Minutes for April 10, 2014

Date: April 10, 2014
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:00 a.m.
Agenda
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:05 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewell—present
USGS Ray Fox—present
OA ITSD GIS Paul Wright—present via teleconference
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell, Chair—present (proxy for White, Lane)
MoDOT Joe Carter—present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—present
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—present via teleconference
Missouri National Guard Drew Lane—excused
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schloss—present via teleconference
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci—present
OA-ITSD Revenue Beth Struempf—present via teleconference
Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources Michael Weller—present
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—excused
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—excused
Great River Associates Josie Bock—present via teleconference
Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Clayton—present via teleconference
USDA-NRCS Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer—present
Surdex Tim Donze—present
MOREnet David Drum, Secretary—present
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—excused
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—present
Woolpert, Inc. Rick Hammond—absent
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—present via teleconference
Cole County Melissa Johnson—present
Sanborn Mapping Kenny Legleiter—absent
MARC Steve Marsh, Past Chair—present via teleconference
Jackson County Amber Reynolds, Chair-elect—excused
City of Jefferson Greg Resz—present via teleconference
MoRAP Diane True—present via teleconference
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—absent
Boone County Jason Warzinik—present (proxy for Gerike)
MU Extension Shannon White—excused
Other Attendees
NW RCoG Nathan Barnes (teleconference)
Esri Joe Eckmann
MSDIS Tim Haithcoat

3. Approval of Minutes
March minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Cook, seconded by Spicci, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright

  • Imagery/Data Development I completed the follow-up with the organizations that I sent the imagery presentation to (MACOG, Southeast, Southwest RPC, Bootheel). I did get a call from Reynolds County expressing their interest and would like to be kept informed of progress.
  • Internal Projects Server Consolidation – moving forward with the consolidation of OGI and DHSS servers. This will distribute costs of the servers and software amongst 6 different organizations, greatly reducing the costs for DHSS. Chemical Sites Buffer Map – The Missouri State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) requires a web map that provides buffer analysis for chemical sites in the State of Missouri. Special Tax Districts – DOR provides a paper map that provides a variety of information related to special tax districts. The map is becoming very difficult to read because of the amount of data. OGI will be meeting with DOR to discuss providing this as an online map with the capability of turning off and on the various data layers.
  • Reviewing applications to ensure that they are mobile-ready.
  • Awaiting a response to a new decision item (NDI) that was put out by ITSD to see if there would be funding available for statewide imagery. We probably won’t know about a decision until late April or early May.

Question from Spicci about upgrades to Imagery for the State asking if letters of support would be helpful. Wright said yes and Hesser suggested working though legislative liaisons. Wright to send additional information to Briedwell.
4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell

  1. GeoPortal: Efforts continue to improve the Portal’s search capabilities. Louisa Haithcoat has now configured 1546 of 4973 files that make up the 2007-2009 2’ Imagery for the State for the GeoPortal. When the metadata manipulation required for GIS Inventory/FGDC is complete they’ll all go up at once. Current Portal record count is still 531.
  2. Broadband “Structures” Project: Structures Digitizing Progress: We’re now at 4,436,129 points (previously 4,357,041) as of this past Friday – and 270,765 footprints (previously 207,010) completed or acquired through sharing by communities involved. The initial “Structures” Phase II efforts by some of the earlier trained RPCs are beginning to come in and be added to the analysis.
  3. On a fiscally separate – but related project – GRC/MSDIS staff completed a small “Structures” effort for two Kansas counties – Doniphan and Atchison – in collaboration with DASC and MOKan. The data has been delivered to MOKan for their review and then will be supplied to DASC. This project was revolved around completing the MOKan Structures framework so that they had a finished product for all of their counties – both Missouri and Kansas and was funded directly by MOKan.

4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook

Income None $0.00
Expense MAGIC exhibit booth split with MSDIS $250.00
Expense Dreamhost $119.40
Expense Custom Meeting Planners Site Selection Contract $1200.00
Ending balance   $21,563.15

4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
US Forest Service, represented by Tom Forbes, has been approved for membership.
4.5 By-laws — Debbie Briedwell
By-laws changes distributed by Briedwell electronically prior to the ten-day window and as a handout at the meeting. Changes include new section 5.4 defining the fiscal year. Motion from Briedwell, seconded by Drum, to adopt the changes. Approved unanimously. Officer nominations are now open as a consequence of these changes.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 Future Meeting Schedule — Debbie Briedwell
Wright had requested discussing changing the meeting schedule to bi-monthly (every other month). No particular enthusiasm expressed for changing the schedule.
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Ray Fox
Lidar:
Lidar strategic planning meeting held March 24, NRCS office, Columbia MO. Report attached
MO-AR 2014 Lidar project: Acquisition continues with all of Arkansas completed, remainder of SE Missouri flights in progress, moving to northern MO to complete collection. Four pilot areas submitted to the consortium, USGS completed their assessment and submitted to Ted Stanton on 4/7.
USGS 3DEP Fact Sheet published March 27. Copies provided to MGISAC, State Geologist and USGS science centers.
Imagery: Flymoimagery.com is now linked to the MGISAC website. Paul and Jason continue to add information. Paul Wright reported in the OA report: “Imagery/Data Development I completed the follow-up with the organizations that I sent the imagery presentation to (MACOG, Southeast, Southwest RPC, Bootheel). I did get a call from Reynolds County expressing their interest and would like to be kept informed of progress.” Cook: Changes to the NAIP buy-up. Marsh: all but two flight lines have been captured in the MARC area. Donze: St. Louis area is fully acquired; data to go out to partners in a week or two.
Structures: Mark Duewell reported in the MSDIS report: “2. Broadband “Structures” Project: Structures Digitizing Progress: We’re now at 4,436,129 points (previously 4,357,041) as of this past Friday – and 270,765 footprints (previously 207,010) completed or acquired through sharing by communities involved. The initial “Structures” Phase II efforts by some of the earlier trained RPCs are beginning to come in and be added to the analysis.”
NHD: A requirement for the NHD stewardship grant to DNR included a presentation at the NHD conference. This conference along with The National Map conference has been cancelled due to sequestration guidance, therefore USGS agreed that an article in the monthly NHD newsletter would suffice. Jeff Schloss and Mike Kruse submitted their article on March 7. DNR has been very progressive in their applications of the NHD including an online e-permitting system for land disturbance permits. This has significantly reduced the time required for processing these permits.
6.2 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
Meeting immediately after this meeting to discuss survey.
6.3 Education — Shannon White
No report.
6.4 Outreach — Colin Duewell, Tim Donze
Duewell: finalizing the agenda for the May 22nd Northeast GIS workshop. Registration will open afterward. Donze: contacting potential presenters, building the exact schedule.
6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
Looking at adding graphics and rich text to email messages.
6.6 Policy and Legislation — Joe Clayton
Carter: One-cent sales tax for transportation has made it through the House. Ozark Scenic Waterway takeover bill is dead.
6.7 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike
No report.
6.8 2015 Missouri GIS Conference — Mark Duewell
Conference chairs are mostly in place. Would like to have more local people in co-chair roles. Have visited the site again and staff have been very helpful. Anticipate a conference call soon. Discussion about getting insurance for the conference. Cook to get a price for the policy.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Amber Reynolds
Spicci: early registration now closed but registration still open. Registrations are at 79% of target. Conference is financially viable at this point. Short courses are at their target. Exhibitors are way, way down especially at higher sponsorship levels. Other conferences are having the same problems. A few presentation holes remain. More posters are always welcome. Discussion. MGISAC will give away a free short course registration for the 2015 Missouri GIS Conference as a door prize.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci

  • NSGIC is working with Congress and Esri on ArcGIS Online for Congressional offices. Developing documentation. Trial subscription available. Raising awareness of GIS.
  • Working with COGO on GIS guidelines for Congress. Document available soon.
  • Final document discussing imagery, addressing, transportation, etc. for the Nation available soon.
  • NGA, Navteq high-field road data, only three months behind Federal data. This is available to state agencies including EOC, economic development, etc. Briedwell thinks it may be more restricted and less frequent. Spicci will verify.

8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
MoArk LiDAR acquisition will be a ton of data. MSDIS/WashU involved as data hosts. Prepare for a big onslaught of data. There is a need for standard derivative products like contours and elevation. Discussion. HEL compliance for desktop review pilot going into a second year. Collecting some very small 3 and 6 inch areas.
8.2 USGS — Ray Fox
USGS is moving NED dataset to Rolla on October 1. Will all be available through the National Map. Elevation could be as good as 1 meter. Derivative products will also be available. 3DEP elevation program fact sheet available. Geographic names meeting on the 20th.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
Will be a steering committee meeting at the CERC on May 1, 10:00. No technical meeting. All are welcome.
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
New newsletter being drafted. If you want anything to go into it, please send it to Melissa.
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
No report.
9. Round table Discussion
Warzinik: 2015 flight coordination beginning soon. Look for the flyer.
Haithcoat: Did the NWS move from Google maps to Esri maps? Eckmann: yes.
Cook: NGO Missouri River Bird Survey iPad data collection app is really amazing. NPR report on the difference between “Ukraine” and “the Ukraine”.
Spicci: NGAC meeting recently. Focus areas: geospatial platform, NSDI, NGDAMP. Rundown of working committees. Next meetings in June, September. http://fgdc.gov/ngac
Briedwell: Rainfall and flash flooding rush presentation for the Governor. Interesting data generated for the presentation may have a future. Fox: request for low-water bridges data.
Haithcoat: Article about Columbia career center GIS graduates joining an international team.
Briedwell: Will send out a Doodle poll to determine the date of the May MGISAC meeting.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, May TBA, 2014, 9:00 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:08 a.m.

2 comments to Minutes for April 10, 2014

  • Ray

    I missed some of the discussion but didn’t Paul mention he had sent in a request for state funding of imagery? Didn’t see it in your notes.