Missouri GIS Advisory Committee Minutes – November 18, 2010

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building9:00 a.m.

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:04 a.m.

Welcome and Introductions

Ex-Officio Members

Mark Duewellpresent
Tim Haithcoatpresent

State Members

Debbie Briedwellpresent
Colin Duewellpresent
Matt Hesserabsent
Renee Robinsonpresent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tracy Schlosspresent
Tony SpicciTreasurerpresent
Beth Struempfabsent
Arnold Williamsexcused

Cooperating Members

Aaron Addisonpresent
Mark Allenabsent
Stan Balsmanpresent
Leslie Chamberlinpresent
Elizabeth CookChairpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Ray FoxVice-chairpresent
Ming-Chih Hungexcused
Melissa Johnsonpresent
Steve Marshpresent
Greg Reszabsent
Diane Trueexcused
Andy Wagnerabsent
Shannon Whiteexcused

Other Attendees

Joe Clayton, MSPS
Tim Donze, Surdex
Joe Eckmann, ESRI
Frank Hutto, State Redistricting Office
Matt Gerike, City of Columbia (proxy for MU Extension)
Kevin Kuhlmann, Sanborn
Jamie Schieber, Custom Meeting Planners
Jason Warzinik, Boone County
Kirk Webb, State Redistricting Office

Approval of Minutes

October 14 minutesavailable on the web site. Motion to approve minutes from Tracy Schloss, seconded by Ray Fox, approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

Missouri GIO ReportTim Haithcoat

GIO contract ended at the beginning of October. ITSD is reviewing the contract and the budget. GIO position will change back from three days a week to two due to a half-time position rule violation. Priorities are being reviewed, not public yet, but everything one would expect it to be. One year contract expected to be in place by next month. Cook asked if there was a plan to make the position permanent. Haithcoat explained that the decision is being considered by the OA Commissioner.

MSDIS ReportMark Duewell

Fourth review meeting coming up Tuesday at the University. All work group contributors have provided input. New geoportal and imagery service servers have been received but not deployed. Servers at Kansas are going to come back and become the primary servers in the University’s Telecomm building. Former primary servers will be moved to the University’s North Node building as a backup. Possibility of coordinating server backups withMOREnetat a more remote location. Discussed servingLiDARdata with Addison.

Treasurer’s ReportTony Spicci

Two expenditures in the last month. Approximately $41 for Central Regional Workshop break refreshments. Approximately $100 for mgisac.org renewal for three years.

By-laws

Update on CIO input for private sector membershipTim Haithcoat

No update

MembershipTony Spicci

Stan Balsman and Melissa Johnson are now officially members. Membership subcommittee web page(s) have not yet been created. Membership subcommittee recommends Joe Clayton represent MSPS as organizational member of MGISAC. Motion to that effect from Drum. Second from Briedwell. Approved by vote. Nomination will go up to the GIO for CIO approval.

Project Updates/Action Items

Update on State-Local Government data sharing and the Sunshine Law issuesTim Haithcoat

ITSD meeting with ITSD legal counsel. Counsel has been briefed on all the issues. Expecting to hold a session on GIS and the Sunshine Law at MOGIS 2011. Separate issue of data sharing for public safety being championed by David Finch. Marsh asked in what direction the topic is moving. Haithcoat replied that it was following the Economic Development model where confidential data can be given and not be at risk of disclosure. New legislation will probably be required to fully address the issue. Discussion about different models of data stewardship and disclosure.

MGISAC Web page updateSteve Marsh/Liz Cook (hiring a Webmaster?); domain name payment for www.mgisac.org?

Cook, Marsh, and Amber Reynolds have discussed different options. Reynolds believes that the web site could be redesigned for about $1,500. Maintenance would be negligible if done by Reynolds as part of her job responsibilities. Duewell had contacted Ryan Goss who quoted $800 for a redesign, maintenance uncertain. Discussion about having a central entry point to different Missouri GIS resources. Marsh suggested putting together a list of requirements. Discussion about the direction of the site and the way to request requirements.

Aerial Photography RFP statusTim Haithcoat

RFP has been sent to Fox to send to Data Development members (except vendors, who cannot see the draft RFP according to State rules). Some question about whether everyone has received it. Have received a couple comments. OA Procurement has been contacted and a procurement officer has been identified. Comments are required by December 1. Fox will resend RFP to non-vendor members to ensure they receive it.

GIS Day ProclamationLiz Cook

Cook displayed a proclamation from the Governor. Gov. Nixon commented that he was aware of how much good GIS does for the state. Gov. Nixon’s son is pursuing a dual degree at MU, one of which is Geography.

Insurance for Missouri GIS conferenceLiz Cook

Cook said that all approvals have been obtained but no action has been taken. This needs to get done.

CAP grantproposals due Jan. 6, 2011 Missouri submission?

Adopting tools or mechanisms for identifying the status of data development (i.e. implementing statewide use of the GIS Inventory System to assess Geospatial Platforms within the State)

Improving geospatial data discovery, access, and use through improved coordination mechanisms (i.e. implementing statewide use of the GIS Inventory System maintained by NSGIC)

Discussion about possiblity of submitting a grant. Mention of the relative inactivity of the Funding and Grants subcommittee. Drum mentioned history of seeking out information on behalf of local governments or other entities that may have a hard time finding information on their own, and pursuing grants for the MGISAC itself. Haithcoat mentioned difficulty of the committee getting grants itself (lack of reporting, financials, etc.). MGISAC is well-positioned to write letters of support and the like. Discussion about different grant opportunities. Jeff Schloss suggested disbanding the Funding and Grants subcommittee, establishing a standing round-table agenda item to discuss grant opportunities, and to create working groups as needed to pursue specific grants.

Discussion Topics/Presentations

Clarifying the roles of State GIO, MSDIS Director, GRC Director, etc.Tim Haithcoat

Haithcoat passed out a handout describing the different roles and responsibilities he holds.

University of Missouri

Arts and Sciences, Geography

Geographic Resources Center

Director. Responsible for collaborations with researchers on campus. Responsible for staffing and hiring. Liaison work with MORAP and similar entities. Some project management. No University or State money. All soft money, approximately $2.5m, $400k in salaries. Representative on UCGIS.

Missouri Spatial Data Information Service

Director. Funding comes from OA through University budget. University has provided some supplemental funding. Total approximately $268k. NSGIC liaison. MAGIC liaison.

Engineering, Electrical Engineering

Center for Geospatial Intelligence

Director. Soft money. United States Geospatial Intelligence Foundation. Has secured undergraduate and graduate certificate granting status. About $1m. Lots more he can neither confirm nor deny.

State of Missouri OA-ITSD

Geographic Information Officer

OA Commissioner -> CIO -> GIO. Not a permanent position. Point of contact for all broadband mapping and planning funds. Two of top ten items on weekly IT report are geospatial. Permanent position is not going to happen any time soon. Collaboration-building. Developing funding mechanisms. Standards development. Justifying increased services provided by MSDIS. No staff and no budget. Fox asked about the interaction between GRC and MSDIS. Briedwell asked about an older document detailing what Missouri is missing out on by not having a full-time GIO. General agreement that that document should be updated. Spicci pointed out that Minnesota funded a GIO with office and budget last year largely in part to the support of their geospatial council. Cook expressed surprise that the State was entrusting the broadband project to a part-time individual, and that the State is probably leaning on the University too much to support Tim.

Subcommittee Reports

Missouri GIS ConferenceTony Spicci, Steve Marsh

ArrangementsJamie Schieber

Registration can go live as soon as workshops are finalized. Shooting for December 1 now. Creating a printable, electronic form for registration. Some people have already made room reservations. Room block deadline is January 13.

WorkshopsDavid Drum

11 slots confirmed, 3-6 to go. Discussion about additional topics.

SessionsJeff Schloss

Abstract collection going fairly well. Overview of existing arrangements. Planning another call for participation email next Monday. Discussion about ESRI session track and Tool Times. Brainstorming about other session topics.

SocialDiane True

No report

ExhibitorsTim Donze

Jamie Schieber: Have three exhibitors and one sponsorship. Sent a reminder the third week of October. May send another reminder before the end of the year, but probably best to wait until after the holidays.

PostersMing Hung

No report

AwardsLeslie Chamberlin

Getting close to being able to open awards submissions.

Round Table Discussionall

Tony Spicci: reorganization has added several departments to my responsiblity.
Tim Haithcoat: something about data sharing at the national level
Mark Duewell: Central Regional Workshop went very well, 53 attendees
Ray Fox: reorganized (again). National Enhanced Elevation Assessment: do people wantLiDAR, what will they do with it, should there be a national program. Will be seeking input.
Liz Cook: trying to finalize contract for four counties’ worth ofLiDARsouthwest of St. Louis.

Announcement of next meeting

December 9@ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 12:40 p.m.

Comments are closed.