Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – August 9, 2007

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building-9:00 am

Call to Order

Called to order at 9:05 am

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Tim Haithcoatexcused
Tony Spicciexcused

State Members

Debbie BriedwellVice-chairexcused
David Finchabsent
Bobbie Sue KoellingChairpresent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Beth Struempfpresent
Mike Sutherlandpresent
Becky Veitexcused
Arnold Williamspresent

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth Cookpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Mike Duncanexcused
Ray Foxpresent
Dawn Hilderbrandabsent
Pam Kelrickpresent
Curtis Koonsabsent
Kevin Kuhlmannpresent
JimLaScalapresent
Steve Marshpresent
Gary Mookpresent
Greg Reszpresent
Ed Siegmundabsent
Kim Swisherabsent
Diane Truepresent

Other Attendees

Tim Bohn, Surdex
Kay Chilton, Hickory County Assessor
Tim Donze, Surdex
Colin Duewell, Department of Economic Development
Mark Duewell, MSDIS
Nathan Mattox, UM-Extension
Jeff Patridge, DHSS (proxy for Debbie Briedwell)
Dan Ross, CIO
Jamie Schieber, Custom Meeting Planners

Approval of the Minutes

Motion to approve mintues by Liz C, second by Greg R, approved by vote

MGISAC Administration

Announcements/Executive Activity

Matthew Hesser has replaced Ryan Burson as the state demographer effective 9/4. Preparing the state budget, but unsure if there will be a specific GIS item.

By-laws

Bylaws: NR

Nominations

Membership renewal letters have been sent out.

State GIO ReportTony Spicci

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Meeting next Tuesday at 1pm. Hope to have everything to prepare the RFP for west Missouri. Will also discuss strategic plan.

Funding & GrantsPam Kelrick

Strategic Planning Steering Committee will meet after lunch today. Schedule for the remainder of the Strategic Planning work will go out in the next few days.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementTim Haithcoat

Met Tuesday for about two hours. Will support steering $125K to local efforts. Steve M: would like to understand how money is appropriated. Mark D: it changes every year, but 80% is supposed to go to local efforts. Ray F: $125K is for GIS support.

Local Government GroupSteve Marsh/Greg Resz

Southeast regional meeting at the end of this month. Agenda looks really good.

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell/David Drum/Jim LaScala

Southeast regional meeting on 8/30 all-day. Currently at 33 registrations, cap at 50. Much more vendor interest this time. Two vendors offering to sponsor future meetings, not sure where that will go. Ray F and Mark D have been asked to speak at the southwest meeting.

Strategic PlanningPam Kelrick

Will follow up with [?]

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

No Report

Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

No Report

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

Spending a lot of time on the regional workshops. New data coming out soon. Nathan M: have a backup of the National Map. Pam K: where is the metadata grant? Mark D: [missed answer] Diane T: question about metadata for LULC layer Mark D: have Clayton call me. Steve M: working on having Jackson Co lobbyist lobby for an assessment fee for spatial data creation.

Missouri GIS Conference

Jamie Schieber: have signed contract with TTA for 2/16-19/2009. Steve M: anyone interested in chairing a conference subcommittee should volunteer now. All chairs are open as of now.

MAGIC Symposium Committee

No Report

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

FSA land cover attribute is now available in the public CLU layer. FSA Rep is now interested in coordinating NAIP flights. Now planning to fly a couple sites in the bootheel for LIDAR; I get a call a week from someone asking for LIDAR; the situation is ripe for a state partnership.

Federal/USGSRay Fox

May have some funds to contribute to bootheel LIDAR. Could not attend Missouri Mappers conference. Working to obtain graphic representations of local’s data to create better-looking topo maps.

MACOGEd Siegmund

No Report

MORAPDiane True

Working hard

MMAJennifer Peterson

Conference attendance was down a little bit due to reassessment activities.

MSPSJohn Teale

Martin’s keynote at MMA expressed the need for surveyors and GIS to work together and not to let the tools get in the way.

NSGICTony Spicci

No Report

Elections

Mark D: Pam Kelrick new Vice-Chair. Tie for Chair at 10 votes each. Liz concedes to Steve.

Round Table Discussionall

Jeff S: more data coming out
Greg R: Steve, how would money from your legislation come back to GIS?
Steve M: not sure
Greg R: please keep counties not structured like Jackson in mind.
Mike S: have filed that legislation before, opposed by realtors and title companies.
Kay Chilton: what would the money be used for?
Steve M: considering a centralized parcel management approach for small counties.
Liz C: or could be for development of GIS
Jim L: Effective 1/1/08 Liberty’s GIS will be under IT.
Steve M: thank you all and thank you Liz
Mark D: it was nice to have a contested election
Tim Bohn: 3-4 weeks away from first delivery ofIftS
Pam K: moving up Strat Plan mtg

Announcement of next meeting

September 13, 2007 @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Motion from Jim L, seconded by Steve M to adjourn. Adjourned at 10:21 am

 

 

Comments are closed.