Minutes for December 9, 2021

 

  1. Call to Order – Chair

The meeting was called to order at 10:30am.

  1. Welcome and Introductions / Roll Call / Proxies – Secretary

Dan Rose stated that there were 26 Voting Members present, and14 non-members in attendance, and that there were enough voting member attendees to have a quorum (17+).

Ex-Officio Members

Thomas Vought – MSDIS – p

Tony Spicci – NSGIC Liaison – proxy by Jennifer Bowden) – p

Tracy Schloss – OA ITSD GIS – p

David Nail – USGS – p

State Members

Jerry Prewett – MO Geological Survey – a

Colin Duewell – Economic Development- p

Tim Bixler – MDC – p

Wiley Howell – MOARNG – p

Cassie Twehus – MoDOT – p

Matt Hesser – OA Planning – (Jori Simpson, proxy) -p

Brandon Wolfe – SEMA – a

Cooperating Members

Jason Warzinik – Boone County FPD – p

Nathan Mattox – Boone County – p

Dan Rose – City of Columbia – p

Buster Schrage – City of Jefferson – p

Stacey Roberts – KC MO Water – (proxy by Steve Marsh) – p

Steve Marsh – City of Lee’s Summit – p

Melissa Johnson – Cole County, MO – p

Richard Perkins – CPS – p

Jennifer Bowden – Mid-MO RPC – p

Brian Maydwell – MO 911 – p

Chris Barnett – MU Extension/CARES – p

Ming-Chih Hung – NW Missouri State – (proxy by Jennifer Bowden) – p

Brad Arshat – Sanborn – p

Indi Braden – MMRPC – a

Jeremy Tanz – SEMO RPC – a

Steve Kasten – Surdex – a

Michael Gawedzinski – USACE – a

Katie Philbrick – NRCS – p

Mollie Webb – Washington University – p

Derek Smith – Wilson & Co – p

Kent Park – Woolpert – p

Other Attendees (non-voting)

Misty Perry – Mo Dep. Of Ag

Bill Wetzel – Cyclomedia Technology

Kayla Flamm – MO Botanical Garden

Joe Eckman – ESRI

Saralyn Hayes – Mid-America Regional Council (MARC)

Sherry Massey – Dickson County, KS and KS NG911

Laura Estabrooks –

Jon Cole – MO Society of Professional Surveyors

Ken Nelson – Kansas DASC, KS NG911

Andy Wagner – City of Maryland Heights, MO

Jeffrey Wann, CIO State of MO

Sara McDale – National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency/OA

 

Amanda Bybee – MO Mappers Association

 

Scott Penman – MO 911 Board

  1. Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes – Chair

Vote to approve October and November 2021 minutes as amended (members in incorrect categories as members/non-members – vote and second passed

  1. MGISAC Administration

 

  • OGI Report – Tracy Schloss

Tracy introduced Jeff Wann, CIO for the State of MO; GIS position classifications for State agencies are underway/nearly completed.

  • MSDIS Report – Tom Vought

Spoke at WashU’s GIS Day event; received ‘a ton’ of data updates last month – updates to MoDOT roads/routes/markers, which are normally quarterly updates. The ESRI EA has been updated through 2024. ArcGIS Server licenses were received at the beginning of December, and have been implemented. MSDIS will continue to operate through weather events. Four million hits on imagery in the last month.

Treasurer’s Report – Tim Bixler

Nothing new to report – $23,321.12 balance

  • Membership Report – Wiley Howell

33 total members (no change)

By-Laws Report – Colin Duewell

– Vote to approve highlighted by-laws changes

Discussion, motion to make the changes as emailed out to the membership made and seconded – motion passed

  1. Discussion Topics / Presentations

5.1 NG911 Kansas – Sherry Massey, IT Director, Dickenson Co. KS and KS NG911 Council and Ken Nelson, KS GIO and KS NG911 Council

Tracy Schloss asked: “Where did the Council get their funding?”; Ken Nelson replied: “911 fees, the KS 911 CC retains a portion of the fee for state-level operations”

Scott Penman asked: “Would it be possible to get a copy of this presentation?”;

Nathan Mattox asked: “Is any data collected from the local level and consolidated at the State level available for public download?”; Sherry replied that there is a mechanism in place at DASC (the data portal) for the public to request data; the vast majority of data owners have declined for their data to be available for download – it was not outwardly made public by the Council.

Tracy Schloss asked: “Kansas agencies are able to have access for state business though, aren’t they?; Ken Nelson said that yes, agencies can get the data without approval.

Dan Rose asked: “Can you please also show the group your KS NG911 org chart – showing the fantastic structure of all committees, etc.: https://www.kansas911.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/OrgChart.pdf; Sherry showed it and explained the chart.

Wiley Howell asked: “Could you briefly touch on how your state approaches GIS legislative issues/initiatives? Is this a GIO function, or is there another responsible party to help connect those dots?”; Ken Nelson replied that legislation has primarily been spearheaded by the Chair of the Council (Scott Egbert).

Jennifer Bowden asked: “Was the concern for public sharing geared toward losing revenue from selling the data or did they just not like the idea of everyone being able to see it even if it were scrubbed for personal information?”; Ken Nelson replied: “Yes, some local jurisdictions sell/license their data.  I think others just wanted more control.”

Tim Bixler asked: “Does the state provide funding for the County to purchase the ArcGIS Standard license and pay the cost to contract out the data management?  Do you provide Counties with funding to collect data, whether features or rasters?”; Sherry replied that in Kansas, there are distinct and approved uses as to how the money can be spent (including GIS licensing). There was also an effort to get statewide imagery flown.

Tim asked: “What pixel leaf off imagery did you collect?”; Ken Nelson replied: “Statewide, leaf off, 4-band, 1-ft, with local buy up option.” Hexagon/Surdex were involved.

Tracy Schloss asked: “You obviously have a lot more funding than we do from your 911 fees.  What is the rate for KS?”; Sherry replied: “90 cents with the 2019 legislation. I don’t remember what it was before for certain. 53 cents sticks in my head with a cap”; Tracy: “Annual for every cell phone?”; Sherry: “Monthly for every landline and every cell phone; there is an additional tax for ‘burner phones aka pre-paid phones’ ”, Tracy: “I don’t remember what it is for Missouri, but it’s not for every cell phone.”

Saralyn Hayes also replied: “About 1/2 the Missouri counties have moved to a public safety sales tax. The other states either have a percentage based (up to 15% base rate) on landline. Then 2 years ago legislation was passed that counties can take before their voters to change from the surcharge for landline only to cover any device and is a certain amount. For prepaid phones a percentage goes back to the county and a portion stays in a state grant fund.”

Misty Perry also replied: “Section 190.455, RSMo. provides counties the power to impose a monthly fee up to $1 on subscribers of any communications service that has been enabled to contact 911 (such as landlines, non-prepaid wireless service, and VOIP). https://www.missouri911.org/county-funding-options”

Scott Penman spoke about clarification – the only statewide dedicated fee is for prepaid phones.

Sherry said she would be happy to pass the presentation along to the group.

 

5.2 Legislative Update – Sara McDale

 

The legislative efforts to 1) statutorily recognize MGISAC and 2) establish GIS data used for public services as public data, will not be introduced during the 2022 legislative session. Sara will continue to work the effort from a legislative standpoint, however, in the meantime, several efforts can be undertaken now to posture the Council for future legislative efforts. These include partnering closer with the CIO to utilize his State connections, information, and top cover to achieve Council goals, assisting the 911 Service Board with their GIS endeavors where appropriate, and heading a “what’s in it for me” campaign to help GIS content creators understand the return on investment for sharing data. Sara will provide another update in January or February.

 

  1. Committee Reports

6.1 Data Development – Buster Schrage

Tim Bixler – half the state will soon have imagery flown, but running into funding issues, and hopefully will not have to delay; the second half is to be flown next year.

Kayla Flamm: https://house.mo.gov/Bill.aspx?bill=HB1619&year=2022&code=R

– Vote to approve a letter of support for MO 911 Board GIS effort

Discussion about voting mechanism wording, and what is actually being voted upon by support/no support of this letter.

A motion was made to vote as the letter is written by Buster Schrage, and seconded by Jason Warzinik. Voting commenced as the rest of the committee reports were done. At poll closing, there was a 90% ‘Yes’ vote.

6.2 Education – Richard Perkins

CPS continues from Laura’s work, and working with the other related central programs at the schools, including the career center, and the Columbia Area STEM Alliance. They will also be mapping data for BMP’s, milkweed, caterpillars, etc. in the school district, and can share that information with the group if it would be useful.

6.3 Outreach – Open

Jennifer Bowden – potentially putting out a poll on topics the Council could offer for training, etc.

Liaison Reports

7.1 MidAmerica GIS Consortium – Steve Marsh

A MAGIC conference meeting was held this morning (12/09) for the 2022 MAGIC Conf, to be held the first full weekend in April 2022. Registration will be opening in the next couple weeks. The awards nominations will be released in the next week or so.

7.2 National States Geographic Information Council – Tony Spicci

Nothing to report

  1. Cooperating Agency / Organization Reports (Brief by Exception)

8.1 USGS – David Nail

https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/secretary-haaland-takes-action-remove-derogatory-names-federal-lands – USGS will be removing applicable names from their features.

8.2 NRCS – Katie Philbrick

Nothing to report

8.3 Missouri Mappers Association – Amanda Bybee

Nothing to report

8.4 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors – Jon Cole

Travis Thompson will be taking Jon Cole’s place on the MGISAC Board.

Legislation is coming on multiple GPS zones relating to more wide-spread changes

8.5 Census

Nothing to report

  1. Open Discussion

Nothing to report

  1. Next Meeting: January 13, 2022 at the 3500 E Gans Rd, Columbia, MO – hybrid

 

The meeting was adjourned at 12:44pm

Comments are closed.