Minutes for October 13th, 2022

Minutes for October 13th, 2022

1. Call to Order – Chair
The meeting was called to order at 10:03 am, at MDC Credit Union 2915 Truman Blvd, Jefferson City (also by Zoom).
2. Welcome and Introductions / Roll Call / Proxies – Secretary
Misty Perry stated that there were 24 Voting Members in attendance, and that there were enough voting member attendees to have a quorum (18).
Ex-Officio Members
Thomas Vought – MSDIS – p
Tony Spicci – NSGIC Liaison – p
Tracy Schloss – OA ITSD GIS – p
David Nail – USGS – p
State Members
Misty Perry – MDA – p
Jerry Prewett – DNR – a
Amelia Aubuchon – Economic Development – p
Tim Bixler – MDC – p
Wiley Howell – MOARNG – p
Colin Duewell – MoDOT – p
Matt Hesser – OA Planning – p
Brandon Wolfe – SEMA – a
Cooperating Members
Jason Warzinik – Boone County FPD – p
Nathan Mattox – Boone County – p
Dan Rose – City of Columbia – p
Buster Schrage – City of Jefferson – p
Stacey Roberts – KC MO Water – p
Steve Marsh – City of Lee’s Summit – p
Andy Wagner – City of Maryland Heights – a
Melissa Johnson – Cole County, MO – p
Rich Jones – Osage County – p
Richard Perkins – CPS – p
Jennifer Bowden – Mid-MO RPC – p
Brian Maydwell – MO 911 – p
Chris Barnett – MU Extension/CARES – Proxy by Nathan Mattox
Ming-Chih Hung – NW Missouri State – A
Brad Arshat – Sanborn – p
Steve Kasten – Surdex – p
Jeremy Tanz – SEMO RPC – a
Indi Braden – Southeast Missouri State University – a
Steve Kasten – Surdex– p
Michael Gawedzinski – USACE – p
Katie Philbrick – NRCS – a
Mollie Webb – Washington University – p
Derek Smith – Wilson & Co – p
Other Attendees (non-voting)
Joe Eckmann – ESRI – p
Saralyn Hayes – Mid-America Regional Council (MARC) – p
Craig Best – US Census – p
Nikki Kaur – St. Louis County – p
Nate Huggins – City of Springfield – p
D. Scott Penman – p
Morgan Holtmeyer – REJIS – p
Curtis Copeland, Jack King, Chelsea Rose, Aaron Addison, Derek Smith, Kayla Flamm, Jacque Walters, Scott Faenger

3. Approval of Prior Meeting Minutes – Chair
Motion to approve September minutes by Melissa, Seconded by Buster. (with amendments – detail of any edits)
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 OGI Report – Tracy Schloss
GIS day Open House planning – email thru listserv. November 15th, 1pm – 4pm; Truman Building in the Big Auditorium.
6-8 tables; plenty of space remaining. Networking opportunity and a lot of fun.
DED Broadband position open. Vacancy New Support for Fire Marshall’s office. Requires some experience using Survey 123 and workforce.
4.2 MSDIS Report – Tom Vought
A metric ton of updates: DNR/MDC. Added 3 new pages to hub site/open data site. 2 sites are in parody. Contacts, monthly report, jobs page.
Image server switched last Thursday. (old 10.4 server buggy last week). We are as migrated as we can be at this point.
emergency/natural disasters datasets not on the server. Map server and main website are next. Everything has been replicated.
4.3 Treasurer’s Report – Chris Barnett
Balance $18,557.31.
We have had one expense, a reimbursement of $621.62 to Nathan Mattox for expenses incurred in support of the SEMO GIS Symposium in September.
This leaves the balance in the account at $18,557.31.
4.4 Membership Report – Wiley Howell
34 total members (no change) with no vacancy, the membership list will soon be refreshed and sent out. Quorum 18.
Website ancient and needs love. 2 survey 123’s for membership updates: Auto-magic way. One is for members, the other for participating non-members.
Organization/Agency is already a member; routine business to swap out the representative.
Hesitate to lock in a “recipe” for membership, we don’t want to raise the cost of entry. 6 months active participation, for new members and agencies is good guideline.
4.5 By-Laws Report – Colin Duewell
Possible adding to by-laws as a guideline. “membership committee” page updated 3 years ago.
What do we do if we need a letter of support from MGISAC? If we have a deadline prior to the next meeting, do we allow chair to put out a letter of support?
WH: We have a chair for a reason. If it’s not outlined in the by-laws, they should have that authority.
TS: We trust in the chair, if unsure, then discuss with council.
NM: If we aren’t obligating finances, it should be fine.
Chair should report back, there is an implied degree of transparency there.
5. Discussion Topics / Presentations
“Workforce development specifically related to the developments in the St. Louis area and the current and projected growth of the geospatial industry in St. Louis.” – Aaron Addison
5.1 Presentations
Slides will be available on website.
6. Committee Reports

6.1 Data Development – Buster Schrage
Update on Status of State Imagery Project: Middle of QC last round: NW portion of south 1/2 of state. October 26th deadline. Approximately 60% completion. One zone up for grabs.
TB: 2pm meeting to find out date for next phase.
December 1st: Tom Vought will give webinar “How to access data from MSDIS”
Brian Maydwell will talk about 2023 flight
6.2 Education – Richard Perkins
a grant initiative that we are pursuing from the education realm that can be implemented across a broader area with the right leadership in the process.
Lots of GIS data will be open sourced for general consumption.
Grant Initiative
– Letter of support from MGISAC?
– MU Bridge: Mental Wellness Garden at Shepard Elementary
– Columbia Public School District weather stations.
6.3 Legislative – Tony Spicci
Additional discussion scheduled for after the MGISAC monthly meeting.
One step at a time to codify the advisory council. Working on draft #2 language. Wanting to finalize. Need legislator to sponsor.
6.4 Outreach – Dan Rose
nothing to report.
6.5 Marketing and Communication – Chris Barnett
Chris Barnett: Conference Planning:
I made inquiries into the possibility of offering continuing education unit (CEU) credits for conference attendees – my email chain is attached.
To summarize the CEU approach, we would need to partner with an academic unit at MU that would approve our program, there would need to be academic merit,
we would need to assess participant learning, there would be a $5 fee per student, and credits are earned at 0.1 points per hour of participation.
There are two alternatives to CEUs. First, I’ve been told that Extension would support a certificate that could be provided for recognition of their participation.
It would not have academic merit, just a participation certificate that might look nice on the wall. Perhaps not what we want to do.
Second, MU is launching an Alternative Digital Credential program that is targeted at learning outside the traditional classroom setting and recognizes
both credit and non-credit learning. The recipient is awarded a micro-credential (AKA Badge) for their activity. We would still need to involve an on-campus partner,
but I think MSDIS or CARES could support the ADC as non-academic campus units. While the policy does not address a fee, I was told to assume there would be a fee
similar to the CEU $5 per recipient charge. The recipient would have a certified digital ‘Badge’ that they can put on their resume, LinkedIn, etc. To be clear,
this is a new program, so we may experience ‘growing pains’ with this approach.
6.6 MOGISCON’23 – Jennifer Bowden
Additional discussion scheduled for 9:00, prior to the MGISAC monthly meeting
Renaming Poster contest to “Digital Project Showcase”
Vote for student submissions. Maybe QR code.
Alternative locations for offsite activities
gift bags/ small stickers
wild apricot: payment system
Go for abstracts this month and vendor registration
Survey: interests for workshops?

6.7 NG911 Report – Shawn Penman/Brian Maydwell
Service board approved PAQ ’23 and ’24. RFP for data remediation vendors. Hoping to open applications for vendors this week.
Imagery PAQ open in a few weeks.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC- Steve Marsh
Tony traveling: Determine location for MAGIC ’24 conference. 2 yr budget approved.
General: April convention in Branson a success, made enough money to continue.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council – Tony Spicci
2 weeks ago, Annual conference. 3D NHD program. Old NAQ is dead.
NSGIC: redo membership model. Retirement etc. A lot of structural changes. New website soon.
8. Cooperating Agency / Organization Reports (Brief by Exception)
8.1 USGS – David Nail
SW LiDAR project, Fall ’21 acquisition complete 1/28/22. Vertical accuracy completed September ’22. FEMA NRC project; hurricane Ian created project slowdowns.
8.2 NRCS – Katie Philbrick
Nothing to report.
8.3 Missouri Mappers Association – tbd
Nothing to report.
8.4 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors – tbd
Nothing to report.
8.5 Census – Craig Best
Nothing to report.
9. Open Discussion
GIS Technician position open: cityofLS.net
Nathan will not attend the next meeting; Tim B. will lead.
10. Next Meeting: November 10, 2022 10:00am at MDC Credit Union, 2915 Truman Blvd, Jefferson City, MO.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:33 am.

Comments are closed.