Minutes for May 7, 2014

Date: May 7, 2014
Location: Missouri Department of Conservation, Columbia, MO
Time: 9:00 a.m.
Agenda
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:05 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewell—present
USGS Ray Fox—present
OA ITSD GIS Paul Wright—excused
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell, Chair—present (proxy for Drum)
MoDOT Joe Carter—present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—excused
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—present via teleconference
Missouri National Guard Drew Lane—excused
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schloss—present
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci—present (proxy for C. Duewell)
OA-ITSD Revenue Beth Struempf—absent
Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources Michael Weller—present
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—present via teleconference
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—present
Great River Associates Josie Bock—absent
Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Clayton—present via teleconference
USDA-NRCS Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer—present
Surdex Tim Donze—present
MOREnet David Drum, Secretary—excused
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—absent
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—present via teleconference
Woolpert, Inc. Rick Hammond—present via teleconference
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—present via teleconference
Cole County Melissa Johnson—present (proxy for Warzinik)
Sanborn Mapping vacant—absent
MARC Steve Marsh, Past Chair—present
Jackson County Amber Reynolds, Chair-elect—present
City of Jefferson Greg Resz—absent
MoRAP Diane True—present
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—excused
Boone County Jason Warzinik—present via teleconference
MU Extension Shannon White—present
Other Attendees
SEMA Scott Zeller

3. Approval of Minutes
April minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Spicci, seconded by Marsh, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright

  • No Report. Paul out of office.
  • OGI Server upgrade is main focus.
  • Spicci asked if there is any update on imagery. Briedwell/Schloss: No.
  • Cook asked if it is too late to upgrade NAIP. Donze: No.

4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell

  1. Structures project now at 5M+ with ~279K footprints.
  2. All but one RPC is complete with Phase I, some starting Phase II.
  3. Continued Geoportal issues.
  4. DOIT Meeting yesterday.
  5. 680 Portal is still functioning, FTP downloads still working. No clip and ship functions other than for LiDAR.
  6. Cook: KC Corp is also doing footprints in floodplains of MO River.

4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook
No bills have cleared. Pending $1,200 bill from Custom Meeting Planners for MoGIS site selection.

Previous balance   $21,563.15
Income None $0.00
Expense None $0.00
Ending balance   $21,563.15

4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
US Forest Service, Tom Forbes is officially a member. Sanborn needs to assign a representative since Kenny has left. Members rolling off at the end of June are numerous. All are still active. All agreed to re-nominate.
4.5 By-laws — Liz Cook
None.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 Elections — Debbie Briedwell
Chair-elect was the only contested office. The winner was Spicci with 13 votes with White receiving 9 votes.
5.2 Local Government Survey
The Local Government survey update process is in the early phases.
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Ray Fox
Imagery:
East West Gateway is ready for the 2015 flight. NGA is exploring ways to partner. One option would be to use either the USGS or USACE-St. Louis IDIQ contracts. NGA cannot partner directly with nonfederal agencies, using a federal contract will allow them to partner. Another option they are exploring is working with EDC, not sure this will be available in time.
Jefferson City-Columbia: NGA would like to partner on this project as well, same restrictions as for East-West Gateway.
Fox has provided NGA (Bill Nellist) a list of the principal contacts for both projects.
Marsh: MARC received pilot imagery ahead of schedule.
Fly Mid MO met with Mid MO RPC, expanding partners. SEMA interested in data if available, but no funding to partner.
SEMA mapping imagery discussions about using dated imagery. Debbie encouraged Scott Z to talk with Paul Wright.
LiDAR:
MO-AR 2014 project progresses, all areas have been flown. The first delivery is expected this week.
Fox: Perry County LiDAR has some issues that preclude it from putting in the national map. STL Corp is working with the contractor to fix things.
Liz submitted LiDAR strategic plan focusing on 19 counties of Ag lands. Forested counties are outside of the strategic plan due to no other partners stepping up. MDC is hoping to fund future LiDAR in forested areas.
Cook: There is continued interest in processing derivative LiDAR products. Liz has done some pilot work for derivatives, but it is not something the NRCS could do in house. USGS is doing some. Wash U said that they could use FME to create derivatives, but they don’t have the raw LAS files for everything in MSDIS.
Point Addressing / E911:
Marsh: talked with a Next Gen 911 person (Mathew Night) at MAGIC about the need for standard data structure. Further discussion is needed and KS can be a sample case. Marsh has talked with Sara Linn Hayes about developing a committee, updates to follow asking for participation. Steve Marsh will follow up with the newly created NextGen 911 committee.
Spicci: NGAC is currently working on a national addressing database and standards to be part of the A16. It should be done by the end of the year for the 2020 census.
Data Development Chair:
Ray Fox will be retiring July 3. Liz Cook has agreed to chair the LiDAR group; imagery should have its own chair or leader along with the other programs.
USGS Liaisons are being restructured back to a centralized regional structure. It is still unknown which liaison will take over.
6.2 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
Met last month to discuss updating the local government GIS report.
Discussed hands on workshop / training. The latest plan will be to work with Colin on the Outreach group as to not conflict with Shannon’s training efforts.
6.3 Education — Shannon White

  • 8th grader from Wentzville was the State Geographic Bee winner and is going to National Geographic Bee May 19-20, 2014.
  • Andy Tilmon, an AP Human Geography teacher from Cape Girardeau has been selected to go to S. Korea on a geographic trip.
  • Missouri Geographic Alliance & Kansas Geographic Alliance will be hosting a Historical Geography & GIS focused 1 day symposium with Kansas City in first weekend in Oct to promote GIS in the class room.
  • National Geographic is promoting GeoTours. Local call to elementary school teachers for participation in the creation of simple statebased GIS tours.
  • Next month more info on grant from NSF here in MO.
  • Short education committee discussion after today’s meeting.
  • Looking for help with Fort Wood GPS with kids effort. Shannon has a conflict with ESRI Conference the week of July 14th. Fox suggested Scott McIntyre at Fort Wood may be interested in helping. Shannon to contact.
  • GeoTech camp has 6 preregistered kids, this is more interest than in the past. Camp registration is open through May.

6.4 Outreach — Colin Duewell, Tim Donze
No report.
6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
No report.
6.6 Policy and Legislation — Joe Clayton
No report.
6.7 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike
No report.
6.8 Missouri GIS Conference — Mark Duewell
Mo GIS Flyer was on display at MAGIC. With Jamie busy with MAGIC, Mo GIS efforts were on the back burner until MAGIC was finished.
Finalized dates are February 17-19. NSGIC conference is Feb 23-26.
MOGISCON2015.com
Discussion on future domain that we can keep for 2017 and beyond.
Still positions open. Looking for participants on future phone discussion to add input and ideas.
Richard Cramer won the free MoGIS conference attendance voucher at MAGIC.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Amber Reynolds
2014 symposium was last week. Fill out the survey please. Short attention span theater was a success. Lower vendor attendance will be analyzed. Moving to Overland Park. Keynotes were very good. Wes (AR Game and Fish) and Shelby Johnson gave a great search and rescue story. Vendor night was a big hit.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci

  • Along with NGAC, pushing for national addressing database and standard.
  • Working on promotion materials for ArcGIS online for congress. is in place through Library of Congress.
  • Restructuring finalized with some new committees.
  • Breakout session report NSDI, Addressing, Homeland Security and Transportation now available.
  • GAO was at the Mid Year focusing on redundancy in government. Interviewing select states. Concerns with the reduction in the liaison program were discussed with the GAO.
  • Letter of support for wetlands restoration is being sent to NWI / Fish & Wildlife Service. Workings with state wetlands people. Climate disruption is pushing to costal resilience funding and wetland but not much funding for inlands. FY 16 is when wetlands funding is to go away.
  • Coordinating the NSDI topics and trying to move them forward. Build it once and use it many times. Slow progress.
  • Annual conference coming up in Charleston SC. Agenda in the works.

8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
No report.
8.2 USGS — Ray Fox
Old copper plates for mapping are available. Cost is shipping. Provided in sets of three. First offering is to government, groups, and agencies. Shannon plans to make a group order.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
Website backend changes have been made. Any links from your site to their site might be broken.
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
Annual meeting will be July 22-25 Country Club in Lake Ozark. Registration has not opened yet.
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
No report.
9. Round table Discussion
Balsman: Is there funding for counties to building an addressing database. Spicci, Possibly NGAC.
Cook: someone contacted Liz about century farms point location information. Is there data available?
Clayton: GIST has a top projects publication that is interesting. MO board on geographic names. Involved with Hannibal workshop.
Spicci: MDC still has a position pending. A new ECS person has been hired to replace Tim Neigh after his retirement.
Reynolds: Jackson Co has a GIS position open.
Schloss: Health interactive maps are being ported to mobile friendly. All FLEX maps are being rewritten in HTML/Javascript.
Briedwell, drone used to look in sink hole in Pensacola. Drone used for tornado in AR and the users may be fined. Spicci, FAA licensing is similar to getting a pilot’s license. More UAS discussion.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, June 12, 2014, 9:00 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:50 a.m.

1 comment to Minutes for May 7, 2014

  • East West Gateway is ready for the 2015 flight. NGA is exploring ways to partner. One option would be to use either the USGS or USACE-St. Louis IDIQ contracts.