Date: December 12, 2013
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:00 a.m.
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:03 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions
|Missouri Spatial Data Information Service||Mark Duewell—present|
|OA ITSD GIS||Paul Wright—present via teleconference||State|
|SEMA||Debbie Briedwell, Chair—present|
|MoDOT||Joe Carter—present via teleconference|
|OA ITSD Economic Development||Colin Duewell—present|
|OA Budget and Planning||Matt Hesser—present|
|Missouri National Guard||Drew Lane—excused|
|OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services||Tracy Schloss—present|
|Department of Conservation||Tony Spicci—present|
|OA-ITSD Revenue||Beth Struempf—present via teleconference|
|Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources||Michael Weller—present via teleconference||Cooperating|
|Washington University in St. Louis||Aaron Addison—excused|
|SEMO RPC||Stan Balsman—present via teleconference|
|Great River Associates||Josie Bock—present via teleconference|
|Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors||Joe Clayton—present|
|USDA-NRCS||Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer—present|
|MOREnet||David Drum, Secretary—present|
|City of Columbia||Matt Gerike—excused|
|Camden County||Jennifer Gordon—present via teleconference|
|Woolpert, Inc.||Rick Hammond—present|
|Northwest Missouri State University||Ming-Chih Hung—present via teleconference|
|Cole County||Melissa Johnson—excused|
|Sanborn Mapping||Kenny Legleiter—present via teleconference|
|MARC||Steve Marsh, Past Chair—present|
|Jackson County||Amber Reynolds, Chair-elect—present|
|City of Jefferson||Greg Resz—absent|
|MoRAP||Diane True—present via teleconference|
|City of Maryland Heights||Andy Wagner—present|
|Boone County||Jason Warzinik—present (proxy for Gerike, White)|
|MU Extension||Shannon White—excused||Other Attendees|
|Northwest Regional Council of Governments||Nathan Barnes|
|Webster County 911||Sheila Cantrell|
|Mark Twain National Forest||Tom Forbes|
|OA-ITSD Natural Resources||Kim Hoke|
|Mark Twain National Forest||Jay Turner|
3. Approval of Minutes
November minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Tracy Schloss, seconded by Tony Spicci, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright
- DNR has successfully moved the first Google based application, for their Hazardous Waste function, into production. We are continuing to work on a few other Google projects.
- We have completed a few other projects that help to consolidate services on to an OGI central server. This is part of an overall internal discussion re: enterprise architecture for GIS.
- We have drafted a policy regarding internal state use of free GIS software. This policy will be funneled through the Enterprise Architecture Committee for review and approval.
- I did get a chance to speak with Cy Smith, GIO Oregon, and we had a good exchange of information related to their GIS executive council and what he has seen in other states. It was helpful to get his insights.
4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell
- Virtualization of the MSDIS-Imagery Servers and storage space upgrade: DoIT told us Monday that the equipment is in to begin construction and implementing a backup server at Rolla with additional storage space available to all MSDIS servers. An in-house implementation planning meeting will be next week (17th). Then we’ll meet with DoIT to discuss the proposed plan and timelines.
- GeoPortal: Adding metadata records for imagery and services to the portal: Our thanks to Surdex (Tim Bohn/Tim Donze) who have provided copies of the original metadata for the 2007-2008 Imagery for the State flights. These data will eventually be loaded in the portal. Additional Portal cleanup is underway and older data sets are finally beginning to get loaded. New record count is 515 (up from 509).
- GIS Inventory/Data.gov: We’re assisting NSGIC with nailing down several issues with the GIS Inventory as they continue to update their system. These issues are not impacting access to Missouri’s data; the errors are occurring on the administrative side of the application. Recently the 2012 Missouri NAIP data tiles maintained at MSDIS began to show up in the inventory for the first time.
- Broadband “Structures” Project: The East-West Gateway contract is at the University Sponsored Program Office under review. The student staff continue to work on completing the remaining counties of the Southwest RPC and then there is still some finishing work in the MARC RPC. East West Gateway still needs to be started digitizing but is working on the Phase 1 CAI surveys. Greenhills has been trained and has started their local review of their Structures geodatabase. HSTCC has been reviewed here at the University and we’re working with them to schedule an onsite training date.
Progress: We’re now at 3,511,954 points as of last Wednesday and 74,394 footprints completed or acquired through sharing by communities involved.
Whiteman is flying 6″ LiDAR and will probably move to 3″. Whiteman has been a Council member in the past and hope to have it again.
4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook
Startup costs for StartMeeting bill pending; not posted yet.
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
Michael Weller will now represent DNR.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 MGISAC 2014 Budget — Liz Cook
|Airfare to Midyear Meeting||$300|
|Hotel at Midyear Meeting||$500|
|Meals at Midyear Meeting||$100|
|Geography of GIS in Missouri Survey and Report||$1,000|
|Hands-on Technical Workshop (Pilot)||$1,000|
|Marketing and Communications|
|Website expenses for Dreamhosting (MGISAC, FlyMoImagery, MoGISConference)||$150|
|MGISAC flyer printing (to go with booth display)||$200|
|Sponsorships for conferences (MMA, MAGIC, etc)||$1,000|
|StartMeeting.com (for ScreenSharing)||$200|
|GeoTech Camp Grant||$475|
|K-12 Education Scholarships||$750|
|Competitive Graduate Scholarship||$1,000|
Discussion about one-year to two-year budget. Marsh pointed out the experiences of MAGIC when budget terms do not match officer terms. Discussion about the amount budgeted, what it means over a two-year period, and whether we should budget such a large percentage of Council funds. Discussions about the amount, sustainability, how much should be set aside for conference expenses and contingencies, suggestion of a budget workgroup. Marsh expressed the view that the problem with the budget discussion stems from a lack of a strategic plan. Motion from Briedwell to move to a two-year budget, seconded by C. Duewell. Passed with two nays and two abstaining. Motion from Marsh, seconded by Cook, to set the fiscal year from October 1 to September 30. Discussion about why we would want to break from the State and University fiscal cycle. Motion failed. Need to set fiscal year in the by-laws expressed. Motion from Cook that the two-year budget cycle begin July 1, 2014, and will rework the first draft budget. Multiple seconds. Friendly amendment from Briedwell to move date back to July 1, 2013. Friendly amendment accepted. Motion passed.
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Ray Fox
Imagery: Nothing to report. Elevation: Mo-ARK 2014 Lidar Project: Project came in under budget, NRCS, Memphis Corps are choosing additional areas for collection. Cook: adding three counties, not sure which yet. Fox: Structures: See MSDIS report, item #4. The fall meeting did not occur, will be calling a meeting in January or February. Marsh: MARC vendor to be announced tomorrow. Hoping for USGS funding. Donze: there is talk of expanding the APFO buy-up options from one meter to half-meter.
6.2 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
Nothing to report.
6.3 Education — Shannon White
6.4 Outreach — Tim Donze, Colin Duewell
Targeting a late-spring workshop.
6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
- StartMeeting update: After some further testing, it looks like the issues we had during the last meeting’s presentation screen share was related to the PC and use of the 3G wireless connection. Before we do another presentation screen share we will been to make sure we are on a Wifi or wired network connection.
- MAGIC Sponsorship: In an effort to not have a long discussion during our monthly meeting on this topic; below is a summary of our committee’s discussion regarding MAGIC sponsorship. The discussion started with the proposal that we pay for booth space for our display (current photo is attached) and also the mobile app ad for a total of $750. Our discussions came back to evaluating the benefits of what we sponsor in regards to awareness, exposure, and support of the GIS community. In the end we ended up with four cost options for consideration by whole group during tomorrow’s meeting. Option #2 is $500 more than our current budget request for the whole year for conference sponsorships:
- Friends of MAGIC (Tier I) – general sponsorship (no display) for a total of $250
- Friends of MAGIC (Tier II) – booth space for our display for $500
- Friends of MAGIC (Tier II) – booth space for our display, plus the mobile app ad for $750.
- Friends of MAGIC (Tier II) – booth space for our display, plus mobile app ad, and photo booth (1 more available as of 12/9) for a total of $1500.
If you would like to review more info on the available MAGIC sponsorship options please visit http://www.Magicgis.org/exhibitors
MAGIC sponsorship tabled until next month pending budget discussion.
6.6 Policy and Legislation — Joe Clayton
Nothing to report.
6.7 Strategic Planning — Debbie Briedwell
Met last week, listed strengths and accomplishments which have been delivered to the State CIO.
6.8 Missouri GIS Conference Planning — Mark Duewell
2015 site selection committee met by phone on 11/25. Answered CMP questions holding up going out to hotels for bids. Strong feeling that meals needs to be improved. Will use hotel bids to determine Monday through Wednesday or Tuesday through Thursday schedule toward the end of February/beginning of March. Will work to move posters into exhibit hall.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Amber Reynolds
Spicci: final planning retreat in January. Looking for abstract submissions and exhibit registrations.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci
- NSDI Strategic Plan
DECISION: The NGAC approved a resolution endorsing the NSDI Strategic Plan. The Strategic Plan has also been forwarded to the FGDC Steering Committee for final adoption.
- A-16/Portfolio Management Implementation Plan
ACTION: FGDC will distribute the draft A-16/Portfolio Management Implementation Plan to NGAC members for review and comment in mid-January 2014. Additional details and instructions will be provided prior to distribution.
- NGAC Subcommittee Reports
ACTION: The FGDC will incorporate the feedback and suggestions from the NGAC subcommittee reports into the development of the 2014 FGDC guidance to the NGAC. The new guidance will be developed in early 2014.
DECISION: The NGAC adopted three papers developed by the Landsat Advisory Group:
NGAC Landsat Product Improvement Paper
NGAC Landsat Cloud Computing Paper
NGAC Comments on NRC Landsat Report
Lots of momentum around addressing right now at all levels. Best: LUCA will not be replaced; new program will feed in to LUCA.
8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
Not enough staff to go out into the field anymore.
8.2 USGS — Ray Fox
LiDAR specification 1.1 under development.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
Nothing to report.
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
Nothing to report.
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
9. Round table Discussion
C. Duewell: Fox, Briedwell, Marsh, Haithcoat, Cook recorded as being interested in the Outreach committee.
Schloss: Have updated the warming center map; will distribute soon. Fewer warming centers than cooling centers due to lack of ability for overnight.
Reynolds: County is almost done with 9.3. 10.2 will introduce parcel fabric workflow manager and data reviewer.
Briedwell: have received approval to begin using Esri cloud services. Also, the pricing of Community Analyst has changed (improved) within ArcGIS Online.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, January 9, 2014, 9:00 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:12 a.m.