Minutes for February 13, 2014

Date: February 13, 2014
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:00 a.m.
Agenda
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:04 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewell—present
USGS Ray Fox—present
OA ITSD GIS Paul Wright—present via teleconference
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell, Chair—present (proxy for Joe Clayton)
MoDOT Joe Carter—present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—present
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—present via teleconference
Missouri National Guard Drew Lane—absent
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schloss—present
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci—present
OA-ITSD Revenue Beth Struempf—present via teleconference
Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources Michael Weller—present
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—excused
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—excused
Great River Associates Josie Bock—present via teleconference
Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Clayton—excused
USDA-NRCS Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer—present
Surdex Tim Donze—excused
MOREnet David Drum, Secretary—excused
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—excused
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—present
Woolpert, Inc. Rick Hammond—present via teleconference
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—present via teleconference
Cole County Melissa Johnson—present
Sanborn Mapping Kenny Legleiter—present via teleconference
MARC Steve Marsh, Past Chair—present
Jackson County Amber Reynolds, Chair-elect—present
City of Jefferson Greg Resz—present via teleconference
MoRAP Diane True—absent
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—absent
Boone County Jason Warzinik— (proxy for Gerike)
MU Extension Shannon White—present
Other Attendees
NW RCoG Nathan Barnes (teleconference)
Surdex Tim Bohn (proxy for Tim Donze) (teleconference)
USFS Tom Forbes (teleconference)
WUSTL Bill Winston (teleconference)

3. Approval of Minutes
January minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from White, seconded by Spicci, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright

  • Imagery Ray Fox provided a copy of a presentation he developed as an overview of the imagery project. I made a few minor modifications to the slides and forwarded this, with an update, to Tom Bliss at MACOG. I requested he review this information. I will plan on following up with him within the next week. I will also be sending the update to SW Council of Governments, Boothill RPC and SE RPC. Jason W. is keeping flymoimagery.com up to date.
  • Google The Google Auditor project for DOLIR was completed and is being moved into production this week. This is the third completed project using the Google toolset. Public safety one in discussion.
  • Consolidation We are continuing to look at GIS server consolidation within the State. There are a few different configurations we are reviewing for cost and efficiency. Hope to have a direction in the next few weeks.
  • Tim Robyn wanted project ideas – Paul put in for imagery across the State. Was selected to move forward but no guarantees at this time.

4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell

  1. Virtualization of the MSDIS-Imagery Servers and storage space upgrade: The implementation planning meeting with DOIT established that the Rolla server and storage will be racked first – then testing and services will occur including eventually putting Rolla online and available – this before any attempts are made to update either Telecomm or North Node. The intent is to avoid any downtime if possible.
  2. GeoPortal: Adding metadata records for imagery and services to the portal: Louisa Haithcoat – our student staff member – has configured 799 of 4973 files that make up the 2007-2009 2’ Imagery for the State for the GeoPortal. When the metadata manipulation required for GIS Inventory/FGDC is complete they’ll all go up at once. Additional Portal cleanup is continues – work is focused on the Portal’s geodatabase.
    New record count is 512 (down from 513 – a duplicate file was removed).
  3. Broadband “Structures” Project: The East-West Gateway contract/MOU is complete. So also the Mid-America contract. The student staff are still working on finishing the MARC RPC. The single RPC (HSTCC) that was unable to accomplish the project due to weather events (among other reasons) has officially notified us they will be unable to continue. In concert with the executive MACOG staff we tried to find additional capacity within the RPCs to complete this work. When it became clear it didn’t exist then it was determined to complete the work at the GRC utilizing the experienced existing staff of students and supervisors. The CAI survey work has already begun with two students making the calls attempting to get the Broadband speed surveys run and other pertinent information required.
    Structures Digitizing Progress: We’re now at 3583547 points (previously 3,511,954) as of this past Monday – and 75188 footprints (previously 74,394) completed or acquired through sharing by communities involved.

4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook

Income None $0.00
Expenses Spicci NSGIC Travel
CMP 10% Downpayment
$1,672.50
Ending balance   $23,589.07

4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
Breidwell nominated USFS for membership. They are to provide their contact info to Tony.
4.5 By-laws — Debbie Briedwell
Briedwell submitted proposed changes on fiscal issues. Marsh asked about the timing of officer elections too but we have a year leeway on that because we are currently under a two-year budget.

5.4 Fiscal Management
The Council’s fiscal year shall begin on July 1 and end on June 30. Following each Biennial Missouri GIS Conference, the Treasurer, with the assistance of the Officers and Committee Chairs, shall prepare a proposed biennial budget of Income, Cyclic Expenses and Discretionary Spending. The budget shall be approved by MGISAC at the June meeting following the conference. At the end of the first year of the biennium, the Treasurer may wish to review and modify the budget for the second year. All requests for payment of expenses or reimbursements of authorized expenditures shall be approved by the Chair and the Treasurer. Any expenditure outside of the approved budget must be approved by the Council.

5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 MAGIC Travel Grants — Debbie Briedwell
MAGIC is offering grants for registration (conference and short course). Each state decides how much to ask for and who to give them to. March 1 deadline. Discussion Shannon asked for 2 student registrations; we are putting out on listserv to see if anyone needs it.
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Ray Fox
Imagery:
NAIP buy up: See Elizabeth Cook’s NRCS report. The estimated cost to buy up to .5 meter resolution is $331,188.
Leaf-Off statewide imagery: Tim Haithcoat prepared a fact sheet on the Statewide Aerial Imagery Program in response to a request from a state senator. Copy of the fact sheet has been submitted to Jason for inclusion on the flymoimagery website. Note the website has been updated with Paul as the principal contact. Ray or Paul will set up a teleconference to discuss further. Some interest.
Elevation:
USGS Fact Sheet: Missouri’s 3DEP fact sheet is in publication review at USGS. This is expected to be released this spring as a USGS fact sheet. Thanks to Liz Cook for her peer review and adding content on Lidar use in the state, along with that of DNR.
MO-ARK 2014 Lidar: The Arkansas Game and Fish entered the consortium with additional funding bringing the total budget over $4 million. Surdex, which won the contract has been collecting as snow or flooding has permitted.
Structures: See Duewell’s report.
6.2 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
Will meet next month.
6.3 Education — Shannon White
Meeting Notes.
Present (In Meeting/On Call) :Joe Eckmann, Joe Carter, Debbie Briedwell, Ray Fox, David Drum, Stan Balsman, Shannon White
Regrets: Diane True, Paul Wright, Steve Marsh

  • Education committee is now focused on education efforts K-12 and College/University whereas education of professionals in GIS is an outreach activity of other parts of MGISAC like the local government committee, etc.
  • There was an expressed need to go to the teachers and provide presentations about GIS and the statewide license for the classrooms. Suggested conferences included MoRENET fall conference (October) and Gifted Educator Conference in October. Missouri Geographic Alliance does attend statewide conference and advertises GIS license while promoting Geography Ed.
  • Note from Shannon for next committee meeting : What could MGISAC, as an organization or individual members, do to support this suggested effort
  • Joe Eckmann shared the effort of the MO Humanities Council. Esri, and John Dies to create a ArcGIS online map and app that has geotriggers and is a historically based game for youth and general public. They should be complete and ready for beta testing with youth in Q1. It will be an Android based game and youth can earn badges for completeing the investigations. Desire for groups like 4-H to assist in the beta testing. It will begin with Hannibal and will work across participating communities on Highway 36.
  • Discussion of GeoMentor type of program in Missouri
  • How would GIS professionals be able to help and how do we identify those who are willing to help education groups
  • GIS professionals can contribute by going out to classrooms and giving presentations (Joe Carter has been doing this recently in upper elementary and middle school classrooms, often focusing on the spatial thinking skills)
  • David suggested that Districts be targeted
  • Teachers willing to attend weekend workshops, causes less problems with district or school release time
  • It was suggested that GIS professionals could do call backs to schools requesting licenses as a “listening” effort to hear what their needs are
  • The need was identified that GIS professionals need resources for going out, such as an idea list of presentation topics, age-appropriate activities, etc.
  • After-school programs are also a way GIS can get into schools, as an individual can start a geography or geospatial club
  • Basics classes that are being offered to professionals by Shannon are including a part that request assistance in youth
  • Needed is some way to match the interested professionals with the youth groups, teachers, etc (Note from Shannon to consider for next meeting: maybe this can be an ArcGIS Online interactive map that asks what their willing to do and specialty areas and they put a dot on the map and fill out the form?)
  • The committee identified a need for an internship page on the website. This is where high school and college aged students could go to find internships and local entities and organizations could post their needs and contact information. This can be both paid and unpaid internships. It was suggested to have some sample ideas put up on the site before emailing the idea out. It was decided that this is something unique that MGISAC could offer and should be separate from MSDIS jobs page though an entity could post to both. There is a need to point students to one place for internships (entities could have full descriptions on their website but could post a link on MGISAC website.
  • Scholarship money for conferences
  • Discussion included requirements of receiving the money, criteria for choosing a student, etc.
  • After lengthy discussion of whether or not to use this year’s $350 for MAGIC it was decided by the committee to hold it and make use of the 2-year total budget of $750 to attempt to get more students to the MO GIS conference in 2015.
  • Need to discuss student participation at conferences, it was suggested that there be a 1 day track or ½ day track that specifically targets teachers and students
  • For next meeting: if you have a suggested question for the scholarship application please bring it forward. The desire is to keep the application simple but to really look at things like the student interest in geospatial
  • Regional workshops
  • The SE workshop that was held at the Career Center in Cape Girardeau allowed students in Andy Tilmon’s AP Human Geography to attend for one hour presentation session. This is one way we can make things available to students at no cost. It was suggested we do more to increase this type of participation at our regional and local events.
  • Next meeting: Feb 21 @ 9am

6.4 Outreach — Colin Duewell
Duewell will be scheduling a NE regional workshop planning teleconference; was going to be joint with Missouri Mappers but the money has been revoked. Tri-Lakes GIS Users group meeting in Branson, Feb. 20 $1–$2.
6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
Display at MAGIC half/half with MSDIS. Flymoimagery.com – need a connect from MGISAC.
6.6 Policy and Legislation — Joe Clayton
MO Geo Alliance – policy advocacy training. March $1–$2. Congressional insight simulation. Shannon offered attendance free.
6.7 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike
No report.
6.8 2015 Missouri GIS Conference Planning — Mark Duewell
Site selection committee conference call. Trimmed properties to 2 in Springfield. Tan-Tar-A does not need to be evaluated and haven’t ruled out Country Club at the Lake. Site visit. We want Jamie to go along, but it would be an extra charge of $250/site. She will waive travel fees. Can we spend $500 for Jamie to go along? MAGIC has done site visits without Jamie. Go on our own was decided.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Amber Reynolds
Symposium early registration by March 15. Posters needed. Parking arrangement – parking passes $6 at Union Station for each time you leave the lot. Exhibitors only half. Conventional sessions are full; short attention span theatre still accepting abstracts.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci

  • Mid-year coming up
  • Reorganizing
  • Vote at mid-year Ivan Weichart retired while past president but he is not participating. By-laws change to allow board to replace past-president. We approved Tony voting yes.
  • Geospatial maturity assessment is online

8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
NAIP Buy UP I was tasked with getting updated information on the opportunity to buy-up the specifications for Missouri’s 2014 NAIP imagery acquisition. Here’s what I learned:

  1. Estimated cost to buy-up from 1m to 0.5m resolution for the entire state is $331,188.00.
  2. In order to participate in a buy-up with USDA, the money must be committed to FSA-APFO BEFORE they go out for bids. They are hoping to go out for bids by April 1, but currently they have no budget allocation so that could be delayed.
  3. It is also allowed, per the NAIP contract, for 3rd parties (like State consortiums, etc) to contract directly with the NAIP vendors for value-added products including higher resolution. To contract with the vendor, we would have to wait for Missouri’s vendor to be selected by APFO, and then contract with them likely before they fly if we desire a higher resolution.

It would seem to me that waiting to deal with the vendor might give us a little more time to get things together.
8.2 USGS — Ray Fox
NHD User Needs Assessment: USGS has at long last received permission to conduct a user needs assessment of the NHD from its stewards. I will be contacting DNR in the near future to request their input. The goal is to see what works and how to improve steward’s use of the NHD. Survey is very similar to the elevation assessment done several years ago, and plans are to publish the results. Note that USGS did not receive permission to survey the Water Boundary Dataset stewards as the survey request was submitted prior to combining the two datasets (yes it takes that long).
Changing USGS liaison position: The evolution of the liaison position continues. Liaisons will continue to support partnership development in elevation and hydrography, but new duties include becoming involved in national Geospatial Program communities of use. What are the challenges faced by geologists, hydrologists or natural resource conservation scientists, and what can NGP do to make our data more valuable and easier to use? All liaisons are being assigned to a specific COU based on their geographic location, interest and technical background.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
No report.
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
MMA Conference July 22 – 25 at the Country Club Lake
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
No report.
9. Round table Discussion
C. Duewell: summer workshop with MO Mappers.
White: GeoTech Camp – registration open.
White: Quarterly hands-on workshops – GIS training.
Carter: GIST appointee showcase of four projects tied to transportation.
Reynolds: 2 unpaid interns.
Spicci: DD – hourly GIS specialist
10. Next meeting: Thursday, March 13, 2014, 9:00 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned.

Comments are closed.