Minutes for November 14, 2013

Minutes for November 14, 2013

Date: November 14, 2013
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:00 a.m.
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:03 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewell—present
USGS Ray Fox—present
OA ITSD GIS Paul Wright—present via teleconference
SEMA Debbie Briedwell, Chair—present
MoDOT Joe Carter—present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—present
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—present
OA-ITSD Natural Resources Kim Hoke—absent
Missouri National Guard Drew Lane—absent
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schloss—present
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci—present
OA-ITSD Revenue Beth Struempf—present via teleconference
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—excused
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—present
Great River Associates Josie Bock—present via teleconference
Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Clayton—absent
USDA-NRCS Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer and Past Chair—present
Surdex Tim Donze—present
MOREnet David Drum, Secretary—present
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—present
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—excused
Woolpert, Inc. Rick Hammond—excused
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—present via teleconference
Cole County Melissa Johnson—present
Sanborn Mapping Kenny Legleiter—present via teleconference
MARC Steve Marsh, Past Chair—present via teleconference
Jackson County Amber Reynolds, Chair-elect—present
City of Jefferson Greg Resz—present
MoRAP Diane True—present via teleconference
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—present
Boone County Jason Warzinik—present
MU Extension Shannon White—present
Other Attendees
OGI Alexis Geiseker
Woolpert, Inc. Sam Moffett (teleconference)
State of Oregon Cy Smith, GIO
MoDOT Arnold Williams

3. Approval of Minutes
September minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Spicci, seconded by Donze, approved by vote.
October minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Spicci, seconded by Warzinik, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright

  • Worked with OA Purchasing on a Imagery contract update due to a name change for Aerometric to Quantum Spatial. That change should be complete.
  • OGI staff attended ESRI training in St. Charles in October.
  • There is a GIS session for anyone interested:

    What: State ArcGIS User Group Meeting
    When: GIS Day! November 20th from 1:30-3:30pm
    Where: MoDOT Motor Carrier Services, 1320 Creek Trail Drive, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0893


    Welcome: Jay Whaley

    State Presentation:
    Joe Carter, MoDOT
    2013 State Highway Map

    Esri Presentation:
    Joe Eckmann and Dan Haag
    ArcGIS for State Government
    The ArcGIS Platform at v. 10.2

    Wrap Up

4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell

  1. Virtualization of the MSDIS-Imagery Servers and storage space upgrade: We’re testing some Geoportal and other software updates on an offline server preparatory to the purchased equipment arriving on campus.
  2. GeoPortal: Adding metadata records for imagery and services to the portal: The entire NAIP 2012 is now available via the geoportal. New record count is 509 (up from 389).
  3. GIS Inventory/Data.gov:
    Harvesting of data files within the MSDIS geoportal began October 11th – several additional harvest have been accomplished since as portal numbers increased with the addition of the NAIP files. Records harvested by GIS Inventory are – in turn – passed to Data.gov so effectively we’re being harvested by both entities. Periodic harvests will pick up newer or changed/updated records.
  4. Broadband “Structures” Project:
    Mark Duewell presented to STARRS membership at East-West Gateway on October 17th. The presentation’s theme was designed to encourage support and assistance in collecting the CAI survey information by the various participating entities. The remaining limited “structures” student staff are making measured progress in completing the remaining counties of the Southwest RPC and then there is some finishing work in the MARC RPC. East West Gateway awaits still. Greenhills and HSTCC are in final review. Greenhills will likely be scheduled for their on-site training next week.
    Progress: We’re now at 3,482,775 points as of last Wednesday – and 47,285 footprints completed.
    As a side note – a small contract has been negotiated – at MoKan’s request – for MSDIS student staff to digitize and attribute the two MoKan Kansas counties (Atchison and Doniphan) not included in the MO Broadband Structures project (naturally). This is a completely separate effort in both the fiscal and staff time aspects (as it must be). We will be coordinating this effort with the DASC staff (Ken Nelson and Eileen Battles).

Discussion about availability of LiDAR data, how the agreement between MSDIS and WUSTL is functioning, whether there is an MOU or other documentation describing expectations. Meeting will be called to
4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook
Thanks to

Previous balance   $25521.54
Income None $0.00
Expense SEMO Workshop Meals $250.00
Ending balance   $25271.54

Two pending payments, mailing expenses for Geography Awareness Week and past conference call charges. Audrey Clark is the new MU Department of Geography fiscal contact.
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
No one has sought to join or leave the council in the last month.
4.5 By-laws — Debbie Briedwell
No submissions for by-laws changes.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 GIS Management in Oregon — Cy Smith, Oregon GIO
Presentation Slides Presentation Recording (begins at 34 minutes 30 seconds)
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Ray Fox

  • Elevation – The 2014 lidar project continues to move forward. NRCS has obligated their money, Memphis Corps is completing its requirements for the bootheel and NE Arkansas area, USGS Geology has verbally committed funds, and pre-proposals for NGS (Geospatial Program) funding are due Nov 22.
  • Hydrography – Change in the NHD grant to DNR has been completed. John Madras is now the Principal Investigator replacing Jeff Schloss.
  • PLSS – DNR Geological Survey requested PLSS be added to the US Topo maps when next updated in 2015. Doing this requires Missouri to supply the PLSS to BLM and have it accepted in time for US Topo production. Geological Survey has asked that Paul Wright’s group contact BLM and provide the data. Note that USGS will be loading data for Missouri during 2014 and has no control over BLM’s work schedule.
  • Imagery – During 2014 USGS will be evolving away from any participation in imagery other than NAIP. This affects USGS liaisons working to develop partnerships on behalf of NGA for the Urban Area Program, and NGTOC in performing QA on high resolution imagery. Ingrid Landgraf is working on documentation to keep Kansas City in the 2014 QA plan, St Louis and Jefferson City will not be in the QA plan. It is still unclear what NGA will do. Due to this decision, a new lead for the state-wide imagery project is needed.

Cook reported a large LiDAR acquisition, everything north of the Missouri river plus the Bootheel, is going well.
6.2 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
Will send budget request for the year to Cook.
6.3 Education — Shannon White
Geography Awareness Week starts next week. GIS Day is next Wednesday. If you are hosting an event, please register it as it will count toward outreach hours required by the Esri site license. Missouri Geographic Alliance conference was last weekend and will plan a student track for next year. Smith: about two dozen Governors have signed the AAG resolution on STEM education, but not Missouri. Related Oregon’s experiences.
6.4 Outreach — Debbie Briedwell
Still looking for a new committee chair. In discussion with people.
6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
Will send budget request for the year to Cook. Will test out the SmartMeeting service more, though it was running on a mobile device today rather than WiFi.
6.6 Policy and Legislation — Joe Clayton
No report.
6.7 Strategic Planning — Shannon White
Lots to address, will reconvene shortly and try to start small.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Amber Reynolds
Focus remains on the Symposium. Spicci: exhibitor registration is open and online. Booths are first-come, first-served. Attendee registration will open soon, waiting on short courses to be finalized. Call for abstracts is open; looking for more lightning talks (short attention span theater). Nominations will open soon and you are encouraged to nominate someone. Less expensive parking is being negotiated with Union Station. Reynolds: will MGISAC sponsor the MAGIC Symposium? Discussion about different levels and options. Marketing and Communications committee will advance a budget amount and recommendation at a future meeting.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci

  • Presentations from recent conference are now online under Conference Archives. Google Docs notes are still online though being filtered by the State’s firewall.
  • Developments in drones UAVs UASs. They’re coming—smile for the camera.
  • Addressing, privacy, geospatial inventory, lots more.
  • Mid-year conference is only four months away.

8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
Three-year project to develop in-house GIS software delivered, determined unusable, and retired. Limping along with older Esri tools.
8.2 USGS — Ray Fox
Need a new imagery project lead. Briedwell to talk to Wright.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
No report.
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
No report.
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
No report.
9. Round table Discussion
M. Duewell: Please add the Missouri GIS Conference on the monthly agenda. Conference call on 11/22 at 9 a.m. to begin site selection process. Follow-up conference call will occur after the new year.
Warzinik: have jumped into ArcGIS Online for Organizations, have created some story maps.
White: three-day ArcGIS Drivers Permit January 7-9. People will be able to sign up for just one day. More information to come.
Wagner: flying mostly the same areas with the same entities as in 2010. Using the State imagery contract.
Resz: have created a crime map, available to 911 operators. Rolled out fire inspection map, complete with inspection form.
Cook: student with very strong spatial skills at Rock Bridge HS, applying for Air Force Academy. Had request to buy Google Earth Pro, seeking input on the tool versus existing tools. Discussion. Briedwell will talk to Wright and report back.
Marsh: MARC received all bids, will have a meeting next week. Google has already approached MARC about buying imagery.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, December 12, 2013, 9:00 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:59 a.m.

Comments are closed.