Minutes for March 8, 2012

Date: March 8, 2011
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:00 a.m.
Agenda
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:04 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Mark Mitchell

Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewell—excused
USGS Ray Fox
OA ITSD GIS Paul Wright—present (proxy for Matt Hesser)
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell—present
MoDOT Joe Carter—excused
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—excused
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—excused
JFMO-EM Renee Robinson—present via teleconference
OA-ITSD Natural Resources Jeff Schloss—present
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schloss—present
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci—present via teleconference (proxy for Amber Reynolds)
OA-ITSD Revenue Beth Struempf—present
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—present via teleconference
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—present via teleconference
Great River Associates Josie Bock—present via teleconference
Camden County Leslie Chamberlin—present
Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Clayton—present
USDA-NRCS Elizabeth Cook—present
Surdex Tim Donze—present
MOREnet David Drum—present
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—present
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—present via teleconference
Cole County Melissa Johnson—present
Sanborn Kevin Kuhlmann—absent
MARC Steve Marsh—present via teleconference
Jackson County Amber Reynolds—excused
City of Jefferson Greg Resz—absent
MoRAP Diane True—present via teleconference
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—present
Boone County Jason Warzinik—present
MU Extension/Department of Geography Shannon White—present
Other Attendees
MU GRC Tim Haithcoat
Lee Metcalf
City of Nevada
Jeremiah Steele
OA ITSD OGI Arnold Williams (proxy for Colin Duewell)

3. Approval of Minutes
February minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from White, seconded by Marsh, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright

  • ITSD/GIS staff met on 2/27/12 to begin discussions on the next phase of the GIS architecture based on the ESRI review. The first task will be identifying data layers that we can begin to centralize. Other items to look at for centralizing are the GIS servers and GIS software (within consolidated agencies). These will be taken up at future meetings.
  • The aerial imagery RFP has been assigned to Arnold Williams and Tracy Schloss. I spoke with OA Purchasing about revamping the RFP to streamline it and not utilize categories as first proposed.
  • The Data Portal (Socrata) is tentatively scheduled for production release in mid-March. We are continuing discussions with various organizations about data that will be initially made available through this site.
  • We have completed an initial review of the three responses to the Geocoding RFI. A meeting is being set with those groups that have used geocoding services in the past to make comment on the responses and to help develop the next steps.
  • ITSD/GIS has been busy the last few weeks in support roles, continuing the support of the redistricting efforts and more recent with supporting efforts related to the Branson area tornado.
  • Tim Haithcoat contacted us about a Master Address File project. There might be some funding available via Broadband to create a framework. We are taking a look at that opportunity to see if it is one that ITSD/GIS could take on.

4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell

  1. MSDIS File Geo-Database is now online – 109 of the latest datasets available with the new download functionality that emails a URL to the zipped data set vs. emailing the actual zipped data set.

    Thanks to Arnold Williams at OGI and Dan Haag at ESRI for their help with the script.

    This replaces the 33 dated (newest was 2006) datasets in SDE – which has now been retired – those systems will be ghosted with the new geoportal to create a mirrored backup of the MSDIS site, portal etc… at a location across campus. In the event of failure of the North Node site the Telecom site will automatically come up. This will be – in theory – transparent to the users and needs to be tested.

  2. We’re now going back through the data sets to ensure naming conventions are normalized – this will take some time but is essential to streamline administration. We will be adding additional data sets as time allows but our primary focus will be establishing the backup node.
  3. NSGIC has received some funding to enhance the GIS Inventory application with functionality that is planned to enable state clearinghouses to finally load their massed metadata records. This is a significant development . MSDIS, like many other state clearinghouses, always wanted to participate in the effort but the lack of this capability made the staff time prohibitive. MSDIS will follow this effort closely hoping to utilize the new application to further the data inventory goals of Missouri.
  4. Mark will be attending a series of webinars on the new ISO 19115-1 standard presented by NOAA – this is based on his participation in the FGDC Metadata Working Group –

    This from Linda Wayne:

    ISO 19115-1, Geographic Information – Metadata – Part 1: Fundamentals, has reached Draft International Status (DIS). The standard is considered stable at this point and the INCITS L1 committee is calling for comments and member organization positions as to whether the standard should become finalized.

  5. FTP is being moved to the North Node data server – this is part of the effort referred to in Item#1. This should be transparent to the user but if users experience problems please notify us.
  6. MSDIS presented the new web site updates and portal features at the most recent user group meeting in Camdenton.

4.3 Treasurer's report — Leslie Chamberlin
Balance $24,004.99. Only expense was $500 sponsorship of MAGIC Symposium. Additional $500 expense for photo booth sponsorship and $71.40 for Dreamhost.
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
No members not in good standing. No new members pending. Joe Carter is the new representative from MoDOT.
4.5 By-laws — Liz Cook
Discussion about proposed wording appearing to require designating a proxy. Some members can not or will not designate a proxy, putting them at risk of being marked absent instead of excused. Motion from Spicci, seconded by Clayton, to accept proposed changes. Friendly amendment from Jeff Schloss of wording that avoids the proxy versus absence dilemma. Discussion. Friendly amendment reread by White. Amendment accepted by Spicci. Call to question from White. Motion approved by vote. Motion approved unanimously by vote. Other changes related to officer succession yet to be distributed.
5. Project Update/Action Items
5.1 Web Site — Liz Cook
Letter sent to Wright at OA discussing concern with events. Wright has passed on to acting CIO Tim Robyn. Wright does not expect request for return of domain and web site to be honored. Warzinik is maintaining a pre-production site on Dreamhost where he stages site changes before requesting changes by OA.
5.2 Draft GIS Survey to Local Governments — Matt Gerike
Handout “GIS and Digital Mapping Use Survey” discussed. Developmental and copy editing discussion. Concerns about how to get the best information from organizations unwilling to open up. Suggestion to write comments on handout and return to Gerike. Anyone with lists of GIS contacts at Missouri counties please email to Chamberlin.
5.3 MAPPS Letter to Governors — Jeff Schloss
Link to summary of letter sent via email. The letter, while heavy-handed, presents an opportunity to let the Governor know we exist. Spicci: general consensus from NSGIC conference is “no damage done”, sending blind letters is not very effective.
5.4 2013 Missouri GIS Conference — Andy Wagner, Aaron Addison

  • Conference committee:
    • Co-Chairs/Program — Aaron Addison & Andy Wagner
    • Exhibits — Tim Donze
    • Awards — Leslie Chamberlin
    • Social — Kevin Kuhlmann
    • Publicity — Mark Duewell
    • Short Courses — David Drum
    • Posters — Ming-Chih Hung
    • Site Visits — Colin Duewell
  • Flyer created for use at upcoming events (Thanks Melissa Johnson)
  • Beginning to reach out to area GIS user groups

6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Ray Fox
Doodle poll available to select the next meeting time. St. Louis imagery project is 98% flown. Marsh: MARC imagery about 20% done with flight, need about a day and a half of good flight time to finish. Fox: Grand River LiDAR project is 100% flown. LiDAR stakeholders: expect another Doodle poll for a meeting in late May.
6.2 Homeland Security — Debbie Briedwell
Meeting pending; Branson tornado response recap. Map books being updated for ArcGIS 10, new data. Steele: HSIP2012 being pushed out over the next few weeks by NGA. HSIP Gold data now available to National Guard headquarters. HSIP Freedom to be available via download. More detail, missed. Fox: New HOPS program information forthcoming.
6.3 Local Government — Matt Gerike
Nothing more to add
6.4 Outreach and Education — Mark Duewell, Shannon White

  • Advance LiDAR Workshop — Branson RecPlex, March 15th, 8:30am – 4:10pm. 62 registered. Registration has been closed a little more than a week.
  • New flyer developed by the 2013 Conference team but actually rendered by Melissa Johnson — Thanks Melissa! This will be distributed at the Advanced LiDAR Workshop in Branson, at the MAGIC Symposium and at future MGISAC events. Thanks to Aaron for printing!

White: Geography Bee last Friday in March at MU.
6.5 Policy and Legislation — Joe Clayton
SB 501 going to die in the Education committee. HB 1139 provides an incentive to State employees to retire in the first three months of next FY.
6.6 Strategic Planning — Shannon White
Spent an hour discussing where MGISAC stands with the State. Meeting tomorrow at 1:00 in Columbia, call-in information to be emailed today.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh
Symposium rapidly approaching, about 200 registrants, lots of availability of short courses. Program and exhibit hall both full and having to turn people away.
Request scholarship money for whom? Shannon White
What to put in booth at Syposium? Branson imagery, etc. Call for volunteers.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Paul Wright

  • After a great deal of discussion among its Board members, NSGIC has joined as Amicus Curiae in a Brief to be submitted to the Supreme Court of the State of California. The Brief supports the appeal of a Superior Court decision that we believe mischaracterizes geospatial data as “software,” thus allowing Orange County to charge very high data access fees under the California Public Records Act. NSGIC takes this position in support of its vision of open data sharing.
  • September 9-13, 2012 is the NSGIC Annual Conference in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.

8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
Meeting April 3-4 to begin migration to web-based mapping tool.
8.2 USGS — Ray Fox
Communities of Use geospatial data use review. Will be in Memphis next month at earthquake conference. Three partnership proposals submitted for Missouri, NHD, GNIS, and Structures. NHD conference March 29-30 in New Orleans.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
No report
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
Conference July 24-27
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
No report
9. Round table Discussion
White: excused next month, speaking to federal legislators about geography education
Clayton: GIS position open at Conservation
Chamberlin: GIS user group met, five attendees and 12 regrets.
Warzinik: new GIS staff, gearing up for Esri dev summit.
J Schloss: e-permitting to be out end of June, multi-phase, first phase is land disturbance will include GIS component to sketch out area of disturbance, pretty cool.
Mitchell: thanks to the council for taking on the survey project.
Fox: wondering why there weren’t more proposals for the CAP grant.
Briedwell: used ArcGIS online for non-secure Branson tornado information, very handy.
Spicci: Chris Wieberg has been promoted, will have oversight over eGIS. Will be moving offices in two weeks. Hoping for an MGISAC meeting there in October. LiDAR project in four rivers area, two-foot posting.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, April 12, 2012, 9:00 a.m., USDA-NRCS Training Room, Room 232 Parkade Center, 601 Bus. Loop 70 West, Columbia, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:46 a.m.

Comments are closed.