Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – May 14, 2009

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building9:00 a.m.

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:13 a.m.

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Mark Duewellpresent
Tim Haithcoatpresent

State Members

Debbie Briedwellpresent
Colin Duewellabsent
Matt Hesserabsent
Renee Robinsonpresent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tracy Schlosspresent
Tony Spiccipresent
Beth Struempfpresent
Mike Sutherlandabsent
Arnold Williamsexcused

Cooperating Members

Aaron Addisonpresent
Mark Allenpresent
Elizabeth CookTreasurerpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Ray FoxVice-chairexcused
Pam Kelrickpresent
Kevin Kuhlmannpresent
Jim LaScalapresent
Steve MarshChairpresent
Greg Reszpresent
Ed Siegmundabsent
Diane Truepresent

Other Attendees

Bailey Asher, Custom Meeting Planners
Steve Branch, MDC
Brock Buerck, DED
Leslie Chamberlin, Camden County
Joe Clayton, MSPS
Arthur Crawford, ESRI
Tim Donze, Surdex
Jason Ebersole, MoDOT (proxy for Arnold Williams)
Joe Eckmann, ESRI
Donald Martin, MSPS
Kyle Mormann, MDC
Jamie Schieber, Custom Meeting Planners
Gary Voss, MDC
Andy Wagner, City of Maryland Heights
Shannon White, University of Missouri

Approval of the Minutes

April minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Tracy S, seconded by Debbie B, approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

State GIO ReportTim Haithcoat

Tracking stimulus package (ARRA) funds. Take a look at it; there is a lot of money being talked about. Paid internships program from the Governor’s office. Good opportunity for a summer intern. Met yesterday about broadband mapping and the broadband initiative. Local governments should make sure they identify sites needing connectivity. Submitted a proposal for image-based control through surveyor’s groups. Not section corners, but visible landmarks. Planning on doing some mapping support for the 2010 census, cooperating with local government. Need to identify growth from the end of June through November. Census bureau is gathering addresses since March, but they stop canvassing in June. Need to collect addresses after June and figure out how to get these clusters to the Census bureau. Missouri is +/- 60,000 people of a congressional district. Liz C: all these projects are stimulus funds? Tim: they are all stimulus funds or budget stabilization funds. Liz: all this is being done through the University? Tim: no, we are setting up a service bureau of resources across the state. Liz: we need to get out the word that this is going to stimulate more than just the academic community. Jeff S: where do the new member letters stand? Tim: four people have been removed from the committee and replacements are pending. Letters are with the right person; expect them all by next month. Description of how the Office of Geospatial Information is being set up. Discussion.

By-laws

No revisions

Nominations

Mark D: will have offices to fill in July. Please ask people you are considering nominating if they are interested. Nominations will open at the June 11 meeting. Elections take place in August. Steve M: people interested in determining membership criteria should contact him.

Project Updates

Review of 2009 conference and set action item for 2011

Mark D: overview of conference calls. Final report out in the next week or two, with overview at next meeting. Only early warning item is the suggestion of moving the conference around. Steve M: any investigation of other sites should happen quickly. Extended discussion. Motion from Tony S to request a contract for services from Custom Meeting Planners to provide hotel proposals in Columbia and the Lake of the Ozarks area that meet the Missouri GIS Conference requirements. Seconded by Kevin K. Extended discussion. Friendly amendment from Kevin K to extend search to St. Louis, Kansas City, Springfield, and Branson, not to exceed $4,500, as an extension to the existing contract with Custom Meeting Planners. Extended discussion. Call to question. Motion failed unanimously. Motion from Liz C to have Tim H determine if he as GIO or the CIO Office can sign the next contract with Tan-Tar-A. Seconded by Jim L. Approved by vote. Discussion about how to pay CMP to reserve 2011 dates at Tan-Tar-A. Motion from Tony S to have CMP reserve 2011 dates at Tan-Tar-A and work with the GIO to secure a contract, not to exceed $1,000 taken from the proceeds of the 2009 conference.

Discussion Topic/Presentation

Development of 2009 work plan and subcommittee plans discussion

  1. 1. Make GIS activities in Missouri more discoverable
  2. 2. New marketing materials
  3. 3. Refresh and revise existing standards
  4. 4. Improve GIS Day at the Capitol
  5. 5. Attempt to acquire HLS Grant Funding
  6. 6. Promote use of data sharing agreement to acquire data for State database
  7. 7. Acquire opinion from AGO for data sharing agreement
  8. 8. Create new standards for areas like ArcGIS Server that have not been completed
  9. 9. Maintain regional meeting

10. Statewide aerial photography

11. Permanent, full-time GIO

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox

Tim H: we are developing a state plan for LiDAR

FinanceLiz Cook

Balance of $11,956.71. No invoice expenditures. Liz, Jamie, and Tim discussed how to get MOGIS09 funds to MGISAC.

Funding & GrantsPam Kelrick, Tony Spicci, Mark Duewell

No report

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementDebbie Briedwell

No report

Local Government GroupMark Allen

Have $50,000 grant through RSOCs to fly Region A. Will complement data collected last year.

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell

Had a successful Emergency Response workshop at Washington University in St. Louis. Survey going out to participants soon. Had an impressive number of first responders, 60% or better. Had some participants from Illinois. One downside is that because participants have no financial commitment, quite a few did not show, and there was a lot of extra food. No-shows were, unfortunately, disproportionately from academia. Discussion.

Strategic PlanningEric Foster

No report

Missouri GIS ConferenceTony Spicci

Covered

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

Virtual test server for image server is up. PO for GIS software being processed.

Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

Tim H: expecting a conference report on HB376. Language has not yet made it into SB386; might go into SB539. Discussion of amendments to remove law enforcement information from GIS/Assessor records (SB1034). Discussion.

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

Local, eastern Missouri data from USGS going up soon. Metadata work ongoing. Rural GIS Summit registration now stands at 60. Discussion of incomplete western Missouri imagery. Jeff S. requested MrSIDs of all counties whether they are complete or not. Tim H. will send plan to MGISAC before next meeting.

MAGIC ConsortiumTony Spicci

No report

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

Working on upgrading 2010 NAIP to four-band CIR. Upgrade will cost upwards of $200,000. Also, state will not get uncompressed data unless they contribute at least $107,000. LiDAR conference for midwestern states in August in Lincoln, Nebraska. Considering including a vendor area, but have to work within Federal regulations.

Federal/USGSRay Fox

Tim H: State partnership meeting in two weeks. New National Map policy going back to blanket, not quilt, approach. Discussion.

Missouri Resource Assessment PartnershipDiane True

Working on a new landcover for southeastern Missouri, St. Louis to the bootheel. Draft out in the next couple weeks.

Missouri Mappers AssociationJim LaScala

Conference coming up in August, flyers out. Week before Labor Day.

Missouri Society of Professional SurveyorsJohn Teale

Don Martin: Spring conference was last week. Board of Directors meeting covered legislation. Finalized scholarship selection. Encourage students to take a look at it. Increasing participation in the State Fair in conjunction with the DNR. Fall meeting October 11-12. SB386 going to the floor this afternoon.

National States Geographic Information CouncilTim Haithcoat

Got good exposure with Virginia’s emergency management group. Building elevation plan on Kansas’ plan.

Round Table Discussionall

Shannon White: geospatial summer camp at MIZZOU grades 6-9.
Tracy Schloss: some swine flu work, not much.

Announcement of next meeting

June 11, 2009 @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Adjourned at 11:37

Comments are closed.