Spicci

Wrapped up NSGIC mid-Year conference in Milwaukie.  NSGIC kept virtual and in person/virtual hybrid.  Format worked fairly well, but was a challenge being in the room, but having to be logged into zoom at the same time.

3DEP program is using available monies to build up program to have full coverage. 

3DHT program continues to move along.  A workplan is being put together.  There are a lot of activities to get past in the initial phases. 

National Address Database continues to be updated.  ESRI creating a storymap of status.  Connection of Broadband initiatives to having uniform and accurate addressing.

Geo-Enabled Elections Workshop is moving to phase 3.  The current leader will be stepping back. They want to grow the group out.  See NSGIC Geo-Enabled Elections website for more details.

Advancement in remote sensing due to an increase in satellites.  Presents a tremendous opportunity in increasing situation awareness due to sheer number of sensors.  There is a shortage of image processing capabilities, especially in front line areas.  More systems need to be put in place to address this.  NAPSG is leading this effort.

Next Gen is moving along but will leave that update to NG911 board representatives.

NSDI (National Spatial Data Inventory) is becoming active again.

Geospatial Maturity Assessment in the midst of generating reports from responses.

8.  Cooperating Agency / Organization Reports (Brief by Exception)

8.1 USGS – David Nail

No Report

8.2 NRCS – Katie Philbrick

Nothing to report

8.3 Missouri Mappers Association – Amanda Bybee

Nothing to report

8.4 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors – Jon Cole

Nothing to report

8.5 Census

Nothing to report

9.  Open Discussion

Rob Ryan – St. Louis Board of Elections – Question to Craig Best, Census.  What is the best way to update Township lines.  Noticed that the current township lines are not accurate to current boundaries.

Craig Best – Submit changes through the Boundary and Annexation Survey process

Rob – Not sure who in St. Louis County is the contact for that with all of the turnover that occurred there recently.

Tracy Schloss – BAS Partnership at the State level.  What is the requirement?  What do we need to submit?

Melissa Johnson – Cole County only submits City Boundary changes

Tracy – We are not able to send what we do have.  Complaints from local governments.  We can’t figure out who is participating in the BAS and who isn’t.  We may have better boundaries than what the Census currently.  State is not sure who is participating in the BAS so we can fill in the gaps that aren’t being filled.

Craig – Will look into something.  After meeting addition: link to BAS status https://mtgis-portal.geo.census.gov/arcgis/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=71fcdd7c62064be18ea98c8127ac9ce4

Melissa – Census GUPS software is not very user friendly.  Could be one reason why a lower than expected representation from local governments.

Tracy – Census should be getting annexations from the State.

Craig – Arkansas and Iowa require the State to sign off on all official annexations.

Craig – Population gets missed when Boundaries are not updated

Tracy – Presentation to the State Tax Commission.  Working with County Collectors, Assessors and Clerks.  Explaining how to participate in these federal programs.

Tracy – State tax districts.  Some people only send in changes, rather than the fully changed boundaries

Joe Eckman – link for Community Maps Program.  Possible place to update boundaries: https://communitymaps.arcgis.com/home

10.  Next Meeting: April 14, 2022 10:30am at the MDC – Columbia, 3500 E. Gans Rd, Columbia (hybrid).

The meeting was adjourned at 12:10pm

Comments are closed.