Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – September 13, 2007

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building-9:00 am

Call to Order

Called to order at 9:02 am

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Tim Haithcoatpresent
Tony Spiccipresent

State Members

Debbie Briedwellexcused
David Finchabsent
Bobbie Sue Koellingexcused
Jeff Schlossexcused
Beth Struempfabsent
Mike Sutherlandabsent
Becky Veitpresent
Arnold Williamsexcused

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth Cookpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Mike Duncanabsent
Ray Foxpresent
Dawn Hilderbrandabsent
Pam KelrickVice-chairpresent
Curtis Koonsabsent
Kevin Kuhlmannabsent
JimLaScalapresent
Steve MarshChairpresent
Gary Mookpresent
Greg Reszpresent
Ed Siegmundabsent
Kim Swisherpresent
Diane Truepresent

Other Attendees

Aaron Addison, Washington University in St. Louis
Mark Allen, Lafayette Co
Tim Bohn, Surdex
Bill Bott, Deputy CIO
Joe Clayton, MDC & MSPS
Mark Duewell, MSDIS
Jason Ebersole,MoDOT(proxy for Arnold Williams)
Eric Foster,MoDOT
Nathan Mattox, UM-Extension
Donna Rehagen, DSS
Renee Robinson, DNR (proxy for Jeff Schloss)
Dan Ross, CIO

Approval of the Minutes

August minutes available on the web site. Motion from Ray F to approve, seconded by Jim L, approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

Announcements/Executive Activity

CIO: getting ready to bid western half of state. People starting to understand the value of the project. Looking for the right person to fill a full-time GIO position, not sure if it will be advertised. Question from Ray F: who will help with Imagery for the State? Dan R: contact Bill Bott.

By-laws

No Report

Nominations

Colin Duewell joining from Dep’t of Economic Development

State GIO ReportTony Spicci

No Report

Data Sharing

6.3: Discussion of future presentation topics. 6.1: I want a data sharing position/MOU/something within the year. Tim H: data liability may be the easier part. Steve M: start with the parts that people can agree on. Mark D: should be a structured discussion. David D: work is going to have to take place offline; wiki would be a good place to collect source material. Discussion of facilitating conversation. Pam K: call for people’s positions. Steve M: the worst thing we can do is not have the discussion.

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Met Tuesday. Went through statement of work for Imagery for the State RFP. Added a lot of detail. Hoping to get RFP to the State before NSGIC in two weeks. Have prepared a poster for the NSGIC conference. Feel we are doing good work and should showcase it to the nation.

Funding & GrantsPam Kelrick

Steering Comm for 50 States grant will meet briefly after this meeting. Feel we are ready to move ahead. Will request an extension of deadline. Discussion.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementTim Haithcoat

Met on 9/7, MERIS GIS project received $334,000, thought it was going to receive $125,000. Met Tuesday with Project Homeland staff. Meeting 10/17 again for interviews at Missouri Information Analysis Center. Looking to integrate Red Cross shelter database, integrating IRIS transportation database, also mandate to use ICAV. Third piece is database collection and development.

Local Government GroupSteve Marsh/Greg Resz

Need a new chair. Or we can discuss combining it into a different subcommittee. Hope to look at subcommittee structure in the coming months. Very good feedback from the Southeast regional meeting.

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell/David Drum/Jim LaScala

Mark D: Had 59 registered, 51 attended for southeast regional meeting. Thanks to SEMO for hosting and providing coffee / donuts during the breaks. Survey went out and already have over 50% back. Overall people really appreciated the meeting. Local presentations were well received and we need to continue to beat the bushes to find these presentations at future meetings. Have met some new folks at Missouri State, they seem open to working together. Lots of data sharing going on in the MARC area; there are some strings attached but it seems to be working well. Southwest Regional meeting on 10/4. Mark D and Ray F are attending as presenters only. Were invited to the MO Assessors meeting after the West-Central Regional workshop, but confusion ensued and both Ray and Mark were not informed they had actually made it onto the agenda until the day of the meeting in Branson.

Strategic PlanningPam Kelrick

The annual report is nearly done. Nothing new on the 50 States grant. Mark D: we’re working on a list of stakeholders who should attend the Strategic Planning meetings. Read existing list and please add additional potential stakeholders by submitting names and contact info to Pam Kelrick.

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

Taking another shot at a statewide geocoding license. Steve M: could you report status of different standards? Tim H: will send out document we maintain.

Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

Not too much to report on the state level. FLAIR Act still alive but not getting traction, still looking for a cosponsor. Recap of MAPPS lawsuit outcome.

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

Regional clearinghouse meeting 8/21, well-attended. Missouri one of the leading clearinghouses. Discussed hosting and backup architecture. KS, MO, and AR already done. Discussion of statewide database integration projects. RAMONA has not been pursued much in Missouri, working on that. DiscussedArcGISserver. Discussed HS/ER goings-on, especially GIS response to Kansas flooding and tornadoes. Working on a MAGIC Metadata triage workshop for the 8 state region. Jim L: have you thought about providing web services? Explanation. Tim H: some of this may be provided by the state. Mark D: we are also moving toward providing ESRI shapefiles. Tim H: we’re also going to fill the need for an archive of older data. Steve M: should we schedule time to discuss data formats? Consensus yes. Discussion.

Missouri GIS Conference

Steve M: don’t have a chair yet. Jim L: I’ll do vendors again. Diane T: I’ll do social. Kim S: I’ll volunteer for something. Tony S: I’ll volunteer for something. Steve M: what do we do with the proceeds from the last conference ($15.4K)? Discussion. Dan R will ask OA lawyer about legal status and financial/tax implications. Discussion. Tony S, Steve M, Mark D will look into account options and responsibilities.

MAGIC Symposium Committee

Keynotes in place, great speakers. Call for presentations has gone out. Trying to beef up the technical side. Steve M: need presenters for a couple workshops, will call the people we think can fill them. MAGIC receiving a RAMONA grant (through NSGIC). Grant will fund workshops. Mark Allen interested. Mark D: talking to local gov’ts about backing up their data; if MSDIS has your data then there is a record in Geospatial One Stop (GOS). I would be happy to help anyone who wants to get started with RAMONA. Ryan Lanclos is revitalizing the MAGIC HS.

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

Have received some of 07 NAIP imagery. No option for uncompressed imagery, just MRSID. Amazed by four-county LIDAR data. USDA on a big privacy push with respect to personally-identifiable information.

Federal/USGSRay Fox

Director of USGS will be at NSGIC. If you have a question for him, let me know.

MACOGEd Siegmund

No Report

MORAPDiane True

Getting ready to deliver archaeology database to DNR. Discussion.

MMA Sarah Murray / Kim Swisher

No Report

MSPSJohn Teale

Main concern for the last year has been the cadaster layer. Feel surveyors are beginning to recognize the benefits of GIS.

NSGICTony Spicci

Still working to fund Imagery for the Nation. Just a question of when. Annual conference in two weeks. The National Geospatial Advisory Committee membership has been selected and is pending approval. Discussion. Learon Dalby is the incoming NSGIC president.

Round Table Discussionall

Pam K: looking for state-owned buildings for strategic planning meetings.
Mark D: MAGIC Award categories: lifetime special achievement award, consortium award (you can nominate somebody in the categories of GIS coordination, services, or innovation by going tohttp://magicweb.kgs.ku.edu/magic/symposiums/2008/awards.cfm)and symposium awards for best poster and best student poster.
Jason E: QAQC on 2007 imagery beginning as soon as we get it. Cleaning up linework in St. Louis, Kansas City, Springfield, and St. Joseph.
Jim L: looking for help for 4H camporee
Mark Allen: Lafayette Co aerial imagery 80% done.
Tim Bohn: delivery 1 ofIftSdone
Renee R: Working with Dep’t of Agriculture, training field staff
Tony S: reclassifying one position to GIS specialist. Have two temporary positions open, one in JC, one in Columbia.

Announcement of next meeting

October 11, 2007 @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Motion to adjourn from Jim L, seconded by Diane T, approved by vote. Adjourned at 11:36 am.

 

 

Comments are closed.