Missouri GIS Advisory Committee MinutesMarch 10, 2011

Department of ConservationCredit Union Building9:00 a.m.

Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:00 a.m.

Welcome and Introductions
Ex-Officio Members
Mark Duewellpresent
Tim Haithcoatpresent
Paul Wrightpresent

State Members

Debbie Briedwellpresent
Colin Duewellexcused
Matt Hesserexcused
Renee Robinsonpresent
Jeff Schlosspresent
Tracy Schlosspresent
Tony SpicciTreasurerpresent
Beth Struempfpresent
Arnold Williamsabsent

Cooperating Members
Aaron Addisonpresent via teleconference
Stan Balsmanabsent
Leslie Chamberlinpresent
Elizabeth CookChairpresent
David DrumSecretarypresent
Ray FoxVice-chairpresent
Ming-Chih Hungpresent via teleconference
Melissa Johnsonpresent
Steve Marshpresent
Greg Reszexcused
Diane Truepresent via teleconference
Andy Wagnerexcused
Shannon Whiteexcused

Other Attendees
Joe Clayton, MSPS
Matt Gerike, City of Columbia (proxy for Shannon White and Greg Resz)
Kevin Kuhlmann, Sanborn
Jason Warzinik, Boone Co
Kirk Webb, State Redistricting Office (proxy for Matt Hesser and Colin Duewell)

Announcement
Cook related that Spicci has been appointed to the NGAC.

Approval of Minutes
February 10 minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Jeff Schloss, seconded by Ray Fox and Tracy Schloss. Approved by vote.

MGISAC Administration
Missouri GIO ReportTim Haithcoat/Paul Wright
Wright: Working on an acknowledgement contract for hiring interns. Working on the OGI Strategic Plan. Meeting with the CIO next week. Haithcoat: Working on the aerial imagery contracts. Getting input from recent imagery project in St. Louis, Indiana state contract. Working on point-based addressing contracting mechanism. No update on the data sharing/Sunshine Law effort, having difficulty getting priority for this item.

MSDIS ReportMark Duewell
Discussing moving imagery services at the State to MSDIS. Met with DNR and MoDOT. Worked with Dan Haag from ESRI on the image server. Exploring increased bandwidth from the State to MSDIS. Set up a web mapping service for MoDOT for trial use.

Treasurer’s ReportTony Spicci
No change from prior month.

By-laws
New by-laws posted last night; please review. Some trickle-down changes regarding “Committee” versus “Council”. Wright will explore having OA graphic designers propose a new logo.

MembershipTony Spicci
Have not heard from CIO regarding pending nominations: Joe Clayton and Matt Gerike.

Project Updates/Action Items
MGISAC Web SiteJason Warzinik
Have decided on a WordPress-driven site. Working with MOREnet to establish a preproduction site. Waiting on DNS registration. Content to follow. Requesting maps to use as graphic elements on the site. Discussion about content maintenance.

Discussion Topics/Presentations
Subcommittee Reports

Data DevelopmentRay Fox
Met Tuesday via teleconference. Covered a lot of material which is described in the 3/8/2011 meeting minutes.

Homeland SecurityDebbie Briedwell
Homeland Security Committee – The HS committee met this Tuesday. The Office of Homeland Security is working on a new project for local responders that will provide Infrastructure data in kml format on a flash drive. The drive will also contain a beta version of Google Earth that can be ran from the drive without loading onto the computer. The group is working on symbology for the data layers and finding the best possible data sources for each layer. This project, along with the mapbook project will all be rolled out at the SEMA conference on May 4th. The data sources for both projects, as well as the Missouri COP, an Internet mapping application, will all come from the same source data housed at SEMA. Training for the USNG was conducted at the Missouri GIS conference, and funding is being sought to create regional training classes and online video training. Missouri has been offered an opportunity to participate the Virtual USA, a DHS program that provides a secure platform for federal, state, local, and private agencies to share data feeds. All states in the New Madrid Seismic Zone area have agreed to work to share data feeds of 7 essential layers for the upcoming earthquake exercise, NLE 2011, through Virtual USA.

Local Government GroupMatt Gerike/Melissa Johnson/Leslie Chamberlin

Very happy with the outcome of the Local Government track at the conference, approximately 40 attendees. Planning to update the County Use of GIS map from 2005 on the web site.

Outreach & EducationMark Duewell
Southwest regional workshop in Branson, April 21. Agenda based on the survey. Southeast regional workshop in Cape Girardeau, June 20. Request for money for break refreshments. Motion from Marsh to designate up to $100 for money for break refreshments for the Southeast Regional Workshop, seconded by Chamberlin. Approved by vote.

Policy & LegislationJoe Clayton
Nothing really to report. Deadline for Senate bills has passed; deadline for House bills is April 1. MSPS Legislative Day, February 22. HB 568/SB 326 Peer Review, HB 402/SB 220 Lein and Statute of Limitations law, SB 368/HB 797 to move surveying from DNR to Agriculture. J Schloss: this could impact future availability of updated GIS data. Discussion.

Strategic PlanningShannon White/Jeff Schloss
Schloss: Somewhat behind, need to schedule the next meeting with White.

Missouri GIS ConferenceTony Spicci
Conference went well. Attendance totalled 200, tied for best attendance. Budget will probably be slightly in the black. Essentially the conference will break even. Survey results are not yet available. Time to begin thinking about 2013, whether we want to hold another conference, and whether we want to change the format. Jeff Schloss would like to wait on any planning decisions until the final budget and survey results are available. Discussion.

Liaison Reports
MAGIC ConsortiumSteve Marsh
First Symposium planning retreat will be April 1-3 in Kansas City.

NSGICTim Haithcoat
Mid-year conference focused on addressing efforts. Census Bureau, USPS, 911 groups involved. Next generation 911 tied in very closely with broadband and GIS. GPS interference from Lightsquared discussed, waiting for decisions from GPS manufacturer testing. USGS Liaison budget issues. Spicci: US GPS Council re: Lightsquared, Census re: Title 13 restrictions regarding public vs. private data, Executive Order re: non-duplication of effort, HUD re: place-based initiatives. Fox: proposal to combine NAD83 and NAVD 88.

Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
NRCSLiz Cook

Federal budget issues looming; Agriculture seems to be an easy target. Missouri is one of eight states piloting remote monitoring of stewardship lands. Violations have already been found. Have been charged to perform a state resource assessment.

USGSRay Fox
Talked about the National Elevation Assessment at the conference. Waiting for OMB to approve LiDAR survey. Some months ago, DoI Ethics office was concerned about liaison involvement in state groups. Results are starting to come back, and don’t expect there to be any issues.

Missouri Resource Assessment PartnershipDiane True
No report

Missouri Mappers AssociationMelissa Johnson
No report

Missouri Society of Professional SurveyorsJoe Clayton

Already discussed under Policy and Legislation. Also HB 305 retirement buyout for State employees, through the end of September.

Round Table Discussionall
Steve Marsh: KC is ramping up its 2012 aerial photography mission. MARC released preliminary population change maps from Census data, getting questions from local legislators.
Jeff Schloss: data updates for MSDIS coming soon plus new 305(b)impaired waters 2010 to replace 2008 versions
Joe Clayton:
Matt Gerike: As of April 1, City of Columbia will have a GIS office.
Jason Warzinik: looking for precinct software
Tracy Schloss: dhss.mo.gov changing to health.mo.gov
Tony Spicci: represents NSGIC on COGO. December 1 report from FTC advocating limiting ability to track personal including “precise geospatial data”. COGO working to define “precise geospatial data”. COGO has already contacted FTC about difficulties.

Announcement of next meeting
April 14? @ Conservation Credit Union

Adjournment

Comments are closed.