Minutes for January 9, 2014

Date: January 9, 2014
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:00 a.m.
Agenda
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:03 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewell—present
USGS Ray Fox—present
OA ITSD GIS Paul Wright—present via teleconference
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell, Chair—present
MoDOT Joe Carter—present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—present
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—absent
Missouri National Guard Drew Lane—present
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schloss—present
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci—present
OA-ITSD Revenue Beth Struempf—present via teleconference
Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources Michael Weller—present
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—absent
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—present via teleconference
Great River Associates Josie Bock—present via teleconference
Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Clayton—present via teleconference
USDA-NRCS Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer—present
Surdex Tim Donze—excused
MOREnet David Drum, Secretary—present
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—present
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—present
Woolpert, Inc. Rick Hammond—present via teleconference
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—present via teleconference
Cole County Melissa Johnson—present
Sanborn Mapping Kenny Legleiter—absent
MARC Steve Marsh, Past Chair—present via teleconference
Jackson County Amber Reynolds, Chair-elect—present via teleconference
City of Jefferson Greg Resz—absent
MoRAP Diane True—excused
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—present
Boone County Jason Warzinik—present
MU Extension Shannon White—present
Other Attendees
Esri Joe Eckmann (teleconference)
University of Missouri Tim Haithcoat
Mark Twain National Forest Jay Turner (teleconference)
OGI Arnold Williams (teleconference)

3. Approval of Minutes
December minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Cook, seconded by Warzinik, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright
We continue working on a number of state projects and will be doing another round to meet with the IT Customer Service Managers from each of the departments to discuss possible projects. We will also try to identify user contacts in the departments to let them know of our services.
We are revamping some GIS training presentations (for business managers and IT staff) to make available on our web site. Hoping this helps to provide info as to what services we can provide and how GIS can be used by their department.
4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell

  1. Virtualization of the MSDIS-Imagery Servers and storage space upgrade: An implementation planning meeting with DOIT will occur on Monday, January 13th.
  2. GeoPortal: Adding metadata records for imagery and services to the portal: Our student staff member (Louisa) is working with Jason and myself to import the 2007-2008 imagery into the GeoPortal. When the metadata manipulation required for GIS Inventory/FGDC is complete they’ll all go up at once. No projected date of completion on these yet because they’re proving to take a lot more effort than the 2012 NAIP and we’ve only been at it since the New Year. The metadata provided by Surdex (Tim Bohn/Tim Donze) has been very helpful. Most of the issue revolves around reconciling the original title – with the old MSDIS title – with the new naming convention.
    Additional Portal cleanup is continues – work is focused on the Portal’s geodatabase.
    New record count is 513 (down from 515 – duplicate files were removed).
  3. Broadband “Structures” Project: The East-West Gateway contract is still under negotiation. Southwest RPC digitization is complete, the last of the Structures footprints provided by Taney County (Patty) are being attributed and portions are now under review. Most of the student staff are working on the finishing work in the MARC RPC. One RPC (HSTCC) will be unable to accomplish the project due to dealing with the tornado damage and weather events since (among other reasons). This means the GRC will have to complete the CAI surveys and Structures review in-house utilizing the funds originally designated for HSTCC to accomplish this task.
    Progress: We’re now at 3583547 points (previously 3,511,954) as of this past ast Monday – and 75188 footprints (previously 74,394) completed or acquired through sharing by communities involved.

4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook

Expense StartMeeting $90.97
Ending balance   $25,261,57

Pending charge from Custom Meeting Planners for 10% of contract for the 2015 Missouri GIS Conference in the amount of $1,392.50.
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
No report.
4.5 By-laws — Liz Cook
No changes or additions submitted by the ten-day window.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 MAGIC Awards Selection — Debbie Briedwell
Caucus vote held.
5.2 MGISAC 2014 Budget — Liz Cook
Cook reviewed the budget rationale developed during the budget teleconference meeting consisting of most officers and committee chairs. [Handout] Discussion about how conference expenses should be reflected in the budget. Motion from Spicci to accept the budget as presented. Seconded by Gerike. Friendly amendment from Gerike to change “Cyclic or Fixed” and “Fixed Plus Discretionary” to “Cyclic” and “Cyclic and Discretionary”, respectively. Friendly amendment accepted by Spicci. Question from Marsh if this budget actually allocates money for expenditure by committee chairs. Cook answered “yes” and verified that the council understood that as the meaning (yes). Motion approved by vote. Motion from Marsh that the committee chairs bring defined expenditures to the Council for a vote before money is spent. Seconded by Reynolds. Discussion about possible minimum threshold, degree of formality required. Friendly amendment from Gerike to apply motion only to Discretionary spending items. Friendly amendment accepted. Discussion. Motion withdrawn by Marsh. Marsh will bring a motion forward at a future meeting. Motion from Briedwell that all discretionary spending will be pre-approved by the Chair and the Treasurer. Seconded by Warzinik. Discussion. Motion approved by vote.
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Ray Fox
Met yesterday. Elevation project coming along (“MO-Ark”). Had good luck flying Northern Missouri. Map passed around. Snow has affected acquisition. New state park (Zoh?) needs to be mapped. State Imagery contract beginning to be leveraged by different regions.
6.2 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
Will convene to discuss what to do with the statewide GIS survey results.
6.3 Education — Shannon White
Meeting January 28th at 9:00 either at White’s office or on the MGISAC dial-in number. Have talked to Esri about extending the statewide K-12 education license. The only change is that administrative uses are being removed.
6.4 Outreach — Mark Duewell
Looking for contacts in the northeast portion of the state. Planning a workshop in the area.
6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
StartMeeting is available for any MGISAC purpose. A few settings have been changed based on feedback. MAGIC sponsorship will move forward now that the budget has been approved. Suggestion from Haithcoat to combine forces with MSDIS. Warzinik commented that an additional $250 in the sponsorship amount would get us a booth. Warzinik will coordinate with MSDIS.
6.6 Policy and Legislation — Joe Clayton
Session started yesterday at noon. Bills have not been filtered.
6.7 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike
No report. Question from Reynolds about response from CIO about accomplishments. Briedwell has not heard anything back.
6.8 2015 Missouri GIS Conference Planning — Mark Duewell
Have received bid responses from hotels. Some missing information. Site selection committee will meet in the near future.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Amber Reynolds
Symposium is four months away. Registration is open; please register as soon as you can. Still a handful of session slots open. Planning retreat this weekend.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci
GAO will attend the Mid-Year conference. Committees will be reshuffled. Next Generation 911, Addressing will elevate to committee status; others will combine.
8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
No report.
8.2 USGS — Ray Fox
No report.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
No report.
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
Seeking items for the January newsletter. Deadline January 28.
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
No report.
9. Round table Discussion
Gerike: missed
White: ArcGIS training has nearly filled up; a second session has been created at the end of March. Second session will be a little more expensive. Missouri Geographic Alliance meeting this weekend. Adding AP Geography teachers to the conversation. Has anyone installed ArcGIS on Windows 8 and what problems have you run into? 4-H Healthy Living/GIS tieover; seeing someone in or near Pulaski county.
Gordon: Restarting Planning and Zoning project. ArcGIS Direct Connect has not worked since upgrading to 10.1.
Carter: MoDOT migrating to 10.2.
Schloss: DHSS focusing on Warming Center data for SEMA assistance. Partnering with State Fire Marshals collecting GPS data of buildings visited (mentioned Day Care centers).
Spicci: hired new LiDAR analyst. May try to make DEMs available. Upgrading from 9.3.1 to 10.something.
Cook: question about 64-bit vs 32-bit software.
Briedwell: missed
10. Next meeting: Thursday, February 13, 2014, 9:00 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:12 a.m.

Comments are closed.