Minutes for June 12, 2014

Date: June 12, 2014
Location: Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Time: 9:00 a.m.
Agenda
1. Call to Order
Meeting called to order at 9:00 a.m.
2. Welcome and Introductions

Ex-officio
Missouri Spatial Data Information Service Mark Duewell—present
USGS Ray Fox—present
OA ITSD GIS Paul Wright—present
State
SEMA Debbie Briedwell, Chair—present
MoDOT Joe Carter—present
OA ITSD Economic Development Colin Duewell—present
OA Budget and Planning Matt Hesser—present
Missouri National Guard Drew Lane—present
OA-ITSD Health and Senior Services Tracy Schloss—present
Department of Conservation Tony Spicci—present
OA-ITSD Revenue Beth Struempf—excused
Missouri Dep’t of Natural Resources Michael Weller—present
Cooperating
Washington University in St. Louis Aaron Addison—present via teleconference
SEMO RPC Stan Balsman—present
Great River Associates Josie Bock—present via teleconference
Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors Joe Clayton—absent
USDA-NRCS Elizabeth Cook, Treasurer—present
Surdex Tim Donze—present
MOREnet David Drum, Secretary—present
Mark Twain National Forest Tom Forbes—present via teleconference
City of Columbia Matt Gerike—present
Camden County Jennifer Gordon—present
Woolpert, Inc. Rick Hammond—excused
Northwest Missouri State University Ming-Chih Hung—excused
Cole County Melissa Johnson—present
MARC Steve Marsh, Past Chair—absent
Jackson County Amber Reynolds, Chair-elect—present
City of Jefferson Greg Resz—present
MoRAP Diane True—present via teleconference
City of Maryland Heights Andy Wagner—absent
Boone County Jason Warzinik—present
MU Extension Shannon White—present
Other Attendees
NW RCoG Nathan Barnes (teleconference)
Esri Joe Eckmann (teleconference)
Woolpert, Inc. Brad Fugate (teleconference)
MU Tim Haithcoat
Missouri National Guard Wiley Howell
City of Columbia Nathan Mattox
Missouri CIO Tim Robyn
OA/ITSD Jeff Schloss
OGI Arnold Williams (proxy for Beth Struemph)
GRC/MSDIS Martin Wills

Tim Robyn, State of Missouri CIO
Supports MGISAC. Sees its role should be somewhere between sharing platform and authoritative voice for GIS. Influential body. Discussion about formalizing existence and authority of council. Desire to move away from imagery being a project to a program. Discussion about how topic education can drift into lobbying.
3. Approval of Minutes
May minutes available on the web site. Motion to approve from Johnson, seconded by Cook, approved by vote.
4. MGISAC Administration
4.1 Missouri OGI Report — Paul Wright

  • Imagery/Data Development
    As an update on new decision items sent to the legislature, some monies were received by ITSD but there was no direction of how those will be distributed to the 40+ projects that were submitted. The indication is that some details on funding should be available by early July.
  • Internal Projects
    Server Consolidation – We have the servers in place and will begin to move services and data to the new boxes. It is estimated that all tasks will be completed late summer. This will reduce overall server and software costs.
  • Google Update – The Department of Public Safety has decided not to use Google for its GIS development. This will leave DNR and DOLIR to share the next maintenance payment in September. DNR is using the Google Earth and Fusion servers, DOLIR utilizes the Google Map API for its Auditor mapping application.
  • Personnel Update – Beth Struempf has been transferred from ITSD-DOR to ITSD-GIS as of June 1. Beth will continue to provide GIS support for Revenue.
  • Mobile Friendly Maps – As part of the overall IT upgrades to enable Missouri government web sites to be mobile accessible, we have begun to make changes to maps currently on the sites. Tracy Schloss has been working on DHSS maps to move away from FLEX to Javascript. Future mapping projects will be developed with mobile in mind.
  • Other
    Paul was invited to provide an update of OGI at the Northeast Missouri Regional GIS Workshop in Hannibal on May 22nd. The session was well attended and had a number of interesting sessions. Thanks to Tim Donze and Colin Duewell for the invite!

4.2 MSDIS report — Mark Duewell

  1. After rebuilding and updating both servers MSDISWEB-NN (North Node) is back up and fully functional – there is still some minor cartography tweeking that needs to be accomplished on the GeoPortal. MSDISWEB-TC still has a single outstanding issue we believe is embedded in the Load Balancer and DNS services – we feel we are very close to knocking that problem out.
    Louisa Haithcoat’s configuration of the 2007-2009 2’ Imagery for the State for the GeoPortal is making good progress again (congratulate her when you see her – she’s recently married and on her honeymoon). It sounds as if she’ll be with us through the end of the summer. The count shows 2158 complete of 4973 files. When the metadata manipulation required for GIS Inventory\FGDC is complete they’ll all go up at once. Current Portal record count is still 530.
  2. Structures Digitizing Progress: We’re now in the process of review and analysis of the data points and footprints as more RPCs return their reviewed data. NOTE: We already know from the data trends (with only 3 RPCs Phase II data still due) that the number will lower than previously reported as duplicates and changes have brought the number below the 5 million number the GRC staff have been reporting as created. The difference in reported numbers is due to the removal of user supplied nulls (by us) and a number of duplicate points and footprints (by the RPCs) as part of the review the data sets receive prior to finalizing. However – we are still digitizing in East-West Gateway and we expect that will increase the numbers again to some extent.
  3. MSDIS staff attended and presented at the NEMO Regional Geospatial Workshop on May 22nd. A large number (7) of the Structures student staff were also able to attend and hear a RPC (Mark Twain COG) explain how they’re utilizing the data created by the students in regional projects.
  4. MSDIS Staff recently attended the May Tri-Lakes user group meeting in Branson.

4.3 Treasurer's report — Liz Cook

Previous balance   $21,563.15
Income None $0.00
Expense None $0.00
Ending balance   $21,563.15

Report of individual committee expenses. Discussion about NSGIC membership level with respect to costs. Motion from White to approve budget adjustment to pay NSGIC State Leadership dues of $1,500 pending any funding offset from the CIO office. Seconded by Warzinik. M. Duewell comments that we should name individuals who are working on NSGIC priority projects, and not merely Council officers. C. Duewell asks if the budget can absorb the additional expense. Motion passed unanimously. Cook: expenses made on behalf of MGISAC have to have used a tax exempt letter; the University will not reimburse sales tax. White will prepare a tax exempt and expense report form for MGISAC.
4.4 Membership report — Tony Spicci
No nomination from Sanborn to replace Kenny Legleiter. Renominations in process.
4.5 By-laws — Liz Cook
No changes.
5. Project Updates/Action Items
5.1 GIS Day — Paul Wright
Trying to determine interest in reviving GIS Day, which is November 19 this year. Discussion about time of year, i.e. on GIS Day or during the legislative session. Rotunda space may need to be scheduled two years in advance to get a desirable day and space. Planning to be delegated to one or more of the relevant committees.
5.2 Local Government Survey — Matt Gerike
Survey results report has been sent out twice.
5.3 Meeting Locations — Amber Reynolds
Would like to suggest rotating between Jefferson City and Columbia. Motion from Gerike to rotate on a three-month schedule between Jefferson City, Columbia, and other points in the state. Seconded by White. Discussion about the possibility of site visits when at satellite locations, need for phone and internet access. Motion passes.
5.4 NSGIC Membership — Amber Reynolds
Will send out an email to solicit names for NSGIC membership.
6. Committee Reports
6.1 Data Development — Ray Fox
Imagery: NAIP half meter buy up is dead.
NGA Urban Area Coordination: NGA is working with the Eros Data Center (EDC) to replace the liaison function. EDC remains the federal archive for imagery.
Lidar: Second delivery of the MO AR 2014 Lidar project scheduled for next week. USACE St Louis has interest in Gasconade County at level 3 collection (one meter). This would complete the counties bordering the Missouri river.
Addressing: no update.
Structures: already covered.
6.2 Local Government — Melissa Johnson
Gerike: GIS at City of Moberly.
6.3 Education — Shannon White
Will not meet again until August. ArcGIS Online is now free for K-12 nationally through Esri’s participation in ConnectED. White will no longer have any knowledge of which schools are using ArcGIS. Geotech camp will map invasive species at Eagle Bluffs.
6.4 Outreach — Colin Duewell, Tim Donze
Fifty attendees at the northeast workshop. Survey will go out tomorrow. Southeast Missouri symposium taking place this fall. Also time for another LiDAR workshop.
6.5 Marketing and Communications — Jason Warzinik
Have an HTML email template created for Missouri GIS Conference promotion. Planning to update WordPress soon.
6.6 Policy and Legislation — Joe Clayton
No report.
6.7 Strategic Planning — Matt Gerike
Draft strategic plan in August.
6.8 Missouri GIS Conference — Mark Duewell
Conference committee has been formed. Budget meeting on 6/23.
7. Liaison Reports
7.1 MAGIC Consortium — Amber Reynolds
Biennial elections have been held; four of nine officers are from Missouri.
7.2 National States Geographic Information Council — Tony Spicci
Spicci to provide written report soon.
8. Cooperating Agency/Organization Reports
8.1 NRCS — Liz Cook
2014 NAIP is or will soon be flown. Vendors are setting up a GIS service to provide imagery to funding agencies.
8.2 USGS — Ray Fox
Broad Area Announcement for 3 DEP expected late summer, fall.
Your new USGS Geospatial Liaison is yet to be named. I have completed a list of contacts and important committees with MGISAC on top of the list. Expect this person to attend regularly by phone. Only thing I know for sure is that it will be a MAGIC member.
8.3 Missouri Resource Assessment Partnership — Diane True
Work with EastWest Gateway has been presented to the St. Louis GIS User Group.
8.4 Missouri Mappers Association — Melissa Johnson
Registration is open for the MMA conference July 22-25 at the Country Club Hotel and Spa.
8.5 Missouri Society of Professional Surveyors — Joe Clayton
No report.
9. Round table Discussion
Briedwell: Capstone ’14 taking place later this month. Would like to test use of Esri collector. Trying to get a lot of people to submit data. Will send out email Thursday asking for participants. Can participate from smart phone or laptop.
White: GIS Day theme this year is The Future of Food. Should resonate well in Missouri. Geography Awareness Week is November 17-23. Another GIS training next week.
Fox: Thank you for the retirement party.
Spicci: new ecologist started recently, interviewing for other open position.
Reynolds: Procuring enterprise asset management system; will impact GIS.
10. Next meeting: Thursday, July 10, 2014, 9:00 a.m., Conservation Employees' Credit Union Auditorium, Jefferson City, MO
Meeting adjourned at 11:49 a.m.

Comments are closed.