Minutes for February 10, 2022

Minutes for February 10, 2022


  1. Call to Order – Chair

The meeting was called to order at 10:31am, MDC office – 3500 E Gans. Rd (also by Zoom).

  1. Welcome and Introductions / Roll Call / Proxies – Secretary

Dan Rose stated that there were 28 Voting Members present, and 10 non-members in attendance, and that there were enough voting member attendees to have a quorum (17+).

Ex-Officio Members

Thomas Vought – MSDIS – p

Tony Spicci – NSGIC Liaison – proxy by Jennifer Bowden) – a

Tracy Schloss – OA ITSD GIS – p

David Nail – USGS – p


State Members

Jerry Prewett – DNR – p

VACANT – Economic Development – a

Tim Bixler – MDC – p

Wiley Howell – MOARNG – p

Colin Duewell – MoDOT – p

Matt Hesser – OA Planning – a

Brandon Wolfe – SEMA – a


Cooperating Members

Jason Warzinik – Boone County FPD – p

Nathan Mattox – Boone County – p

Dan Rose – City of Columbia – p

Buster Schrage – City of Jefferson – p

Stacey Roberts – KC MO Water – (proxy by Steve Marsh) – p

Steve Marsh – City of Lee’s Summit – p

Melissa Johnson – Cole County, MO – p

Richard Perkins – CPS – p

Jennifer Bowden – Mid-MO RPC – p

Brian Maydwell – MO 911 – (proxy by Shawn Penman) – p

Chris Barnett – MU Extension/CARES – p

Ming-Chih Hung – NW Missouri State – p

Brad Arshat – Sanborn – p

Indi Braden – MMRPC – p

Jeremy Tanz – SEMO RPC – a

Steve Kasten – Surdex – a

Michael Gawedzinski – USACE – p

Katie Philbrick – NRCS – a

Mollie Webb – Washington University – p

Derek Smith – Wilson & Co – p

Kent Park – Woolpert – a


Other Attendees (non-voting)

Jack King – Surdex

Misty Perry – Mo Dep. Of Ag

Bill Wetzel – Cyclomedia Technology

Kayla Flamm – MO Botanical Garden

Joe Eckman – ESRI

Saralyn Hayes – Mid-America Regional Council (MARC)

Jeffrey Wann, CIO State of MO

Nathan Mitchell –

Craig Best – US Census

Sara McDale – National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency/OA


Amanda Bybee – MO Mappers Association


  1. Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes – Chair

Vote to approve October and November 2021 minutes as amended (members in incorrect categories as members/non-members – vote and second passed

  1. MGISAC Administration


  • OGI Report – Tracy Schloss

Asked a question about the statewide ESRI contract – issues revolving around procurement and concern about the expiration of ESRI quotes. Joe Eckman said quotes are good for 90 days, and should be fine.

State GIS position titles have been approved, unsure of the impact of the position classifications/descriptions/pay ranges.

  • MSDIS Report – Tom Vought

Two new interns coming on board @ MSDIS. New virtual server has been created to take the place of the aging imagery server. Data replication will begin soon.

Re-published many MSDIS administrative boundaries with new (non-year) naming format.

Good numbers across the board for data usages. Discussion about access to data, updates, and accuracies (different versions of municipal boundaries, etc.). Discussion about partnerships, locations of available data; a link was shared in the chat for the ESRI basemap community page: https://communitymaps.arcgis.com/home/

Treasurer’s Report – Tim Bixler

Nothing new to report – $23,321.12 balance

  • Membership Report – Wiley Howell

33 total members (no change) with one vacancy (EcoDevo membership)

By-Laws Report – Colin Duewell

No updates

  1. Discussion Topics / Presentations

5.1 No topics or discussions




  1. Committee Reports

6.1 Data Development – Buster Schrage

The NG911 and 1’-resolution Statewide Imagery programs are on-going; email sent out to MGISAC membership yesterday (02/09) about needing QA/QC for the incoming imagery (southern MO). Training will occur soon for those who sign up, but the timeframe is tight between Sanborn flights, QA/QC, and final responses.

Tim Bixler – a reminder that this data will be housed at MSDIS and will be available to the public. Tracy Schloss reminded the group that the https://www.flymoimagery.com/ website has been updated with the upcoming project.

Shawn Penman – NG911 – draft report was submitted to the committee. The City of St. Louis has not yet committed. The report will be public-facing when it is complete. A dashboard was shared of the NG911 interest: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/2bd44cbdbeb644b5836ba643c27b4e5c

6.2 Education – Richard Perkins

Richard had sent an email out last week about any potential internships. Interested parties can reach out to Richard directly for details, etc. Potentially rolling out a drone-GIS education program at the Career Center.

6.3 Legislative – Jennifer Bowden

Tracy Schloss spoke to a State Bill related to a State Broadband Committee and the Legislative side of the Committee. Jeff Wann, CIO of the State of Missouri spoke to the complexity and need of such a Committee

Discussion about partnerships, grant funding, GIS data sharing requirements.

Dan Rose shared the State of Kansas’ Broadband Committee’s website: https://www.kansascommerce.gov/officeofbroadbanddevelopment

Liaison Reports

7.1 MidAmerica GIS Consortium – Steve Marsh

Jennifer Bowden had attached the list of award nominees to the MGISAC Agenda email earlier this week. The Awards Committee has been instructed to rank the applications by a Google Form; ranking will be due by the end of the month (three different awards).

Chris Barnett asked about guidelines on voting. Steve Marsh said it is up for interpretation to the person voting.

Still in need of registrations, short course descriptions are all available online.

7.2 National States Geographic Information Council – Tony Spicci (absent)

Nothing to report

  1. Cooperating Agency / Organization Reports (Brief by Exception)

8.1 USGS – David Nail

David showed a series of five maps that outlined the current DEM and LiDAR project areas across the state:

  • West-Central MO project – started in 2018/2019, waiting on vendor for delivery; 8,094 sq. mi.; 1m DEMS and LPC
  • FEMA-NRCS project – started in 2020, scheduled bo be finished May 2022, 15,275 sq. mi; complete; data should be available this Summer
  • Northern-SEMO project – 12,741 sq. mi. – acquired in Dec 2021; data won’t be available for ~1.5 years
  • Southwest project – began late Fall 2011, still in acquisition phase; 4,065 sq. mi.
  • Areas that have already been acquired, delivered, and are available on the National Map

8.2 NRCS – Katie Philbrick

Nothing to report

8.3 Missouri Mappers Association – Amanda Bybee

Nothing to report

8.4 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors – Jon Cole

Nothing to report

8.5 Census

Nothing to report

  1. Open Discussion

Tracy Schloss has reserved the auditorium in the State’s Truman Building (Jeff City) on November 15th 2022 for GIS Day presentations/etc. Discussion about getting the Outreach Committee back up and running (need a Chair) to handle this and other sponsored events.

Discussion about the inability to access our MGISAC website;

Log4j-GIS discussion by Wiley, etc. as to what the Army and others is/are doing currently.

Jeremy Tanz: The SEMO group is planning a symposium in Cape Girardeau for this fall.  The outreach committee and MGISAC has helped sponsor the symposium and meal in the past with Missouri Mappers Association.  Would that still be an option? Cost was for food only last time.

Jennifer – discussion about moving future MGISAC meetings up so as to not affect lunch.

  1. Next Meeting: March 10, 2022 10:30am at the MDC Credit Union, 2915 W. Truman Blvd Jefferson City (hybrid).


The meeting was adjourned at 12:13pm

Comments are closed.