Missouri GIS Advisory Committee AgendaDecember 9, 2010

Missouri GIS Advisory Committee AgendaDecember 9, 2010


Department of ConservationCredit Union Building9:00 a.m.

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:07

Welcome and Introductions

Ex-Officio Members

Mark Duewellpresent
Tim Haithcoatexcused

State Members

Debbie Briedwellexcused
Colin Duewellpresent
Matt Hesserexcused
Renee Robinsonabsent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tracy Schlosspresent
Tony SpicciTreasurerpresent
Beth Struempfabsent
Arnold Williamspresent

Cooperating Members

Aaron Addisonpresent
Mark Allenexcused
Stan Balsmanpresent
Leslie Chamberlinpresent
Elizabeth CookChairpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Ray FoxVice-chairpresent
Ming-Chih Hungpresent
Melissa Johnsonexcused
Steve Marshpresent
Greg Reszpresent
Diane Trueabsent
Andy Wagnerpresent
Shannon Whitepresent

Other Attendees

Josie Bock, Great River Associates Joe Clayton, MSPS Tim Donze, Surdex Joe Eckmann, ESRI Matt Gerike, City of Columbia Frank Hutto, State Redistricting Office Kevin Kuhlmann, Sanborn Melissa Lanclos Kenny Legleiter, Wilson Co. Amber Reynolds, Jackson County Jamie Schieber, Custom Meeting Planners Jason Warzinik, Boone County Kirk Webb, State Redistricting Office (proxy for Matt Hesser)

Approval of Minutes

November 18 minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Marsh, seconded by Fox, approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

Missouri GIO ReportTim Haithcoat

No report [Haithcoat provided the following afterward via email:]

The contract is finalized for the continuation of the GIO activity for two days per week. The top priorities include: the development and work toward developing state data sharing agreements (possible Sunshine Law changes); Work with and on the parcel mapping standard activity as passed last legislative session; Aerial imagery RFP; and Point-based addressing contracts.

Broadband mapping and is entering a winter field season. The planning aspects continue with the regional planning councils (2 pilots right now). As well, the Broadband Program Office has hired a couple of staff and briefings continue to get everyone up to speed on status and defined roles. The national Broadband Office has tentatively scheduled a national meeting for all state mapping and planning for Feb 15 and 16 – this is not set in stone.

MSDIS ReportMark Duewell

Update on ArcIMS outage that began yesterday and is ongoing. Current hope is to use backup server from Kansas to restore services. ESRI license purchase order should be made soon. LiDAR service still in the works.

Treasurer’s ReportTony Spicci

Report: 1-Detail Income Statement Based on Fund & Deptid. Date: 12-07-2010
Results for Tree:BCM_ACCOUNT_L1 BU:COLUM FY:2011 Mo:Dec. Funds: All Deptid: C1642022-MGISAC (Fiscal Year to Date)
Account Current Month YTD
BEGINNING BALANCE $0.00 $24,945.26
721700 Business mtg exp-food catering $0.00 $235.48
738100 Employees dues to prof assoc $0.00 $2,000.00
739800 Contracts/agreements/license $0.00 $89.55
720001-Department operating expense $0.00 $2,325.03
TOTAL DIRECT COSTS $0.00 $2,325.03
TOTAL EXPENSES $0.00 $2,325.03


No report [Haithcoat provided the following afterward via email:]

No update – did not get to that item in the time that I had with the CIO.

MembershipTony Spicci

Pending nomination for City of Columbia represented by Matt Gerike. Subcommittee will meet briefly after this meeting.

Project Updates/Action Items


Site has been copied from MSDIS server to OA hosting servers (i.e. MOREnet servers) and DNS has been changed as of today to point to new site.

Aerial Photography RFP StatusTim Haithcoat

No report [Haithcoat provided the following afterward via email:]

Received comments on the document from one person and two general comments on the inclusion of other services within this RFP call (ie. planimetrics and Lidar). I will review and apply changes to the final document this weekend and will pass it on to Purchasing on Monday Dec 13.

Insurance for Missouri GIS ConferenceTim Haithcoat

Tim not available and has taken no action. The topic was originally given to Tim because his name (in his OA role) is on the Tan-Tar-A contract. Discussion. Motion from Chamberlin for Cook and possibly Spicci to negotiate with Naught-Naught Agency for a policy. Friendly amendment from White to schedule Haithcoat’s time for meeting with Naught-Naught. Seconded by Marsh. Approved by vote. [Haithcoat provided the following afterward via email:]

I have not met with Liz to complete this task.

MSDIS ReviewLiz Cook

Have concluded four “State of MSDIS” sessions with interested parties. Full report on outcome of the review from Cook and Addison in January. Discussion about MSDIS finances.

Discussion Topics/Presentations

Missouri GIS ConferenceSteve Marsh et al

Spicci: Conference registration is now open. Please register. Have $4,200 (20) registered of $48,000 (175) budgeted in registrations. Please register soon. Discussion about how to handle registrations from organizations who do not have money until January 1. Schieber: Draft of conference brochure available later today; will go out to content providers for edits.

ProgramJeff Schloss

After reviewing session submissions, the concept of Tool Time sessions has been eliminated. No sessions were rejected. This will have a minimal fiscal impact and will remove any grounds for complaints from service providers. Draft schedule passed around for review and comment. Discussion about session moderators; Schloss will ask speakers if they are willing to moderate the sessions they are in.

PublicityAmber Reynolds

Keeping the conference web site up to date. Please send any web site changes to Amber directly.

SocialDiane True

True not in attendance. Schieber will try to contact her again.

WorkshopsDavid Drum

“My cup runneth over.” Sixteen workshops scheduled, 14 of which are labs. Something for everyone. Thank you very much to all the workshop instructors.

  • Getting Started with GIS (two offerings)
  • Avoiding Cartostrophe: Cartography Basics for the GIS Professional
  • Web Development and Design
  • Open Source GIS
  • Maximize your data from CAD to GIS
  • ESRI ModelBuilder
  • Map Book
  • Rural Point-based Addressing: Best Practices and Funding Overview
  • Using GPS for GIS Data Maintenance
  • Absolute Beginners Python
  • Processing and Managing LiDAR Data
  • What’s in a Pixel: an Introduction to Remote Sensing
  • Introduction to Customizing ArcGIS
  • US National Grid
  • ESRI Geodatabases

ExhibitsTim Donze

Have begun contacting potential exhibitors, starting with MOGIS 2009 and MAGIC 2010 exhibitors. Mixed responses yes/maybe/no. At this time, one sponsor, two commercial and two non-profit exhibitors.

PostersMing Hung

Seven posters submitted, sending out additional call for submissions. No project showcase slides yet.

AwardsLeslie Chamberlin

Call for nominations is open. Please submit your peers for an award. Have selected a source for trophies.

Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox

Met in November. Comments to Tim Haithcoat on ortho project. Imagery for St. Louis and St. Charles are nearing completion and expected at USGS this month. Cole, Callaway, Osage LiDAR has been accepted and will be posted soon. Meramec Valley LiDAR project looks like it will happen, this will be a siginificant project. May not meet in December depending on schedules.

Funding & GrantsLiz Cook

Discussion about recommendation to drop this subcommittee. No objections.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementDebbie Briedwell

No report

Local Government GroupMark Allen

Chamberlin: focusing on the education realm; planning for the Local Government track at MOGIS 2011.

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell

Have a location for the Southwest Regional Conference, targeted for April 28. Workgroup will meet by teleconference after the first of the year; there’s still time to sign up to help.

Policy & LegislationJoe Clayton

State funding situation bad, with another $600 million of cuts, but there are some opportunities. Expecting a new head of DNR in January.

Strategic PlanningShannon White/Jeff Schloss

No report

Liaison Reports

GIT Architecture (MAEA)Tim Haithcoat

No report [Haithcoat provided the following afterward via email:]

I would suggest removing this from the agenda as there is no coordinated active program at this point. The ‘closest’ activity would be the parcel mapping standards with a TBD date on that activity.

MAGIC ConsortiumSteve Marsh

MAGIC budget approved last week. Have moved to having a two-year budget. Have approved a grant-funding process.

NSGICTim Haithcoat

Spicci: Mid-year meeting coming up in March. Really focusing on the Geospatial Platform. [Haithcoat provided the following afterward via email:]

Mid-year meeting in Annapolis is open for registration. I will be asking for travel support to attend from the CIO. Focus is on the Geospatial Platform document. I assume that A16 elements will also be discussed.

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

NRCSLiz Cook

No report


Operating at 90% of last year’s budget. Have had a major realignment, new supervisor.

Missouri Resource Assessment PartnershipDiane True

No report

Missouri Mappers AssociationMelissa Johnson

No report

Missouri Society of Professional SurveyorsJoe Clayton

Quarterly business meeting last week. Positive response to offer of MSPS membership on the MGISAC.

Round Table Discussionall

Kirk Webb: redistricting office very busy, may offer some web services in the future.
Andy Wagner: looking forward to the imminent receipt of imagery.
Jeff Schloss: SAG members please come to next week’s meeting for an important discussion regarding an imagery server. 1 p.m. Thursday Truman building room 280B
Joe Eckmann: ESRI has announced a technical certification program. Find out more on the ESRI web site.
Steve Marsh: have received all MARC photography from March.
Ray Fox: New Madrid workshop proceedings are now available.

Announcement of next meeting

January 13 @ Conservation Credit Union


Meeting adjourned at 11:21 a.m.

Comments are closed.