MGISAC Minutes for December 8, 2011
Date: December 8, 2011
Location: Conservation Employees Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:00 AM
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:05 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions
|Missouri Spatial Data Information Service||Mark Duewellexcused|
|OA ITSD GIS||Paul Wrightpresent||State|
|OA ITSD Economic Development||Colin Duewellpresent|
|OA Budget and Planning||Matt Hesserabsent|
|OA-ITSD Natural Resources||Jeff Schlossexcused|
|OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services||Tracy Schlosspresent|
|Department of Conservation||Tony Spiccipresent|
|OA-ITSD Revenue||Beth Struempfpresent||Cooperating|
|Washington University in St. Louis||Aaron Addisonexcused|
|SEMO RPC||Stan Balsmanexcused|
|Great River Associates||Josie Bockpresent|
|Camden County||Leslie Chamberlinpresent|
|Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors||Joe Claytonpresent|
|USDA-NRCS||Elizabeth Cookpresent (proxy for Stan Balsman)|
|City of Columbia||Matt Gerikepresent via teleconference|
|Northwest Missouri State University||Ming-Chih Hungpresent via teleconference|
|Cole County||Melissa Johnsonpresent|
|Sanborn||Kevin Kuhlmannpresent via teleconference|
|Jackson County||Amber Reynoldspresent|
|City of Jefferson||Greg Reszabsent|
|MoRAP||Diane Truepresent via teleconference|
|City of Maryland Heights||Andy Wagnerpresent|
|Boone County||Jason Warzinikpresent|
|MU Extension/Department of Geography||Shannon Whitepresent||Other Attendees|
|Esri||Joe Eckmann (via teleconference)|
|MSDIS||Tim Haithcoat (via teleconference)|
3. Approval of Minutes
November minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Spicci, seconded by White, approved by vote.
4. Guest Presentation Craig Best, U.S. Census Bureau
5. MGISAC Administration
5.1 Missouri OGI Report Paul Wright
- Current Activities/Accomplishments
- As of 12/1 Arnold Williams stepped in as the OGI Supervisor.
- Architecture review interviews were completed Thursday (12/1). This review includes representatives from the consolidated and non-consolidated agencies. We should have a report by early January.
- OGI will be setting a meeting with Customer Service Managers (CSM) to give them information on the office and services we can provide. I have established a liaison to work with CSMs in identifying and securing OGI services as needed.
- Provided support to the Redistricting Office on their release of the latest boundaries. There were some server problems on the date of release but we were able to help get the server up. OGI will be overseeing the server and doing some planning on its current and future use.
- Will be meeting with Tony on 12/13/11 to discuss LiDAR.
- Working with the web group to provide a data portal similar to the federal data portal (Data.gov). Met with MSDIS on 12/7 to discuss planning.
- Was to have met on Dec 6 with Matt Hesser to discuss data sharing. Matt requested we delay meeting as they are tied-up with redistricting activities. Trying to reschedule.
- The first quarterly State Agency GIS (SAG) meeting was held on Thursday, October 20. Had 29 attendees from 7 different agencies. Interest from two agencies for collaborative effort on projects. We will be having another meeting tentatively set for January 19, 2012. We also received interest from the Division of Tourism related to centralization of GIS data for their VisitMO web site.
- Met with Shannon White and eMINTS to continue discussions on the ESRI education program. We will be setting a meeting with eMINTS, MOREnet and DESE to further discuss a memo of understanding (MOU) in order to move forward.
- Reviewing questionnaire for the Geographic Support System (GSS; Census) initiative (Support of 2020 census – Improved address coverage; Continual spatial feature updates; Enhanced quality assessment and measurement).
- Reviewing State of Utah Bid WSCA Cloud Hosting Services; multi-state GIS cloud services RFP.
- Efforts to populate geoportal services are showing some fruit – some web mapping services, documents and other services are now available.
- A document that will assist partners in their submission of metadata to the new geoportal is now available on the site.
- Other minor changes to the User Interface have been completed, for example, on the browse page website has been changed to “download”.
- Waiting on the OGI for a determination on whether to proceed with engaging ESRI under contract to address the data download FTP/Email issue – Arnold Williams (OGI) has graciously agreed to look at the Python code.
- Final Structures Project data review is ongoing at the Mid-Missouri RPC. Final report to be drafted – hopefully next week.
- Reimbursement to me for the food at the October GIS Symposia: $279.27
I just received a travel reimbursement form that needs completion. I was told the check would be cut upon its receipt.
- Renewal of our URL for our domain (mgisac.org) $10.13
I would have thought this was already handled. I have a request in to find out why this has not been processed.
- Invoice to Custom Meeting Planners for Conference Site Selection $1,850.00
- MAGIC Symposium sponsorship $500.00
5.2 MSDIS report Mark Duewell
5.3 Treasurers report Leslie Chamberlin
Our ending balance is the same as last month: $26,644.39
The following have been approved for processing:
I hope to see all on next month’s financial report.
5.4 By-Laws Liz Cook
5.5 Membership report Tony Spicci
6. Project Update/Action Items
6.1 MAGIC Consortium Awards Liz Cook
Candidates discussed and ranked.
6.2 Cadastral Mapping Standards Meeting GIS Subcommittee Representatives
Marsh: General feeling that the group is working with the right document with editing. Now a new document has been introduced which is untenable. Meeting this afternoon at 1:30 p.m.
6.3 2013 Missouri GIS Conference
Addison: Andy Wagner and I met and are on-board with co-chairing and developing the program. For both of us the priority seems to point towards having Jamie (or whoever pleases the Council) lock dates in ASAP. He and I plan to start meeting more regularly after the new year.
Motion from Marsh, seconded by Warzinik, to accept the contract from Custom Meeting Planners for conference planning for the Missouri GIS Conference in 2013.
6.4 Selection of Topic for February Meeting Liz Cook
Call for topics for presentation at February or March meeting. Fox can show the new Missouri US Topo. Cook can show the USDA data gateway and image server. Socrata, MSDIS, data sharing suggested as other topics. Data sharing selected as the March topic. Discussion about changing the format of the meeting. Possibility of all-day quarterly.
7. Round table Discussion
Aaron Addison: I did have a couple of ideas on format change for the meetings. I would like to see the group meet for an entire day every 4th month (3x annually). The idea here is that we could actually break out in to groups and work on an issue more in depth. Perhaps have an in depth speaker or facilitator. I would even be in favor of MGISAC paying for lunch on those days if need be. Having lots of dollars in our bank account is not moving GIS forward for MO. Time to quit fretting over them.
Mark Duewell: The Brandon Recplex has been reserved for a date in April for the perspective LiDAR workshop – a doodle will be set up to determine a date and time to discuss agenda and arrangements with the usual workgroup team consisting of regional locals and MGISAC/MOMAPPERS members. Also a doodle will go out in the near future to discuss the other workshop that Aaron Addison (Washington University) would like to host this in early August.
Debbie Briedwell: No Homeland Security report for this month. Our next meeting will be next Tuesday, December 13th from 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. at SEMA in the Governor’s Conference Room.
Shannon White: No activity for Strategic Planning in November due to schedule.
Ray Fox: Data Development meeting here at 1:00 p.m. MoGrand project coming along.
Leslie Chamberlin: lots on the way.
Melissa Johnson: Lightsquared has begun image advertising.
Andy Wagner: St. Louis imagery from 2010 is now in the public domain.
Josie Bock: GIS education expanding locally.
Steve Marsh: MARC imagery contract is on track. Data sharing woes.
Amber Reynolds: MAGIC Symposium session abstract submission deadline extended to January 6.
Tony Spicci: Lightsquared announcing that their testing shows that their network does not interfere with GPS. More to come on the NSGIC blog.
Liz Cook: USDA has a 248TB server for data, hoping the days of mailing hard drives around are numbered.
8. Next meeting: Thursday, January 12, 2012, Conservation Employees Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:25 a.m.