November 10, 2011 Minutes

Date: November 10, 2011
Location: Conservation Employees Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:00 AM
Agenda
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:03 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewellpresent (proxy for Andy Wagner)
OA ITSD GIS Paul Wrightpresent
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwellpresent
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewellpresent
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesserabsent
JFMO-EM Renee Robinsonpresent via teleconference
OA-ITSD Natural Resources Jeff Schlosspresent (proxy for Beth Struemph)
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schlosspresent via teleconference
Department of Conservation Tony Spiccipresent
OA-ITSD Revenue Beth Struempfexcused
MoDOT Arnold Williamsabsent
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addisonpresent
SEMO RPC Stan Balsmanpresent
Great River Associates Josie Bockabsent
Camden County Leslie Chamberlinpresent
Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Claytonpresent
USDA-NRCS Elizabeth Cookpresent
Surdex Tim Donzepresent
MOREnet David Drumpresent
City of Columbia Matt Gerikepresent
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hungpresent via teleconference
Cole County Melissa Johnsonexcused
Sanborn Kevin Kuhlmannpresent
Jackson County Amber Reynoldspresent
City of Jefferson Greg Reszpresent
MoRAP Diane Truepresent via teleconference
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagnerexcused
Boone County Jason Warzinikpresent
MU Extension/Department of Geography Shannon Whitepresent
Other Attendees
Esri Joe Eckmann (via teleconference)
USGS Ray Fox
MSDIS Tim Haithcoat (via teleconference)
Platte County Marsha Hawkensmith (sp?)
MARC Steve Marsh
USGS Elizabeth McCartney

3. Approval of Minutes
October minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Jeff Schloss, seconded by Spicci, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report Paul Wright

  • Current Activities/Accomplishments
    • We have filled our GIS Specialist position. As of 11/16 Arnold Williams will become a member of the OGI staff.
    • Met with 3 interns (2 from MU and 1 from UCM) to do some tasks on geospatial coding. We will be looking at how data is provided to them and how data will be returned. We will also be tracking time spent and a periodic report of progress.
    • We have requested a proclamation from the Governor for GIS Day which is November 16.
    • Working with DNR, ITSD/DNR to provide GIS services for SSO/Bypass and ePermitting projects. We are looking at how we can utilize ESRI templates for both projects. We might use some EAP credits for ESRI assistance with implementing those services.
    • Working with the Web Development group to revamp the Map Community Interest area of the mo.gov page. Looking at a product (Socrata) used by the federal government and other states to provide this functionality. Targeting 11/31/11 to have in production.
    • From the general survey the top items requested were training and data sharing. We will be:
      • Contacting those who submitted the surveys to get more details of the type of training needed; see if we can provide assistance.
      • Contacted Matt Hesser to set-up a meeting with the Budget Director to discuss data sharing and the sunshine law. Meeting scheduled for 12/6/11.
    • Research and develop geo-coding solutions within state governmental orgs. Getting more and more requests to provide assistance in the area of geo-coding.
    • Continuing to research and develop procedures and best practices for OGI.
  • Coordination Activities
    • New quarterly SAG meeting was held Thursday, October 20. We had 29 attendees. A few surveys were returned and we did get contacted to review a possible project with SOS related to their election systems.
    • Met with the MGISAC strategic planning committee to discuss strategies and goals. Also discussed by-law changes.
    • Working with the Missouri Geography Alliance (MGA) to develop their strategic plan. Through the MGA we can help promote geography and GIS throughout the state.
    • Presented at the Lake Regional Symposium on 10/24.

4.2 MSDIS report Mark Duewell
Mid-Missouri Structures Project continuing to be reviewed before being given to Mid-Missouri RPC. Still exploring options on the Cut-Clip-Zip-Ship script. The Imagery Development server is up and permissions are being determined and granted. Martin is reviewing server statistics applications. Wenbo is working on a request from Boeing regarding his conflation tool.
4.3 Treasurers report Leslie Chamberlin
Current balance is unchanged at $26,644.39. Expecting two expenditures this month, $279.27 for Lake Area regional workshop, $10.13 for Internet domain renewal. Discussion about why domain was not renewed for three years as expected.
4.4 By-Laws Liz Cook
White: changes were divided up by topic; two of three changes submitted within window for qualification. Overview of changes. Motion from Jeff Schloss, seconded by Spicci, to accept the changes submitted by White. … writing out USGS, that the Ex-Officios report at the monthly meeting, and that the CIO has nomination authority. Approved by vote. Cook: the Strategic Planning committee will continue to review potential changes to the MGISAC officer structure.
4.5 Membership report Tony Spicci
Arnold Williams has left MoDOT for OA. MARC membership represented by Steve Marsh going to OGI for approval by the CIO. Cook: have contacted Hesser about more regular attendance. Spicci: will send bylaws changes addressing vaguenesses regarding membership to White for future consideration.
5. Project Update/Action Items
5.1 MGISAC Meeting Format Changes Liz Cook
Would like to make the meetings more relevant. Set normal outline of meeting aside, possibility of conducting issues debates, software/web site demonstrations. Discussion. Desire to see reports submitted ahead of time when possible. Intent to schedule special presentations every few months beginning in January.
5.2 Cadastral Mapping Standards Meeting GIS Subcommittee Representatives
Marsh: no update. Will send out notes after today’s meeting.
5.3 2013 Missouri GIS Conference David Drum
Cook: Results of vote sent out. Doubletree Hotel and Conference Center in St. Louis selected. Motion from Warzinik, seconded by Reynolds, to request a quote for conference planning from Custom Meeting Planners. Approved by vote. Motion from Drum, seconded by Clayton, to renew conference insurance policy. Friendly amendment from Balsman to cap authorization at $500. Approved by vote.
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development Ray Fox
Meeting December 8 at MDCD Credit Union meeting room, 1:00. EWGW eight county 6 inch imagery on the fast track. New LiDAR map will go on the web site soon. Next NGA funding may be on a three-year cycle. Marsh: may have 12 to 14 counties in next MARC flight.
6.2 Homeland Security Debbie Briedwell
DHS Virtual USA allows for cross-border data sharing, specification of with whom it can be shared. US National Grid training taking on a life of its own.
6.3 Local Government Matt Gerike
Planning to write a white paper on the topics introduced by the Ohio white paper. Participated in the Lake Area regional workshop and Region F meeting.
6.4 Outreach and Education Mark Duewell, Shannon White
Duewell: Lake Area regional workshop had 53 registrations, 43 attendees, some cancellations, some no-shows. Felt there was not as much audience participation, possibly due to their unfamiliarity with GIS. LiDAR workshop tentatively scheduled in the Tri-Lakes area in March. Considering another LiDAR workshop at Washington University in St. Louis in late summer. White: promoting Speak Up for Geography for Geography Awareness Week. GIS Day is next Wednesday. Have 30 proclamations from county commissioners.
6.5 Policy and Legislation Joe Clayton
No report
6.6 Strategic Planning Shannon White
Met October 26th.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium Steve Marsh
Reynolds: Symposium in April, 2012. Abstract submission is open. Poster session is open and will be all digital. Duewell: will need to vote on awards next month. Drum: call for short course instructors.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council Paul Wright
Spicci: NSGIC and URISA are working together with COGO to draft a legal and policy framework regarding data sharing.
8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS – Liz Cook
No report
8.2 USGS Ray Fox
USGS Geospatial liaisons are no longer allowed to provide letters of support on CAP grants. McCartney: I am the NHD resource for Missouri and other states.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership Diane True
Cook: joint steering committee meeting on wetlands yesterday.
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association Melissa Johnson
No report
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Clayton
Annual meeting October 13-15. Scholarship money was not claimed this year.
9. Round table Discussion
Chamberlin: passing along thanks from Lake Area attendees of the regional workshop
Spicci: Lightsquared controversy continues, testing continues, but not on high-precision equipment. Fix promised but not delivered. Amendment pending in Congress that would withhold 3% from all Federal contracts until contractor passes several checks. Geospatial platform update. Petition to fund GIS in Local government; will forward to group.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, December 8, 2011, Conservation Employees Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:45 a.m.

2 comments to November 10, 2011 Minutes