Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – November 8, 2007

Runge Nature Center-9:00 am

Call to Order

Called to order at 9:10 am

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Tim Haithcoatpresent

State Members

Debbie Briedwellpresent
Colin Duewellpresent
David Finchabsent
Bobbie Sue Koellingexcused
Jeff Schlossexcused
Tony Spicciexcused
Beth Struempfpresent
Mike Sutherlandexcused
Becky Veitabsent
Arnold Williamspresent

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth Cookpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Mike Duncanabsent
Ray Foxpresent
Dawn Hilderbrandabsent
Pam KelrickVice-chairpresent
Curtis Koonsabsent
Kevin Kuhlmannabsent
JimLaScalaabsent
Steve MarshChairpresent
Gary Mookpresent
Greg Reszpresent
Ed Siegmundabsent
Kim Swisherabsent
Diane Truepresent

Other Attendees

Stan Balsman,Southeast MO RPC
Tim Bohn, Surdex
Kim Burns, ESRI
Mark Duewell, MSDIS
Eric Foster,MoDOT
Matt Hesser, State Demographer
Nathan Mattox, MU-Extension
Kurt Schulz, NGA
Ed Turner, Surdex

Approval of the Minutes

Deferred due to lack of quorum. [Later, after quorum established] Motion to approve from Pam K, seconded by Liz C, approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

Announcements/Executive Activity

Suggestion of moving MSDIS ex-officio seat to Mark Duewell. [Later, after quorum established] Discussion. Motion from Ray Fox to transfer ex-officio membership to Mark Duewell. Multiple seconds, approved by vote.

By-laws

No changes submitted for consideration.

Nominations

No new nominations. Question if new state demographer has been nominated.

State GIO ReportTim Haithcoat

Been in the GIO role for 25 days. RFP for western Imagery for the State being released in the next week. Earl Pettit is the purchasing officer at OA (573-751-5430) if there are questions. Working on getting written commitment from local entities that want to buy-up. Dealing with issues such as “what if we raise too much in state funds” (decision would come back to this committee), “what are prioirity areas for LIDAR” (only if we get above the amount required) Fifty States Initiative contracts are moving forward. Working on voting precincts in the state; 45 of 115 counties have responded. State Trimble contract lapses Dec. 31; state ESRI contract lapses Feb. 28.

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Meeting next Tuesday at 1pm at National Guard. Directions to National Guard: Bear right past tanks, go around to the back where the lake is, go left, turn into the parking lot at the top of the hill at the education center. Go in doors, go upstairs, turn back towards parking lot and turn right, go all the way to the end. There is an office at the top of the stairs where you can ask for directions. Will discuss status of prior year and next year flights. Will discuss what to do next (LIDAR, centerlines, etc.). SM: has geodetic control made it onto that list? RF: It can be added.

Funding & GrantsPam Kelrick/Mark Duewell

Fifty states grant is up and running again. Contracts are moving forward. Hope those on the steering committee can attend a subcommittee meeting today. Please call Pam K if you cannot make the meeting but have thoughts on the topic. Mark D: have decided to apply for a 2008 CAP grant to collect critical infrastructure in the SEMO and BootheelRPCs.RPCsare willing to contribute a match; this is a first. Pam K: is this being coordinated with the Regional Homeland Security Oversight Committee? Yes, they are involved. Will ask MGISAC for a letter of support.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementTim Haithcoat

Meet next Tuesday November 13 from 10-noon at National Guard. Having a pre-meeting at 9am by videoconference with theTCRCsto determine how they can be leveraged in a response. Project Homeland is moving forward; NGA folks have been briefed. Will probably start up in January.ArcServergrant will move into this activity. Goal is to have MIAC geo-enabled. Focus is to build data in New Madrid earthquake zones downward from the most severe until the money runs out. Steve M: could we have a joint meeting at some point? Tim H: yes. Steve M: MARC is very close to having data sharing agreements with all its government entities, including being able to run the EOC. Database replication is nearing automatic status. Tim H: theUASIsand the State don’t coordinate, so there are difficulties.

Local Government Group

Still lack a chair for this subcommittee. Possibility of merging Local Gov’t with Outreach and Education. Mark D: I feel we should have separate subcommittees. Greg R: I’ll take it until I can’t. Had a big talk with folks from the southwest. They want to work independently.

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell/David Drum

Have one more regional workshop to do … Got a call a week and a half ago from Bruce D at SEMO asking for a half-day workshop sometime after the holidays for Bootheel folks. Has EDA money to contribute to making it happen. Liked the format used at theSouthEastworkshop, wants to keep it introductory. Will see if the MAGIC grant has funds; if not, MGISAC should consider contributing a nominal amount for the image advertising opportunity. Discussion. Motion from Gary M to spend $100 towards a Bootheel workshop. Seconded by Liz C. Question from Ray F about MAGIC money. Question from Arnold W about beginning a Treasurer position and report. Motion tabled to December.

Money

Steve has established through Dan Ross that the State cannot hold MGISAC’s money. Suggestion has been made to have MSDIS hold the money. Money is currently in a separate account held by Custom Meeting Planners. Discussion. Motion from Debbie Briedwell, second by Arnold Williams, to move balance of funds from Custom Meeting Planners to MSDIS account. Friendly amendment to create Treasurer position. Amendment withdrawn due to impact on By-laws. Motion approved by vote. Steve M will ensure that an amendment to the By-laws is ready in December.

Strategic PlanningPam Kelrick

Would like to have someone else take over chair of subcommittee. Explanation. Discussion. Discussion of what the GIO’s duties are. Liz C: Tim, if I took it could I count on your help? Tim H: yes. Liz C: I’ll be interim chair. Discussion. Steve M: Motion to hold a special election in December for Treasurer on the assumption that the position will be created in December. Second by Liz C. Discussion. Motion passes by vote. Nominations are open now.

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

No report

Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

No report

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

Heard about the grant. Metadata triage; curriculum is out for comment. Power failure at Kansas. Looking at adding another disk array. Going to start testing services in Kansas. Shapefile andGeoDBdiscussion.

Missouri GIS Conference

Took care of the money issue. Need to get committee chairs (Diane has signed up to chair Social; JimLaScalahas signed up to chair Vendors).

MAGIC Symposium Committee

No report

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

Have delivered NAIP data to MSDIS andMoDOT. Meeting with DNR Dam Safety staff, who are looking for partners for LIDAR acquisition.

Federal/USGSRay Fox

Kurt S: I work in the Coordinate Systems Analysis branch at NGA. Here to introduce the US National Grid. UTM based, originated about 10 years ago. Fills the need for a uniform nationwide grid. Response to the availability of GPS. Lat/lon was not the way to go; need to use a projection-based planar system. Method of referencing a location with increasing detail. Seehttp://mississippi.deltastate.edu/ for more information. This is for public safety, not a replacement for state plane or surveying systems.

MACOGEd Siegmund

No report

MORAPDiane True

No report

MMAJennifer Peterson

No report

MSPSJohn Teale

No report

NSGICTony Spicci

No report

Data Sharing Discussion

  • Have covered all the topics
  • Take topics individually and develop a statement on each one over time
    • Do we have people interested in drafting statements
    • Position statement versus guidance document
    • SampleMOUs, etc.
  • Discussion of what kind of documents should be written
  • Steve M, Tim H, Pam K, Mark D, Gary M will draft a position statement

Round Table Discussionall

Debbie B: next Wednesday is GIS Day, we’ll be having an open house at 930 Wildwood. Hands-on demonstrations, etc.
Matt H: been on the job 9 weeks, working hard on 2010 Census issues
Tim B: have delivery #2 going toMoDOT, got delivery #1 back from Ray and will be out soon. 60% through delivery #3, 20% through delivery #4.
Arnold W: have road conditions on web site
Greg R: new Jefferson City/Cole County data web site
Kim B: will be at St. Louis Community College for GIS Day. Some people may have incorrect renewals forArcGISSingle-use.

Announcement of next meeting

December 13, 2007 @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Adjourned at 11:46 am

 

 

Comments are closed.