September 8, 2011 Minutes
Date: September 8, 2011
Location: Conservation Employees Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:00 AM
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:02 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions
|Missouri Spatial Data Information Service||Mark Duewellpresent|
|Missouri State GIO||Tim Haithcoatpresent|
|OA ITSD GIS||Paul Wrightpresent||State|
|OA ITSD Economic Development||Colin Duewellpresent|
|Redistricting Office||Matt Hesserexcused|
|OA-ITSD Natural Resources||Jeff Schlossexcused|
|OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services||Tracy Schlosspresent|
|Department of Conservation||Tony Spiccipresent|
|OA-ITSD Revenue||Beth Struempfpresent|
|Washington University in St. Louis||Aaron Addisonpresent via teleconference|
|SEMO RPC||Stan Balsmanabsent|
|Great River Associates||Josie Bockpresent via teleconference|
|Camden County||Leslie Chamberlinpresent|
|Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors||Joe Claytonpresent|
|Surdex||Tim Donzepresent via teleconference|
|City of Columbia||Matt Gerikepresent|
|Northwest Missouri State University||Ming-Chih Hungexcused|
|Cole County||Melissa Johnsonpresent|
|Jackson County||Steve Marshabsent|
|City of Jefferson||Greg Reszabsent|
|MoRAP||Diane Truepresent via teleconference|
|City of Maryland Heights||Andy Wagnerexcused|
|Boone County||Jason Warzinikpresent|
|MU Extension/Department of Geography||Shannon Whitepresent (proxy for Renee Robinson)||Other Attendees|
|USGS||Ray Fox (proxy for Andy Wagner)|
3. Approval of Minutes
August minutes available on the web site.
Motion to approve from Johnson, seconded by Warzinik, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri Geographic Information Officer and OGI Report Tim
Haithcoat and Paul Wright
- Current Activities/Accomplishments
- Completed the OGI request process using OHD/JIRA. Guide available on OGI website.
- Completed development an OGI staff training plan with ESRI as part of the EAP.
- Completed an initial review of the OGI Communications Plan.
- Began the Enterprise Architecture Review with ESRI.
- Continuing work with DNR in designing their new ePermitting system.
- Upgrading DNR to version 10 of ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Servers and databases.
- Continuing support for Joplin (permitting, damage assessments, fungal mapping).
- Continuing support for Missouri River flooding.
- Posted job position for a GIS Specialist.
- Planned Activities
- Develop a project plan for the ESRI Education project with DESE.
- Establish a kick-off meeting for development of GIS standards. Invited non-consolidated agencies to participate.
- Develop internet mapping tool for the Environmental Public Health Tracking.
- Begin work on Preparedness Migration Services Project with Missouri National Guard and SEMA.
- Begin to upgrade ArcGIS Servers to version 10 at DHSS and SEMA.
- Coordination Activities
- Revamping SAG to quarterly meetings. We will invite a wider audience to attend. The new format will provide demos and presentations of interest in the GIS area.
Haithcoat: Talking with Pettit about aerial imagery procurement, trying to get at local government needs such as qualified vendors. LiDAR, planimetric, oblique products all covered. This is my last meeting as GIO.
4.2 MSDIS report Mark Duewell
Geoportal metadata loading continues. 200 records added in the last month. Structures project continues. Attending Mid-MO RPC later this month at their request. Looking at equipment purchase, but existing equipment under maintenance for another year. Regarding availability of FTP instead of email for cut, clip, zip, and ship output, Esri regards that as custom work and would get expensive fast. Comments from others about other sites with this capability. Have identified an issue with reprojection in cut, clip, zip, and ship; being worked on. Aware of issue with IMS and moving IMS data over.
4.3 Treasurers report Leslie Chamberlin
Current balance is $26,644.39. No expenses or income in the past month. Duewell: there will be an expense in October.
4.4 By-Laws Liz Cook
Nothing proposed by ten-day cutoff specified in by-laws. Haithcoat will draft changes for next month.
4.5 Membership report Liz Cook
Conference call with CIO and Wright. CIO expressed concerns about group getting too big. Cook explained that individuals from private sector had all been attending for over a year. Also discussed steering committee idea but Cook is personally not in favor of that approach. Discussion about MoDOT representation. Discussion about how to identify new representatives from a member.
5. Project Update/Action Items
5.1 NSGIC Election and Missouri Membership Paul Wright
Summary of ballot submission process and timing. Thoughts about candidates from Spicci, Fox. Question from White about who would perform better in a national advocacy and testimony role. Opinion from Haithcoat. Opinon from Duewell. Drum pointed out that Hung had indicated his preference for Diller in his absence notification email. Motion from Drum to vote for Weichert as Chair-elect and all three board nominees. Seconded by Chamberlin. Approved by vote. Discussion about how to ensure that Missouri representatives to NSGIC are able to travel under no out-of-state travel policies. Motion from White that Spicci officially represent Missouri at the NSGIC Annual meeting in September. Seconded by Chamberlin. Approved by vote.
5.2 2013 Missouri GIS Conference David Drum
Hotel selection survey available and will remain open until September 17. While a per-attendee cost has not been calculated for each location, please note that food costs are the major component of conference registration fee. Conference committee will review results and select a site by the October meeting.
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development Ray Fox
- The Lidar Stakeholders group is working on the Mo-Grande project which includes counties in the lower Missouri- Grande watersheds. USACE-KC, NRCS, USGS, Dept of Conservation, and SEMA are in the consortium (USGS if next year’s funding allows) with USACE-St Louis possible. USACE-St Louis will handle the contracting.
- East-West Gateway RPC has issued a RFP for the eight counties (including three in IL) for 6″ resolution color imagery. USGS plans to participate in order to collect the NGA 133 Urban Area footprint.
- St Louis County and the Metropolitan Sewer District (MSD) have expressed interest in acquiring Lidar for the city and county. USGS is interested in partnering, again if funding permits.
- Ray Fox will be calling a Data Development meeting once the Mo-Grande Lidar project settles down.
6.2 Homeland Security Debbie Briedwell
Met since response events are winding down. Paul Fennewald was able to attend and share his vision. Planning a lessons-learned report from Joplin. Robinson officially in environmental group now so will not be able to participate in homeland security any more.
6.3 Local Government Matt Gerike
Local government directory on web site still being developed.
6.4 Outreach and Education Mark Duewell, Shannon White
Conference call on the 12th to finalize the Lake regional workshop. Tri-Lakes hosting a technical workshop in March. LiDAR workshop to be developed to be held twice in the next year. WUSTL to host another workshop.
6.5 Policy and Legislation Joe Clayton
Cadastral mapping stakeholders meeting last month; second meeting on October 13. Today 1-3 house committee on science, etc. regarding LightSquared. Spicci commented on court case determining whether local governments can surcharge for GIS data.
6.6 Strategic Planning Shannon White
Sent out Doodle link via email to schedule a meeting.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium Steve Marsh
Drum: Symposium planning retreat tomorrow and Saturday. Spicci: do we want to sponsor the Symposium? Discussion. Motion from Colin Duewell to sponsor the symposium, seconded by White. Discussion. Friendly amendment from Cook to sponsor at the $500 level. Accepted by Duewell. Motion and amendment approved by vote. Spicci to work with Chamberlin to pay sponsorship.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council Paul Wright
8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS – Liz Cook
MOGrand project will acquire LiDAR for eight additional counties in Missouri and Grand river areas.
8.2 USGS Ray Fox
- Ray attended the Arkansas GIS Forum last week, attendance was in the 270 range. Excellent conference with lots of enthusiasm from those attending. Craig Best of Census gave an excellent presentation on how to access the 2010 Census data. Although the Kansas City Census office will be closed, Craig will continue to work as the regional Geographer from his home in Kansas City. Liz Cook will contact Craig on giving his presentation at a MGISAC meeting if the agenda permits.
- The NHD cooperative agreement between USGS and DNR has experienced numerous delays due in large part to the conversation at USGS to a new financial system, but is expected to be completed before the fiscal year ends.
- Ray is working on transferring the equipment loaned to MSDIS for geospatial projects to MSDIS permanently. This includes laptops and GPS equipment. The equipment is five years old and if returned would be surplused.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership Diane True
There will be a wetlands meeting on November 9 at the CERC in Columbia from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Public lands data should be available from http://www.protectedlands.net/ soon.
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association Melissa Johnson
Meeting next month.
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Clayton
Annual meeting and conference starting on the 13th of October.
9. Round table Discussion
Mark Duewell: state agency development server being installed. Expect it to be available by the next meeting.
Chamberlin: have had email problems recently; if you emailed me and I haven’t responded, please resend.
Haithcoat: Katrina general speaking at Jesse Hall September 14, 7:30.
Spicci: eGIS server/data rearchitecture beginning today.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, October 13, 2011, Conservation Employees Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:15 a.m.