Minutes for January 12, 2012

Date: January 12, 2011
Location: Conservation Employees’ Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:00 AM
Agenda
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:04 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewell—present
OA ITSD GIS Paul Wright—present
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell—absent
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—present
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—excused
JFMO-EM Renee Robinson—absent
OA-ITSD Natural Resources Jeff Schloss—present
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schloss—present
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci—present via teleconference
OA-ITSD Revenue Beth Struempf—present
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—present via teleconference
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—present via teleconference
Great River Associates Josie Bock—present via teleconference
Camden County Leslie Chamberlin—present
Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Clayton—present
USDA-NRCS Elizabeth Cook—present
Surdex Tim Donze—excused
MOREnet David Drum—present (proxy for Diane True)
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—present
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—present via teleconference
Cole County Melissa Johnson—excused
Sanborn Kevin Kuhlmann—present via teleconference
Jackson County Amber Reynolds—present via teleconference
City of Jefferson Greg Resz—present
MoRAP Diane True—excused
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—excused
Boone County Jason Warzinik—present via teleconference
MU Extension/Department of Geography Shannon White—present
Other Attendees
USGS Ray Fox
City of Nevada Mark Mitchell
OA ITSD OGI Arnold Williams

3. Approval of Minutes
December minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Tracy Schloss, seconded by Chamberlin, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report – Paul Wright

  • Architecture review draft from ESRI should be ready for review on Monday, January 9, 2012.
  • Met with Redistricting Office and began to develop new viewers and modify underlying data to make mapping more efficient. We were requested by the Redistricting Office not to make any changes until after mid-January.
  • Met with Tony Spicci to discuss LiDAR and the imagery RFP. We discussed some of the overarching technical complications (slow speeds, etc) that Conservation has had and what we can do to assist in resolving those issues in the future. Tony provided us with some information on an RFP from New Jersey related to GIS services. This is close to what we might want to provide for Missouri by adding the aerial imagery service. OGI will discuss this more in early January.
  • Identifying data set categories to be set-up initially in SOCRATA. Information related to contacts, etc has been completed and returned to SOCRATA.
  • Developed an RFI to get feedback on costs for providing an enterprise wide geo-coding solution. A draft of the RFI was sent to ITSD/Finance for review.
  • The next quarterly State Agency GIS (SAG) meeting will be held on Thursday, January 19 in room 500 Truman Bldg from 1-2PM. Debbie Briedwell will give a presentation on this last summer’s work on the flooding and Joplin tornado.
  • Met with Shannon White, DESE, eMints and MOREnet to continue discussions on the ESRI education program. DESE requested that we provide some white papers that show how GIS fits and supports the common core courses, STEM and the job outlook. They are generally supportive but have concerns over man-power and future monetary outlays.
  • OGI has developed a tri-fold of information that will be provided to Customer Service Managers (CSMs) and others to give them information on the office and the services we can provide. OGI will begin to meet with CSMs in later January and early February.

4.2 MSDIS report – Mark Duewell

  • MSDIS Retreat (January 10, 2012) – attended at various times by from 7 to 9 MSDIS & GRC staff members. Staff who attended the morning geoportal issues and procedures session were; Tim Haithcoat Martin Wills, Wenbo Song, Chris Stephens, Shannon White and Mark Duewell. Staff members attending the afternoon planning session also included Charly Clendenning, Daniel Schmidt and Tom Vaughn. In the morning current portal issues were discussed, progress updates given and future directions given. The afternoon session covered technical server discussions, planning to research virtualization again this year or purchasing new server hardware/software – drive storage space – social media as relating to MSDIS – annual ESRI Licensing and statistical reporting.
  • The legacy site was removed from the new web site page – parts of the hardware and software are being dismantles preparatory to building the new failover servers to back up the current MSDIS GeoPortal/Imagery Servers on the public side.
  • More kinks in the metadata importing process resulted in new contacts with ESRI portal team – however all data with issues and waiting for linking are now in the portal.
  • Much planning and discussion is going into the move that will eventually shut down our SDE – making the MSDISData server available for the failover solution and (hopefully – according to ESRI) improve our GeoPortal when we move to the new file geodatabase for cut, clip, zip and ship. A test file geodatabase has been built and populated by files from the currently utilized SDE over the New Year holiday. The FGDB will be updated to reflect current datasets and then tested one of these upcoming weekend evenings.
  • In addition – Arnold Williams is reviewing the Python code for cut, clip and zip tool – looking to stop the automatic emailing of the zipped files and instead ship a web link the individual can utilize to download the data via FTP.
  • Structures data from the various FGDC/USGS sponsored projects will be going into the new geoportal in the very near future – some of it is there now – making them more widely available to the public.
  • In addition – MSDIS staff are working back through previous “Structures” iterations and redefining the “Building General” into more features such as multi-family dwelling, mobile homes etc…

4.3 Treasurer’s report – Leslie Chamberlin
Ending 24,784.26. Paid two expenses, $1,850 to Custom Meeting Planners, $10.13 for domain. Pending expenses: $279.27 for Lake area sponsorship. MAGIC Symposium sponsorship went on credit card, so has not shown up yet.
4.4 Membership report – Tony Spicci
Steve Marsh has received his MARC membership letter from the CIO. Discussion about the future of representation from the State Demographer.
5. Discussion Topics
5.1 Open Data Survey — Mark Mitchell, City of Nevada CIO
Was tasked to inventory GIS data. Discovered a lot of missing data. Gave an example of the rural fire protection district. Surveyed other nearby counties and found similar situation. Asking for assistance for MGISAC to formally gather information regarding existence of data and sharing methods. Discussion. Local government committee has agreed to take on this task as part of its work.
5.2 MGISAC Web Site — Jason Warzinik
Recap of web site takeover by OA. Discussion about pros/cons of web hosting in different locations. Motion from White to grant the web committee permission to act regarding the domain and web site in the best interests with spending authority up to $300 annually, seconded by Chamberlin, approved by vote.
6. Project Update/Action Items
6.1 Cadastral Mapping Standards Meeting — GIS Subcommittee Representatives
Warzinik: heated meeting, several new attendees in person and on phone. Working draft had reintroduced a lot of controversial language. Third draft is much cleaner, Darrel probably hopes to have it accepted. Clayton: would be surprised if it is accepted today.
6.2 2013 Missouri GIS Conference
Cook: Have a copy of the signed hotel agreement. February 18-21, 2013. Site visit planned. Mark Duewell: much as MAGIC is doing in April, think recognizing vendors who support MOGIS would be a good idea.
6.3 Selection of Topic for March Meeting — Liz Cook
Discussion about local government presentation. Moved to June. Will request a redistricting presentation in March. Motion from Marsh, seconded by Warzinik, to allocate up to $300 to the Local Government committee for survey mailing costs. Approved by vote.
7. Committee Reports
7.1 Data Development – Ray Fox
Missouri/Grand River Basin LiDAR being collected. St. Louis contract moving forward. MARC project contract has been signed with Pinnacle; first meeting the first week of February. Spicci: adding Osage, possibly other areas for LiDAR acquisition.
7.2 Homeland Security – Debbie Briedwell
No report
7.3 Local Government – Matt Gerike
Already covered
7.4 Outreach and Education – Mark Duewell, Shannon White
Dial-in meeting on the 17th to work on the LiDAR workshop in Branson. Additional LiDAR workshop in St. Louis in August being discussed with cross-promotion of 2013 MOGIS. White: working to move statewide Esri education license forward.
7.5 Policy and Legislation – Joe Clayton

7.6 Strategic Planning – Shannon White
Discussing by-laws changes. Performing SWOT analysis. January 20th 1-3 p.m. Call-in or 104 Stewart Hall
8. Liaison Reports
8.1 MAGIC Consortium – Steve Marsh
Reminder that Symposium is April 22-26.
8.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Paul Wright

  • The mid-year conference will be held Feb 26 – Mar 1, 2012 in Annapolis, MD
  • A new site design was released in mid-December 2011. It is better designed to allow committees to easily update actions and provide other related information.
  • Guidelines for data sharing are available from the Data Sharing committee. The committee’s page will be a repository of reference information to help assist those interested in developing data sharing processes in their area.

9. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
9.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
Working through a large backlog of “sodbuster” requests. Developing a digital tool to automate processing.
9.2 USGS – Ray Fox
Surveying “communities of use”. NHD conference in New Orleans, scholarship money available.
9.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership – Diane True
No report
9.4 Missouri Mappers Association – Melissa Johnson
No report per Melissa.
9.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
Missouri Surveyor publication online next week, two great articles, check them out.
10. Round table Discussion
Spicci: enterprise GIS progressing. Have a new position, IT/GIS supervisor, internal posting, hoping to have someone in the position by March.
Colin Duewell: American Community Survey from 2006-2009 recently released, new American Factfinder. Would be happy to guide anyone through the changes.
Fox: historic USGS Missouri maps online.
Chamberlin: starting a Lake Area GIS Users Group (LAGUG). All welcome. Have an IT position open (with designs of it assisting with GIS). Find it on monster.com under Camden, Missouri.
Jeff Schloss: have some interesting projects to discuss when they are more developed.
Wright: Doug Young retiring effective February 1.
11. Next meeting: Thursday, February 9, 2012, Conservation Employees Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:15 a.m.

Comments are closed.