Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – March 8, 2007

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building-9:00 am

Call to Order

Called to order at 9:04 am

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Tim Haithcoatexcused
Tony Spiccipresent

State Members

Debbie BriedwellVice-chairpresent
Bobbie Sue KoellingChairpresent
Eric Manessexcused
Jeff Schlosspresent
Beth Struempfpresent
Mike Sutherlandexcused
Becky Veitpresent
Arnold Williamspresent

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth Cookpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Mike Duncanabsent
Ray Foxpresent
Dawn Hilderbrandabsent
Pam Kelrickpresent
Curtis Koonsabsent
Kevin Kuhlmannexcused
JimLaScalaexcused
Steve Marsh (proxy for JimLaScala)present
Gary Mookpresent
Greg Reszpresent
Ed Siegmundabsent
Kim Swisherabsent
Diane Truepresent

Other Attendees

Stan Balsman, SEMO RPC
Tim Bohn, Surdex
Tim Donze, Surdex
Mark Duewell, MSDIS
Eric Foster, MODOT
Nathan Mattox, UM-Extension
Dan Ross, CIO

Approval of the Minutes

Minutes: RF, GM, approved by vote

MGISAC Administration

Announcements/Executive Activity

Dan R: Did not attend the conference but heard that Rep. Sutherland made some good opening remarks, mentioning legislation to support GIO, GIS staffing. Recent departures of Jeff Falter and the Lancloses highlight this need. Looking at centralized GIS resources and staff to support agencies. Detail of legislative session budget progress. Have reflected on issue of non-state member leadership; can’t think of any reason not to; support that change. Would be glad to take any suggestions or comments.

By-laws

Liz C: are the changes made? [yes]

Nominations

No Report

State GIO ReportTony Spicci

Have been awarded the CAP grant. Pam K will coordinate through the Strategic Planning subcommittee. Pam K and I will attend NSGIC Mid-year as a requirement of that grant. Will move forward on theArcServergrant, think we can get all the elements in place. Need a programmer, think we have one identified. State GIS coordinators will meet next Thursday at 2 in Lower Osage conference room. Everyone is welcome, but will focus on state issues. Asking for agenda items. Meeting today at 1pm about data development, centerlines, have talked toTeleAtlas,DynaMap, Navtech, about costs, including statewide licensing, ranging from $600-800K. Will discuss exactly what our needs are, how to pay for it. Gary M: EWGW has Navtech through Illinois DOT. Liz C: USDA just boughtTeleAtlas; know nothing about the contract. Greg R: Will data be available to locals? Tony S: depends on the contract. Discussion. Gary M: Navtech uses resellers and we got three different prices. Arnold W: how do we stop private citizens getting the data? Tony S: it is a licensed product. Discussion. Dan R: Where are we on the imagery? Tim Bohn: we are acquiring, about 20% done, have some samples. Discussion.

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Stan Balsman from SEMO RPC has joined us for today’s Data Development meeting. Discussing western half of state imagery at 1pm. Will discuss centerlines, also holding more public meetings to gather input. Discussion.

Funding & GrantsPam Kelrick

Dovetailing into Strategic Planning. Have our hands full. Does anyone want to volunteer for this subcommittee?

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementTim Haithcoat

Mark D: Meeting next Tuesday at 10am-noon at SEMA, phone bridge will be available. Geospatial for Homeland Security session April 20.

Local Government GroupSteve Marsh/Greg Resz

No Report

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell/David Drum/Jim LaScala

Met at Concordia (Pioneer Trails) about regional workshop. Agenda coming soon. They will handle registration for local attendees for two weeks; if any of 50 seats are open after that two weeks then registration will open statewide. Registration is $5.

Strategic PlanningPam Kelrick

Will develop a comprehensive strategic plan, outreach materials. Will have three or four separate, professionally-moderated retreats. Subcommittee will meet after April MGISAC meeting to plan retreats. Grant will be published on the wiki soon. Have until next March to complete the grant.

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

No Report

Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

Rep. Sutherland’s keynote presentation about GIS legislation; just in formative stages. Federally, MAPPS lawsuit about Brooks Act getting uglier by the day.

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

Great deal of time was spent in support of this conference. Nathan Mattox in particular spent a lot of time supporting workshops. Currently in the middle of rebuild. Set up SDE last week, IMS next week. Hope backup servers will go to Kansas in early April. Question from Steve M about making shapefiles available instead of/in addition to GZIP’ed E00 files. Mark D: staff availability. Discussion. Discussion about being able to backup locals’ data.

Missouri GIS Conference

Tony S: Total registration 205 people, 250 including vendors. Only 22 people signed up for workshops only. Jamie promised we will not have to pass the hat around, will clear about $2k.
Programs: All the speakers showed up; happy about that. Pleased with the way it went; surprised there weren’t more people in ESRI sessions. Only one vendor session crossed the line into a sales pitch, but no one seemed to be bothered by it.
Workshops: Special thank-you to the instructors. Three workshops had lower attendance, but two of those are must-have topics (Setting up a GIS, LULC).
Vendors: No Report
Posters: had 19 or 20 boards filled up. Pam K: does anyone have a good idea how to keep posters up longer? Discussion.
Awards: did everyone think they went well? Discussion.
Publicity: Discussion aboutCDs.
Social: Everyone very happy with format. Tim Bonze: would suggest holding off dinner a little longer to give more of a happy hour interlude.
Tony S: want to thank everyone for their hard work. Follow-up evaluation will come out in the next week or two. Two key decisions: do we want to hold another conference in 2009? Will need to pick dates, conference manager, conference chairs. Tan-Tar-A is holding dates for us in March. Bobbie Sue K: don’t we have to hold the conference according to the by-laws? Discussion. Tony S: Should we keep Custom Meeting Planners? Consensus is yes. Who wants to run this? No volunteers.

MAGIC Symposium Committee

No Report

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

No Report

Federal/USGSRay Fox

Working on map-on-demand for disaster-prone areas; New Madrid mentioned.

MACOGEd Siegmund

No Report

MORAPDiane True

No Report

MMAJennifer Peterson

No Report

MSPSJohn Teale

No Report

NSGICTony Spicci

Mid-year coming up soon. If anyone wants an update on the Brooks Act, inquire. Ray F: Missouri will be showcased at NSGIC Mid-year.

Round Table Discussionall

Gary M: EWGW has an opening for an entry-level GIS person.
Arnold W: Latest MODOT centerline data on FTP site.ftp://ftp.modot.mo.gov/TMSPublic/msdis/st_modotrds0702.zip
Jeff S: ESRI is sending incorrect quotes for Arc maintenance, sending $300, should be $215. 10m DEM statewide, flow direction, accumulation, and fill layers available soon. Very big dataset.
Stan Balsman: Publish sessions at the same time as workshops. RPC Annual Meeting award presented to Mark Duewell.
Beth S: I really enjoyed all the workshops I attended.
Pam K: At least three regional workshops will come out of the grant.
Diane T: looking for placenames data. GNIS suggested; has everything from the 24k series.
Debbie B: working on earthquake exercise planning, if anyone else is working on this, please coordinate. HaveGeoPDFsamples. Using for floor plans, chemical plant emergency response site.

Announcement of next meeting

April 12, 2007 @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Adjourned at 10:54 am

 

 

Comments are closed.