Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – October 11, 2007

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building-9:00 am

Call to Order

Called to order at 9:04 a.m. Borrowing MAGIC Phone Bridge. Discussion on methods of payment for borrowing the service. Dan Ross, CIO, asked the potential cost (variable) and then stated he thought that ITSD would be able to cover the cost.

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Tim Haithcoatpresent

State Members

Debbie Briedwellpresent
David Finchabsent
Bobbie Sue Koellingpresent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tony Spiccipresent
Beth Struempfpresent
Mike Sutherlandpresent
Becky Veitabsent
Arnold Williamspresent

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth Cookpresent
David DrumSecretaryexcused
Mike Duncanexcused
Ray Foxpresent
Dawn Hilderbrandabsent
Pam KelrickVice-chairpresent
Curtis Koonsabsent
Kevin Kuhlmannabsent
JimLaScalaabsent
Steve MarshChairpresent
Gary Mookpresent via telephone bridge
Greg Reszpresent
Ed Siegmundabsent
Kim Swisherabsent
Diane Truepresent

Other Attendees

Tim Bohn, Surdex
Bill Bott, Deputy CIO
Mark Duewell, MSDIS
Eric Foster, MODOT
MelissaMcClain, St. Louis County
Jeff Patridge, DHSS
Dan Ross, CIO

Approval of the Minutes

September minutes are available on the web site. Motion from Pam K to approve, seconded by Tony S, approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

Announcements/Executive Activity

CIO: RFP for western half of state to OA Bill B will try to accelerate process of getting it out on the street. Tim Haithcoat has officially accepted the Geographic Information Officer position. Tim will be a shared resource – splitting his time between ITSD and his current position at the University of Missouri. Tim will be taking on all the responsibilities of the position and will be a POC for current grant efforts.

The CIO wanted to publicly acknowledge the previous GIO – Tony Spicci thanking him for his solid service to the state and GIO position.

The committee should begin to think about GIS Briefs or sound bytes that could be provided to legislative members a simple laminated one page list of how or where GIS impacts a legislators district or constituents. The card would resembles current offerings by ITSD but would empower legislators with GIS functionality and usefulness.

Questions for the CIO:

Ray F Western Side Imagery for the State RFP local budgets need setting ASAP some by November can the RFP make it through the OA process in time? Bill B. will follow up on this with OA.

Debbie B can examples of the ITSD card be distributed?

By-laws

No report

Nominations

No report

State GIO ReportTony Spicci/Tim Haithcoat

No report

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Ray wanted to thank all of that participated in generating the RFP it was a time consuming process and required many inputs.

Funding & GrantsPam Kelrick

Steering Committee for 50 States grant will meet briefly after this meeting. Pam requested an extension of grant deadline. Grant will stay in the OA fiscal and contracting system. Tim H (as new GIO) will replace Tony Spicci’s role in the grant.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementTim Haithcoat

[Need content]

Local Government Group

Still need a new chair.

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell/David Drum/Jim LaScala

Mark D: Discussed results of Southeast regional Meeting Survey Monkey analysis. Local presentations were particularly well received. Mark D attended Southwest User Group Regional meeting on 10/4 with Ray F – over 80 in attendance. The meeting had a very good poster session and some excellent presentation content. Mark mentioned the next GIS Legislative Day and that a lead would have to be found for this activity. Since David Drum by all accounts did so well with it last year Mark is hoping David will again take on this mantle

Strategic PlanningPam Kelrick

Annual report is done and out for comment please get back to Pam with those comments.

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

[Need content]

Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

No report

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

First quarter report and fiscal spreadsheet will be posted any day now awaiting some content to finalize.

Missouri GIS Conference

No report

MAGIC Symposium Committee

Tony asked that MGISAC sponsor for the upcoming 2008 MAGIC Symposium – a booth slot and registrations (2) will result. Registrations can be offered to MGISAC members who might not otherwise be able to attend. Seconded – ???????? Vote – Unanimous approval to sponsor.

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

MRSID county mosaics ready hard drive needed MSDIS will be collecting and serving them as soon as practical.

Federal/USGSRay Fox

No report

MACOGEd Siegmund

No report

MORAPDiane True

[Need content]

MMAJennifer Peterson

No report

MSPSJohn Teale

No report

NSGICTony Spicci

A successful annual meeting was held in Madison, Wisconsin.

Data Sharing Position Discussion

A very broad discussion of a data sharing position to be promoted by the MGISAC Committee was facilitated by a trained volunteer – Jeff Patridge, DHSS. Jeff does have an extensive GIS background but is also a trained facilitator. The initial meeting lasted at least 2 hours and covered defining the issues by defining data and sharing and how they relate to what the committee wants to develop as an official position on data sharing. Jeff created extensive post-it posters the contents of which hell format and share at or before the next discussion meeting.

Round Table Discussionall

Jeff S Renee Robinson has moved to a National Guard GIS position.
Tim H. GeoPDFs are being pursued as possible solution for new USGS mapping update effort.
Tony S Trying to put a .Net apps class together is interested in potential participants.

Announcement of next meeting

November 8, 2007 @ Fish Room, Runge Nature Center, Jefferson City

Adjournment

Adjourned at 11:45 a.m.

 

 

Comments are closed.