Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – July 9, 2009

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building9:00 a.m.

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:05 a.m.

Welcome and Introduction of Members and Attendees

Ex-Officio Members

Mark Duewellpresent
Tim Haithcoatexcused

State Members

Debbie Briedwellpresent
Colin Duewellpresent
Matt Hesserexcused
Renee Robinsonpresent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tracy Schlosspresent
Tony Spiccipresent
Beth Struempfpresent
Arnold Williamspresent

Cooperating Members

Aaron Addisonpresent
Mark Allenexcused
Leslie Chamberlinpresent
Elizabeth CookTreasurerpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Ray FoxVice-chairpresent
Ming-Shih Hungpresent
Pam Kelrickexcused
Kevin Kuhlmannabsent
Jim LaScalapresent
Steve MarshChairpresent
Greg Reszpresent
Diane Trueabsent

Other Attendees

Lindell Bates, Sanborn
Tim Bohn, Surdex
Tim Donze, Surdex
Joe Eckmann, ESRI
Hillary Perkins, EWGW
Chuck Rackers, ITSD-DESE
Andy Wagner, Maryland Heights
Shannon White, University of Missouri

Approval of the Minutes

June minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Ray F, seconded by Tony S, approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

State GIO ReportTim Haithcoat

No report. Discussion about proposed plan for GIO office.

By-laws

No revisions submitted by the ten-day cutoff.

Nominations

Mark D: nominations are open. None have yet been received. Please get them in by July 31.

Project Updates

Update on strategic goals for 2009-2010

[missed]

Membership committee, guidance document

Membership Committee Charter handout. Discussion. Steve offered to send for comment.

Discussion Topic/Presentation

None

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox

Meet next Tuesday, hoping to get good participation. Draft of elevation plan, based on Kansas’ plan. Meeting with APFO at 10 a.m. to discuss control to use to validate NAIP imagery. Time to find partners for the Corps of Engineers’ LiDAR project in the Mississippi valley nearly out. Andy Wagner: St. Louis Regional Imagery Consortium kicked off, most interest in 6-inch resolution. Steve M: is there money to develop the Elevation Plan? Ray: [ask Ray] Aaron A: mentioned a couple organizations that might participate in the LiDAR project. Discussion.

FinanceLiz Cook

One expense, $63.30 for refreshments at two regional meetings. Received revenue from the Missouri GIS conference, $18,489.36. Balance of $30,078.77. Discussion about long-term financial plans. Discussion about an insurance policy to protect against conference risk.

Funding & GrantsPam Kelrick, Tony Spicci, Mark Duewell

Discussion of broadband mapping news.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementDebbie Briedwell

Will probably cancel next week’s meeting due to ESRI User Conference. HSAC will be meeting to decide how to spend the next pool of money. Steve M: does anyone know about this “huge” exercise that is supposed to be happening in Kansas City this summer? Discussion. Renee will follow up. Debbie B: there is a big exercise coming up in September, but it isn’t a dirty bomb in KC.

Local Government GroupMark Allen

No report

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell

Attended the Northwest User group “Pony Express Geospatial User Group”. 29 people, 5 colleges represented. St. Louis Regional Imagery Consortium off to a very good start. A lot of first responders in attendance, a lot of Chiefs, and utilities. Presented at the St. Louis ArcInfo User Group. Have been asked to write two articles for Directions magazine. July 15 10:30 room 20 Stewart Hall, MGISAC dial-in number also, to discuss combining MOGIS and MMA. Discussion about dividing costs among imagery consortium participants.

Strategic PlanningEric Foster

No report

Missouri GIS ConferenceTony Spicci

Jamie Schieber: income $65,545.00, expenses $49,059.64, net $18,185.36. Contract with Tan-Tar-A has been negotiated, have same space as last year, lodging costs up $2, other costs the same. Have written up a proposal for conference services in 2011. Discussion about possibility of MMA conference merging with MOGIS.

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

No report

Policy & LegislationTony Spicci

Nothing at the state level; GIS bills did not make it out of committee. COGO will discuss template language for states to use. URISA and GISCI are most interested in the template language. FLAIR act still out there but not going anywhere. HR 2489, May 19 edition, being pushed by AmericaView. They are a consortium of state Views, primarily based on satellite imagery available at a reduced cost. Missouri does not a have View; if it did, it would have to be through a University. Working with Dr. Wang on establishing a Missouri chapter. Bill would fund the program for 5 years. AmericaView history from Ray. Discussion.

MSDIS ActivitesMark Duewell

Fourth quarter report posted on the MSDIS web site. Wenbo very busy with imagery requests; please be patient. Cape Girardeau and Jackson have both signed the data sharing MOU for the structures project. Mailing list subscriptions up.

MAGIC ConsortiumTony Spicci

No report. Steve M mentioned that the MAGIC Symposium Monday night social will be held at the World War I Memorial Museum; highly recommended.

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

Federal/NRCSLiz Cook

Trying to get the NAIP buy-up accomplished. State is 88% flown, four-band, 1-meter. No new news on the CLU.

Federal/USGSRay Fox

USGS ARRA proposal under review. Expect announcement in September. Please let Ray know if you are submitting any plans. There is no matching fund requirement, but if you are putting in money there will be consideration. Flooding projects have a good shot. Discussion of new ESRI topo web service.

Missouri Association of Councils of Government

No report

Missouri Resource Assessment PartnershipDiane True

No report

Missouri Mappers AssociationJim LaScala

MMA conference at the end of July. Encourage everyone to attend, to see how they run their conference.

Missouri Society of Professional SurveyorsJohn Teale

No report

National States Geographic Information CouncilTim Haithcoat

Tony S: officer nominations open, next conference in Cleveland, broadband mapping big, IftN still being pushed, NGAC doing good work. Discussion about state council versus individual membership in NSGIC. Discussion. Motion from David D to pay ($3000) for one-year state membership in NSGIC to be paid out of funds held by MSDIS, seconded by Liz C. Discussion. Motion passes unanimously, one abstention. Discussion about IftN agenda item at August meeting.

Round Table Discussionall

Mark D: nominate officers
Joe E: 25 technical sessions from the UC will be videorecorded and put on ESRI’s web site at the end of July, new GeoMentoring program. Discussion with Jeff S about release date of new ArcGIS Explorer.
Jim L: The Liberty Memorial is the only one in the nation.
Jeff S: there isn’t a link to the strategic plan. Can there be?
Tim B: NAIP about 90% done, can send out a sample if interested.
Arnold W: new state map out by the State Fair.
Shannon W: still have openings for students in the GIS summer camp.

Announcement of next meeting

August 13, 2009 @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 11:41 a.m.

Comments are closed.