Minutes for March 13, 2014
Date: March 13, 2014
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:00 a.m.
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:07 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions
|Missouri Spatial Data Information Service||Mark Duewell—present|
|OA ITSD GIS||Paul Wright—excused||State|
|SEMA||Debbie Briedwell, Chair—present|
|OA ITSD Economic Development||Colin Duewell—present|
|OA Budget and Planning||Matt Hesser—present via teleconference|
|Missouri National Guard||Drew Lane—present|
|OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services||Tracy Schloss—excused|
|Department of Conservation||Tony Spicci—present|
|OA-ITSD Revenue||Beth Struempf—present via teleconference|
|Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources||Michael Weller—present||Cooperating|
|Washington University in St. Louis||Aaron Addison—excused|
|SEMO RPC||Stan Balsman—absent|
|Great River Associates||Josie Bock—present via teleconference|
|Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors||Joe Clayton—absent|
|USDA-NRCS||Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer—present|
|MOREnet||David Drum, Secretary—present|
|City of Columbia||Matt Gerike—excused|
|Camden County||Jennifer Gordon—absent|
|Woolpert, Inc.||Rick Hammond—excused|
|Northwest Missouri State University||Ming-Chih Hung—excused|
|Cole County||Melissa Johnson— present (proxy for Gerike, Warzinik)|
|Sanborn Mapping||Kenny Legleiter—absent|
|MARC||Steve Marsh, Past Chair—present|
|Jackson County||Amber Reynolds, Chair-elect—present|
|City of Jefferson||Greg Resz—absent|
|MoRAP||Diane True—present via teleconference|
|City of Maryland Heights||Andy Wagner—excused|
|Boone County||Jason Warzinik—excused|
|MU Extension||Shannon White—present||Other Attendees|
|NW RCoG||Nathan Barnes (teleconference)|
|City of Branson||Curtis Copeland|
|USFS||Tom Forbes (teleconference)|
|Woolpert, Inc.||Sam Moffett (teleconference)|
|Fugro Geospatial, Inc.||Keith Owens (teleconference)|
|DHSS||Jeff Patridge (teleconference) (proxy for Tracy Schloss)|
|Custom Meeting Planners||Jamie Schieber|
3. Approval of Minutes
February minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Johnson, seconded by Cook, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright
- Imagery/Data Development We are waiting to hear if our new decision item on imagery will be accepted or not. This might not be until May.
I am following-up with some of the organizations that I sent the imagery presentation to, such as MACOG. I had not received any other correspondence from them since that info was sent last month.
- GIS Server Consolidation We are moving ahead with an initial server consolidation. This would include 6 organizations sharing the costs of the services. This will reduce overall server and software costs. We will look at further consolidation in a later phase.
In coordination with the consolidation we will be upgrading to ArcGIS 10.2.
- National Address Database Sat in on a webinar to discuss a National Address DB on 3/6/14. This was presented by the US Census Bureau. They asked that we provide a note of support for the project the week of 3/10/14. There was quite a bit of discussion on the impacts and incentives for doing the project. I have taken this up through OA/ITSD management for discussion.
4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell
- GeoPortal: Efforts continue to improve the Portal’s search capabilities. Louisa Haithcoat has configured 1200 of 4973 files that make up the 2007-2009 2-foot Imagery for the State for the GeoPortal. When the metadata manipulation required for GIS Inventory/FGDC is complete they’ll all go up at once. Additional Portal cleanup is continuing; work is still focused on the Portal’s geodatabase. A number of new data sets have been coming in from DNR and OGI recently updated the DESE data sets. New record count is 531 (up from 512).
- Virtualization of the MSDIS-Web servers: The physical Rolla site server and storage has been set up by DoIT. Virtual partition will be created on it for MSDISWeb (GeoPortal) and MSDISImagery. Currently Martin is installing newer versions of the operating system and application software. Then there will be a period of testing.
- Broadband “Structures” Project: Structures Digitizing Progress: We’re now at 4,357,041 points (previously 3,583,547) as of this past Tuesday – and 207,010 footprints (previously 75,188) completed or acquired through sharing by communities involved.
4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
Mark Twain National Forest has expressed interest in joining, but we lack a contact name.
4.5 By-laws — Liz Cook
No changes submitted within the window.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 2015 Missouri GIS Conference Site Selection Report — Mark Duewell
Presentation. February 23-26, 2015. Ramada Oasis, Springfield, MO. Discussion. NSGIC Mid-year is the same week, so we will have to ask the hotel about other dates.
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Ray Fox
State wide leaf off: Paul Wright reports materials sent to MACOG concerning the leaf off imagery.
NAIP Buy Up: ?. Spicci: more advance notice is needed.
NGA 133 Urban Area Program: NGA is still in discussion with several federal agencies to assume the consortium development efforts USGS liaisons did. Program is still funded at this time. NGA plans on using the USGS contracting service for this work, not sure if that is the only contract they can use. Problem lies in NGA not legislated to work directly with local government, need a federal partner as does the Corps.
MARC Project: Ready to fly, waiting for snow to melt.
St. Louis consortium: Used state contract, waiting for flying season to begin. Area covers St. Louis City and County plus St. Peters in St. Charles County.
Columbia – Jefferson City: No update
2014 Elevation Inventory: Working on updating the US Interagency Elevation Inventory. Biggest challenge is determining actual start and end dates the LiDAR is collected. USGS is developing a report on the actual amount of project duplication in response to criticism from OMB. We think most duplication is justified, either the area has been recollected due to temporal changes (aftermath of hurricanes) or to improve resolution.
When the 3DEP program gets funded, and it’s in the President’s budget again, contracts will be for large blocks and competed for. Points will be given for those states that have LiDAR plans. Missouri should consider preparing a plan to complete the state or as much as possible.
MO-AR 2014 LiDAR Project: Tim Donze: acquisition in full swing, starting on hydro enforcement. Expect some delivery in less than a month.
Schell-Osage: USGS waiting return on corrections.
See MSDIS report
USGS is conducting a nationwide survey on the stewardship program. Interviewed Anna Nowak of DNR and provided some excellent suggestions on how we can improve the program.
Marsh: Meeting in Kansas to develop next generation 911 standards. MARC will support whatever Kansas develops. Do not know of any similar effort in Missouri. Spicci: NSGIC is putting a lot of effort into this; suggest getting involved. Discussion. Marsh will chair a committee of stakeholders (including M. Duewell, Briedwell, and Fox) to take up NG911 addressing standards.
Cook: NHD watershed boundary updates coming.
6.2 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
Meeting next month. No matter what.
6.3 Education — Shannon White
Met last month; discussed how to connect GIS professionals with GIS users through a map (locality-based mentoring). GPS and basic GIS camp in Sedalia (Knob Noster) in June; need a substitute. Discussed a web site for interns. Discussed going to teacher conferences. Next meeting is next Monday at 9:00 a.m.
6.4 Outreach — Colin Duewell/Tim Donze
Northeast Regional workshop tentatively on May 22nd at the Home Bank of Hannibal.
6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
6.6 Policy and Legislation — Joe Clayton
No report. White: Federal policy trending toward more money for higher education than K-12.
6.7 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike
6.8 2015 Missouri GIS Conference Planning — Mark Duewell
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Amber Reynolds
Still a few holes in the Symposium program. Exhibits are way down. Get registered! Get your room reservation! Scholarships will be announced today.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci
Mid-year meeting just ending; went well. All presentations and notes are now posted on the web site. GAO attended the entire conference. Expect their report in a year or so. NG911, addressing also big topics. Tribute to Dr. Roger Tomlinson being crafted. Next NSGIC in Charleston, SC. NSGIC will return to Kansas City in 2015.
8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
3DEP “state of the state” report request. Will work on a LiDAR roadmap, but NRCS has little or no interest in the Ozarks. Hope to be contracting for high-resolution imagery.
8.2 USGS — Ray Fox
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
9. Round table Discussion
White: Next GIS training June 16-19. New person in Extension in Laclede Co.
Cook: State Geography Bee April 5th in Moberly.
Spicci: have an opening for an hourly GIS position.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, April 10, 2014, 9:00 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:12 a.m.