April 12, 2012

Date: April 12, 2011
Location: USDA FSA Training Lab, Suite 225 Parkade Center, Columbia, Missouri
Time: 9:07 a.m.
Agenda
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:07 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Debbie Rathert

Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewell—present
USGS Ray Fox—excused
OA ITSD GIS Paul Wright—present
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell—present (proxy for Renee Robinson)
MoDOT Joe Carter—present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—present
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—present via teleconference
JFMO-EM Renee Robinson—excused
OA-ITSD Natural Resources Jeff Schloss—present via teleconference
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schloss—excused
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci—present (proxy for Amber Reynolds)
OA-ITSD Revenue Beth Struempf—present via teleconference
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—excused
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—absent
Great River Associates Josie Bock—present via teleconference
Camden County Leslie Chamberlin—present
Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Clayton—absent
USDA-NRCS Elizabeth Cook—present
Surdex Tim Donze—present
MOREnet David Drum—present
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—present
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—present via teleconference
Cole County Melissa Johnson—present
Sanborn Kevin Kuhlmann—present
MARC Steve Marsh—present
Jackson County Amber Reynolds—excused
City of Jefferson Greg Resz—absent
MoRAP Diane True—present
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—present
Boone County Jason Warzinik—present
MU Extension/Department of Geography Shannon White—present
Other Attendees
Esri Joe Eckmann
Lake of the Ozarks Council of City Governments

3. Approval of Minutes
March minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from White, seconded by Spicci, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright

  • The discussion on the Master Address File has been put on hold. Matt Hesser contacted OGI about a survey that the Federal-State Cooperative for Population Estimates (FSCPE) was developing. He is Missouri's representative on the co-op. The survey is just in a draft form but deals directly with master addressing files. We want to understand more about what this co-op is looking at before we commit resources to an internal project.
  • The aerial imagery/LiDAR RFP has been sent to the Local Government Committee for review and comment. The Data Development Committee will receive a copy for review/comment once we have incorporated changes and have more boilerplate attached.
  • The RFI's for Geocoding were reviewed and determined the costs are too high. We will be looking at internal solutions and requesting a copy of the geocoding solution that Kansas uses (called GEORGE). We might be able to utilize this as one option. We are also checking to see if can utilize an older geocoding solution being used at DHSS based on Pitney-Bowes. Process is slow for batches but we might be able to make modifications to speed it up. We will be looking closer at both options.
  • A memorandum of understanding (MOU) with MSDIS is being reviewed by ITSD Legal. The MOU will include metrics and a feedback loop. We hope to have this completed by mid-April.
  • The new OGI server is being loaded with software and should be ready for deployment in the next few weeks (production and development). The initial apps will be Redistricting and Stimulus. We have spoken to another state agency about using the server for the GIS services for an application they are building. We would also use this server to deploy enterprise wide apps like a geocoding solution.

4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell

  1. Martin is configuring one of our replaced servers as an “Archival” server. This will enable us to archive some imagery and other files and still have ready access to those files for quick retrieval.
  2. All naming conventions are normalized for data currently in the geoportal. This goes across the board. For the first time ever at MSDIS file titles, metadata titles and for the most part keywords have been normalized. We are starting to address the search issue with additional keywords as we move through the data sets. This has significantly improved search results we believe.
  3. I am awaiting notification (University IT are loading the final patches to the system server software) on MSDISWeb-TC. There is then the loading of the ESRI (ArcGIS, Geoportal and SDE) and SQL software (see IMPORTANT Note below). This will eventually make the TC server identical to MSDISWeb-NN. This would mean we'd finally have fully normalized web sites that can support our users in any event where the primary site goes down. When complete a test will be conducted of the fail-over capabilities that will result (we hope) in continued user functionality during a failure event—and the bringing up of the TC node as the new primary site.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: To that end—MSDISWeb will be DOWN for a short duration on Wednesday morning (April 18th) to ghost portions of the operating system and applications (NOT the data files—these will be moved separately and do not require downtime). We would have picked another offline time but the A&S people assisting with this are the ones choosing the time. Estimated downtime is 30 minutes to an hour). Messages will go out via the list server—MSDISNews—the day before—an hour before—and immediately the server comes back up.

    If this downtime will cause important issues for our users please contact us!

  4. Mark continues to attend a series of webinars on the new ISO 19115-1 standard presented by NOAA—this is based on his participation in the FGDC Metadata Working Group:

    This from Linda Wayne:

    ISO 19115-1, Geographic Information – Metadata—Part 1: Fundamentals, has reached Draft International Status (DIS). The standard is considered stable at this point and the INCITS L1 committee is calling for comments and member organization positions as to whether the standard should become finalized.

  5. Significant changes continue on the portal as Springfield's data goes up (30 data sets added this week—more to come)—thanks to Mike Fonner and team. Also we're looking at posting data sets provided by the Corps of Engineers (the lakes)—thanks to Tricia Tannehill and team.
  6. MSDIS will be presenting geoportal functionality at the next SEMO Symposium on June 20th.

4.3 Treasurer's report — Leslie Chamberlin

Previous balance $24,004.99  
Income $0.00  
Expense $17.81 Reimbursement to Mark Duewell for snacks for the Branson Advanced LiDAR workshop
Expense $500.00 MAGIC Photobooth Sponsorship
Ending balance $23,487.18  
Pending expense $71.40 Dreamhost account

MAGIC is requesting door prizes for a raffle during the social Tuesday night. A 2013 Missouri Conference registration was suggested. Motion from Gerike to provide two complimentary regular registrations as a single door prize at the MAGIC Symposium, seconded by Kuhlmann, approved by vote.
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
Report provided to Cook and Drum. All members in good standing at this time. New by-laws regarding membership and attendance will be in effect after this meeting.
4.5 By-laws — Liz Cook
No by-laws revisions provided by cutoff. Update from White regarding strategic planning discussions about officer succession. General cleanup of by-laws also likely.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 Getting involved through committees — Liz Cook
Cook explained that she has worked to make committees the meat of the council. This is due to our history of having drawn-out conversations in council meetings that are committee topics. If you are not participating in a committee then you are not really participating in the council. Mention of requiring committee participation. Discussion about how to bring new people into committees.
5.2 GIS Survey to Local Governments — Local Government committee
Gerike: incorporated comments from last meeting. Creating an email version of survey. Interviewed and selected a student to make the calls. Will begin calls with known local government staff. Calls will begin next week. Discussion about collecting contact and other long-term information.
5.3 Listservs — Liz Cook
How to share contact information? Discussion about email volume, mailing list complaints, LinkedIn group, MGISAC member-only mailing list. Motion from Kuhlmann, seconded by True, to create an MGISAC council list.
5.4 2013 Missouri GIS Conference — Andy Wagner, Aaron Addison
Wagner: conference meeting following the May meeting. Reynolds working on the 2013 conference web site. Site visit to be scheduled. Flyers to be included in MAGIC Symposium attendee packets.
5.5 MAGIC Travel Grants — Liz Cook
White and Marsh have been awarded the travel grants.
5.6 Data Sharing — Tony Spicci
Connecticut SB426 moving forward with FOIA exemption. Hesser noted that the Hancock amendment may impact data sharing. Comments that it only applies to first class counties. Discussion.
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Ray Fox
Data Development meeting held on March 27. There will be a Lidar Stakeholders meeting in May to plan for next years acquisition (doodle poll is out to determine date and place).
6.2 Homeland Security — Debbie Briedwell
Working with Gerike to raise awareness of upcoming local government survey. Map book updates beginning next month. Biggest complaint about book have been about road data.
6.3 Local Government — Matt Gerike, Melissa Johnson, Leslie Chamberlin, Jason Warzinik
No more to add
6.4 Outreach and Education — Mark Duewell, Shannon White
Duewell: met recently via conference call. Discussed future workshops and symposia. SEMO workshop to be held June 20. Lake Area workshop in September in the works. Next technical workshop on LiDAR in August at Washington University in St. Louis. Potential symposium in the Green Hills area in the fall. Planning will begin in June. Request for technical workshop in Kansas City. Marsh is the point person. Effort to improve exit surveys. White: Esri Statewide License for K-12 moving forward through the Missouri Geographic Alliance assuming legal approvals are forthcoming. Geography Awareness Week coming up in November. GeoTech camp is the third week in July for grades 6-9.
6.5 Policy and Legislation — Joe Clayton
Rules meeting this afternoon on the Cadastral standard. Discussion about prospects of different federal legislation.
6.6 Strategic Planning — Shannon White
What is the role of the council? Should the council publish white papers instead of taking positions? What is MGISAC’s responsibility to the State? What is the responsibility to the state (GIS users as a whole)? What is the relationship with the OGI? Feel free to join us in answering these and other exciting questions.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Steve Marsh
Exhibit hall full, short course registrations at 122% of projections, registrations middle of the road. Hotel room block over; hotel full due to other events in the area.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Paul Wright

  • NACo/NSGIC Activities Report, March 2012: http://www.naco.org/meetings/participate/LegislativeConference/Presentations/Bill%20Burgess%20-%20NSGIC%20Activities%20Report.pdf
  • COGO Data Sharing Work Group: http://www.nsgic.org/public_resources/2012MY_COGO-Data-Sharing-Panel.pdf
  • NAIP Program Could be Cancelled in 2012 email: Bill Burgess, Washington Liaison sent a questionnaire regarding use and budget for NAIP. Various replies to the survey but have not seen the overall results.
  • Senate GIS Work Group, Feb 29: To facilitate personal meetings between NSGIC State Representatives and their respective members of the Senate GIS Work Group to help identify resources such as Summer Interns, GIS data and GIS services from their respective states. No further update.

8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
8.2 USGS — Ray Fox
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
MORAP and EastWest Gateway imagery coming soon.
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
MMA conference in July.
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
No report
9. Round table Discussion
Spicci: Participating on LANDSAT advisory committee for Congress, money for 8 to launch with a little left over, but nothing for 9 or 10. First face-to-face meeting on Monday. NGAC focusing on addressing. First call for presentations for NSGIC conference in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. 2013 NSGIC in Kansas City.
White: Going to Capitol Hill speaking on behalf of the Missouri Geographic Alliance in support of the Teaching Geography act. Geography Bee was successful, with 267 schools participating.
Carter: new state road map has been requested, moving from a CAD source to a GIS source.
Chamberlin: LAGIStic group going very well.
Eckmann: Law Enforcement seminars last week, 25 in KC, 30 in St. L. Went really well. Esri Dev Meetup scheduled for the Wednesday of MAGIC Symposium.
Gerike: watershed and risk mapping projects.
Hung: Sponsored a spatial award at the Kansas City Science Fair.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, May 10, 2012, 9:00 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:41 a.m.

1 comment to April 12, 2012

  • Tim Donze

    An update on NAIP for those not yet aware…

    The protest has been dismissed and the program is moving forward for 2012 which includes Missouri.