Missouri GIS Advisory Committee MinutesJanuary 13, 2011

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building9:00 a.m.

Call to Order

Meeting called to order at 9:04 a.m.

Welcome and Introductions


Ex-Officio Members
Mark Duewellpresent
Tim Haithcoatpresent

State Members
Debbie Briedwellpresent
Colin Duewellpresent
Matt Hesserexcused
Renee Robinsonpresent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tracy Schlosspresent
Tony SpicciTreasurerpresent
Beth Struempfpresent
Arnold Williamspresent

Cooperating Members
Aaron Addisonpresent
Mark Allenabsent
Stan Balsmanpresent
Leslie Chamberlinpresent
Joe Claytonexcused
Elizabeth CookChairpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Ray FoxVice-chairpresent
Ming-Chih Hungpresent
Melissa Johnsonpresent
Steve Marshpresent
Greg Reszabsent
Diane Truepresent
Andy Wagnerabsent
Shannon Whitepresent

Other Attendees
Don Martin, MSPS (proxy for Joe Clayton)
Josie Bock, Great River Engineering
Stan Balzman, SEMO RPC
Joe Eckmann, ESRI
Kirk Webb, State Redistricting Office (proxy for Matt Hesser)
Tim Donze, Surdex
Jason Warzinik, Boone Co
Matt Gerike, City of Columbia
Chris Wieberg, Conservation
Kevin Kuhlmann, Sanborn
Brock Buerck, MOANG
Jamie Schieber, Custom Meeting Planners
Paul Wright, ITSD
2 people from DHSS on the phone

Presentation by Missouri Chief Information OfficerDoug Young

Changes within ITSD. Enhancing consolidation effort. Downsizing ITSD director group. Recognize importance of GIS efforts within the State. Have asked Paul Wright to fill role of Director of GIS. Wright and Haithcoat will work together to transfer knowledge. Wright will be reviewing extent of GIS within the State.

Question & Answer Session with Mr. Youngall

Robinson requested not to limit Wright’s survey of GIS to ITSD agencies. Young agreed. Fox asked what the division of labor would be between Wright and Haithcoat. Young said that was still being worked out. Cook asked what the role of the MGISAC would be. Young said that the committee remains important and necessary. Wright said that he would become a regular attendee. Young said Haithcoat is still under contract with the title of GIO. Fox said that we have had a hard time getting traction with business cases, etc.; would that work become part of your role? Wright said that yes, that was a possibility, and that all activities would be worked on by priority. Question from DHSS telephone attendee if GIS staff would be centrally supervised by Director of GIS and if staff would be physically located together. Young replied that supervision would be coming but that nothing would be done just to upset the apple cart.

Approval of Minutes

December 9 minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Spicci, seconded by White, approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration

Missouri GIO ReportTim Haithcoat/Paul Wright
Haithcoat: Met with State Tax Commission about imagery funding; the State is still looking for things to cut, not to fund. Will probably have to align effort with Assessor’s group and get others to advocate for regular funding for 2- or 3- year cycle. Another Data Sharing meeting tomorrow. Sunshine Law will probably have to be modified; could take 18 months. Wright: getting up to speed. Donze: what is the status of the Aerial Photography RFP? Haithcoat: in process, getting close. Has been put on the back burner from time to time since there is no funding. Donze: has it been expanded to LiDAR or elevation? Haithcoat: no. Haithcoat has submitted a fast-track proposal with Duewell and White for $90,000 on the issue of archiving, electronic records, and the idea of a permanent State record.

MSDIS ReportMark Duewell
MSDIS 2nd Quarter Report and Fiscal Sheet are on the MSDIS web site. Equipment is now all racked awaiting configuration and testing. Server configuration has begun. LiDAR data partnership node is now up at Washington University in St. Louis. 2010 NAIP has been posted. Had to take down the most recent IR data in order to make space. If you need the IR data, please contact Duewell. Discussion about creating a shapefile showing available LiDAR data.

Treasurer’s ReportTony Spicci

No expenditures. Closing balance $22,610.10.

By-laws

Will have to address Wright’s appointment as Director of GIS.

MembershipTony Spicci

Have not heard from CIO regarding MSPS membership (Joe Clayton)

City of Columbia represented by Matt Gerike
Nomination read by Spicci. Motion to approve from Drum, seconded by Marsh, approved by vote. Nomination will go to CIO for approval.

Project Updates/Action Items

MGISAC Web SiteDavid Drum
Production MGISAC web site has been moved off legacy MSDIS server to MOREnet servers (which host the majority of State web sites). Questions regarding the existing and comparable web sites have gone to focus group.

Aerial Photography RFP StatusTim Haithcoat
Covered in GIO report.

Insurance for Missouri GIS ConferenceLiz Cook
Received a bid for $835 for policy from Naught Naught. Language was incomprehensible; bid abandoned. NSGIC policy provider was contacted; $350 policy will cover a fairly open-ended weather cancellation liability. Payment has been sent; almost done with this issue. [Applause]

MSDIS ReviewAaron Addison
Wrote up a draft list of comments from meetings to go to MSDIS. Have comments back to Addison or Cook by next Wednesday.

Discussion Topics/Presentations
Missouri GIS ConferenceTony Spicci
Thank you to all who have registered. 111 registered in one or more categories (were at 180 in 2009); 80 conference registrations (goal was 130); 8 of 20 exhibitors (but 2 platinum sponsors); 4 of 4 non-profit booths and MAGIC booth still to be registered; $2,800 behind on exhibitors; $5,030 behind on workshop registrations. Total off budgeted by $20,000. Hotel block at 49%. Difficulties have been reported reserving a hotel room on-line; Tan-Tar-A to be contacted. Please contact Jamie right away with any further hotel reservation difficulties. Discussion about getting numbers up. Please make hotel reservations if you haven’t yet. Please send Why to Register Top Ten list ideas to Spicci.

Workshops
Workshop attendance numbers given. Too early to cancel ones with low attendance.

Social
Wine reception on Monday night with vendors; planning games/activities. Brainstorming/discussion.

Exhibitors
Will make another push now that we are past the holidays. Expect a few more at the last minute.

Awards
Have selected the Outstanding Contribution nomination. Have a nomination for the Lewis and Clark award. Nomination read and discussed. Vote taken. Request from Chamberlin for additional $250 for Lewis and Clark award. Duewell commented that additional funds were allocated for the prior Lewis and Clark award. Motion from Drum to allocate $250 for the Lewis and Clark award, seconded by Colin Duewell, approved by vote.

Posters
There are seven poster and two student poster submissions. No submissions received yet for the Project Showcase.

Program
Program is done, barring any workshops being cancelled from lack of attendance. When asked there was no interest among members to hold Ignite Session so there will not be one at this conference.

Subcommittee Reports


Data DevelopmentRay Fox
The Meramec River Basin LiDAR project with USGS, DNR, NRCS, and SEMA is progressing. The USGS did not approve a proposal to collect LiDAR for Dent County at the higher resolution, it will be flown and processed to meet SEMA’s 4 foot contour accuracy requirement. Fox has a proposal in to collect LiDAR for the Ozark National Scenic Riverways with the NationalPark Service. Fox is working on the NDEP high resolution elevation inventory, when complete it will be added to MSDIS’s data repository.

Homeland Security/Emergency ManagementDebbie Briedwell
Met on Tuesday, mostly by phone. Mapbooks are really moving ahead, available through Delta State, working to get available in other channels. Project file will be available for ArcGIS 9.3. National Grid begin developed as an on-line session. NLE earthquake exercise in May. Navteq road data available to state and local EOCs for HSIP.

Local Government GroupMark Allen
Chamberlin: preparing for the Local Government portion of the conference.

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell
Southwest Regional Workshop in Branson Recplex on April 21. Steve Marsh commented that MAGIC funding for this project had not rolled forward into MAGIC’s new two year “austerity” budget. Since the MAGIC grant had been for a not to exceed amount of $2000 – and for a total of 4 workshops – this was perplexing. So far two workshops have been held – a third is coming together for the Southwest (Branson). Mark is hoping to clarify the non-availability of these funds.

Policy & LegislationJoe Clayton
Martin: Working to determine how to promulgate rules for the cadastral mapping standards that passed the legislature last year.

Strategic PlanningShannon White/Jeff Schloss
Did not meet last month. Will meet in the last week of January.

Liaison Reports


MAGIC ConsortiumSteve Marsh

Two-year budget passed in December. Moving budget cycle and length to match only source of income for MAGIC (the Symposium).

NSGICTim Haithcoat
Mid-year meeting registration open.

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports

NRCSLiz Cook
Very busy pushing data out, NAIP 2010, NAIP 2010 CIR.

USGSRay Fox
First ever National Map Users Conference in Denver at the Federal Center, May 21-23. Have signed a contract with SPOTimage for North America imagery for free from SPOT 4 and SPOT 5; only minimally processed, you will need NED to clean up. Historic and new postings. earthexplorer.usgs.gov

Missouri Resource Assessment PartnershipDiane True
Working on a new public areas database. If you have public land and have not yet been contacted, you will be. Planned completion data before the end of the calendar year. MORAP meeting on the 26th. J. Schloss: please also submit public land data to MSDIS.

Missouri Mappers AssociationMelissa Johnson
Will send out a message to members promoting the Missouri GIS Conference. Willing to co-sponsor the Central regional workshop. Interested in booth space swap. Motion from Chamberlin to allow MMA to trade booth space at respective conferences if space is available, seconded by Schloss, approved by vote.

Missouri Society of Professional SurveyorsJoe Clayton
Martin: MSPS meeting with Design Alliance on January 26th. Hosting legislative breakfast and outreach day.

Round Table Discussionall

Briedwell: starting up a couple projects using KML and KMZ; if you have any experience with these formats, please get in touch.

Announcement of next meeting

February 10? @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 11:42 a.m.

Comments are closed.