Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – December 14, 1999

Present: Tony Spicci, Tim Haithcoat, Jo Ann Shaw, Jeff Davis, Mark Duewell, Jeff Falter, Jim Davis, Rich Jenkins, Darryl Williams, Debbie Pitts

Agenda:

1. Reading of Minutes

2. MSDIS Activities

3. Standards

  • Addressing Standards
  • Metadata Standards
  • Other Standards

4. MAGIC information and update – Tan-Tar-A

5. SMAC Update

6. GIS Day 2000

7. GIS Education Effort

Others: Job Descriptions

Tony Spicci called the meeting to order.

The minutes of the November 9, 1999 meeting were not available but will be brought to the next meeting in January.

Standards reports were then provided by Jo Ann Shaw (Metadata) and Tim Haithcoat (Addressing). The metadata committee report stated that Jo Ann made contact with the USGS (Rob Reihnhardt) and will work with and obtain the USGS raster data documentation that has been written. Darryl Williams suggested she also contact Kim Burns-Braidlow who is on detail at the USGS and is very familiar with the standards work and activities. The first draft of the Metadata Standard will be distributed to the subcommittee tentatively on Jan 11, 2000. The revised draft will then be sent to the MGISAC by the February 8, 2000 meeting for review.

The addressing committee (Mark Duewell, Jim Davis, Jeff Davis, Gary Beahen, and John Blodgett) held a meeting on November 30 at the Missouri Department of Health to discuss the breadth, goals, and activities of this committee. The committee conducted some brainstorming and arrived at the following bullets:

  • Identify the goals for this initiative.
  • Create draft addressing standard.
  • Outline feedback and review process.
  • Need to create a position paper (white paper) outlining need.
  • Create presentations and take them to agency meetings to increase awareness.
  • Create meeting milestones
  • Create process for the development of the standard.
  • Create process for the development and maintenance of the addressable street file.
  • Outline methodologies to achieve the goal.
  • Investigate privacy issues.
  • Investigate liability issues.
  • Define issues surrounding rural addressing.
  • Build flexibility for time referencing.
  • Build to support geocoding capabilities at multiple levels.

The department of Health outlined their activities with the MOHSAIC health system and its goal of tracking health affects from birth to death for Missouri citizens. Also identified was the capability to group services, monies, or client served into aggregated groups by county, school district, legislative district, service area, or other geographies. Utilizing TIGER as a base was offered and GTD and ETAK were also mentioned. The underlying thought is that whatever we do it will be more accurate than whats available and more accessible than whats available. Other members we want to invite participation from include: SEMA, Social Services, Highway Patrol, Secretary of States Office, Revenue, and Elementary and Secondary Education.

A subgroup of the Addressing Standard committee has formed the drafting team. They include Tim Haithcoat, Jim Davis, and John Blodgett.

The 2000 Missouri State GIS Conference is being held in conjunction with the MidAmerica GIS Consortiums 2000 Symposium in Tan-Tar-A on May 14-18, 2000. Tim Haithcoat mentioned that NASA may want to participate (workshops and presentations on their local government initiatives) and provide aid to local government representatives to attend this meeting. The next meeting of the MAGIC Symposium planning committee was announced as January 13, 2000 in Olathe, KS. All are welcome to come and participate. Tim Haithcoat and Tony Spicci have been attending meetings.

Darryl Williams provided an update on the State Mapping Advisory Committee (SMAC). He provided a brief history of the SMAC and its present condition within the state. The main goals of the SMAC are to provide a conduit of communication with USGS and provide a forum for consensus building for mapping activities from the state based on group input and discussion. Mimi Garstang, Deputy Director, DGLS has expressed interest in pulling this group back together. The MGISAC feels that it should support this meeting and help to get it scheduled sometime in the first quarter of 2000. This meeting would be an organizational meeting hosted by DNR at Rolla and invitations would go out to the broad spectrum of state agencies and interested parties. Darryl will forward to Tim Haithcoat materials concerning the SMAC so that he can draft a position paper explaining why the MGISAC feels we need the SMAC. This would be presented at the February meeting for review and then be sent to DNR-DGLS for their response.

Tony Spicci announced that GIS Day will be on November 15, 2000 during Geography Awareness Week. The MGISAC wants to promote this event with several activities. Thought included a day at the capitol with state agencies displaying the various applications of GIS undertaken in conducting their mandates. These might include manned displays and posters as well as computer applications. The goal of these activities is to eliminate the notion that GIS is a specialty tool but rather that it is a widely used form of analysis within the state. Other ideas were tours for schools within each of the state GIS centers.

The other issue that came out of the discussions of GIS Day is that we should have a similar event to provide a forum to interact with the legislature. This requires the MGISAC to set goals and define what we wish to accomplish with this activity. There were several funding issues brought forward from the MGISAC that could be addressed such as data base development (ie. NWI, DOQQ, etc.) and the scheduled NAPP flight for 2002. As part of this marketing the MGISAC suggested the development of a MGISAC Legislative Report with sections tied to agency uses of GIS across a broad spectrum of applications with each application consisting of one page with text and an eye-catching graphic. This would need to be ready by the May Symposium. Tim Haithcoat was going to bring some examples of what this report might look like.

Tony Spicci then gave a report from the GIS Training and Education Committee. They are putting forward a recommendation that a needs assessment and survey be conducted across state agencies to create the basis for the training position. This person would conduct regular training sessions and coordinate a state training program. There would be core classes and training would be provided on software. Other GIS programs could be implemented based on needs. Tim Haithcoat stated that he had web based survey software that could be used in conducting this survey if desired.

Discussion then turned back to the issue of Job Descriptions and the email discussions that unfolded from Tony Spiccis request to the Office of Information Technology. Tim Haithcoat talked with Mike Benzen on November 15, 1999 to get his input on this issue. He was very supportive of the cross-walk idea and will be providing IT classifications and descriptions to Tim Haithcoat for the initial discussions in this regard. Tim Haithcoat agreed to create a straw-person crosswalk for discussion at the January meeting.

The meeting adjourned at 12:00.

Comments are closed.