Minutes for May 9, 2013

Date: May 9, 2013
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:00 a.m.
Agenda
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:05 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewell—present
USGS Ray Fox—present
OA ITSD GIS Paul Wright—excused
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell, Vice-chair—present
MoDOT Joe Carter—present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—present
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—absent
Missouri National Guard Drew Lane—absent
OA-ITSD Natural Resources Jeff Schloss—present via teleconference
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schloss—excused
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci—present
OA-ITSD Revenue Beth Struempf—present via teleconference
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—excused
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—present via teleconference
Great River Associates Josie Bock—present via teleconference
Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Clayton—excused
USDA-NRCS Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer and Past Chair—present
Surdex Tim Donze—present
MOREnet David Drum, Secretary—present
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—present via teleconference
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—present
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—present via teleconference
Cole County Melissa Johnson—excused
MARC Steve Marsh, Chair—present (proxy for Joe Clayton)
Jackson County Amber Reynolds—present
City of Jefferson Greg Resz—absent
Sanborn Mapping Kenny Legleiter—present via teleconference
MoRAP Diane True—present via teleconference
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—excused
Boone County Jason Warzinik—present via teleconference (proxy for Melissa Johnson)
MU Extension/Department of Geography Shannon White—present
Other Attendees
Census Bureau Craig Best
OGI Alexis Geiseker (proxy for Tracy Schloss)
Fugro Earth Data Keith Owens
OGI Arnold Williams

3. Approval of Minutes
April minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from White, seconded by Reynolds, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright
Aerial Imagery/LiDAR RFP: We received 10 bid responses on April 2. The first bid review meeting was on Friday, April 19. The group will meet again on May 10 to subjectively review bids. Bid review team: Joe Carter, Jason Warzinik, Liz Cook, Tony Spicci, Arnold Williams.
4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell

  1. GeoPortal: Data layers are being slowly but steadily loaded by Louisa into the Portal. Available data layers now total 378. Many of the files newly added are significantly dated files — historical census files etc… — many from the 2000 census and earlier. Louisa is having to split her time between the Geoportal and the Broadband Surveys effort which has slowed the effort temporarily.
  2. Virtualization of the MSDIS-Web servers: So far — knock on wood — the virtualized servers have proven extremely stable — it’s too early to call it all good — but we’ve heard no complaints — and after we normalized admin licenses it's been smooth sailing since. Do please let us know if you experience any problems. We have tested data recovery and numerous switches of the primary servers to backup servers with no issues encountered.
  3. Data.Gov: Still no word from Doug Nebert (USGS) about Data.Gov starting to harvest us again. We’re waiting for them to begin to wrestle with the various portal aspects.
  4. Broadband “Structures” Project: Sub-contracts are in the mail for all but the two largest metro areas. Those contracts are still being worked on and will require meeting with both entities we believe.
  5. MSDIS will be attending the 2013 MAGIC Clearinghouse Summit in North Dakota (August 27-29th). Planning is well advanced (somewhat ahead of schedule) and the agenda should be incredible if all works out….
  6. Mark, Chris and Lindlie attended a USGS sponsored meeting to discuss their volunteers program that will begin collecting structures in Missouri. Both our current program and their developing program in Missouri (and elsewhere) were demonstrated and discussed.
  7. MSDIS featured in a recent (March 1st, 2013) EPA blog article — along with CARES and MORAP. The blog — The Big Blue Thread — is “a blog for spatial science and the environment in America's heartland”. The article can be found here: http://blog.epa.gov/bigbluethread/2013/03/which-one-of-these-states-is-not-like-the-other/
  8. Reminder — MOLiDAR — has been launched. Public comments are always welcome. The service is available in both LAS: (http://www.msdis.missouri.edu/data/lidar/download/index.html)
    And DEM form: http://www.msdis.missouri.edu/data/lidar/download/modem.html

4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook

$119.40

Previous balance $19,562.61  
Income None $0.00
Expense Dreamhost Web Hosting
Ending balance $19,443.21  

We have received a check from Custom Meeting Planners for the amount of $8794,18 for proceeds from the 2013 Missouri GIS Conference. Once the check is deposited, the balance will be $28356.79.
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
Eighteen members will be rolling off the Council at the end of June unless renominated. Requests to be renominated have been received from 14 members. Motion from Cook that, pending acceptance by each member individually, all existing council members be renominated for membership. Seconded by White, approved by vote.
4.5 By-laws — Steve Marsh
By-laws changes not available prior to the meeting.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 Update on statewide aerials — Ray Fox
See Data Development report below. Comment from Cook that we know imagery gets enormous use once available, but no one wants to pay or participate in a consortium. How to address this? Donze responded that it is an education/familiarity effort. Spicci noted that NSGIC created some materials for Imagery for the Nation that could be useful to communicate the value of consortium agreements. Joe Carter suggested paying a marketing/communications company to develop materials specific to this effort. Cook responded that we seem to need “boots on the ground” at the events locals attend. Gerike commented that locals have money but are looking for a different product than the State. Product discussion. Marsh commented that the counties are going to fly anyway; the State agencies need to pony up to get the effort underway. Donze commented that Minnesota has an excellent imagery program. Consensus to review NSGIC materials in advance of creating our own, then decide about outside consulting and outreach methods. Motion from White to allocate $1,000 for the development of materials for the promotion of a coordinated imagery program in Missouri. Seconded by Donze. Friendly amendment from Duewell to raise the amount to $5,000. Friendly amendment to change purpose of money to marketing a coordinated imagery program. Discussion. Approved unanimously by vote.
5.2 Demonstration of MSDIS GeoPortal search functionality — Mark Duewell
Online demonstration. Discussion about GeoPortal capabilities.
5.3 Strategic Planning Discussion — Shannon White
Postponed
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Ray Fox
Imagery: April 16 state-wide imagery meeting: 27 attended. State agencies agreed to 1/2 meter or 2 foot depending on bids from state contract. Locals all asked for 6”. Kansas City area and Camden County wants 2014 flight, remainder of state 2015. Ray is collecting local requirements, to date Boone, Columbia, Cole – Callaway, and National Guard areas received.
May 2 MACOG briefing: Ray gave briefing on leaf-off meeting and plans to MACOG at their board meeting. RPC's asked to help spread the word to their local constituents. Comments from board members included why this isn't a state program with regular acquisitions, what materials the board could use to help promote, and to ask for state wide flight at 6″ resolution, the RPC's could then go out to fill unfunded areas.
Lidar: Mo-Grand project QA completed at USGS, Surdex will complete review of calls and make corrections where needed.
MS River – Perry County: Report completed 4/18/2013, not accepted. Report sent to USACE-Rock Island for action.
6.2 Homeland Security — Debbie Briedwell
No report
6.3 Local Government — Matt Gerike, Melissa Johnson, Jason Warzinik
No report. Marsh asked when the survey results will be available. Gerike replied that it is still pending.
6.4 Outreach and Education — Mark Duewell, Shannon White
Duewell: West central regional workshop has been refocused as an advanced LiDAR workshop. 7/29 at MARC offices. Agenda very close to approval. Greg Brunner from Esri presenting, also Drew Lane, several other volunteers. Workshop interest from MOKAN in St. Joseph; they are doing a lot of the organizing. Drum reported attacks on WordPress web sites (mgisac.org runs WordPress) and security response from State which made the site read-only for a period of time. State has since added allowed IP ranges for administrative access for Drum and Warzinik. Again, not a long-term solution. Drum asked Williams to inquire about the possibility of a different, preferred content management system.
6.5 Policy and Legislation — Joe Clayton
Marsh: SB 23 amendment 22 will pass out of conference committee according to Clayton. Not sure what the GIS impact is. Also, email went out about Assessors technology fee. Discussion about HB46 “unwarranted surveillance” act.
6.6 Strategic Planning — Shannon White
No report
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Amber Reynolds
Second round of submissions, received 20. Beginning review. Hosting an NG911 and GIS workshop in St. Louis.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Paul Wright
Spicci: HR1604 single mapping agency, similar to previous bills. NSGIC will probably take a position.
8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
Stewardship of watershed boundary dataset ramping up. Question from Jeff Schloss about the need for an MOU per state. Looking for volunteers (i.e. students) interested in resume-building projects. Different LiDAR flights in process.
8.2 USGS — Ray Fox
Water science crews handled recent flooding. 3D Elevation Program made it into the Federal budget. Volunteering opportunities at USGS also. Speaking May 16 at Fort Leonard Wood.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
Request for LANDSAT 8 imagery to play with. Contact Clayton Blodgett. Fox to follow up.
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
Marsh: Call for presentations for conference went out last week. Conference July 23-26 at Tan-Tar-A.
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
No report. Cook and Jeff Schloss commented/confirmed that Surveyors are moving from DNR to Agriculture.
9. Round table Discussion
Duewell: expanding broadband project and adding 7 students.
Carter: GIS-T conference in Boise, ID.
White: Changing jobs, moving to 4-H. Big changes in the Geography department; multiple people leaving.
Briedwell: a group is moving from Health to SEMA.
Reynolds: Parcel project.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, June 13, 2013, 9:00 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:56 a.m.

Comments are closed.