Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – December 13, 2007

Department of ConservationTraining Building-9:00 am

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:05am

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Mark Duewellpresent
Tim Haithcoatpresent

State Members

Debbie Briedwellpresent
Colin Duewellexcused
David Finchabsent
Bobbie Sue Koellingpresent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tony Spiccipresent
Beth Struempfpresent
Mike Sutherlandabsent
Becky Veitexcused
Arnold Williamspresent

Cooperating Members

Elizabeth Cookpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent (proxy for Colin Duewell)
Mike Duncanabsent
Ray Foxpresent
Dawn Hilderbrandabsent
Pam KelrickVice-chairpresent
Curtis Koonsabsent
Kevin Kuhlmannpresent
Steve MarshChairpresent
Gary Mookpresent
Greg Reszpresent
Ed Siegmundabsent
Kim Swisherabsent
Diane Truepresent

Other Attendees

Mark Allen, Lafayette County 911/GIS
Tim Donze, Surdex
Melissa Johnson, Cole County GIS
JimLaScala
Brian Parr, MARC
Donna Rehagen, DSS (proxy for Becky Veit)
Renee Robinson, Missouri National Guard

Approval of the Minutes

November Minutes on the web site. Motion by Ray F, Second Bobbie Sue K, approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

Announcements/Executive Activity

No Report

By-laws

Changes to bylaws to add a Treasurer submitted by Diane True in accordance with the bylaws. Reading of the changes to the bylaws:

  • The treasurer shall:
    • have custody of the funds of MGISAC;
    • maintain a full account of the funds of MGISAC;
    • make disbursements as authorized by the chairman, board, or MGISAC in accordance with the budget adopted by MGISAC;
    • have checks signed by the treasurer and chairman ;
    • cause to be kept a full and accurate account of the receipts and disbursements in the books belonging to MGISAC;
    • provide a financial statement at each meeting;
    • present an annual report of the financial condition of the organization;
    • be responsible for preparing or having prepared IRS forms at the proper time;
    • submit the books for an audit annually and upon the resignation or removal of the treasurer or any other authorized bank account signatory.

Liz C concerned about section H. Related experience from another organization where IRS forms were not filed. Diane T relates that the governing law is changing and that everyone will have to file. Discussion of everyone’s take on the law. Steve M recommends removing formal stipulations, and that first task of the Treasurer would be to determine the standing of the committee. Suggestion from Jeff S to do the work first and then amend the bylaws. Liz C willing to do that work. Steve M reintroducing need to approve money for 50 States meeting. Bylaws changes tabled indefinitely. More discussion; does creating a Treasurer position cross a threshold of formality that would require filing for a particular status?

Nominations

Names have been forwarded to Dan Ross and still in process. Discussion about multiple membership from a single agency. Topic came up due to Eric Foster fromMoDOTvolunteering to chair the Strategic Planning.

State GIO ReportTim Haithcoat

Western half Imagery for the State RFP is out. Will probably be amended to change the due date (presently very close to Christmas). State EOC up and operational for ice storm. Not much data there; plan to push data to SEMA servers. Precinct mapping going on for state redistricting. Getting a lot of good contacts through that process. LIDAR meeting will be scheduled to write/review sections of an RFP. Cadastral standards development will be restarted and completed by March or April for some planned legislation. Fifty States grant is slowly coming together. Graphic design bid came in extremely high and will have to be redone. Meeting dates for 50 States: January 10 (Central), January 16 (Springfield), January 22 (Kirksville), February 19 (Cape Girardeau), February 27 (MARC), March 11 (EWGW), plus one more meeting in the Northwest and a final central meeting. Question from Pam K about LIDAR standards. Tim H replies that some planning is required to get it right as we only want to do it once. Discussion of geodetics and ground control. Question of what will happen to any extra money from Imagery for the State; plans are being drawn up. Question about the availability of the cadastre standard; not yet, explanation of status. Ray F: what is the role of the Data Development subcommittee in all this? Tim H: we cannot afford this twice, so we’re setting up the conditions and environment to succeed the first time. Discussion. Steve M: what happened to the previous cadastral standard? Tim H: it was a parcel id exchange standard. Discussion. Jeff S: what is the status of the ESRI grant? Tim H: talking about calling it done and moving server and software to Public Safety.

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox/Jeff Schloss

Cancelled meeting due to weather; will try to reschedule before January 10th. Block 3 of Eastern imagery will be available soon; block 2 has been QA’ed. Planning to have final delivery by February. Would welcome the opportunity to be involved in LIDAR, cadastral, geodetic efforts.

Funding & GrantsPam Kelrick

Want to convene a steering committee meeting; message will go out today. That meeting will determine the agenda for the January 10 meeting. Tim H: have some documents to send out to help prepare for the meeting. Ray F: have you sent out the letters of invitation yet? Pam K: no, letter has been drafted. Need a few more names. Mark D: there will be a teleconference option available. Discussion about webcasting.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementTim Haithcoat

Project Homeland has been approved; meetings will take place in the first two weeks of January. Will brief Public Safety Directors on GIS including funding on December 20th. Briefing will be published on the web.

Local Government GroupGreg Resz

Diesel spill from tanker explosion was contained thanks to GIS stormwater map!

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell/David Drum

Working on the Bootheel meeting; met with RPC and SEMO staff. Good news: they want to expand it and will cover hotel rooms (for presenters) and meal; agenda worked out just fine. Good mix of speakers. Need to work out money from MGISAC and MAGIC sources.

Strategic PlanningLiz Cook

Pam K: Annual (at this point, six-month) work plan needs to be dealt with. Concerned about Eric Foster being on the short end of a “delegation without representation” dynamic. Tim H: attended the most recent ITAB meeting and directed them to the annual report on the web site.

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

No Report

Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

No Report

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

Have some datasets from DNR and a dataset fromMoDOTto post. Working on a CAP grant focused on structures in the Southeast; SEMO and BootheelRPCsparticipating. Martin Wills’ mother passed away recently. Still working on uncompressing the NAIP’07.

Missouri GIS Conference

Tony will Chair the conference. Need a Save-the-Date card ready by MAGIC. Discussion of how many to print. Cards are 40c for 1000 or 28c for 3000.

MAGIC Symposium Committee

Conference coming up in April; agenda pretty much set. Workshops are set; preliminary program going out in the next week or two. Will have to decide who receives complimentary registrations. Will be a workshop on RAMONA paid for through a grant and are looking to have local government attendees.

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

Have an opportunity to submit topics for an upcoming NAIP planning meeting. Want NAIP to consider going back to CIR; consider a leaf-off product; consider something besides MRSID; consider providing metadata in a format that will import intoArcGIS. Are not being considered forFY08flights unless there is state participation; working under the assumption that our focus is on leaf-off and have not pursued this. Working mostly on easement program; having issues of data quality when importing surveyed parcels. Tim B: it is not much more expensive to upgrade from 1m to 2ft. Seems to be a strong movement in USDA to move away from ESRI to in-house development which I will be resisting.

Federal/USGSRay Fox

No budget so no partnerships.

MACOGEd Siegmund

No Report

MORAPDiane True

No Report

MMAJennifer Peterson

No Report

MSPSJohn Teale

No Report

NSGICTony Spicci

Moving forward on mid-year. Combining our Capitol Hill visit with MAPPS this year. Still have not heard back about the National Geospatial Advisory Committee. Imagery for the Nation remains the highest legislative priority for NSGIC, will probably work it into the Hill visit.IftNsuffering from lack of Farm Bill. Google and Microsoft crashed the NSGIC annual about getting state data. Spoke to principals from both entities; have a good relationship with Google, not sure about Microsoft. Google willing to work with NSGIC onIftN. Google will sponsor mid-year and annual at some level. Microsoft doesn’t get it. Will try to head off model law with other stakeholders.

Data SharingSteve Marsh

Links to a dozen or sodata sharing agreements and policies on the web site. All states have done is set up guidelines and best practices. Actual data sharing agreements are from counties and cities.

Round Table Discussionall

Steve M: Jackson county has two GIS positions open that will be posted on MSDIS
Pam K: I will send out the email today about the steering committee.
Tim D: January 24 Surdex will have a seminar on LIDAR; invitiations going out.
Jim L: Now working for Gr-Schm; will continue to be active.
Jeff S: Received a modest grant from USGS for some data development which will be out soon.
Diane T: straw poll on CIR vs Natural? tending towards CIR
Tim D: you can get both with a digital camera for a little more money
David D: I have re-enrolled as a graduate student at Mizzou to work on the Graduate GIS certificate.

Announcement of next meeting

January 10, 2008 @ TBD

Adjournment

Adjourned at 11:40 am

 

 

Comments are closed.