Minutes for January 13, 2022

Minutes for January 13, 2022

1. Call to Order – Chair

The meeting was called to order at 10:30am.

2. Welcome and Introductions / Roll Call / Proxies – Secretary

Ex-Officio Members
Thomas Vought – MSDIS – P
Tony Spicci – NSGIC Liaison – P
Tracy Schloss – OA ITSD GIS – P
David Nail – USGS – P

State Members
Wiley Howell – MOARNG – P
Colin Duewell – MODOT- P
Tim Bixler – MDC – P

Cooperating Members
Jason Warzinik – Boone County FPD – P
Nathan Mattox – Boone County – P
Buster Schrage – City of Jefferson – P
Jennifer Bowden – Mid-MO RPC – P
Michael Gawedzinski – USACE – P
Chris Barnett – MU Extension/CARES – P
Ming-Chih Hung – NW Missouri State – P
Derek Smith – Wilson & Co – P
Mollie Webb – Washington University – P
Steve Marsh – City of Lee’s Summit – P
Stacy Roberts – KC MO Water – P
Brian Maydwell – MO 911 – P
Kent Park – Woolpert – P
Melissa Johnson – Cole County – P
Richard Perkins – Columbia Public Schools – P
Jack King (Steve Kasten) – Surdex – P

Other Attendees
Misty Perry
Craig Best
Amanda Bybee
Jeffery Wann
Sara McDale
Rob Ryan
Will Hartnet

3. Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes – Chair

December 2021 meeting minutes approved

4. MGISAC Administration

4.1 OGI Report – Tracy Schloss

4.1.1 Geospatial Maturity Index

Screen share from Tracy Schloss
State C+ Grade
Data sharing issues
Link to Geospatial Maturity Index
Index weighted heavily on availability of data, not as heavily on how data is used
Feedback to NSGIC? Do we agree with the scores?
Question of how do we compare with neighbors?
Data Sharing
Jeff Wann – Some State Department Directors would like to do more statewide studies (specifically mentioned early childhood). Struggling to complete accurate data analysis across the
State, hampering other departments ability to serve citizens.
Tracy – Disparity in where funding goes and does not make it to maintainers. How does funding filter down to maintainers
Jeff Wann – Share with the State government. Doesn’t have to be public
How to separate Sunshine from non-State vs share with the State
Chris Barnett – Missouri shows up well in other layers – Imagery and Elevation
Steve Marsh – In discussion of Kansas data, Kansas has good data because the State helped pay for it. If not standardized, the State paid to bridge the gap. Always partnership.
Missouri never has had a partnership to build the data. Local governments need data and the only option is to build it themselves. Unless law says something about funding going
local, where
is the partnership and coordination? Fragmented effort. Lack of partnership is the root issue. Nothing to do with making money from Google
Tony Spicci – Survey is to define is there a program and how do we implement that program. Is there a partnership? Is there an ongoing effort?
Tracy Schloss – Can the State do more? Have and have not counties? State partnership. $500 not enough money to start
Tim Callahan – How do other states show ROI to taxpayers? If showing return, don’t we copy what they are doing? Do we discuss with legislators?
Tracy Schloss – Regarding other states and funding. There is more revenue. Different model on Cell phone 911 tax in other states.
Shawn Pennman – Missouri 911 services board concluding report of state of GIS for supporting NG911. Rough idea of the cost to get State to the level where it can support NG911.
Tracy Schloss –How do we get support from local levels if we can’t share survey results
Comparative analysis is not going to get us there. We have to define importance.
Steve Marsh – Is the type of study done for NG911 fully visible? What are the costs to do this? In context of 911
Not talking about value across the board
Fragmented Coordination
People need to have a stake or say in how that is used
Seems it was created for one specific purpose to the detriment of making people feel like they want to participate
Tracy Schloss – Hard to package and condense to a page or 2
Tracy Schloss – Immediate question. Do we want to provide feedback on the process (to NSGIC)
Jennifer Bowden – Accurate score and we should target things to help us. Did it identify things that we need?
Tracy Schloss – Would prefer something that talked about ROI
Steve Marsh – Grade is not indicative of ALL areas of the State. This is more of a reflection on the State and Local level working together to bring grade up.
Jeff Wann – Grade would have been very useful for proposed legislation to give MGISAC teeth.
Tracy Schloss – Survey is done every year
Tony Spicci – Done for about 5 or 6 years now
Tracy – Participation from CIO is fairly new for this group. Conversations are a sign of maturing. Could use more examples from a state with a higher grade
Tracy – Survey will be filled and returned tomorrow (January 14,2022)
Close of OGI report

4.2 MSDIS Report – Tom Vought

Consistent data usage numbers
MODOT Transportation update has been provided
2 temporary service interruptions
Maintenance and to address log4j vulnerability
Business as Usual
In process of building new MSDIS Imagery Server
MSDIS in PILOT program for AGOL for Imagery
May be viable long term for imagery hosting
Dept of Geography fiscal officer will be filled soon
Running MSDIS from home for the foreseeable future
Chris Barnett – Is MSDIS involved in the redistricting process in any way
Tom – Not involved in any professional capacity? Been approached by localities for assistance
Chris Barnett – Does anyone else have any information about redistricting?
Tracy Schloss – Jori in OA is self-sufficient. Not gotten much additional information. Can ask for a presentation or an update
Chris Barnett – MSDIS would be logical place for data distribution.
Tracy Schloss – Data in 2010 probably submitted by OGI. Data should get to MSDIS within a short time of being official

4.3 Treasurer’s Report – Tim Bixler

No current balance changes – $23,321.12 balance
One outstanding reimbursement awaiting MU Geography fiscal person to be filled.

4.4 Membership Report – Wiley Howell

Movement of Colin Duewell to MODOT and vacancy at ECONMIC Development
33 Members – Quorum to hold at 17

4.5 By-Laws Report – Colin Duewell

No Report

5. Discussion Topics / Presentations

Discussion of Legislative Committee
Jeff Wann – Would love for this Committee to work with legislators to share model legislation to move the ball forward.
Looking into how other states are moving legislation related to GIS.
Actual laws need to come from legislative branch
Not something the CIO can do, but something that someone from this group can do.
Excellent legislation out in other states including helping localities
Chris Barnett – Motion to create legislative subcommittee
Colin Duewell – By by-laws, Committees are created at the behest of the current Chair
Discussion of conflict of interest for State Employees on committee
Jeff Wann – No conflict with anyone except him, but State Employees should tread lightly. State Employees can provide input and support. Jeff can put proposals for funding to the
Tracy Schloss – Was benefit of having Sara. Ability to engage without conflict of interest.
Jeff Wann – Effort needs to come from legislature, not governor’s office
Tracy Schloss – Learning the best path as we go along
Jeff Wann – The Committee should work together as part of the MGISAC to craft legislation, then engage with legislators to get them to prop
Sara McDale to create report on legislators with an interest in GIS.
Jennifer Bowden – Happ y to create a new committee as long as people are actively wanting to participate in the effort.
Please send your name if you wish to be on this subcommittee
Jason Warzinik – Need person in chairship of the subcommittee so website can be updated.
Tom Vought – Creating a List-Serve for the group
Jeff Wann – Happy to be an Ex-Officio member to help this along.
Jeff Wann – Only have Sara McDale until May.

6. Committee Reports

6.1 Data Development – Buster Schrage

Upcoming State Imagery Flight
Looking for volunteers for QC

Contact Tim Bixler if you want to volunteer to QC the State Imagery
Tom Vought – In summer, we can assign as a class project. If prior, can coordinate with other professors

5 individuals to review PAQ returns
Decide on the area of the State and the vendor chosen
Proposal deadlines extended until Tuesday (January 18)
Buster – Just for this year buy-ups handled between requestor and vendor directly. Next year trying to form more cooperative groups

Tim Bixler – Counties will either be Eastern or Southern this year and data will be available on MSDIS

Jason Warzinik – Steve Lewis is requesting an update of address data points. Trying to add additional partners
KC Metro – Hard to get anyone to respond
Request for contacts or leads
Release number 9 of the Missouri National Address Database
MGISAC – Missouri NAD page
No Questions

6.2 Education – Richard Perkins

Request for presentations for the students
What do Professionals in the field do?
Wanting to peak interest
Participation in more advanced classes drops and not certain why.
Engagement from professionals in the field would be valuable to them.
Jennifer Bowden – Is this in Person?
Richard Perkins – This will be limited to a virtual classroom.

6.3 Outreach – Discussion of Direction

Survey to see what people want from the Outreach Committee
COVID has changed this
Re-Think the Outreach Committee
Educate on other initiatives
Need to disseminate information
Liaison Reports


7.1 MidAmerica GIS Consortium – Steve Marsh

MAGIC conference Arpil 11-13 – In Person
In Missouri, expectation that lots of Missouri people will attend
Registration is open: https://www.magicgis.org/2022-CONFERENCE
Short Courses
Looking for presentations
Awards also open
Nominations close at the end of the month
A few minutes on February agenda for State voting

7.2 National States Geographic Information Council – Tony Spicci

NSGIC Mid-Year Meeting
GIS Maturity Survey (discussed earlier)
Legislatively there are a few things being followed right now
Missouri doesn’t really participate in that
Missing an opportunity
NSGIC – New President elections soon

8. Cooperating Agency / Organization Reports (Brief by Exception)

8.1 USGS – David Nail

4 LiDAR projects in the works
2018 and 2019
Missing some checkpoints
One 2020 Project
Two 2021 Projects

8.2 NRCS – Katie Philbrick

8.3 Missouri Mappers Association – Amanda Bybee

No Report
Data Sharing
Bring anything to Missouri Mappers
Documentation on what we are looking for
Missouri Mappers looking for presentations

8.4 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors – Jon Cole

9. Open Discussion


10. Next Meeting: February 10, 2021

Hopefully in person – Columbia MDC Office

Meeting Adjourned 12:23PM


Comments are closed.